Monday, October 23, 2006
more further close-ups

This is such a beautiful flowerimg stalk...from a different type of Agave than the other flowering projectile in my last 'close-ups' post....This agave is incredibly beautiful, too...Look at the color of those flowers...they are totally different from that one in my last post...And, by the way, after an agave flowers, it then dies. (Except for certain Agave's....) And as I said before, this flowering can go on for months and months.....but, when it is over, so is the life of the agave....Sometimes it takes a whole year for that process and of course the minute you see that it is going to flower, you have plenty of time to get used to the idea that the days of the life of that particular plant are numbered....I wonder if it hurts as the 'life' is slowly leaving them?

And here is the 'far away shot' of this same flower before I got into playing with the getting-in-closer-cause-it-pleases-me-so-much mode.... The thing about this particular agave (and many agave's for that matter...) is that you can plant a single one and within a few years you have a cluster of them....thats how they do....they give of babies and then those plants give off more babies....wonderful, isn't it?

Do any of you remember when I had a pair of doves sitting on some eggs down in the very tall Euphobia Amak Verigated on the side of my house last spring? Well, here is one of them in 'close-up'...I honestly don't know if it Momma or Poppa.... But I got a wonderful picture of this one's mate, too....which was a truly amazing thing for me.... I love watching Morning Doves sit on their eggs, because nothing deters them. They sit like peaceful meditative statues with only one important thing that they must do at this time---magnificent caring little sweethearts that they are---protecting their offspring....there certainly are some humans who could learn a lesson from this devotion, aren't there? (Pickalish knows who I'm talking about....)

And here is a 'close-up' of this bed of succulants I posted many months ago....from a picture I took on one of my walks. You can really see why this plant is called a 'succulant'...it looks absolutely edible here, doesn't it? The color of this plant is magnificent, too and is somewhat afffected by the rays of the sun....it sure is pretty....

This is another 'George' flower picture. There were these tiny little bugs on this particular flower one day...teeny tiny....but the light was hitting the flower in such a way that I was able to get some pictures of them....I couldn't get this picture any bigger than this...I'm sure there is some reason but it is just too deep for me to understand....anyway, I'm thrilled I got this to post at all! There are a couple of others that just will not post...and I think it has to do with their size....anyway...I love this picture because the petals with the light coming through when blown up this big are just stunning, stunning, stunning....!
This one is not quite as dramatic, but I am just thrilled to be able to see the definition of these bugs so wonderfully...the light is quite different in this one, but still, this picture pleases me a lot!

And one more of these 'George' Flower bug pictures...again, the light just knocks me out here....this is the best of the best, for me.... Remember, this flower is only 1 1/2 inches when it is wide open....And this next picture is the original photograph....and the flower looks huge in this picture....but it is not. Again, natures miracles in a cactus! And now, for a complete change of pace....I give you a little sweet bird in silouette....I think he is just adorable, standing on one leg! This is that beautiful Night Blooming Cereus that has so much fruit on it right now...he kind of looks like he is doing a little dance here....

Here are some lush flowers from that Date Palm I have written about before and in the last 'close-up' post I showed some fronds of this plant. The flowers on this beautiful Palm are in huge clusters, as you can see.... And the color is such a rich rich yellow....it almost looks good enough to eat....like popcorn!

Here is a 'close-up' of the inside of the Euphorbia Lambii Flowers...this is the beautiful plant that is part of my template up there at the top and to the right.... These are so very delicate and intricate in their simplicity....each of those little pea like things inside that beautiful small soft cup....wow!

And last, (at least for this post) but not least....here is my darling buddy...my dear dear warm and loving little pal, in all his beauty...."The Mister"....aka.....Sweetie.... He is the softest, warmest, dearest, and sweetest kitty I've ever known....I am so very grateful that he is in my life. I love him with all my heart and feel so very lucky that we met up seven years ago....He is the best of the best, I tell you....


And here is something I found on Mar's blog....it's fun to do and is my little nod to 'the season'.....

Carve your own pumpkin at pYzam.com!




More To Come.....








28 Comments:
had this to say:

As usual, great pictures, but your cat is precious! We can't have cats because of Owen's allergies and asthma. I've had cats all of my life and I miss them so. Sigh. One day!

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 1:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those Euphorbia Lambii are really fantastic. I love the flowers but this one seems to be standing out. Cute morning dove. It's wonderful that he has nested on your garden. The kitty is so cute. I don't have cat pets. I used to have dog pets but now with my grandson, my hands are full.

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 5:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

As always, great shots!
Really I agree with you, Sweetie is the sweetest kitty I've ever see! His blue eyes are just gorgeous!

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 6:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, I forgot to say that is very cool this pumpkin! Thank you!

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 6:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

beautiful shots! Awww, Sweetie has the bluest eyes!!!

I think that bird is practicing Karate! I saw the "crane pose" done in Karate Kid! lol

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 6:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

you do get up early to post, naomi. or maybe it was "late" - but thank you far all the great pics and the loving descriptions of life in your yard. moring doves have always been particularly adorable to me. i can imitate their cooing

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 6:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

More wonderful awesome photos Naomi!! You never cease to amaze me with your talents!! Love the flower pictures and the doves, all just awesome pictures!!!

Thanks for putting one of Sweetie up. He is adorable and those darling blue eyes!!! I'm so glad you have each other!! I know how special cats are!

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 7:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What wondrful pictures. I have not see n apiccy of your cat before, he is gorgeous. What wonderful blue eyes. The pictures of the doves on thier nests are precious too.

Have a good day

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 9:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your cat looks like a nice one. :)
and the pics of the doves were beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Kendra

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 12:33:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

How did you get so close to the dove?! You must have a good zoom lens. It almost doesn't look real.

So much to see and take in here. What exotic variety!

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 12:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I just love looking at your wonderful pictures. The dove is just darling:-). And you're precious kitty Cat is just adorable, and those pretty blues eyes sparkling:-).
Have A Great Day!!

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 1:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your cat has the most amazing blue eyes I've ever seen..........

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 2:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, what wonderful pictures as ever! I really love the ones of the dove and the one of your pretty little cat is absolutely adorable. I've said it before but you definitely have an eye for photographing nature.

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 2:27:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Sweetie is one handsome kitty! And he does look very sweet. What a kind, loving thing to say about him.
Your mourning doves are just fantastic. I have never seen mine sitting on eggs only eating in the yard and your photos are much closer than any I have!

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 2:53:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Sweetie is one handsome kitty! And he does look very sweet. What a kind, loving thing to say about him.
Your mourning doves are just fantastic. I have never seen mine sitting on eggs only eating in the yard and your photos are much closer than any I have!

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 2:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Woow, Naomi: you know I love to read your post and with all this pictures it was no exception. Thank you so much for sharing. You really are capturing well, also in macro! Looking forward to more to come:-)

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 2:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I think the top photo of the doves has to be the male, since it is more colorful than the other one. I love the beautiful blues and mauves in his feathers!

Your tiny bugs are aphids, Naomi, and they suck the juices right out of the plants and flowers.

Sweetie has the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen in a cat.

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 7:52:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Aphids, Judy? Ladybugs, must get ladybugs. How long does it take the agave to bloom, in other words, how long do they have to live from the time they are planted until they flower and die? How sad, they are beautiful, even without the blooms.

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 9:35:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow! Another set of lovely pictures. But I love the face picture of your cat. What a beautiful set of blue eyes!

Btw, regarding the film actually on the original clip the video looks very much lighter. I dunno once I ported it on Youtube it became a bit darker. Usually they automatically compressed or something the video so it will fit for web purposes. So the wuality is lower. I will find a suitable means later when I am going to show the full version of that film.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 2:37:00 AM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

I was scraping ice off my windshield this AM...

Then I remembered your garden. It'll keep me green through the winter.

Nice photos, as always, Naomi.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 9:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, I love so many of these photos. I loved the little pea cups and the yellow popcorn, and the doves look soft as watermelon suede! But of course, my favorite is Sweetie. Those eyes! What a face. :)
~S

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 9:50:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Sweetie is just beautiful! As for the other photos I could easily see a huge version of either the succulents or the first dove above my mantle in the living room. You definitely have an eye for art!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 11:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Okay... now I just have to know... WHAT KIND of camera do you use? When you can get clear precise shots of the aphids on your flowers, I NEED one of those cameras! (did I ask you this before?) I'm all the time asking ... all the time hoping I'll be able to afford a REALLY good camera too! LOL!

As usual... beautiful shots Naomi! I DO love those doves!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 2:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Gord is into cacti so enjoys looking at your pix. He tried to grow some lithops a couple years ago from seeds but they didn't take :(

The Mister is a sweetie! Kitties are great, aren't they??

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 4:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Aw, Sweetie is so pretty!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 5:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I forgot to tell you I also loved the orange one... it reminds me of cantaloup! :)
~S

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 5:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

your cat is a beauty!

my mom has posted some new stuff you might enjoy! be sure to scroll down as she posted several pictures! i know she will love to see you.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 11:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

"Sweetie" does have one of the best faces I've ever seen. From his wonderful fur to those piercing eyes--he's really got great looks, Naomi. Quite captivating.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 at 4:27:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.