Saturday, April 17, 2010
the ladies, plus one, who lunch

This Lunch was in honor of two occasions. Dianne Travis' Birthday and, Mark & Dianne's 35th Wedding Anniversary.......So, dear Mark was included in our Celebration, and, luckily, he was available, which isn't always the case because he travels a great deal--all over the world---, teaching seminars on "Directing Film"....... And here they are below....... They had just moved from one house to another....and they were
t-i-r-e-d....! At this point they had slept in their new abode maybe two night....And the unpacking wasn't even close to being finished.....I was glad they could take a respite and so were they. We were only six that day because two of our 'usual suspects' were ill.....Kim Hamilton and Bridget Hanley. But....dear Betty G. was able to come....... And she is doing fantastically! She is getting out and doing all sorts of wonderful an interesting things....She looks great, too, because she sits in the sun every day on her deck right outside her bedroom. She is quite tan, actually.....Dear Lee M., picked her up, and as always, it was wonderful to see her.....! We had some lovely hors d'euvres and everyone was happy to see the Wonderful Will.....He makes it all happen for me, Thank You Dear Will...... And then, the last of our gang arrived.....dear Seemah. She has the farthest to drive...(Well, actually, that's not accurate...Lee has to drive further..) But, Seemah has never been an 'on-time' person, and we all know that and we forgive her because she is very much worth waiting for..... After Seemah's arrival, Lee was admiring her outfit and really coveted it...She wished she could have it.....! I must share that I did say something rather funny. I said, "No one ever says they would like to dress like me....", as I sat there in my sweats--even though they are colorful. We all had a good laugh out of that. And then, it was time to go to the table..... The light that day was rather odd....and some of the pictures are not as wonderful as I would have liked them to be. I was sitting where the light from the living room windows made it kind of hard....but, given that, I think I did pretty well. Here is the Birthday Girl and her dear husband of 35 years......I had flowers for the middle of the table from the fabulous Van, from 'The Conservatory'---whatever he does is always so lush and gorgeous. This was no exception....... And I had Van put a flower in a sweet little glass, for each guest---the flowers sat right there at each persons place at the table....Of course, they were Roses...! And below...a closer look at one or two of those Beautiful Roses....... I loved these little glasses, too.....And each one of my guests took their Rose and their glass home at the end of the afternoon....... And now....we were ready for our delightfully delicious Lunch...I'm crazy about Croissants, so I, (predictably), asked Will to be sure to have those very luscious rich rolls on our table......Betty looked happy about it......! Well, maybe it wasn't the Croissants. Maybe it was the company....We do have a wonderful time together. Lots of laughs and lots of talk....I Love That! Then....Lunch was served, and I was so hungry, I began eating before I took any pictures...Here below----my plate, mid eating....(lol). Yes! Quiche and a very wonderful salad.....Yum, Yum, Yum.....The reason I choose Quiche is....it is somewhere between Breakfast and Lunch...almost a Brunch type meal.....And some of us arise quite late because we are 'Night Owls'....(Betty and Me.....)..... But....in truth, everyone seems to enjoy it as much as Betty and I do.....It is truly scrumptious! As is the salad that goes with it....! I am always happy when my guests are happy with the food. It's a "Jewish" thing, I swear. We need and want people to eat and enjoy, and then, eat some more and then, after that.....eat even more....lol. You don't want to run out, you know? Better to have 'left overs' than to run out of food.....I had lots of 'left overs'...Mostly because we had figured on eight people, not six, and I enjoyed them for the next couple of days. Okay. There is going to be a Part 2....I'm sorry, but I just don't know how to do this any other way than I do it.....lol!








More To Come.............












26 Comments:
had this to say:

Yum alright. Another great lunch by the looks of it Naomi.I loved your dinner plates too! Van's arrangements are always fantastic, so beautiful. Betty looks like she has been on vacation, she is so brown. Happy birthday and Anniversary to Dianne and Mark. Thirty five years is something to celebrate! And your choice of meals sounds right up my alley too.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 12:19:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Ooohh another lunch with the ladies! I always love this segment in your blog. Anyway, have a lovely weekend Naomi!

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 2:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't believe it's just the Jewish folks who stuff their guests with good food; it's a sign of a good upbringing, my friend. Stuffed guests are happy guests...especially at your place!!

The quiche looks fantastic...and the croissants, but what I love most are those beautiful roses! Van is the expert when it comes to floral arrangements...and meals, for that matter.

Love the first picture of your sprawled out guests! lol I didn't see it coming, so I found it funny!

You ladies always seem to have a good time living life to the fullest. Thanks for sharing the day in pictures...and thank you once again for my wonderful Marilyn Monroe book! You made my day!!

xoxo

Hugs and ♥, Ily

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 5:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh I just love your parties. Belated Happy Birthday to Dianne. How smart of her to get married on her BDay--easy to remember but if Mark forgets, he is in deep doo-doo. Congrats to them both.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 5:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The table looks as beautiful as ever! Do you cook yourself?

I love all the pictures on the walls too.

Lots like you all had a wonderful time!

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 6:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks I meant!

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 6:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Like Charles, I love these posts!

You gals have soooooooo much fun!!!! And you did such a great job with the flowers and lunch. That quiche looks to die for!

How wonderful for Dianne and Mark!!

Betty looks great and I'm so glad she's recovered so well.

All of you are proof that getting old can be fun, fun, fun!!

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 8:44:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Another lovely get-together. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, the desire that one's guests eat a lot is also a southern thing. At least, my Alabama born grandmother thought so given the amount of food she'd prepare for family dinners. She'd be disappointed if people didn't go back for thirds!

Cheers.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 8:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful flower arrangement and sounds like a very fun day with wonderful friends. I also love quiche. On the wanting all to eat well, that was almost a criteria for any boyfriend of mine. Picky eater and he didn't pass the family muster. Family events were always heavily laden tables with all kinds of good food. That was considered a Western thing to us. Brandings on a ranch or any church potluck is the same way. And one other thing went with it-- women always ate last. I still do that, like to see everyone having their plate filled before I fill mine; of course, my dinners are usually fill your own plate from a counter full of food.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 3:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Another lovely lunchtime celebration, you organise such enjoyable events, Naomi. Your guests must really look forward to receiving your invitations.
I'm afraid I haven't been a very attentive blogger just recently, I have been busy painting walls, ripping up carpets, rehearsing for our annual Variety Show, and in my spare time, babysitting and having fun with my two gorgeous grandsons.... not much time left for blogging!

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 6:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Glad you had another successful "ladies who lunch" afternoon, and welcomed a man to the fold!

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 7:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful photos, people, flowers, friendship and food!! It isn't only a Jewish thing, Naomi, it's a Southern thing too!

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 7:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

First of all, Happy Belated Birthday greetings to Dianne and also to Mark & Dianne for their 35th Anniversy...wow that's a long time and many more good years ahead.

Great to see Seemah there Noami and glad that she is looking great and fine. Great food and company can never go wrong what more with such a wonderful host like you :D

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 7:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,
What a pleasure seeing another "ladies who lunch, plus one"! Sounds you all had a lovely time. The flowers for the middle of the table are just gorgeous. I am curious to know what were the gifts in the bags... Lol!

Please, send my best wishes and congratulations to Dianne and Mark!

I am looking forward to see the next chapter...
Kisses and hugs.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 8:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks like a fun time!

The flowers are gorgeous!

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 12:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I just love reading about, and seeing pictures of, your ladies who lunch gatherings. Can't wait to see what was in the goodie bags.

It is considered a sin in our family for anyone to leave a dinner gathering hungry! We always have tons of left-overs. (Good think I actually like eating them!)

Staying tuned for more to come . . .

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 1:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I bet you all could get together and eat bread and water and still have a wonderful time.

I love the Ladies Who Lunch posts AND I like having part twos or threes...that drags out the fun. :)

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 6:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love you lunchin ladies! (plus) What fun. Glad Betty looks so well and had a good time.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 6:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for sharing! Wonderful wishes to you all.

Reading about the Jewish hostess note it reminded me of one of my favorite memories from church growing up. It was helping to serve Passover at the local synagogue. Whatever the differences in our faith, we have a long shared history to cherish.
All the best-

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 6:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The food looks so good!! Yum!!

It's good to see Betty looking so great and to hear that she is doing well! I'm so glad!!

The flower arrangement is absolutely beautiful!! I think this is one of the prettiest I've seen!

Having a part II just gives us something to look forward too!!! I love your lunches Naomi! I must say that it looks like you have some furniture that is quite comfortable!!

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 8:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love love love quiche! I've experimented and made maybe 10 different varieties. Although you complained about the hard lighting I loved it because bright sunshine is my favorite thing and it's been chilly and drizzly here. I'm glad you had such a nice lunch/brunch. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 9:52:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

The sign of an excellent hostess when your guests are so relaxed they can 'drop off' and snooze.
That has to be the most lovely centre piece ever.
I could eat all of that and await 'afters' with anticipation:)

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 11:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

We are planning our youngests b-day party for June 5th..Her real b-day party is June 2nd but everyone has to work during the week so we are planning it for the Saturday afterwards. I will have pix up. I am hoping we have the money for it.. I have been trying to raise the money for her party on my Etsy site.. So That is whats going on here..

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 1:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Everything looks lovely! I wonder if Betty knows how many friends she has in cyberspace via your blog.

I never can bring myself to dress up when I am home. It's sweats for me too! But mine are usually black.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 6:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The 16th was my birthday! Happy birthday to all. Looks like a wonderful party.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 9:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You really charms me so much I'm allmost breathless and speechless.

Every party you create is a pleasure for the eye, and through your lens, it turns out fantastic. We are talking about quality and genuine taste.

btw. April 17: My son that lives in Michigan is 35 this very day. We sent him a large flower decoration with a Happy Birthday Helium Baloon.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 9:42:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.