Wednesday, April 14, 2010
cactus flowers

I love this picture above. You can see the sunlight streaming through this cluster of flowers....They are small--maybe an inch and a half across the top....I was able to get down low enough to get this particular view...... This very rich red flower above grows on an unusual Opuntia. Most of the Opuntia's have flat oval or round shaped pads...This one has these bulbous sections that grow-one-upon-the-other, forming these arms.....A closer look below at one of these flowers..... I love those little soft protruding pieces on the side....But, there are stickers there, too....One has to be very careful when handling....lol.....Above.....an abundance of flowers that are only open for one day! Yes, that's right. One Single Day----Once A Year. You can see over on the right side of the picture, there is one blossom already closed up. It had it's day....the day before.A slightly different and closer look at these Beautiful f lowers, above.....In the foreground another one-day flower---not in focus in this picture----It is really rare and unusual to see so many one-day flowers blooming all on the very same day. But it happens. This flower above was from another plant that has one-day flowers....The colors are so delicately soft.....Being able to capture these on that one precious day that they bloom, is truly miraculous. And because they don't last.....it makes having any pictures of them even more precious...... Above......one of the many Euphorbia Lambii's in my garden. If this looks familiar it is because it is like the flower in my template.....Below.....a closer look at these very complex lush flowers. This is one of my very favorite plants in my garden.....There are quite a few of these Lambii's, down below and in front, too....When it is in bloom, there is just nothing else like it. In truth, one could say that about every Cactus and Succulent that exists....These are very addictive plants.....Once you "get" them, they just take over your life and you can't get enough of them! Like this small round blooming ball-like plant below.......... Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous.......!

More To Come.......

NOTE: Hoping to get to The Ehling Tile House on Sunday. If everyone's health holds up, etc., I will be taking pictures of everything I haven't seen and you all will be the first to know about it, to be sure....!
















24 Comments:
had this to say:

Magnificent photos of such magnificent flowers!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 1:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I have made a special effort to come and visit you during my lunch break at work! Shhhh... don't tell! LoL!

As ever beautiful photos Naomi - in this post and of your flowers in the previous post that I couldn't help but stare at!

I love cactus flowers, probably becasue they are so delicate nad surprising given their appearance when they are not in flower. Such beauty from such prickly things! My favourite photo is the sixth one down. I just love the water droplets on the petals :)

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 5:04:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Just what I needed. I miss the desert.

Cheers.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 5:27:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Cactus flowers are certainly wonderful!! fantastic shots as always, my dear.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 6:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Gorgeous flowers, Naomi!
Cactus flowers are my preferred! Love all them.
You took fantastic photos as always, Naomi! We can see the dew on petals...breathtaking!

Have a nice week ahead!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 6:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Fabulous -- as always!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 1:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Gorgeous, as usual.

Mr. k wanted me to tell you he saw "On the Town" again yesterday morning and he can't stop talking about Betty (how good she was, how pretty her legs were, that she wasn't touted as a sex symbol - but had a gorgeous body.) I guess it's a good thing I met him first! LOL

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 3:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow I had no idea that there were one day flowers!

What amazing shots, as always. Love the way the sun highlights the colours so beautifully.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 4:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The middle of the Lambii's looks like it would taste good.

Super cool about going to the tile house! I really hope everything works out this Sunday! :)

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 8:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh they are so pretty to look at Naomi and the euphorbia Lambii (green), from far it looks as if there are tiny bugs resting on each individual flower....so gorgeous :D

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 11:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

the eye of the artist always shines through!

it's such a special time when nature brings it's blossoms isn't it?!

Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 4:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful photo's.. I Love the colors... I love this time of year where all the colors are out and just popping up.. We are plannign on doing something like that with our front yard but not sure yet.. Will post it when we are finished..

Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 8:04:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Love that last shot! The vivid colors of the flowers juxtaposed against the spines of the cactus on the left and the smoothness of the stones on the right. Very nice. I also love the one near the top, pale pink, with all the dewdrops on it.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 8:14:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I am still putting in the flowerbeds in the back of our house and I just purchased an Euphorbia to add.. it is a rich reddish green color and will go wonderfully with the Concord bayberry.

Isn't it such a pity that those lovely delicate petals are only around for one day...sigh.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 7:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous is right! I had never even heard of one day flowers until you mentioned them in a previous post. I would love to see them up close! I'm glad I was able to catch these beauties today before they close up again!

PS - I want to thank you for the beautiful gift, my friend! You've made my day!! :)

Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 8:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful shots. I just love cactus flowers. They look almost other worldly.

Friday, April 16, 2010 at 5:27:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Honestly, it's my first to see photos of beautiful cactus flowers and of different variety too!

Have a nice weekend Naomi!

Friday, April 16, 2010 at 7:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I just shared these lovely photos with my seven year old grandson Noah who is seven.. We're having a sleepover and now he's going to try to draw the flowers for his journal.

thanks for the lovely ideas...

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Friday, April 16, 2010 at 5:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi!! The blooms are so very lovely. What a shame some only last one day, but that makes them extra special too!

There is a song, "Who I Was Born to Be", on Susan Boyle's DVD (written by Audra Mae), and I LOVE the song, and the last verse is this

"When I was a child
There were flowers that bloomed in the night
Unafraid to take in the light
Unashamed to have braved the dark"

These words made me think of your flowers and of you!!

How exciting that you will get to meet the tile master himself!! I'm looking forward to that -- I mean what you will share with us!! I know you'll enjoy your visit!! What fun!!

Love and hugs,
Rachel

Friday, April 16, 2010 at 7:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My eyes are not good right now, but what beauty from the desert!

Friday, April 16, 2010 at 8:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Alas, our climate is too cold for cacti.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 12:38:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

They are so unusual with such lucious flowers in contrast to the arid green - do you credit

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 11:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Very Beautiful. A walk around your garden could get you into a very nice frame of mind!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 2:31:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Heavenly!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 6:17:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.