Tuesday, April 06, 2010
tile house - part 6

Usually I start out far away from the "whole", but I thought it might be interesting to see a close-up of an area that you might not really see unless you had a picture of it--as I do above....And let me tell you that I spoke with George Ehling on the phone on Friday, last.....It was fantastic to talk to him! He is an 83 year old Dynamo.....And fascinating in every way.....On Thursday, my blogger friend "Chickie" and her husband "Sweety", who were from Florida, drove in from Las Vegas where they were vacationing, to visit with me, and we had a WONDERFUL time, (more about that later...)....One of the things I did was take them up to The Hollywood Sign.....And somewhere along the way I asked them if they would like to see The Tile House....and they said 'yes', they would....So off we went and they were as excited about it as I am.....While we were standing down on the street looking up at all the amazing Mosaic work....Otto Ehling, George's young talented pianist-son, came on down the steps with two lovely girls...They were on Spring Break from the University in Las Vegas, (I didn't take a picture of Otto, but there are some on the Net...)....Oddly enough, I had heard Otto playing the piano the first time I took pictures of the house, back on August 1st, 2009---I didn't know it was him---In fact, I had no idea who it was, but, it was surreal---looking at this amazing house and hearing this gorgeous piano music wafting out from the open windows---He was playing Rachmaninoff....! And now....On April 1st, 2010, here he was, coming on down the steps.....I introduced myself and told him how much I loved his home and all this fantastic Mosaic Art that his father had created....Otto was so sweet. And George was up in the window looking down at us and we waved at each other....

Dear George, was under the weather with a cold but, Otto said, he could come down and visit. But because of my compromised lung situation I didn't feel comfortable exposing myself to the possibility of illness....But I got George's phone number from Otto and gave Otto mine, as well as my blog address. (Incidentally, Otto left such a sweet comment on the previous post)....And when I spoke to George on Friday, he had read all the posts I had done about his Beautiful Incredible Mosaic Creations, and he loved all the pictures. I will tell you more about all that, in good time.....Above is one of these amazing windows of George Ehling's that has so very many designs happening. In fact....it is the first 'design' that I have come across where there is an unfinished section....... If there are more places like this---I haven't seen them....I love that pole, too....I find it just amazing that George has created these poles in many different places and all of them different.....My favorite part of this window is here, below....... You can see that very first picture I posted from somewhat far away and then this fantastic Optical Illusion section right below it.... If you look closely, you see that there isn't one area that hasn't been thought out or addressed with incredible precision and artfulness....Here below....let's look even more closely...... One of the most amazing things that George has done is a "self-portrait" in tile.....Yes! A self-portrait....! Hard to believe, isn't it? But, just below this window above is 'The Self-Portrait'. Here....take a look...... This picture above and the next one below, were taken by "Sweety", last Thursday, when we were up there......Below, a somewhat further-away-look at this incredible portrait........ And here below is a picture I took of "Sweety" and "Chickie" as he was taking these pictures of the Portrait........ And.....below, one more picture of 'The Portrait" that I took..... How George did this...I will never know. Having made some fairly complex Mosaic tables---back in the 1950's---(See B & W photo's below...)...I cannot imagine what it took to create this fabulous Portrait In Tiles. It is mind boggling. When I go see George at his house I am going to ask him how he did this....It is really Magnificent.....! This was a round table that I did---approximately 4 ft round---The colors were Black, Red, Grey and White.....And below, this table was an Oblong-Oval that was Red, Grey, White and it had a little bit of Black.......It was about 6 feet long. I made some other tables, too---but I don't have any pictures of them....One was Orange, Yellow, White and Light Grey....it was very very pretty. Next to George's "art" my tables were childs-play. At the time, I was quite proud of them, but, I always knew they were pretty crude....Both of these tables were gifts to people....God knows where they are now---that was almost 60 years ago....well, 57 years ago, to be exact. But, now.....back to 'The Master'. Above.....a couple of designs that go around the top of this turret-like area of the house that is above that Beautiful window you saw earlier...... And closer---yet again, below....... There is still more....yes, my dears....and George told me that his project in the back of the house is---in his words-----His "BEST" Work.....I am figuring out how I can get up there and I'm hoping it will be very very soon. I cannot wait to see this back wall that George considers his "Masterwork"....And after I see it, you will see it, too.....!


More To Come.........













24 Comments:
had this to say:

Wow!!!!!!!!! What a great experience!!!!!! I can't wait to see/hear more!!!!!!!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 12:43:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi:

What a magnificent house! The intricate work is amazing.

I am so glad to read whenever you go out and about. Not only are we rewarded with great pictures that you take on your outings, but wonderful history as well.

Love it!

Take care,
Anne

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 1:39:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Given the size of the home and the intricacies of the tile work, I should think your series could go on for some time. It's certainly not boring for anyone with even the slightest interest in art and architecture.

Cheers.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 5:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! More gorgeous photos of that wonderful house! Thanks for the mosaic details and amazing history as well. I can imagine the pleasure you had heard Otto playing Rachmaninoff...while you I took pictures of the house...

Love your mosaic too. So creative and well done!

It's very nice to have a visit of a blog friend... I would love make a visit to you someday...
Kisses and hugs to you and to Sweetie too.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 6:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hiya Naomi, wish it was that you bring to the Hollywood sign and the Tile House :)

Absolutely fascinating and intriguing...I love it :D

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 7:23:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I'm so excited about this and I'm so glad the family know how much we all appreciate - through your initiative- these wonderful creations.
Another Picasso in our midst.
How nice that you had the young visitors with you. The young man looked strong enough to give you a piggy back up the steps.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 7:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow those tiles are pretty. And I always love to see the Hollywood sign. Several years ago I had to fly to LA to meet the FBI to testify about a check that had been stolen from our company by a group there. I didn't get to see much since it was business but the FBI agent was nice enough to drive my to see the Hollywood sign before I flew back to NC! It was on my bucket list.
Hope you are well. I have been getting ready for bday parties, egg hunts and been very sick last week so I haven't been on the blog world much! Now Toonces if fighting the same viral infection I had bless his heart. 89 here today and lightening took out our heat pump so it is hard to be sick and no air!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 8:02:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi
Thank You once again, for sharing the pictures of this great house, these are gorgeous photo's treasures that would never get to see other wise, I know that there are lots of colors in the tiles, but the Blue being the proment color, lovely. Am always envious of any one who can be so creative, Am one of those people who can not draw a stick figure. So Thank You again for sharing, the beauty around you.
Its finally nice spring weather here, YEA. Hope this finds you well.
Pat from NY

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 10:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so glad he got to visit your blog and read all the wonderful things you and others have said about him...and see his wonderful work in pictures! He's amazing!

I love his self-portrait in tile. (Mr. Ehling, if you're reading this, how'd you do it??)

I'm glad that you got to visit with your blogger friend and her husband. One day it will be MEEEE visiting YOU!! :)

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 4:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

With each successive post on this fabulous house, I am more amazed at the creativity and imagination that this man has. The designs are so intricate and beautiful! What a treasure and how wonderful that you are sharing it with us. I hope you get to meet George soon and see that wall!!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 8:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

And BTW: your tables are NOT crude at all, they are beautiful!!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 8:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That house certainly does take one's breath away! How lovely of you to take some fellow bloggers past the house and then to actually meet the son of the owner and then speak to the owner is great! You brought this man's art to a wider audience.

That self-portrait is awesome - and that window with the cubism kind of illusion is something else.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 3:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This whole thing is so serendipitous with you seeing it, photographing it, and being able to share it with the artist. Amazing and beautiful experience that you have shared.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 8:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so glad that you are going to meet this man Naomi!! Oh, I'm so excited!! I can't imagine how stunning his best work will be!! This is all so interesting!! How nice that you got to meet a blogger too!!

I love the tiles you did as well. I wish the pictures were in color! I have only ever seen people do those tiles on TV and they just sort of stuck them at randon, with no patterns at all, so cutting them and doing all the work that Mr. Ehling has put into his home just leaves me speechless! I'd truly just like to hug this man!! He deserves a city award or something for having such a lovely home that he created!!

I'm glad you got to do a Girls that Lunch too! I'll be looking forward to hearing/seeing all about that!! My Easter was very nice as my neighbor invited me to her house and I know most of her family, and it was very nice. The weather was perfect also!

I think I'm caught up on your blog now! As you can tell, I've been dreadfully behind!

Love and hugs,
Rachel

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 10:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I have my Easter Vacation Pix up... Hope you enjoy them and I also hop you had a great Easter...

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 12:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hard to imagine that the best is yet to be.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 6:08:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I still have a hard time figuring out how he did it ALL by himself... that looks like a lifetime of work!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 7:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I think your tables look lovely!

That second one leaning up against the wall? Reminds me of a surfboard!

That house was just amazing. It would be so easy to prowl around it for hours just looking at new things.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 7:41:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

How awesome that you got to speak to his son! Somebody should do a coffee table book on his house and him in general. What motivated him to do this? How did he do all this? Did he have any help? How much did all this cost? Etc...

Thursday, April 8, 2010 at 11:31:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Intricate work! Especially the mosaic portrait. It's so nice that you met a blogger friend. It makes me wish that me and Odd can visit you in a nearer time frame.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 at 2:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your tables!

the self portrait in tile is wonderful

Thursday, April 8, 2010 at 4:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi how exciting! And how wonderful you got to speak to the amazing artist and his son. And its also great you could go for a drive and get out and about with your blogging friends. I hope I can visit one of these times too. Beautiful pictures and I am so glad Mr Ehling got to see your blog and everyone's comments. What did he think of it all? I love your tables too. Is there anything Miss Naomi you cannot do? Now I have to go find Ottos comment. Take Care and hope you had no shaking building the other day with the tremors nearby.

Friday, April 9, 2010 at 11:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It's so great that you are documenting this and I was wondering what George thought about it or if he knew, so I am thrilled to know that he is happy with it. Once again I am speechless over the elaborate work! His house is his canvas.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 6:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

We were super fortunate to take a tour of the house today, and George directed everyone to check out your blog! Your pictures are beautiful. And the inside is just as stunning, if not more so. It was such a treat.

Saturday, April 9, 2011 at 6:11:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.