Thursday, April 01, 2010
house of tile - part 5

This is near but above the 'riverbed-like' staircase and sort of before the waterfall area.....Below, a closer look at this design....... More "optical illusions" and all four sections of those illusions are with different colors....Look more closely, below..... And even closer yet.......You can see below how intricate all the designs are in this one area. If I ever get the chance to speak with Mr. Ehling, I'd love to know what his process is---I mean, I wondered----does he draw the designs first in a smaller format, or, is there some other way he makes just the design decisions---it's like a map, in a way.....Fascinating, isn't it? Everywhere you look, there is some breathtaking tile design.....If you don't look closely, you might miss them...... This is the big picture window that I know has to have a fabulous view of The Valley.....There is a lot going on tile-wise here....First of all, there are four poles, each decorated somewhat differently....A closer look, below..... If you remember the 'poles' by the Garage....these are similar. No two are exactly alike....Above, the two that are on the right side of the window....And below...... The two Poles on the left side....And the two that look most like 'Barber Poles' are not exactly alike----AND, that last one over to the left is nothing like the other three. And notice the two sections below the window.... Each time I look closely at all these designs, I am overwhelmed by the work that went into them....not only the designs themselves, but the execution of each of these sections....Cutting the tiles, placing them, etc., etc., etc..... And above, looking at this same design from a different angle.....Do click on all of these to make them bigger.,..and check out the gorgeous colors..... Above....more detail of that colorful second design.....And 'designs' within 'designs'.....Going back up to the window, itself....there is this amazing looking design..... I am assuming that this was some kind of 'ironwork' that Mr. Ehling has tiled, completely....From afar you can't really see the tile the way you can when you get in closer..... The more I see this...the more beautiful I think it is.....From the design itself, to the design it forms on the windows, depending on where the sun is at any given time during the day...... And the big window has two much thinner windows on either side of it.....Here below is one of those windows with a lot of detail around it, and underneath it, too...... I love how the design up above the windows and going down the sides are these pale pastel colors....More of the "star" design...but in subtler colors. So very very pretty.....There are many other areas that are tiled. For instance here below, some of the Mosaic Designs on the top of the house.......
I hope the next time I am up there at the house that I will somehow get to meet George Ehling.....I love his "art" and the way his mind and heart creates.....There is more, dear readers....and I am hoping I can show it all to you in one more post....but, it may be more than one. Again, I hope I am not boring you all with this. And closer....... And even closer....... This blows my mind......Variations On Beautiful Complexity, thy name is Ehling.....lol!

More To Come........

Note: Happy April Fools Day everyone.....It is April Already???? How did that happen? We had a "Ladies Who Lunch" yesterday...And today, I get to meet a blogger from Florida, by way of Las Vegas......More posts to come.........














23 Comments:
had this to say:

I can't remember if I've left a comment on these tile posts, but as someone who has laid tile, it really is master craftsman work. It almost causes the arthritis in my thumbs to flare up in sympathy pain. Such intricate work. It almost overwhelms me.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 2:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr. E's work is beyond words and I am so enjoying this series. It's so impressive. I'm game for more anytime you want to post it!!! Bet you and the ladies had a marvelous lunch!!!!

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 3:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The man is amazing. I'll bet big money his toilet seat is tiled. You have got to get inside Naomi.
Have fun with your Florida friend and take pictures.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 3:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This man has obviously taken a lot of time to beautify his home. If I lived in his neighborhood I'd want to learn more about him and perhaps take an indoor tour of his house. If it looks this beautiful from the outside, can you imagine what he's done with his walls and furniture?

Hope you and the ladies enjoyed your lunch yesterday. I can't wait to hear more about it!

PS - Why can't I be the blogger you meet from FL by way of Las Vegas?? :)

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 4:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The windows are beautiful. Complex is right. I wonder how long it took him to plan this or whether it has been an iterative process. I would love to see what the house looks like inside - I can only imagine. It is the most unusual house I have ever seen. Its like living in a national art treasure. It would be priceless to value really. Thanks for sharing it Naomi and hope you are doing well over your way.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 5:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the poles most of all. He must do drawings first surely, just to make sure everything fits.

I'd love to see the inside of the house too!

Happy April fools day!

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 9:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oh Nay, more beautiful after more beautiful.....

You so need to meet Mr Ehling and talk art...his house is so beautiful and you have so much to talk about :-)

Go on, invite him over :-)

cq

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 1:44:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The house is a national tresure, and so are you for
drawing attention to it, lest it become a "teardown"!

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 3:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

LOVE the grill work!! I hope that house is placed on the historic register, so no one can do anything to it after he is gone. That would be devastating!

Can't wait to see whom you met and see the luncheon!

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 4:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi. This is Otto. Nice meeting you today and this is soo lovely that you have captured my fathers work so well. Living here, i don't always realize every detail nor have i seen some of these designs, but there is always something new i find at this house. You have to make it up the stairs and come not only inside but behind the house to see what he is working on and how he does it with scafolding, etc. And he is only 83 years young and still climbing ladders. Much Love,
Otto

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 7:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, as far as I know the miniature pony is not an April Fool's joke. I received that email nearly a month ago.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 9:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a feast of colour and design. His home truly is a work of art! I would love to know what his process is and also why he started and where he gets his inspiration. Do share with us if you find out these things : )

Friday, April 2, 2010 at 4:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So many questions. Such an amazing house. What a find! It is like looking at the Great Pyramids---how possible?

Friday, April 2, 2010 at 6:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for posting. I feel like I'm on vacation everytime I come by.

Friday, April 2, 2010 at 11:16:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

It occurs to me that some of the vertical areas are really high. Would he have to work on a ladder or make them up on the ground and then put them in place? Quite dangerous I would have thought.
Here's a n idea which you are free to discard: you could send a photo or two to Mr E of his designs and perhaps tell him how much his work is appreciated and we would all love to know more about his work. Just a thought:)

Saturday, April 3, 2010 at 12:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

JUst when I thought it could be more beautiful, you have more photos. That really is some camera you have there Naomi. Have fun meeting your blogger friends!

Saturday, April 3, 2010 at 7:28:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

does mr. e have a blog? or an email address? We want to shower him with appreciation for creating such a work of beauty!

the fat lady

ps--I'm a total tile freak- I drove hundreds of mile out of the way to photograph Kress (dimestores) buildings that were gems of the art deco.

Saturday, April 3, 2010 at 11:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The picture window looks like a pane of sky! Do you think the house is done now? How long has it been in the making? Who are you meeting from Florida? If I ever come to the hills of CA I'm coming up for a visit.

Saturday, April 3, 2010 at 11:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! I just read the comment from Mr. E's son Otto! How stinkin' cool! I'm guessing he saw you with your camera and chose to speak with you instead of calling the cops about a trespasser.

Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 6:15:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Awesome! Another shots of that interesting house. I really like the intricacy of the design and all. What a very interesting house!

Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 3:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

An absolutely AMAZING house!

And let me just say again how awesomely nice and friendly Otto was. A true gentleman.

Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 7:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This is all so mind boggling Naomi, that this man has done so much work!! It's hard to imagine, but he has certainly made a beautiful home!!

I so enjoy seeing all this and enlarging it! Beautiful!!!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 9:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely comment from Otto and it sounds like his father is very active and very busy still. I hope you do make it up the stairs one day to see him in action. Take Care xx

Friday, April 9, 2010 at 11:14:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.