Friday, March 05, 2010
oscar fever

The Academy Awards are on Sunday, and as always, I am looking forward to the actual ceremony. The Red Carpet is okay, but it is not what interests me. It's the Awards themselves that truly interest me, because it is the 'movies' that I love and I always have---The Oscars have always been a part of my life since I was a little girl, before there was a 'Red Carpet', when The Academy Awards were only on the Radio cause that's all we had and felt lucky to have that. So....here are my predictions of who will win this year, and also of who I want to win this year, which may be the same or it may be different than the actual winners. Sunday will tell the tale.

Let's start with Best Actor:No contest here in my opinion! Jeff Bridges and Jeff Bridges, for "Crazy Heart". I wrote a post about Jeff's performance and having seen all the other Nominees, and they are all wonderful, but....it's still Jeff for me, and I think it will be Jeff for the Academy voters as well. In other words, I think he will win and I very very VERY much want him to win....! Go Jeff....!

Next.....Best Actress:I think Sandra Bullock will win, but I honestly think Meryl Streep should win. Why? Well, what Meryl Streep accomplished in "Julie and Julia" was astounding. Such a detailed performance. Playing someone we are all familiar with yet making her, her own....Making you forget you are watching Meryl Streep playing Julia Child.....this is acting of the highest order, in my book. Sandra Bullock was fine---truly fine, in "The Blind Side", but, for me, Meryl Streep was head and shoulders above her. Will Meryl walk away with the Oscar? Probably not. And let me say the other nominees---Wonderful, Wonderful---particularly Helen Mirren...but, this race is, I think, between Sandra Bullock and Meryl Streep, and, I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Oscar will go to Sandra Bullock.

Best Supporting Actor:The winner will be Cristoph Waltz for "Inglorious Bastards"and he is my pick, too. This is a dazzling performance from an actor most of us are not familiar with, so everything he did was surprising and pretty amazing, and unexpected, terrifying, funny, scary, and out-of-the-box. A Terrific performance! Parenthetically....Part of me wants Christopher Plummer to win for "The Last Station"...an actor who consistently has---for 50+ years----given us incredible performances...He is 80 years old. IF he wins the Oscar, it would be a truly special tribute to an incredibly deserving actor who may not get another part as Oscar worthy as this one. But....I think the Oscar will go to Christoph Waltz.

Best Supporting Actress::Monique and Monique, for "Precious". This is an astounding uncompromising performance----raw and horrendously stunning and brave-beyond-words! Above the rest of the nominees? Yes. That is not to say the other nominees weren't truly wonderful. But, I cannot believe that Monique won't win, and I want her to win. I don't remember such a truly brave performance by anyone, ever. To play such a monster, yet still show us her humanity....! Again, "acting" at a very high level.

Best Director:This 'pick' is a little difficult, but, I think Katherine Bigelow will win and I want her to win. "The Hurt Locker" is a powerful film about war...not like anything we have seen before. It is a film that leaves you spent and it has a lot to say about so many many things. Katherine Bigelow did a masterful job. If she wins, it will be a milestone in the long history of The Academy Awards, because, she will be the first Woman Director to win an Academy Award, ever! PLUS...She used to be married to her strongest competition in this category---James Cameron for "Avatar". If this were a movie scenario, nobody would believe it! And, by the way....he says that even he wants her to win.....!

Best Picture:Well.....I want "The Hurt Locker" to win, but the Academy member's, in their wisdom, certainly may give the Oscar to "Avatar". This is the one Award that feels impossible to predict. I could be wrong on any of these---or even on all of these---we will know, on Sunday! But....this one is a roll of the dice, of sorts. It isn't that "Avatar" isn't deserving...It Is. And it probably will win because it is a 'new' look to the movies...(So was "2001: A Space Odyssey" but it didn't win.) My 'pick' is still "The Hurt Locker", though I really think the Academy will recognize "Avatar".

Incidentally, my neighborhood is, from what I am told, already a nightmare of traffic problems and street closures, because, as you may recall, The Kodak Theatre is right below me---like 5 minutes from me....! Help Us And Save Us....lol! And my next door neighbor is the Lighting Director for this Awards show---as he has been for more years than I can count. He actually can walk down the hill to go to work at The Kodak theatre to avoid all that gridlock!

Excitement is everywhere! I wish all the nominees the very best.....! And I'll see you at The Oscars on Sunday.


More To Come.......











26 Comments:
had this to say:

Ohhh Naomi! I am with you on Jeff Bridges!! (and doesn't he still look yummy?!lol.. )

I think you are spot on with Avatar also.. I think that they will think it's such a money maker and so original that they will give it to them. I will be a bit pleased if they get it though because I am a big Fantasy/ Sci fi fan and until Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings they never win things except for special effects and that sort of thing.. but at the same time I wouldn't mind seeing his X-wife beat the pants off of him LOL

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 3:32:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I totally agree that Meryl Streep, Monique and Cristoph Waltz should win the Oscars for their outstanding performances.

And, although I loved Avatar (in 3-D), I don't think the script / story is great enough for the Oscar for best movie, but yes for best effects.

I could not make up my mind for best actor nor best film. But soon we will know who won.

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 4:37:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

This is the post from you I have been waiting for. I love your insights.
I totally agree with your pick of Christoph Waltz. That was one scary performance. Such a touch he gave that monster.
We don't have a theater in my small town so I have to wait for Netflix. Except for his performance, I will have to wait for the DVD versions to judge the rest. Thanks for your views, looking forward to Sunday.

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 5:59:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

My wife (the linguist) made an interesting comment about Meryl Streep the other day. She was discussing determining a person's first language or place of origin by virtue of language/accent patterns in their English. She mentioned that of all the "Hollywood accents" she's heard Ms. Streep's Polish accented English in Sophie's Choice was dead-on perfect. That shows you what a great actor she is: perfecting an accent when the vast majority of viewers would never know the difference.

Re: Cameron. I read something suggesting that his profession of desire that Ms. Bigelow get the Best Director nod, was nothing more than an attempt to taint her award with an asterisk, because people would think she won because of the sentimentality of the Academy voting for a woman as opposed to how good the movie was.

(I'm with you, BTW. Her film was much better than Avatar, an overly preachy, eco-drama, chock full of a absurdities)

Cheers.

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 6:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I don't go to too many movies--I intend to but the time flies by and then they are out on DVD. Sigh.
It will be interesting to see how it goes, though.

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 8:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

As always interesting to hear your take on it. I have read Inglorious Basterds may surprise the whole thing and with a split vote on the other two, win it. The most likely though has been Hurt Locker which has gotten a lot of bad press lately with some saying it's not very accurate but the criticism came out too late and the draw of a woman director to win has to be strong. Plus it sounds like she's a very nice person. I will watch at least part of it as I like to see the gowns as much as anything since most of the movies I won't see, some never see.

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 9:49:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Will be watching with you in spirit :) I am having a small group actually come to the house to watch together, Monday afternoon for us of course not Sunday at all.
Your picks are the same as mine! Although I would have liked Stan to win best supporting I am 99 percent sure Christop will get it.
Wish I could be watching with you up in the Hills Aunty Em.So excited to see Jeff finally get his Oscar
Love always :D

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 12:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Have you seen "An education"?

"Britain's great hope for a best actress Oscar, Carey Mulligan. The 24-year-old, nominated for her breakthrough role in An Education, has already won a fistful of awards, including a Bafta, for her performances, and gained a nickname, Dame Carey, thanks to a manner and tone of voice reminiscent of a young Judi Dench."

I thought it was a very good film, not quite my kind of thing, and I can't see Carey winning an oscar, but you never know!

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 4:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

know what you mean about the traffic issues. My daughter isn't directly affected (she lives at Wilcox & Hollywood) but because everyone else is detouring around the Kodak, her normal routes are way more crowded that usual.

I won't be watching though; I'll be on a ship cruising toward Mexico!

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 5:38:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You know I'm with you for Jeff but I haven't seen the films -- yet!!!

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 8:10:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

How great was that - I shall be watching and thinking of you. I so hope Meryl wins, she is such a fantastic actress. Good luck to Jeff too. I liked Avatar and thought it was so innovative and clever but the story was thin. First woman Director? About time then, how exciting for her if it comes off. Oh you will be able to see all the excitement nearby! Enjoy and good luck with your predictions. Fantastic podt.

Saturday, March 6, 2010 at 5:36:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm sad to say that I have not seen any of the movies that were nominated this year - so I can't say who will win. But I can never deny Meryl anything - she's truly magnificent in everything she's in!

Saturday, March 6, 2010 at 6:26:00 AM PST 

Blogger Sky
had this to say:

i agree with it all except best actress - i love streep, but i was not as fond of this film as i have been her others. i didn't dislike it - just didn't LOVE it. so i don't mind bullock winning but won't be unhappy if streep does. i LOVE oscar day/night. i watch it all...red carpet, oscars, post parties, interviews, etc. a 6+ hour ordeal for me. this means hubby will be busy on his laptop most of the afternoon/evening, peering over the top here and there to catch an acceptance speech!

Saturday, March 6, 2010 at 6:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Great post Naomi! I always LOVE your insights. I am with you on Jeff Bridges too!
I am looking forward to see tomorrow night the Oscar.
Have a great weekend!

Saturday, March 6, 2010 at 7:58:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

i'll be watching too! thinking about you on sunday night:)

Saturday, March 6, 2010 at 9:05:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Thank you so much on your update on the IFC winners at my blog. It must be so much more fun to hear people say what they really mean to say, much more honest and for sure a french word or two lol
I am getting really curious for Sunday... Will the Oscars follow the IFC ? (and I hear the Twilight tune in my head while I write this) lol

Saturday, March 6, 2010 at 10:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm hoping my friend Kevan Hall will be dressing some of the women who grace the red carpet this year.

I'm also hoping that they "tent" the red carpet to avoid the disaster of the Golden Globes, where it rained!

Saturday, March 6, 2010 at 11:31:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh I can't wait, and yes I love Jeff Bridges...so I hope it's him.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Saturday, March 6, 2010 at 12:44:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You are always up on the best performances in movies, so I appreciate your posts on the Oscars. I did love Meryl Streep in "Julie & Julia" and (on a side note) I loved Drew Barrymore's portrayal of Little Edie in "Grey Gardens." You recommended it and I requested it from Netflix. I thought Jessica Lange did a fine job as well.

PS - I'm probably one of the few people who hasn't seen Avatar, but I plan to with the kids (when we can coordinate our busy schedules and BEFORE it leaves the theaters).

Hope you're having a great weekend, my friend. I'll be watching the Oscars on Sunday and thinking of you!

Saturday, March 6, 2010 at 2:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

i'm looking forward to the show this year, sugar! yeah, jeff! xoxox

Saturday, March 6, 2010 at 3:07:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Yes, I'm glad they've tented the red carpet. I agree --some space heaters are due. It's gotten a bit chilly. Especially if one is wearing those lovely gowns!

Saturday, March 6, 2010 at 5:12:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

There were really some decent films that came out this year. Should be a really good show on Sunday. Did you catch Oprah's Oscar Special where the cast members of those shows interviewed each other? I thought it was a very fascinating thing to watch. :)

Saturday, March 6, 2010 at 10:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I have to admit that I have not seen any of the nominated movies... oh, wait a minute, I saw Julie and Julia when it first came out, but that's the only one. That was an enjoyable movie and I thought Meryl Streep was great, but I recently got the book from the library and couldn't finish it as I couldn't stand the way it was written. I will watch some of the Oscars TV show but probably not stay up till the end.

Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 6:11:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hey Naomi!

I'm all pumped up and ready to watch tonight. I've got my Versace red flannel pyjamas on and my white wine plonk to sip on!
I personally hope Cameron gets nada. He comes across as such a hyped up pompous twit, I don't care if he just made the largest grossing film ever.
I'm thinking that because they changed the rules and nominated 50 best pictures, the voting will get all bungled up and an obscure movie will float to the top of the heap.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Steve and Alec's opening monologue too.

Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 3:22:00 PM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

You certainly are right on the money with those predictions. I'm not sure who won the supporting roles yet.
I'm pleased about Jeff Bridges. Some one said Sandra Bullock's acceptance speech was the best part she's played. I think even she realised she wasn't the best.
If we had Sky I could have watched it. It's frustrating to see little bits. It must be great to stand on your balcony and breath the atmosphere.
Just been to Randall's where he's done your me me.

Monday, March 8, 2010 at 1:07:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Vegas will be calling you!

Monday, March 8, 2010 at 3:36:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.