Friday, February 12, 2010
out and about in l.a.

One day last month---January, that is---dear Lee Meriwether came by and brought some lunch and then we went out for a drive.....We were on our way to drop something off at Kim Hamilton's when I saw this Cow sitting on the roof of a small Spanish style building on the north side of Sunset Blvd., just at the beginning of the so called Sunset Strip.....Cute, isn't she.....? It was on the top of an Antique shop, believe it or not.......One sees all sorts of interesting things on Sunset Blvd......For instance..... This maze of Ads and Cars.....Sunset was a nightmare that day. Construction. Cutting down three lanes going West, to just one! Talk about gridlock! But there is a lot going on in this picture above....too much, if you ask me.... Here is the lovely Lee as we started out driving down my hill. We had no definite plan as to where we were going other than towards Beverly Hills and, on the way there, to bring Kim this package.....She lives on a street that is just off of The Strip--at the top of another hill.........There are lots of Hills here in Los Angeles. And it's one of the things I like so much about it. Here is the lovely Kim, standing outside her home.....And below, a sweet picture of Kim and Lee together..... It was a beautiful day....warm and sunny. Right there, they were standing in some dappled sun and I was sitting in the car when I took this shot.....Two Beautiful Women----inside and out! Then, we were on our way down the Hill to Sunset Blvd., once again. It occurred to me it might be fun to drive up into Trousdale Estates----a kind of very high end 'tract home' housing development that was created by Paul Trousdale right above Sunset Blvd., at the beginning of Beverly Hills.....It is this very very expensive "development" which began in the late 1950's and really took off in the 1960's. The land had at one time belonged to The Doheny Estate.....It is a huge Hill that Mr. Trousdale cut into, making sure that each parcel would have a beautiful view......And, pretty much most of the homes have Views of the city.....He made sure of this by having a law or rule that no home could be built higher than one story.....So, it is filled with what is known here as Mid-Century Style Architecture. And because Lee and I were out and about, I thought it might be fun to see Ross Hunter and Jacque Mapes old house. Ross and Jacque were two wonderful 'Gentlemen'. True Gentlemen in every way, and in everything that word used to mean----a dying breed I'm afraid. I liked them both very very much. Ross was a great film Producer who's films are too numerous to mention---look him up on IMDB....Jacque was his partner in business and his partner in life, too, for over 40 years. And I first met them when they became a part of S.T.A.G.E., as Co-Chairs. This is the AIDS Benefit that I was associated with for 20 years. Both Ross and Jacque are gone now, Ross dying first of Cancer. And their beautiful home in Trousdale was sold soon after Jacque passed on from Heart Disease, some years later....... I couldn't really get a great picture of it because it is mostly hidden by lovely trees and foliage.....A little closer, below...... I don't recall the Gate, but then, it was never closed when I was there. I think when they expected people, they just left it open. It is the first time I have seen the house since both Ross and Jacque are gone. It brought up a lot of memories to see the house, once again.

Lee and I drove around quite a bit just looking at the homes on the streets up there and then Lee noticed something that was quite amazing. A very special Post Box. This was quite incredible! I had to get some pictures of this really unusual and special Post Box.....Here below, a little closer...... The whole idea of it was so clever and cute---this little boy relaxing in a tree stump writing a letter, or maybe just writing in the book itself---That was hard to tell....This decorative Sculpture was beautifully made. In it's way---a work of art! And above.....an even closer look. The detail of this sculpture was really quite wonderful....There are even some words written on the side of the book as you can see below. This picture below was taken on a different day and the light was not the same, but....you can see some of the words written in the book, especially if you click on the photo to make it bigger.......We then noticed some other Post Box "art works" on this street, like this dear little person below.....Children seemed to be quite popular in the Post Box theme on this street up in Trousdale, and, as it turned out, on some of the other streets as well........
This one was a painted stone little person, and truly charming in a very different way than that first one....And again, beautifully rendered.... A very sweet face, don't you think? Both of these sculptures made for very unique Post Boxes.....This street seemed to have some other interesting decorative sculptures on it, as well. There was this guy below, in front of another house down the street from those two Post Box sculptures..... It was a Hitchhiker! Amazing. He was metal of some kind...I don't know what kind, but he was painted or I should say, he had a very subtle patina. The color of his pants is different than his shirt, for instance..... This picture above was taken on a different day. Shawn took me out on this day and we found some other interesting statuary, as well. If you are observant you can see that the flowers in the Flower Bed down there on the left side are different....I liked the angle of this picture because you can see his feet, too..... I found the detail of all these sculptural 'art' pieces quite extraordinary....The folds in his pants, for instance, and his belt and his cap. And below, here's a closer look at his face. It's a very nice face, isn't it? He looks like somebody and I cannot think who....Maybe it is someone I know or knew. Does he look familiar to any of you?

Now, look at this little person below. This was on a different street.....I love that he is reading a Post Card as he sits by the Post Box---Shawn said there was a little dog at his feet, but I couldn't see it from my side of the car---I'll have to get back up there and capture the whole 'geshtalt'......Again, a child is depicted...I did wonder if all of these different metal decorative sculptures were produced by the same company....There is a similarity to the look of the faces. The detail of this little boys hair is fun and beautifully rendered, too....And below, another decorative Post Box. This is again, a young boy who is a Caddy---though he looks somewhat older than the other children depicted....With this Post Box, one might conclude that the people who own this house are avid Golfers...... And below, a closer look at this cute young lad....... In fact, this boy looks like the son of The Hitchhiker, doesn't he? I mean look at his face! And now take another look at The Hitchhiker....... Well, they look a lot alike to me....Especially around the mouth.....

There are some other interesting things that I photographed in this area known as Trousdale and next time I will share some of these unusual things with you......

And.....Wishing each and every one of you a very Happy Valentines Day. May your day be celebrated with lots of people that you love and all those who love you too, and be sure to eat lots of Chocolate Kisses.......!








More To Come.........







34 Comments:
had this to say:

Naomi, I have never seen such fancy mail boxes and they are wonderful! Maybe in my next life I could afford to have a sculpture like those!

I love the photo of Kim and Lee. I think that's the first time Kim hasn't had on her overalls.

Friday, February 12, 2010 at 4:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Just love those mail boxes. I see a little of Harry Connick,Jr from "Hope Floats" in the hitchhiker.

Friday, February 12, 2010 at 5:38:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm jealous of the sun and implied warmth from your photos. Steeling ourselves for another several inches of snow this weekend and below freezing temps.

Oy.

Cheers.

Friday, February 12, 2010 at 6:55:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Good Morn, Naomi enjoyed your tour, but the mail boxes were exceptional, thank you for sharing those with us. There most likely is some story or reason why so many of the same sort of
subject. That in its self could be very interesting. You certainly do have great hills around you. But have to say I would be scared silly, with all that traffic. Guess what one is usto is the norm. Also I see you have SUN right now we could use a little of that. Again Thank You
Pat from NY

Friday, February 12, 2010 at 7:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

wow what gorgeous sculptures!! and like you, as I was scrolling I thought the boy had to be done by the same person as the tall hitchhiker then I realized it was because they looked so much alike!

how nice of Lee to take you out and about visiting Kim!! As always Lee is so beautiful..even without the heavy duty makeup needed when acting, she's simply beautiful.

Friday, February 12, 2010 at 8:37:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Those sculptures on the mailboxes are truly a work of art. How amazing that someone would take the time to make them so beautiful.

Loved the photo of Kim and Lee -

Glad you had a good afternoon out and about. I know how hard it is for you to get out...

Friday, February 12, 2010 at 1:55:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, I loved your photos! I too am a little jealous of your beautiful "winter" as we here in PA just had 50 inches of snow in a 10 day period.
I love the winter, but those pics are making me wish I could just take a walk with a light windbreaker on and check out my neighbors' mailboxes!

Friday, February 12, 2010 at 5:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Who could imagine mailboxes would be so fascinating? YES! That face is somebody...must be an actor or artist for me to know him...WHAT FUN, the ladies look fabulous and I agree gentlemen are a dying breed. But why? What happened? Sad.

Friday, February 12, 2010 at 6:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Great tour! I love the sculptures and it's great to see Lee and Kim out on a lovely day. I'm hoping I will be seeing more of Lee now that AMC has relocated to L.A. although her character has retired to Florida. I'm hoping she'll be back for visits.
Like Arkansas Patti, I immediately thought of Harry Connick, Jr. when I saw the hitchhiker statue.

Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 12:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow! You live in a gorgeous place Naomi! And you have such lovely dear friends!
Love and enjoy so much this tour around LA. What a wonderful houses!
I never seen such a beautiful and original mail boxes, principally the "little boy relaxing in a tree". Just amazing!
Love also the cow on the roof! Lol!
Have a nice weekend my dear.

Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 6:03:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Ah! I forgot to wish to you and to all your visits a Very Happy Valentines Day!

Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 6:05:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Valentine's Day. I agree on the sculptures and the art in front of those homes but the most beautiful thing of all are your friends, not just physically but the beauty of those many years there for each other. Wonderful and a true story for a day about love.

Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 3:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for the tour! I've never been but it's on my list of places to go.

Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 4:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Glad you managed to get out of the house with a friend, Naomi!

Thanks for sharing the wonderful pics with us.

You'll always be our valentine, Naomi...

Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 9:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Art is everywhere
Especially if you keep your eyes and mind open

I love the boy in the tree
and the hitchhiker!! he's wonderful

Lee and Kim are so extraordinary, so lovely

Happy Valentine's Day dear lady

Sunday, February 14, 2010 at 6:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Love those mailboxes; they're works of art! I love the first one of the little boy writing a letter. Adorable!

The metal hitchhiker is funky and he DOES look like someone...from The Waltons maybe. lol

You make me feel like cruisin' around Miami Beach taking photos from my car. Maybe I'll grab Holland and do that before class next Wed. You've inspired me!

Happy Valentine's Day to you, my friend! Let me know how your Sweetie is doing. Thinking of you both. xo

Sunday, February 14, 2010 at 11:00:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Lovely tour and lovely mailboxes!! such sunny shots!
Happy Valentine's Day to you, my dear!!!♥ ♥ ♥

Sunday, February 14, 2010 at 11:06:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I LOVE the post boxes in that neighborhood! I've never seen anything like them. How creative and interesting. I like it when people do something extra to beautify their homes and neighborhoods. I think it makes the world a more enjoyable place.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 at 2:52:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Valentines Day to you too, Naomi.... Love all the mailboxes and metal children....Beautiful... Glad you had a fun ride with Lee...

Sunday, February 14, 2010 at 3:39:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a lovely drive-about you had. Looks like the weather was perfect for it, just like today was perfect weather. Gonna be a beautiful week, too, it looks like. :)

So fun!

Sunday, February 14, 2010 at 11:54:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh! And Happy Valentine's Day! :) xoxo

Sunday, February 14, 2010 at 11:55:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Valentine's Day Naomi and when I came by last night I couldn't see the pictures and now I'm back and glad to have been this 'tour' with you :D Thank you my dear friend :D

Monday, February 15, 2010 at 12:41:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I am impressed with this write-up. The photos are exceptional wonders, especially the colors and contrast. The sculptures are beautiful. I really enjoy staring at the fine lines and curves that formed a vital part of the sculptures. Most importantly, as I curiously browsed through this page, I experience eternity. I am glad to see the work of a fine young lady here:). A superb rendering of an inexhaustible mind. Your friends are sweet looking gals. Keep it up.

Monday, February 15, 2010 at 6:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, your photos are great as always. We, of course, are laden with snow and ice here in Ohio. Your friend Lee is an inspiration - as I remember her from years ago - she is just as beautiful now - with no makeup! Wow.

Monday, February 15, 2010 at 6:35:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Well I certainly ate the chocolate - and the rest - on V day:)
Fascinating tour round the neighbourhood.
How serene Lee looks amidst all that traffic. The tree are a great blessing to soften the landscape and no doubt soak up the gas fumes.
How varied the sculptures are from Huckleberry Finn to something from the Victorian era. I was going to say the hitch hiker looked like he had escaped from 'East of Eden' but I think Arkansas Patti is exactly right. Lovely post and card.

Monday, February 15, 2010 at 7:37:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Those are so cool....You have some pretty awsome friends Naommi... You are right they are beautiful inside and out and I dont even know them... Just from photo's...

Monday, February 15, 2010 at 8:25:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

How absolutely FABULOUS! Very public private art at the curb. What a wonderful trend that would be for those of us lucky enough to still have a box at the curb.
Thank you. thank you . Thank you for sharing!

Monday, February 15, 2010 at 9:49:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Danny Rentz
had this to say:

Always LOVE your blog!! It is so good to see two of my specual favorites- Kim and Lee!!! And the pics of the Ross Hunter/Jacques Mapes home! Just breathtaking! Thanks so much!!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 9:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi!! I have been MIA lately but I'm catching up!

I loved this tour and I do love, love, love the mail boxes!! I wish we could have such around here but unfortunately someone would come along and use a bat and/or some other object to break it. Sad isn't it that there are such vandals around, but it's true. Maybe some of the people there have security cameras and that keeps it from happening?

I especially love the little boy in the tree writing! How precious!!

Great picture of Lee and Kim. Kim didn't have on her overalls! First picture I've seen of her without them!

I do hope your Valentine's Day was wonderful!!!

Love and hugs,
Rachel

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 at 8:43:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What neat mailbox art! I love that first one with the boy lounging by the box.

I'm glad you had a good time out and about :)

Thursday, February 18, 2010 at 7:07:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Those are some brilliant mailboxes and add some excellent character around the area.

Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 11:55:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi, you've just made my day! I recall taking little exploratory drives around LA before I let the heavy traffic and increased schedule get the better of me.

After seeing this post, I am Determined to pick up the habit again. Thank you so much, love.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 at 11:42:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh arent they gorgeous sculptures. Very lifelike and so detailed. sounds like you had a good time. And yes the two women are beautiful. That makes three of you inside and out! To have beautiful friends you have to be a beautiful friend.

Monday, March 1, 2010 at 10:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Jacques Mapes was my cousin.
It is wonderful to see your photo of the house.
Very nostalgic.
Love your blog
Susan

Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 8:31:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.