Sunday, January 10, 2010
one more time - part 2 - the eve recreation

Dinner time! Yes, it was now time for dinner. I had decided that I wanted Beef Bourguignon on the menu this year. There were two reasons...one was that it had been very cold here---well, cold for Los Angeles---and I had seen the movie "Julie & Julia" and Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon is featured prominently in the film and it looked so yummy in the movie----I just got a real yen for it! And Will actually uses Julia's recipe, so it was incredibly delicious! And with so many people, we serve Buffet style---on New Years Eve. Along with our entree I wanted Grilled Veggies. For one, there are two Vegetarians who always come to New Years Eve and I had Fish for them, plus all the rest of the dishes were perfect for them as well as everyone else..... Above, not such a great picture of the Veggies---we had Zucchini, Yellow Squash and Eggplant----I figured along with the Carrots, Onions and Mushrooms in the Beef dish---there were plenty of cooked Veggies...plus, we had a lovely Salad of Butter Lettuce (my favorite), Avocado, and Jicima, served with a light vinaigrette dressing.....yum! Above, the lovely Angel Hair Pasta dish, with a little bit of teeny tiny cooked Eggplant in it.....Cappaleni is my very favorite of all the pastas--I don't know why exactly, it just is! We also had some lovely soft rolls and butter, which added delightfully to the rest of the dinner..... Above....you can see the rolls and butter and the Salad Bowl, and the Pasta, with a little dish of Parmesan Cheese for the Angel Hair. Everything was absolutely scrumptious and many people came back for 'seconds', which, being Jewish, pleased me no end! It was a hearty meal, but light in it's own way, too....... For the first time, this year, I decided to have some Gift Bags. I figured it might be fun, since all the 'ladies who lunch' like them so much, maybe the men would enjoy them, too---not really sure how that worked out. I can't say the men got as excited about these bags the way the 'ladies' do.....The bags themselves were very cute and here below is a picture of most of the contents...... That little Bear was so very cute and sweet....And there were these darling stack pens in different colors and stack pencils in different colors, too with some adorable snowman pads to use them on and a roll of Christmas Ball stamps---well, I figured they could all use those for next year.....Below a closer look at that dear little smiling Bear.......There was a darling deck of playing cards in the shape of a Snowman, and as you can see over on the left....And that is a Chocolate Santa from See's Candy lying on the Bear's legs....There has to be a lot of chocolate in every bag of course, and these bags were no exception. Lots of Hershey's kisses covered in red and green, plus a Christmas Tree Lollipop, plus some other goodies, too.....then it was time for dessert and coffee....And, as usual, I had two delicious desserts! The Exquisite Lemon Meringue Cake and The Very Decadent Dark Chocolate Cake from Sweet Lady Jane.....only Will knows where the Lemon Cake comes from and he won't tell....lol! It's his "secret" place. So if you want that cake you have to call him....! The lovely Katy came back into the Dining Room, (She had eaten dinner in the Living Room....) to get herself some coffee...Meanwhile, the incredible Betty was having her Lemon Cake and coffee at the table...... Then.....it was time for 'The Game'.....so we all gathered in the Living Room and sat in a circle of sorts, and we began!The photo above is pretty bad, but there you can see---starting from left to right---Dianne, Jacquie, Andrew Lesser and Mark Travis.......Then......Mark, again, and Craig....and me, taking the pictures and then to my left..... Earl, right next to me, and Gene Lesser next to Betty......And the others you will see next time....Because I'm concerned that I might lose this post, too....I am going to stop here and there will be a Part 3, when you will see the many wonderful goodies that were in the game.......Bear with me, please. And I apologize for losing my cool, and let me just say thank you for all the advice and condolences.....but there was no retrieving the original of this post---it was gone, gone, gone, into that big blogger garbage bag in cyberspace---never to be seen again.....But, in spite of that, yes, there will be.......









More To Come..........


















26 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Yummy beef Bourguignon! Oh I don't know how to spell it! But , that is what I made on Christmas for us here...it took all day. It was delicious though!!!
Happy New Year xoxo, Audrey

Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 12:54:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I FINALLY got to see Julia and Julie on DVD yesterday. Just watching that movie added 12 pounds to me, now I stop by your blog---another 5 pounds (I would want more!) LOL, the men didn't get the same thrill, eh? And I always thought men loved little stuffed teddy's! Gifts, food, games, where are friends like you any more? My generation has lost too many. (The acting in J&J was fantastic!!)

Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 8:04:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hummm. The menu looks delicious!
Love seeing all photos of your friends! Really I would LOVE to be there with all of you too!
Have a nice Sunday, my dear Naomi.

Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 8:32:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Off to find the beef recipe.

Re: Pasta. You cannot go wrong with a light pasta and grilled veg with olive oil and Parmesan. I make that at home during the week frequently because it's fast, easy, and tastes good.

In fact, I think I now know what's on tap for tonight's supper.

Cheers.

Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 10:21:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Fabulous party!!!! And if anyone left hungry, it was their own fault!!! I joke that I have an Italian stomach and would have loved that pasta.

And the bags looked like great fun!!!!!

You are the hostess with the mostest!!!!

Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 2:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I think you really have this "giving a party" thing down pat! The meal looks scrumptious and I'm sure the desserts were well received!

Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 4:40:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Ha! You are back with an awesome post. Take THAT Blogger!

The food looks fantastic! You've made me hungry so now I have to go raid the icebox.

Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 6:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon...I can think of no better dish for a dinner party, and you have me so, so curious about Will's lemon cake. (I WILL ask Will about it one day and I hope Will will tell me because I need to know...not that I wouldn't "settle" for the decadent chocolate one, but I love lemon desserts!

I'm happy that you were able to post the pics and share some of your evening with us. Now I'd love to see more of what's in those goody bags! Bring on part three!!

Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 6:44:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a lovely meal, the perfect complement to a lovely evening spent with loved ones. And a lovely post to commemorate it, despite the loss of the first time around.

xoxo

Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 7:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Bravo!
Excellent post. It looks like everyone had a great time. The food looked delicious and so well thought out!

I'm off to Savannah this week. Back next week. Let's plan on meeting soon.
xx
Kanani

Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 10:10:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm so glad you reconsidered and decided to try again! I love these posts. Thanks for sharing and making us (jealous) readers feel like part of the "gang." I can't wait for the next part!

Monday, January 11, 2010 at 2:45:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

So glad the blogger demons spared you so we could join your party.
Sure glad I had breakfast first. The lemon cake did stir the full belly juices though. Yum, love lemon.
The packages were so cute and you know the guys secretly hug their teddy bears when no one is looking.
Looking forward to part 3.
Demons, begone.

Monday, January 11, 2010 at 5:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Your parties stir up desire to entertain. We have company a lot and mostly grandchildren so all I have to do is keep the food coming in mass quantities but you make me want to have a party and give little gifts and serve elegant food with games and laughter following. Perhaps I shall make a belated New Year's resolution and you can help me plan my party:)

Monday, January 11, 2010 at 6:22:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

You are the hostess with the mostest!
I love Beef bourguignon and it is the perfect dish - especially for the cold we are having. I once did it for a dinner party and it was a huge success. I'm sorry you are having blogger trouble. At present I'm sending parts of my book as attachements and it is so complicated to do - my heart is in my mouth most of the time. I look forward to reading about the rest of the happy evening:)

Monday, January 11, 2010 at 8:33:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful post Naomi.. Just beautiful... Thanks for reposting it..

Monday, January 11, 2010 at 8:59:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm so pleased you did repost this because I love seeing your parties. Well I would have loved one of your goodie bags!

Lemon Meringue Cake is one of my favourites. All the food is great! I saw Julie and Julia and thought it was a good film but it could have been a great film. There again I'm a useless cook!

Monday, January 11, 2010 at 10:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I got inspired after watching "Julie and Julia" too, and made Boeuf Bourguignon for our Thanksgving dinner in October, and OlderSon is still grumbling that I didn't cook a turkey and all I gave him to eat was "stew"! But it tasted really good, even though I say so myself.
Your party looks like loads of fun.... wish I could be invited too!
I'm wishing you a very Healthy and Happy 2010, Naomi, may all your dreams come true... well, the good ones anyway!

Monday, January 11, 2010 at 11:40:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Nice place ... Thanks.

Love.

Monday, January 11, 2010 at 2:30:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I had no doubt we'd see the rest of your party !

mmmmmm the food look fabulous!! no wonder many took seconds!!!

oh I can't wait to see the goodies and the game! lol.. you have way too much fun naomi!!

Monday, January 11, 2010 at 3:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The food looks so delicious Naomi! I'm so glad that you decided to continue after losing your whole post before. That is so annoying when that happens. No wonder you were so upset!!

I don't think I've ever had Beef Bourguignon before. It looks delicious though!

Looking forward to the next part!!

Monday, January 11, 2010 at 10:28:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It looks like a wonderful time, Naomi. Good food, good friends--a winning combination!!
xo

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 4:52:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The food looks great! I havent seen Julia and Julie but I've been meaning to. I just love Meryl Streep!

You always have nice gatherings or parties. Makes me wish me and Odd were there.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 6:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Your menu sounded delicious and sharing it all with long time friends, games and good conversation, one can't ask for more. Thanks for the photos and the shared experience with us. (Earl Holliman looks as cute as he did back when he starred in the movies and tv shows :)

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 12:19:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I cannot wait to see Julia and Julie I have heard so many good things about it. Your food looks delicious and I am guessing your guests were thrilled you decided to do gift bags! What a lovely evening you planned.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 12:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The food looks delicious!

I bet the lemon cake was good!

Friday, January 15, 2010 at 5:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh that food looks delicious and makes me hungry. I simply adore your hot pink candles and the wonderful flowers. I used hot pink this Christmas for a change too. Everyone looks so happy as well, pleased to be there and among friends.Hope 2010 is full of great days for you Naomi xx

Friday, January 22, 2010 at 2:28:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.