Tuesday, January 05, 2010
eve of the new year - part 1

New Years Eve was another memorable evening for me and, in fact, for everyone that was here for my Annual New Years Eve Party......Let me apologize--in front--because I'm not thrilled with a lot of the pictures...I think my camera somehow was on an odd setting of sorts and so, many of the pictures were poor....But, I will post them anyway....! The picture above is of the BEAUTIFUL Flowers that Van gave me....They were perfect! And below....Another reason to rejoice..... The Amazing Betty! Everyone was thrilled that she was able to come....! Me, most especially. When I told her that, she said, "I wouldn't have missed it for the world!" I nave never known anyone like her, anywhere! Dianne Travis was pretty happy, too---as was her dear husband Mark, who you will see in a minute. The packages over on the floor were for 'the game'....you may remember, we play this every year and it is so much fun! There were some lovely goodies on the table for us to munch on....And that is Andrew Lesser sitting at the end of the table....His Mom, Jacquie Scott Lesser was sitting near me on the couch.... Jacquie's dear husband Gene, had to go back home because they all forgot the "gifts" for the game....Luckily, they don't live that far from me....maybe 12 minutes give or take..... And above....Betty with Dianne and Mark Travis---they had not seen Betty since before her 'fall'...so they were really happy to see her.....Below.....Karen & Garrett Parks--Betty's older son and his lovely wife. And, then their delightful daughter Maddy, who's best friend Annie came down from Marin County to spend a few days with Maddy. Annie had been here for New Years last year, too....So it was lovely to see her once again...... These two young ladies have been friends since baby-hood. when Karen was doing 'Christine" in "Phantom of The Opera" in San Fransisco and they----Garrett and Karen and Maddy----were living up there in Marin.....I love that time and distance has not dimmed the friendship of these two girls one bit.... Above, there is 'Uncle' Andy with the girls.....and below, his lovely dear wife, Katy...... All the Parks' arrived at the same time, having come from Betty's, where 'the boys', (They will always be 'the boys' to those of us who have known them since they were boys...lol...) were prepared to help Betty down the front or side steps at their house....As it turned out, she navigated those stairs all by herself! Superwoman at 90.....! Above---taken from a strange angle----Craig Curtis, Earl Holliman and Gene Lesser, who had returned by this time with Gifts-In-Hand! The game is so much fun because everything is wrapped like a Christmas present and if you roll a "7" or an "11", you get to open a gift and you get to roll again.....but more about that, later, in part 2...... Above, Garrett helping his Mom with the batteries to her Hearing Aids. These 'boys' are so wonderful with their mother....it is really touching to see how they take care of her. But only if she needs it. Betty never wants to be treated like 'an old lady'....So, they wait till she asks, except of course, during the time right after she fell....Both Garrett and Karen and Andy and Katy were with her in the Hospital round the clock---taking shifts. I know their father would be so proud and touched by the loving care they all show Betty....... Above, standing close by, Andy talking with Mark Travis, while Jacquie visited with Betty.....They had not seen each other for a number of months because Jacquie couldn't come to our Halloween Lunch.......Below, across the room, surrounding the glass table were Andrew Lesser, Craig Curtis, Karen, Dianne & Earl, with Katy sitting on the floor with her back towards us....Below, a closer look at dear Earl.....talking seriously to Katy---with Dianne behind them on the couch, gesturing quite animatedly as she talked with Karen.......I don't like posed pictures---I much prefer candid-in-the-moment shots as you all no doubt have gathered by now.....And over near me where I was sitting was the now huge pile of 'presents', which we would open once the game began after dinner........ I'm afraid Betty's folded 'walker' was a lot more prominent than I had counted on....the damn flash! LOL.....But doesn't everything look inviting? Well, you'll see what a lot of it was in Part 2......And just one more group picture before I close......Here below........ It's not a great picture by any means, but it shows many of this dear group of people involved in talking with each other and as always, never running out of things to say.....There is Garrett...then Katy sitting on the floor, and Karen on the couch talking to Dianne and then Earl, still talking with Katy....And Andy, standing waaaay over on the right, and Jacquie on the floor and a washed-out Betty---Over exposed by the flash...But, they are all there in this one picture. And this was just before dinner was served....Part 2 will be coming along next time....... Meanwhile, remember......




More To Come..........
















28 Comments:
Anonymous Kevin Raftery
had this to say:

Looks like everyone had a nice New Year's Eve.
I love the fact that two of your guests are in two of my favorite "Twilight Zone" episodes;
Jacqueline Scott is in "The Paralell" and Earl Holliman is in "Where Is Everybody?."
Love your pictures.
Happy New Year, Kevin

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 4:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I so love your gatherings! I see so much love and friendships in your photo's! And then there's the amazing Betty! What an extraordinary lady !

As always Naomi, thank you for sharing!! And thank everyone for letting you share their pictures !

you truly have magnificent friends.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 4:54:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Loved this!!!!!!! And you can tell Earl he's still a cute cowboy!!! LOL

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 5:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, it all looks wonderful and how lovely to see Betty looking so well and still beautiful! Mr. kenju said to tell her she is "outstanding" in every way!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 5:22:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh Naomi what a wonderful looking party! It looks like a nice comfortable atmosphere (the kind I like) and so informal.

I love your "gift" game and can't wait for part 2.

BTW, Betty looks WONDERFUL!!! Tell her hello for me and that she looks great!

Love,
Anne

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 7:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Betty's beauty shines through. I'm happy to get a glimpse into your home at the holidays. It reminds me of our Christmas Eve neighborhood open house. We play "the game" too.

I have the same problem with my camera, to flash or not. Flash washes out anything light and no flash can be so grainy.

Happy New Year to you dear Naomi!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 9:22:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for sharing your photos of what was obviously a loving time between long-time friends. That is so great to see. Betty looked wonderful. She definitely has spunk

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 9:33:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hurray for Betty! She looks marvellous Naomi.
You know, I think New Year's parties for all ages are the best. We enjoyed one like that too.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 10:58:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I am delighted to see that Betty was well enough to come,as always your New Years party looks like an extraordinary night full of fun and friendship :)

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 11:20:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I just LOVE your parties. Everything looks so good. I particularly like the way you have your balcony lit. That's really nice.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 12:25:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I'm just hoping that all this partying means you are really feeling more yourself after the trying months you had last year. Hopefully it will be a new beginning.
Nothing wrong with the photos that I can see. They tell the story perfectly and how great Betty looks. As we used to say about the Queen Mum - they don't make 'em like that any more:)

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 2:59:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Debbie
had this to say:

I love reading your blog. I happened on it by chance but now am a loyal reader. I feel like I know you and your friends. Keep on blogging!!!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 3:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Such a wonderful social gathering; what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall! LoL! It seems so much fun :) Very nice to see that Betty is doing so well too.

Looking forward to reading more about your lovely evening!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 3:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love those animated shots, Naomi! Everyone is engaged in conversation and you get a sense for the feel of the room. That's it, I need to take more candid shots! They ARE better.

That 7/11 dice game sounds interesting. The flowers Van gives you are always so full and beautiful. He can never go wrong with a lovely bouquet.

I'm glad Betty was up and about and enjoying herself again...and that she has the love and support of her family to get her through this. Sounds like a happy, fun bunch and a wonderful way to ring in the New Year!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 4:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

My what a grand looking bunch. Betty looks marvelous, what an amazing lady. At times I think her son is her image but then others I see a lot of Larry in him. How sweet he is to her.
Thank you for the Earl Holliman pics, I was quite crushy on him at one time and good to see he still has it.
Your game sounds fun, can't wait.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 7:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

A present when you roll a number, love it. Maybe I can get it started here.(In the retirement home.) I am pleased to see how you all understand, grasp, the difficulty Betty must endure. Even using a walker is trying for many seniors who have never dreamed they would need or USE one. And so respectful of her sons...warms my heart. (I hope you won many presents.)

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 9:44:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It looks like a lovely party. Everyone having a good time.

The flash on my camera acts crazy like that sometimes too, but your pics were still great.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 9:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow you seem to have so much fun!! I love all the photos and yes everything looks very inviting and beautifully done. Love the view through the window.

Lovely to see Betty there too. :)

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 2:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

So much fun! Makes me jelous. :)

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 3:32:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I can't wait to see the "gifts"! I remember this game!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 6:57:00 PM PST 

Blogger Max
had this to say:

that party looks great, naomi! see you soon in la!
love,
max

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 9:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a wonderful New Year's Eve, Naomi! I am so glad to see Betty and she looks great!
Thanks for sharing this amazing party, dear Naomi. Love all photos!

Again, Happy New Year to you and to your dear friends!

Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 5:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It looks like a fun party! Glad to see that Betty could make it.

We stayed in ... laid low ... BBQed ... and watched the countdown on TV.

Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 6:22:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm glad you had a nice evening. It's always fun to look at your pictures and think, "Hey, I recognize that person."

Cheers.

Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 9:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

So happy to see Betty looking so gorgeous and vibrant after all she just went through! All the Parks look great and how fun that they were all able to ring in the New Year with you. Onward to 2010 as I wish you a very happy new year. Keep on blogging! Hope to see you soon!

Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 10:48:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Good to see everyone having a nice time and visiting with each other. I was so happy to see that Betty made it! She is such a trooper isn't she!! Way to go Betty!!

It looks so lovely out on your patio and seeing all the lights down below! Looks like such an inviting place (the patio!).

I'm looking forward to part 2!
xxoxx

Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 7:44:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I live vicariously through your blog when I view the photos and read the stories. I can't wait to meet you. Next week, I"m traveling to Savannah, but will be back the following. Then I'll make plans.

Oh, and I've left you something a little Niven over here.
xx
Kanani

Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 11:52:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a lovely New Year's Eve Party. Lovely photos and people. Just awesome!

Btw, we got your card and we're loving it. The photo you took is just beautiful!

Saturday, January 9, 2010 at 11:35:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.