Saturday, January 02, 2010
christmas 2009

This was a very special Christmas, a Christmas to be cherished, for so many reasons, but the biggest reason was that Betty was home from Rehab and that I was able to go to be there and share in the always wonderful warm feeling that permeates the Holiday there! This picture above was just a moment at the table after we had opened our 'snappers'.....And inside, once you snapped them open, they had a little paper hat, a little toy of some kind and a joke and a question.....That attractive man sitting surrounded by all those women, is Betty's younger son Andy.....He and her older son Garrett cooked lots of goodies, including the Turkey, which was utterly scrumptious and I might add, a joy to carve....It just about fell off the bone...... Here above is the beautiful Karen Culliver Parks, Garrett's wife and Maddy's mother---about to pull her 'snapper'....You really have to pull hard and it makes a very loud noise. Karen had gotten the house all ready for Christmas, decorating and making it look so beautiful and festive.....Below, my darling visitor Rabies, (You all remember him...) whom I brought with me to Betty's..... Here he is with his snapper...well, not really his....but I thought it would be fun to see him trying to open one of these.....Everybody kind of fell in love with him, and truthfully, what's not to love......Below, here he is with Betty...... He absolutely loved her! And, why not? Again, what's not to love....? Rabies visited with a number of other people too....like Betty's cousin Carol who had flown down from San Jose just to be here for this special day...... Carol grows Cymbidium Orchids and she had brought a gorgeous bunch of them to Betty for Christmas.....this was one of them....And Rabies seemed to like these flowers very very much..... Above, Betty's almost-fourteen-year-old granddaughter, Maddy, (Karen & Garrett's daughter), I believe it was love at first sight between these two....A kiss was forthcoming...... There were eleven of us at the table.....Betty has nurses here at home for now and that is extremely helpful, given that she only got home the Wednesday before Christmas. She gets about the house with a 'walker' and she also has a small wheelchair.....And she is doing just great! Here's Betty sitting in that little wheelchair with her dear old friend, Ginny Brown sitting next to her. Ginny was opening her stocking. How Betty managed the stockings this year, I will never know, except that she got a lot of stuff by catalogue in the fall, and then her younger son Andy and his dear wife Katy, filled in with a lot of fun goodies...... Above, Carol, Karen--with the adorable Ruby on her lap, Maddy and her daddy, Garrett....People were reading there jokes and asking the 'questions' which all turned out to be pretty funny....! There were a lot of laughs, as always. This is such a sweet group of people---so loving and caring and there is a comfort level that exists because everyone is either close family, or 'like' close family.... Right next to me was Katy Melody, Andy's wonderful wife.....She is just a terrific woman in every way....She made four Pies and a Ginger Bread Cake...Her Pecan Pie was the very BEST I have ever ever tasted, and I've tasted quite a few over these many years...... Above, another picture of our side of the table---you can see dear Myrna Garwyn just next to Katy....Myrna made two of the dinner dishes that were just spectacular....(Below, a better picture of Myrna with Rabies.....) I love the look on her face...lol......One of the dishes that Myrna made was a Chestnut Soup that was stunningly scrumptious....yum yum yum.....and she also made a sweet potato dish that could not have been topped! We all ate and ate and then, ate some more. After dinner we all went into the living room and I got to open my stocking.....As always there were fun things as well as some practical stuff, too and some Chocolate--What a surprise---Me, Chocolate? (lol) Andy and Katy sitting near The Creche which was sitting on the piano as it always does, and of course, the Christmas Tree over there on the right.
Maddy had decorated her room in such a charming beautiful way....I took some pictures of it--none of the pictures really do it justice...But, here are a few. Everything on the shelves was Christmas related....I loved those little pastel lights all around her bed....And that dear Santa Claus, too...! She had put little white lights at the top of her two windows and had hung a 'stocking' on each window....It was all so artfully done...Maddy has a real sense of style....... She had wrapped this big beautiful Theatrical Trunk that had been Betty's or maybe Larry's---they had played all over the country together and separately too---in Christmas paper and she had put her special tree that she decorated herself, next to it..... It was all absolutely charming and really beautiful. And by the way, Maddy had made a Vegetable dish for dinner that was superb...! Later, Maddy and her daddy played a duet together on the piano and everyone enjoyed it tremendously...... We all were very very impressed and riveted as they shared this little concert with us---it was from 'The Nutcgracker' and it was a pure delight! Below, Myrna, Betty and Carol applauding the performance. Look at sweet little Ruby over next to Betty....... Ruby just loves Betty so much. She was happy to have her home...And the feeling is mutual.....I love this picture below.....Betty's hand on a completely relaxed and sleepily happy Ruby, as we all listened to the special performance by Maddy and Garrett.......And two more very dear pictures----these of Karen and Maddy together while we were still at the table, I liked them both so much that I just decided to post them both......And so Christmas 2009 has come and gone and we all have some really truly lovely memories to cherish of that special day. These are the kinds of days and events that lift one's spirit and the memories stay in your heart forever....A Very Special Christmas, indeed.....!




More To Come...........







36 Comments:
had this to say:

Thank you for this post Naomi, so wonderful to see Betty up and about and enjoying her Christmas!!! Just wonderful!!! All the best to you for 2010...!! Kindest wishes, Linda xxx

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 1:42:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You always manage to have great fun but then it might also be who you hang out with.
It was so great to see Betty home and looking so good. What a wonderful family she has and it is obvious you are a part of them.
Rabies is a doll and am glad he is back with you.
Have a wonderful 2010.

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 4:58:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I need to make sure my 14 year old Elder Son does not see this post, or at least the photos of Maddy. Alas, he's reached the age where we begin to see hormones floating across his eyeballs.

Beautiful photos, BTW, and I'm glad your friend Betty was in attendance. Christmas in the hospital is no fun, indeed.

Cheers.

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 8:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy New Year Naomi! I haven't 'talked' with you in so long, but I read your blog everyday. I wouldn't miss doing that for anything! I think about you all the time, too. I'm glad to see Betty was able to enjoy the holidays with everyone and you, too. I hope 2010 is a wonderful year for you and all of your friends!

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 10:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

oh how wonderful! loved this post. Happy new year to you Naomi.

-rick

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 2:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You all had such a wonderful time together.... and how nice that the men cooked the turkey! Men like that are worth hanging onto! So nice to see you all sitting round the dinner table enjoying life.
I spent Chrismas Eve and the following morning with little Callum, opening presents. He doesn't really understand the concept of Santa Claus yet, but he certainly learnt fast how to open presents!

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 2:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas, Naomi, with such special friends. Love all the pictures, and your joy in being with them comes through so clearly in your post.

Have a Happy and Blessed New Year!

Renie

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 3:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It all looks like a wonderful gathering, Naomi, and I wish you had someone take a few photos with your camera and you in them!!

Betty looks none the worse for the wear and Ruby looks so happy with her there.

Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 4:33:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Betty can't help but get better while she's surrounded by such a beautiful and loving family...and friends!!

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 5:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy New Year to you, Naomi! It looks like a wonderful gathering. I love the last 2 photos---there is such a sweetness to them. I am so glad that Betty was able to come home and that you were able to share a special time with your good friends.
Cold, snowy and windy here. But the warmth of friends and family transcends the weather.
xo

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 7:09:00 PM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I'm so glad you had a nice Christmas and were able to spend it surrounded by people who love you. I'm also glad Betty made it home in time for Christmas.

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 7:17:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a lovely Christmas you all had!!! And the photos are terrific!!!! Glad Betty is doing so well!!!!!

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 8:30:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi,I really enjoyed all the wonderful photos and hearing all about your Christmas!! I'm so glad you got to go!!

Maddy is growing and is so pretty. I love those two wonderful photos of her and her Mom!

So wonderful to see Betty and she looks as vibrant as ever!! I know she is so happy to be home and I know her dear little dog missed her so! I do hope she continues to get better.

The food sounds absolutely divine. I've never had chestnut soup but it does sound yummy!!

As always, thanks for sharing!

It's very cold here, about 9 degrees right now and it's after midnight. That's cold for us!! Going to be a cold week.

Hugs and love,
Rachel

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 9:39:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It looks as if you were having a wonderful time in great company.

You even have crackers, with proper jokes in them, I hope!

My best wishes for a great 2010.

Happy New Year.

rashbre

Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 3:44:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

what a beautiful post Naomi! I am so glad you got to spend Christmas with Betty!! I have thought before how remarkable she is but now I think she's even MORE so, if that's possible!

The photo's are fabulous as always. You capture moments never to be forgotten and I hope everyone at that house keeps copies of the photo's you took so one day they can look back and remember things they may have forgotten.

Happy New Year Naomi.

Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 5:32:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm late posting, but happy that your Christmas with dear friends was so grand! Have a joyful and glorious New Year, dear lady. xoxoxoxo

Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 5:32:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Now that is a real Christmas gathering and everybody so happy to have Betty back and enjoying life. What a great lady she is and she deserves such a loving family and friends.
Maddie is a dream granddaughter and I want to sleep in her room please.
I'm wondering if Ruby and Sweetie have met and if they are such good pals as their mommies are?
Thank you for this heart-warming post and all my wishes for a happy healthy 2010 and lots of lovely posts.

Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 5:38:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Thank you for sharing all the aspects of your Christmas celebration. All of the laughter made me envious. The snap party favors are great and I'm going to find some of those for our celebrations next year. What warm and wonderful people you were able to gather with this holiday season and how blessed they were to be with you.

Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 6:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a together teen Maddy is! Her room was so nice and helping like that, you don't see that so much anymore. I am so glad you got to spend Christmas with your friend Betty and that she was home from rehab. That is a true gift itself. And I cannot believe that until I saw your post I remembered I forgot to do my "snappers" on Christmas! How could I have forgotten...oh too much to put out. Bummer!

Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 7:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I'm back from vacation and first of all, I'd like to wish you a very happy new year, my friend! Sounds like you celebrated the holidays with a wonderful group of people.

Friends, chocolate, the best pecan pie on the planet, Rabies, and a piano concert...what more could a girl ask for??

I'm happy to hear Betty made it home before the holidays and was able to enjoy it with all of you. I imagine being around friends like you is the best therapy in the world.

Those snappers look like fun and I love Maddy's room, with all the Christmas decor. She and her mom look sweet together in those last couple of photos.

Wishing you a healthy and happy 2010, Naomi! It's good to be home. :)

Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 7:21:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, I really loved seeing your Christmas Day with all your dear friends! I am also glad that Betty is doing so well!
Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures.
Happy New Year and all the best to you and your loved ones!
Many hugs!

Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 7:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What lovely photos of your celebration this past Christmas, we looked at a few of our books today from 2003 and 2004 we had forgotten so much, I was glad we took the time to create the picture collection as I relived some glorious times and I'm sure you do every time you look at yours. As I say over and over, yesterday is gone, except for our memories and in my opinion, they the most special parts of our lives. Wishing you a healthy and happy year...

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 12:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You and your friends always have the most fabulously festive get togethers!

Happy New Year to you!

Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 4:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The words that come to me to describe your Christmas are "lovely" and "peaceful."

Those lights and stockings in Maddy's room, especially the white lights make it look kind of like snow is falling, the way it reflects on the windows. I love it.

Happy New Year to you. xo

Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 10:55:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

This is such a lovely post! It looks like you guys had an awesome Christmas celebration! Loves it!

Monday, January 4, 2010 at 1:59:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

what a wonderful post the love shows in the pics and your writing about it. happy new year my friend!

Monday, January 4, 2010 at 6:58:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

happy new year my friend... i love x-mas but it brings back all the haunts in my life.. i miss my great grandmother this time of year the most and my grandma... Even NYE was hard.. I started bawling when we got to his mothers house because i missed them so much..

Monday, January 4, 2010 at 11:32:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, thank you ever so much for sharing your wonderful celebration. I love how much you all mean to each other!

Maddy & Karen sure look a LOT alike!

Monday, January 4, 2010 at 12:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

you are all so very lucky to have each other - the love is so apparent

I'm happy for Betty that she's home and feeling better - she's so lovely

Maddy is beautiful! and clearly very creative and delightful

Monday, January 4, 2010 at 1:42:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a beautiful time you had! I'm glad.

Myrna with Rabies? That photo cracked me up! Rabies is wearing a babushka!

Monday, January 4, 2010 at 6:10:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a fabulous time!

I'm so glad that Betty is better.

I love love love that bedroom :)

Monday, January 4, 2010 at 6:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wonderful. I am so happy for all of you. (I hope Maddy has the acting bug, she is beautiful.) Rabies looked so small...has he been dieting?

Monday, January 4, 2010 at 6:42:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I loved that the men cooked and that Rabies came too!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 9:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a wonderful pictorial review of your Christmas celebration. I loved it. Unfortunately, I was chief cook and organizer for 14 this year and I didn't take many photos! We too spent it with friends....three families coming together. It was really nice.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 10:55:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

We call snappers "crackers" and the jokes inside are more interesting than the rest of the contents! I'm afraid I refuse to wear the party hats. Well I have my street cred to think about!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 3:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

How I have missed your posts! Lovely Christmas!

Friday, January 22, 2010 at 2:18:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.