Monday, December 14, 2009
days gone by

More of the 1978 Art Show.....Above, the Brochure that was sent out.......It was called "Excessives Abound".....and it reflected all kinds of inner feelings that were rolling around in me at that time....
Sometimes 'art' cannot be explained in words......
Here is another picture from that same group of photo's taken before my 1978 Art Show at Ankrum Gallery....that is Joan Ankrum, the wonderful truly special Gallery owner, where I showed for over 30 years--until she closed the Gallery. There she is with her back to the camera, and Daddy Joe and me. It's funny, I never noticed his plaid suit before....No, it wasn't really plaid, it was a plaid design....He truly was a unique character, with his signature Bow Tie.....We were in the Gallery and some professional photographer was taking pictures of us, for what, I honestly don't remember....... Here is Joan with one of the 'greats' of show business. Gus Schirmer...He was an agent and a producer...I first met him back in 1951 at The Sea Cliff Summer Theatre....He loved talent! I mean....LOVED talent.....It was always an honor to audition for him because he wasn't afraid to show how he felt; a most unusual circumstance in 'the business of show'.....This picture above was taken, if memory serves---and it may not---at the actual opening....Joan had been an actress 'back in the day'...at Warner Brothers and I think that is how she knew Gus. She had opened her first little Gallery in late 1960. I met her in early 1961. She was a true 'original' as they say..... Above...Joan and Gus Schirmer...(Yes, the Schirmer Music Family..), once again, with Joan's life-partner and business partner, too...Bill Challee. A wonderful dear bright crazy man, and an amazing actor, who had been with The Group Theatre back in the 1930's, and even while they ran the Gallery, Bill still worked as an actor. Some of you might remember him from "Five Easy Pieces"...He played Jack Nicholson's mute father, and brilliantly, I might add.....Joan and Bill were unique in the Art World and I think it was because they brought a theatrical sensibility to the Gallery scene....They were unpretentious 'real' people with a real relation to 'art'. All kinds of art. Over that thirty year period, they moved from that first tiny gallery on La Cienga, up near Santa Monica Blvd., to a second space down the street that was larger, to a third and final space---the one in these pictures----It was a huge wonderful building, which they bought and then lived in an apartment above they gallery, where they remained until Joan closed the Gallery in 1989. Bill, Joan and Gus, all gone now. Above....here is Betty and her younger son Andy....Betty too, has always been so very supportive of my 'art'....she has quite a few of my paintings covering many years of my career.....And as an update in her health, Betty is doing very well....I spoke with her today and she sounded really good. Everyone is hoping she will be home by Christmas..... And above, here we are together.....This particular opening was a very sweet evening in so very many ways. In fact, the whole weekend was special because so many of my immediate family were here......The night of the opening, I had a party afterward and that made for a lovely end to that particular evening....Here below, a picture of The Three Sisters, at the party. Gene was wearing a rather revealing blouse for the time, though now it would seem quite chaste and tame....lol...but she looked very pretty.....It was nice for us to all be together on such a happy occasion.... Above, a picture of Betty and my sister Robin at the 'after-the-opening-party' that I gave....It is always sweet to share your friends with your family, too.....Betty knew both my mother and my father---she knew Daddy much better because my mom died in 1966...... Oliver and Betsy Hailey gave a party for my family the next night and it was just lovely. Great food, great people, and in the picture above, that's me on the left and Robin on the right. Another reason why photographs are so precious. They capture a moment in time that stays in the memory much longer because you have this special image you can see at any given time----images reminding you of special times like this one above. And this one below, too......... This picture was taken at The Haileys. That's Daddy with Oliver and Betsy's two daughters. Brooke, over on the left side of the picture and Kendall, over on the right, now both married and with their own children. And, incidentally, it was Kendall and her husband Danny Miller who started me blogging.....Danny has a wonderful blog called "Jew Eat Yet", (over on my sidebar.....), take a gander when you get a chance...... Here above is a picture of Oliver and me at my opening. This dear kind and generous man had volunteered to sit at a table during the opening, selling my 'limited edition' book---"Excessives Abound". He sat there writing invoices and taking money.....What a special thing to do for a friend to do. Especially, and award winning playwright....... And here's another picture above of my father and myself at the opening......And below, Daddy Joe and me at The Haileys party...... Photographs such as these, help you to remember the better times and in some cases the best of times, as opposed to those other times that only break your heart..... No, one doesn't forget those harder painful times, but, in point of fact, I'd rather remember these good times of sharing, and photographs have always helped me do that in such a fabulous way. And, in my opinion, these are the memories and the images that sustain one over the long haul of this thing we call 'life'.......



More To Come.........







23 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love that second to last photo with your dad. One can see the pride in his eyes as he gazes at you.

Cheers.

Monday, December 14, 2009 at 6:12:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

"Excessives Abound" must be a rare collectors edition now with such a limited number. Have we seen pages from it?
Your Daddy looked so cute with those two little girls. Quite impish.
The last picture with you and your Dad is my new favorite.

Monday, December 14, 2009 at 11:16:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I never tire of hearing about your precious family and friends and looking at the pictures. I am truly a nostalgia buff.

I'm sorry you can't read my blog, after the New Year I will have it fixed. Don't worry about it, you aren't missing much ;)

Monday, December 14, 2009 at 1:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I so enjoy seeing photos of you and your family, Naomi. And you have known some of the most interesting people!

Monday, December 14, 2009 at 2:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

How I wish I could've been in your neck of the woods and a few years older in '78 to have been a part of your art show...not to mention the after party. The painting is beautiful. Wonder what "inner feelings" it reflected.

Love your sister's sexy blouse! lol She must've turned a lot of heads in the 70s (and you, too!). Looks like you all had so much fun together. I can see how these photos take you back to a wonderful time.

That last picture of you and Daddy Joe...you have the same sparkle in your eyes! Love that photo!

Monday, December 14, 2009 at 7:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love the photos of you and your dad!

Monday, December 14, 2009 at 8:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wow, these photos are fantastic! And oy, that picture of Kendall and Brooke with your dad! I had no idea they ever even met him! Love these. And I loved when Betty wore her hair that long, in her Irene Lorenzo days. What fun it all looked. Keep scanning!

Monday, December 14, 2009 at 10:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm so glad you have so many photos of your wonderful life. And I hope you don't get tired of my saying, Thanks so much for sharing these with us!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 12:20:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Such precious photos and so glad to hear Betty is recovering well.
Of all your talents Naomi which is the one of which you are most proud: writing, directing, acting, your music, your painting? You certainly must have had the best fairy god-mothers when they were handing out talents.
I was amused to see your sister's dress; I had a similar revealing one in the sixties and I wore it visiting my sister in the States and she gave me a right rollicking.(a good telling off)

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 1:56:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I think it's better to learn and grow from the bad experiences and then remember the good ones. There's no sense holding all that negative stuff inside your heart or your head.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 4:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

These are precious shots Naomi and days might gone by but memories stayed forever ya :D

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 7:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm glad Betty is doing well and may be home for Christmas. I am wishing VERY hard that she is home by Christmas!!!
Your sister Gene was sporting some major cleavage with her low cut blouse. Va Va Voom! Hahaha. She was showing off her assets.
Like you said, that blouse would not be anything out of the norm today. If you've got them, why not flaunt them a bit??
:-)
Your art is beautiful, expressive, intricate, and reflective of your feelings. I'm so glad you got the recognition you deserve for it.
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy New Year!!!
I'm sprinkling you with magic fairy dust right now. This guarantees you happy holidays!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 12:44:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It sounds like a wonderful experience and the photos are great, beautiful especially those with your dad.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 2:31:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Great memories and wonderful of you to share them with photos. Glad to hear your friend, Betty, continues on the mend.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 3:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

i've said it before, you are so fortunate to have so many photo's of these happy times of your life! and, of course, I love how you share them!!

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 3:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I never thought about it before, but it is true, we really are not apt to take photos of unhappy times or events. Perhaps that is why I cherish my old ones so. Art---really hate when people dissect art with words, might as well kick it. Wonderful photos and memories. I hope you feel better soon.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 12:43:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wow what a wonderful time in your life my friend.. What special memories these are to have.. Hope you are enjoying them.. Thanks for sharing your life. I have learned so much about you reading here. I have learned you are an actress and now an artist... Wow. what an amazing person you are...

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 3:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I think it's great that you have all these photos to look back on and share them with us.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 8:54:00 PM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I love seeing your pictures! the one of you and your father is precious.

Betty had such long, beautiful hair!! glad to hear she is doing better.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 12:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Great photos and wonderful time, Naomi! I always enjoy seeing your memory's pictures, they are very precious indeed! Love also seeing the Naomi Caryl Brochure of your beautiful paintings.
A big hug to you!

Friday, December 18, 2009 at 6:39:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi! Your memories are such a treasure to share. I just love reading and browsing on the photos. I feel so honoured to know someone of your talent and grace.

Saturday, December 19, 2009 at 6:22:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

More lovely memories of good times spent with friends!! I enjoyed this post, as I always enjoy reading about your life and seeing all the photos of family and friends!

I do hope that Betty gets to come home for Christmas! I'm glad she is doing well. I saw her on a rerun of All in The Family a couple of days ago and wondered how she was.

Hugs!!

Saturday, December 19, 2009 at 10:37:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

"Photographs such as these, help you to remember the better times and in some cases the best of times, as opposed to those other times that only break your heart."

So true. I love the photo of you and Oliver. And the precious photos of you and your father. I agree with other readers, he looks incredibly proud of his talented daughter. And you also wrote a book? What Miss Naomi can't you do?

Oh I am glad I am back reading blogs again. Yours is always so incredibly interesting, inspiring and a joy. I personally love it that you focus on all the positives in your life - there is so much to be so very proud of. Your exhibition brochure is gorgeous too. Wish I had been there to see it myself. Oh and Betty had long very thick hair too. I love seeing the pictures. Thanks again for sharing.

Friday, January 22, 2010 at 2:43:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.