Thursday, December 10, 2009
memories

With the Holidays almost upon us, I got to thanking about earlier times and family and friends.....Above, that's me with my father. The occasion was the opening of one of my One-Woman Art Shows at The Ankrum Gallery, here in Los Angeles....It was the only show of mine that my father ever came to and both my sisters came, too. And here above is Daddy Joe and is harem...lol....Well, not really. But my brother couldn't come to this opening so it was just us girls----including Daddy's wife, Olga. That is my sister Gene over on the far left. Olga next to her, Daddy; then my oldest sister Robin and then me. Both Daddy and Robin are gone now---Daddy died the end of August, 1981 and Robin died the beginning of February, 2005..... And here we are above....The Three Sisters, though not really anything much like Chekhov....! (Well, maybe just a little.....). Everyone had flown out from the east coast---Gene from New York, Daddy and Olga from Washington, D.C. and Robin, from Boston. It was really wonderful that they all could come! And above, two of Robin's children joined in the celebration, too. Danny and his lovely wife Nancy---over on the far left, and Debbie, right next to Robin over there on the far right.....Danny and Nancy had flown down from Davis, California, and Debbie had come from Boston with Robin. It was really great to have them all share in the excitement of this opening. When I found this picture above, I was reminded of the fragility of life and how fleeting it can be. Both these very dear friends, John and Hanna are gone now, too. Hanna died in May of 2008, and John died in May of 2009.....Here they are above looking so young and alive. Above, good and dear longtime friend Lee Grant over on the far right....And next to her, Barbara Bain, who, along with her then husband had been members of Theatre West.....and on the far left is Lila Kedrova, a wonderful actress that Lee had brought to the show. Lee was in the middle of pre-production for a beautiful film which she was directing with the brilliantly talented Lila Kedrova and and the equally brilliantly talented Melvyn Douglas called "Tell Me A Riddle". (Worth renting from Netflix, believe me.....). I was thrilled that Lee brought Kedrova with her and honored to meet her, I might add......Lila Kedrova is gone now too, having passed on in 2000. Below, Lee's husband Joey Feury with the wonderfully talented painter, Morris Broderson...... That is Joey over on the left---hair everywhere...lol, and Lisabeth Hush in the center there, and dear Morris, who has always been so very supportive of my work. Morris' paintings hang all over my home---I began collecting his work in early 1961.....And I turned Lee and Joey on to his Art and they have a large number of major works by him....I'm happy to say, Lee & Joey and Morris and Lisabeth are all still alive and all still good friends! And above, the incredibly talented and very dear dear Ron Rifkin....I think it was the year of 'the beard'.....lol! Another good old friend who is still very much with us, I'm happy to say. If you watch "Brothers & Sisters" you see him every week playing a very lovable character, and before that series, he was on "Alias", playing a rather evil character. He and his dear wife Iva have always supported my work as an artist, too, and I am deeply grateful to them......One more picture below....Pat Crowley, Earl Holliman and Oliver Hailey. Oliver was an incredibly talented playwright who died much too young...There were so many lovely Holiday party's at The Hailey's...every Christmas Eve they would have a wonderful open house with gorgeous food, all made by Oliver's talented writer-wife, Betsy Hailey...If you have never read "A Woman Of Independent Means", you have missed one of the dearest books ever written! And dear Earl---well, in fact, I just spoke with him yesterday. We talked about New Years Eve--a tradition here. And dear Pat...well I am still in touch with her, too....And you know how long I have known her? Well, here are two pictures below. That's me in the hat. And Pat is on the far right.....And below, I am in the upper right hand corner, still in my hat, and Pat is looking up at all of us. It was the summer of 1952 and the play was "My Sister Eileen", and the place was The Sea Cliff Summer Theatre! Pat played 'Eileen', and I don't even remember the name of the character I played....But, what is so nice is that I re-met Pat around 1964 here in L.A., at Theatre West....And here we are below at my art opening in 1978...... Pat was here for one of our 'Ladies Who Lunch' in the fall of 2008 as I recall.....and we speak on the phone every month or so....So, there are some lovely memories of times past that seem to crowd in around this time of year.....And it is very nice to re-visit those lovely times. Poignant, of course, but, that is life, isn't it?



More To Come........







37 Comments:
had this to say:

I love reading your stories, Naomi... You and your sisters really do resemble each other and your dad looks great standing there with you all...

Sorry I haven't been by much lately, I've been very busy with life. I miss reading your stories and seeing your gardens.... I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year..

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 4:03:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm first!!!!
I always love reading your stories about days bygone and looking at pictures too!
It is wonderful that your family took the time and expense to fly to share such a special event with you.
Wishing you a very joyous winter solstice!

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 5:01:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love your memories Naomi..they way you seem to mention them is almost like it was only last week. gosh.. wouldn't that be wonderful!

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 5:46:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

How funny that you should mention one of my most favorite books - "A Woman of Independent Means" - is awesome. I read it a zillion years ago (well not really - but, you know what I mean) - and I saw it in my "keeper" bookcase the other day - and thought - "oh, I should re-read that book!" Now maybe I will...

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 5:54:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I really enjoy your "memory" posts and photos. It's great that you have all these available for your enjoyment.

Cheers.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 6:22:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

poignant indeed

so many wonderfully talented people in these photos

I love the photo of you and your Dad, he has such a sweet expression on his face and you look gorgeous - as you always do

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 7:49:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You've really been blessed with friends, Naomi. It's always so much fun to skate over here and read about your past and the present.
Hope you are staying warm!

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 8:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Thank you for sharing ! I am sorry about the loss of your friends. You are right that life is short and precious !

Happy Holidays !

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 11:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm thinking you need to write a book. You have so many remarkable people in your life.
I really liked the picture with just you and your Dad.
Pat Crowley was who I wished I could be after seeing her in "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" and I always had a crush on Earl Holliman from "Giant" on.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 11:49:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a wonderful occasion that was!!! And I loved the photo with Earl Holliman -- at one point he was my fav TV cowboy and I had a crush on him! And I loved him on Police Woman with Angie Dickinson.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 1:15:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

So nice to join in your memories, Naomi. And so sad that so many of your dear friends in these pictures are gone from this world. Nice to see more pics of your dad and the rest of your family.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 4:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wonderful photos--and how great to see a picture of my father-in-law Oliver that I never saw before. I only wish I'd been able to go to your show. You need to have one now to showcase your amazing photography! I didn't know you knew Pat Crowley. Did you see my recent mention of her on my blog? I loved her in "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" when I was a kid! I remember "Tell Me a Riddle." Lovely film. And of course Kedrova's role in "Zorba!"

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 5:39:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Always great photos, such loving memories and everyone always looks so happy. Some of my favorite actors and actresses you knew. What a gal. What gift to be able to peek into your life.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 7:35:00 PM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Beautiful memories and pictures, my dear!!.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 10:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love Ron Rifkin. I loved Alias and his role in it (a real meanie) and I love him in Brothers and Sisters (one of my favorite shows). I remember Pat Crowley; always so pretty.

I still say you must have a jillion photos!!

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 10:30:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Great pictures and lovely memories. Is your friend Pat the Pat Crowley that played Marion Lawlor on "Frasier?" If so she has a really long page on IMDB.

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 12:11:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Lovely photos and memories -- treasure the friends you have who are still living!

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 1:08:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Always such a treasure to read your blog - such wonderful memories and the photos that go with your words are dear beyond compare.

Happy Hanukkah Naomi - blessings to you. Love and Hugs. xo

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 4:59:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Thank you for sharing your precious memories with us. This really is a time of year when we start to feel nostalgic I think.

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 8:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Holidays are definitely a time for nostalgia. How wonderful when the memories are beautiful ones

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 4:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Love, love, love your posts. Especially these with the older photos.

Your Father looks so proud in that photo!

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 10:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I so enjoy your posts the history of Hollwood you have ! You should put all these in a book !
I wish you the Merriest Christmas !

Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 12:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You have so many wonderful memories of a life full of art, entertainment, good friends and so very very full! It is always so interesting to read about your memories so thank you for sharing them.

I do hope Betty is doing well and is well on the road to recovery. I was very sorry to hear of her accident and ma sending all the positive thoughts I can.

I also hope you and Sweetie are well. Life over her has been very 'up and down'. I am sorry I haven't visited here more. Take care *hugs*.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 6:17:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Lovely memories of old friends and family. Quite a lot of them are familiar faces to me now so I feel they are not strangers.
BTW the book you recommended to me - Leslie Caron - arrived today - a treat to read over Christmas. Thank you:)

Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 8:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

How wonderful to remember those days and have the photos to refresh you thoughts. I'm so impressed with the wonderful father and family you had and so love as they loved and respected you it is such a gift.

It's always so empowering to stop by and read your blog as it gives me smiles and a great nostalgic feeling for hours later.

Dorothy from grammology

Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 9:38:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love getting a glimpse into your life and times, so foreign to my own and yet universal. But things seemed simpler then (but maybe they weren't). I feel melancholy when thinking about all those who are gone. We all carry that one together.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 3:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love reading your stories and seeing your pictures, Naomi! Your memory posts are really great. I love the photo of you and your Dad, so precious momments! Thanks for sharing!
Have a nice Sunday, my dear Naomi.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 4:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love the first picture of you and your father, and your "year of the beard" comment gave me a smile. Great story and pics.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 7:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I loved reading this and seeing all these lovely friends of yours.

You have had such a fascinating life and so many memories, and I'm so grateful that you share them with us!

Love and hugs!

Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 8:01:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Lovely pictures! I have to ask, did you ever shop at a boutique called Potpourri near USC? Keeping you and yours in my thoughts. xoxo

Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 6:07:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I loved walking down Memory Lane with you this morning (in PJ's with my café con leche in hand)! :)

These photos are priceless, Naomi! It shows how much you've done in your life...your talent and your involvement in the arts and all the beautiful people you've met along the way.

Love the first photo of you with "Daddy Joe!" I can't believe it's almost been 30 years since you've lost your father.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 6:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, I just love to read these memo posts of yours. Your stories, the way to describe and all well documented with pics - thanks so much for sharing!

Hmmmm, 1952: That was the year when I was born, so it was in special interesting read :-)

Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 12:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

As always, I love the photos, Naomi. I'd love to see some of your artwork. Have you ever posted about it?
xo
d

Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 8:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

wonderful post Naomi. I just saw Earl a few weeks ago, he still looks great

Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 9:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You have such a wealth of memories and photos to bring back those memories. Courtney and I watched the entire series of Alias during her last break from school. Ron Rifkin's character was terrific - we loved to hate him! I've never seen Brothers and Sisters, but I am sure he is marvelous in it as well.
You are blessed to have all these lifelong friends, and they are blessed to have you. What rich and varied memories you have of all the things you've been a part of. You've crossed paths with so many creative, talented people.
I bet your art shows were amazing events to attend, and I am glad your sisters and father were there at that one to support you together!
I don't know if your dad expressed how proud he was of you and your work, but even if he didn't, I am sure he was VERY proud.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 12:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

How fun! I love the picture from your opening of all the sisters, plus debs and my parents!! It looks like mom was expecting Sarah then. I love it when everyone looks like they were having such a grand time and all coming together to support you. Happy holidays and much love!!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 7:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I never would have recognised Ron unless you had pointed it out, the year of the beard indeed !
So glad to hear Betty is doing well, I really do hope she is able to be home for Christmas.
I am always amazed by how many photos you have and the memory posts are as always my favourites.
:D

Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 1:47:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.