Wednesday, December 02, 2009
the franks and "rabies"

Ruth and Danny Franks are very very old friends of mine from the New York days....I actually met Danny, before he met Ruth---back in early 1954, I believe. That's Danny over on the far right, and Ruth is sitting in between Audrey, their daughter-in-law, married to Michael who is on Ruth's other side. Michael is Ruth and Danny's oldest son. And at this point, Rabies was visiting with dear Michael. The Franks, Ruth and Danny that is, have six children! Here above is a closer look at sweet dear Michael, with Rabies sitting on his shoulder.....Our lives are so entwined.....Below, is a picture of Michael back in 1965-66.....He was just a little boy then. The picture above was taken at my mothers house in Great Neck---the house I grew up in. It is very meaningful to me that Ruth and Danny and their first three children all knew and loved my mother---and she loved all of them so very much, too..... Here I am with Michael. I was doing a lot of Cross-Stitching all during those months before Christmas, and after, as well---in fact, I must have sewed 60 or more pieces and those were my Christmas presents to everyone that year. My mother was very ill during this time and had been in and out of the hospital any number of times since the summer---her doctors having discovered that her cancer which had been in remission, had returned and had spread. I was flying back and forth from Los Angeles to New York a lot during those many months..... Here above is Ma, affectionately known as 'Jen The Hen', with little Susan Franks on her right, Michael Franks is behind her, and the youngest of these first three children, Joshua Franks, over on her left. She never knew the next three Franks children, Naomi, Jessica and David because within a few short months after these pictures were taken she was once again back in the Hospital another two times and she died on April 2, 1966. Above, there is Ruth and Susan and me. Danny was taking the pictures that day, as he always did. I am so glad I have these pictures of my mother with Michael, Susan and Joshua.....and with dear Ruth, too.....Here is Ruth below, here in my house the day after Thanksgiving, with her darling daughter-in-law, Audrey...... And of course, the ever delightful Rabies, sitting on Audrey's shoulder. Michael and Audrey just had their 18th Wedding Anniversary in October and I was the "officiant" at their Wedding on that wonderful day in 1991. And it was such a 'full circle' kind of happening....I was there at Michael's Briss, when he was just a baby....and then, I got to marry Michael and Audrey on October 27th, 1991 at Greystone, the old Doheny Estate in Beverly Hills.....Above, there I am wearing my Reverends Robe....it was a very cold crisp windy but sunny day, and we were all thrilled because the Wedding was outdoors in one of the Gardens at Greystone and the day before, at the Wedding Rehearsal, it had been pouring rain and there was no 'plan B'. Thank God we didn't need it....lol! And above, the Bride and Groom and me, at the reception, which was held at a lovely restaurant here in Los Angeles....Audrey hasn't changed at all....And if anything, I think she looks even lovelier now....! And here is an amazing thing. Audrey's maiden name was McCann. Her brother Jim is married to Naomi Franks, and her brother Andy is married to Jessica Franks. Isn't that something? There is some very deep connections between the McCann Family and The Franks Family.....! Above, dear Danny. Papa and Grand papa.....who turned 86 years old two days after this picture was taken, on November 29th. Danny was 31 years old when I met him, and I was 23 going on 24.....Good Lord! Where did the time go? It was lovely to spend a few hours with them last Friday....we just always pick up where we left off, no matter how much time has gone by. I hadn't seen Ruth and Danny for two years, (When they were here in Los Angeles last year for Thanksgiving, Danny got sick and so we couldn't get together....) and it was three and a half years since I had seen Audrey and Michael. And they live right here in Los Angeles! But isn't that always the way.....I think Rabies very much enjoyed meeting all of them. He certainly seemed quite content with having visitors meet him, and they all just loved him.....!






More To Come.........




NOTE: On Thanksgiving Day afternoon, my dear friend Betty G. fell at the home where she and her family all always have Thanksgiving Dinner, breaking her hip quite badly! 911 was called and off to the Hospital she went. On Monday morning she was successfully operated on and is doing incredibly well....They couldn't operate until Monday because her blood levels had to get to some better numbers showing that her blood had thickened sufficiently to be safe.....I spoke to her late this afternoon---talk about resiliency---and she sounds amazing for a person who has been through as much as she has in the last 5 days......Do send positive thoughts and prayers her way for a very speedy and full recovery....I know she will be most grateful as will her dear family and all of us who love her so very very much, too. She is so very precious to so very many people......










37 Comments:
had this to say:

I've always loved the fact that you have retained so many friendships from your youth. That seems to be a rare thing today. My best wishes for recovery for Betty!

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 12:42:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

PLEASE tell Betty G that we are praying for her quick recovery. I hope that she won't get pneumonia, as so many older people do when they break a hip. Mr. kenju will be devastated when I tell him!!

Naomi, you must have millions of photos from your past! I love seeing
all of them!

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 3:44:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh I just had to post and send my heartfelt wishes for a VERY full and speedy recovery for Betty, so shocked to hear about her fall and operation. Chin up Betty and get well soon, love you lots!!! Best wishes, Linda (Barefoot in the Park) xxx

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 4:16:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Ditto to Geewits' comment.

I'm sorry about your friend and I hope all is well.

Cheers.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 4:33:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I am so impressed how you hold on to your fiends also. It is a tribute to both you and your friends.
Rabies is just too cute and I see he has wormed his way into their life also.
I am so sorry about Betty but today recovery from hip fracture is amazing. My mother had one and completely recovered.
My prayers and wishes for a really rapid recovery.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 5:11:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I woke up this morning with Michael saying"you must read Naomi's blog today" so with my cup of coffee I got to wake up to your beautiful blog with all your beautiful pictures! Thank you, thank you, we love you so much! xo, Audrey

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 8:02:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I will send out good thoughts for Betty

I love all the photos
especially the older ones, looks like they could have come right out of one of my old albums
the hair, clothes

and Oy! Great Neck, gotta love Great Neck

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 12:12:00 PM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I love seeing pictures of people over time, seeing how they age. Audrey looks younger than she did in her wedding picture. Marriage must agree with her. :-) I'll say a prayer and sent good thoughts to Betty for a speedy recovery.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 1:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You must be an awesome person - because you keep your friends forever it seems!

Please know that good thoughts are heading out for Betty! I feel like I know her just from reading your blog...

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 1:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

There are so many people that need prayers today in the blog world! Sending good wishes to Betty.

I love all the photos but especially the black and white shots. Wonderful.

Rabies doesn't miss an opportunity to get in every possible photo does he! :D

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 5:10:00 PM PST 

Anonymous JJ
had this to say:

I am wishing Betty a quick recovery - it seems like we know her so well because of the entires you have wirtten - so I'm sending good thought to a friend!

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 5:42:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a great story and photo!

And hugs and prayers for a complete and speedy recovery to Betty G!

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 7:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It's so neat that you have so many long friendships! And now Rabies is getting to experience them too :)

My good thoughtbeams are going out to Betty G. for a very speedy recovery.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 8:40:00 PM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

What wonderful moments with dear friends!!

Wishing your dear friend Betty a speedy recovery!

Thursday, December 3, 2009 at 1:45:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I'm so sorry to hear about Betty and will certainly say a prayer for a full recovery.
Otherwise the post was a lovely family history and such a delightful photo of your mother and the children and you and the children.
What a fantastic experience to actually marry a couple - and after 18 years it seems to be working. Well done:)

Thursday, December 3, 2009 at 3:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I've enjoyed reading your friendship with all your friends and what a lovely walk down memory lane.

Sorry to hear about Betty, best regards and a big big hug from Singapore :D

Thursday, December 3, 2009 at 9:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi,
I am so sorry about Betty G and I send my best wishes for her quick recovery!

I will come back soon to see "The Franks and "rabies". I must to turn off the pc because heavy rain is comming soon...

PS: I just updated my post about Plumerias with photos specially taken for you! I hope you like them.

Thursday, December 3, 2009 at 1:53:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What wonderful photos of all of you so many years ago. How lucky you are to be able to find all of them!

Best wishes to Betty G. for a quick recovery. Let's hope the new hip is as good or better than the old one!

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 9:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I hope Betty is feeling better soon. That's so tough as we age and fall.

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 9:48:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

First of all: I wish the very best for Betty G.
Bring the very best wishes from me and RennyBA.

You can see us live just now:
http://qik.com/rennyba

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 12:44:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

So, then it's about time to comment your post.
I allways read your stories about family and friend and experiences with great interest.
I will say: The most important history book of American Theater in the past 60 years.
I'm really happy to have found your blog - and it's very inspiring and easy to comment your posts.
You know why?
Because you are a professional communicator.
And you are the sweetest commentor of all. 'cause you are so honest.

Have a great time.

ps. I'm sitting here in Mariestad with RennyBa and DianeCA. But miss Anna and the Cats and the 6 tiny Kittens.

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 12:54:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

My best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery for Betty.

I always love the old photos and stories!

Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 6:25:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Such a nice visit! And such lovely remembrances.

You married them? Is there anything you didn't do :)

I hope Betty is okay.

Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 6:45:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That is sad. My MIL fell while she was here at our home for Thanksgiving also. She fell off our front porch step.. We had told her to go out the back door because the front step was to steep. But no she wanted to go out the front door and her dog jerked on her and down she went.. So she broke her wrist.. We spent half the evening in the hospital.. Yikes..

Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 8:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Sending all my best thoughts to Betty G. Lovely photos, she really looks so much the same age! You in your marrying robe! Bless you! Blessings to Betty G!

Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 12:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a nice visit with your dear friends! Rabies was right there visiting away too!! :)

I am so very sorry to hear about Betty. I will certainly keep her in my prayers and pray that all goes well and she'll have a quick recovery.

Hugs, Rachel

Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 1:52:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Amazing three siblings from one family marrying three siblings from another,I love it.

My heart jumped into my throat when I saw your note about Betty,sending her tons of good thoughts and prayers for a full and quicky recovery. Poor love :(

Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 2:38:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thoughts and prayers for Betty G, her doctors, care takers to come and friends who will stay with her during her recovery. May it be speedy and thorough.

Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 5:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm so sorry to hear about Betty G, and I am saying a prayer for her and her family this very moment.

I'm happy that you've been able to reunite with old friends and introduce them to your newest friend, Rabies. That monkey sure attracts some wonderful and interesting people!

Happy December, my friend! Enjoy the season!! xo

Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 5:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thinking of Betty and hope for the best!

You have so many great pictures and tell so wonderful stories - great and interesting read from your rich life.

This wonderful moment with great friends was so nice - thanks for sharing!

As you know from TorAa - we had a great time in Sweden this weekend :-)

Sunday, December 6, 2009 at 12:47:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,
Love seeing you doing Cross-Stitching. You have great photos!

I remember the post you did with you as Reverend and the Bride and the Groom. Nice seeing you with your dear friends. I also think that Rabies enjoyed very much meeting all your friends!

Monday, December 7, 2009 at 4:19:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, thanks for your thoughts on the Good Wife they were worth thinking about and please keep them coming if we were all the same life would be so boring..

Hugs

Dorothy from grammology

Monday, December 7, 2009 at 2:58:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Kevin Raftery
had this to say:

From what I've read about your Mother I get the feeling she was a woman with a very good heart...like the time she arranged to help pay for John Taras' education in dance.
I noticed from the pictures you posted that you and your Mom hang the paintings on your walls in a similar way. Kevin

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 2:42:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Love the pics! Rabies is too cute!

Hey we were watching All In The Family last night and your friend Betty was on there! It was a great episode (she was the neighbor with the italian husband).
I know i've told you several times how much I love Carroll O'Connor!

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 3:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I scrolled down and began reading posts I've missed. I'm hoping that as I make my way upwards to more recent posts that there is good news about Betty's recovery.
The Franks seem like a wonderful family. What marvelous friends they've been for so many years. I love the deep connection you have to them. Rabies is cute!!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 12:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh my gosh! My heart skipped a beat. How is she now Naomi?

Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 5:15:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

High, it's Andy, Marty Grahams son your cousin is anyone reading this anymore. I miss my family, i am in Spokane wa I just learned my father died. I am very sad, David I know you were close to my dad My phone number is (509)216-2399 my email is drew78767@gmail.co could one of you guys please get a hold of me please? Love you guys miss you all

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 4:26:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.