Monday, November 02, 2009
the boo "ladies" lunch!

Here we all are....in our "costumes". Explanations will be forthcoming...But first, I want to share the table with you....It really looked very pretty and I was particularly pleased with the 'special' bags for Halloween.......And here they are above, these very special Halloween Gift Bags, which I had filled with all sorts of silly Halloween goodies. But the most wonderful 'gifts' were these beautiful hand-made Pumpkins.... These were lovingly made by the incredibly generous and talented Debi....I saw one on DesLily's Blog and just fell in love with it and Debi kindly made me more than enough for my dear 'ladies who lunch'......Isn't he just the dearest thing you have ever seen? The ladies absolutely adored him and they too, 'fell in love' with them and were thrilled that they each could take theirs home with them! The Flowers were absolutely gorgeous....Van outdid himself with this Halloween arrangement....The colors were so rich and lush.....! And now.....let me show you the costumes and each persons wonderful creativity.....Some more creative than others, of course. My costume was the least creative of all of them....My excuse? I cannot go anywhere....(lol)...... A Blue Wig and some Halloween glasses! Pretty lame. I know. But....it was the best I could do through Mail Order.....! And now, in order of appearance----Below is the wonderful Betty Garrett..... And a closer look at dear Betty's costume, below........ I love her wig and that cute nose, too.....And her wonderful Dr. Denton's with the little bears....adorable! Years ago Betty gave me a pair of these but Sweetie took them over and they are on the floor of his favorite-hiding-place-closet......Next, we have Lee Meriwether.... Lee had said that her costume was very 'labor-intensive'....and it certainly was.....She came as a "Paint By Numbers Canvas". Anyone remember those? Well, here is a closer look below at Lee..... As you can see....she had put the outline of flowers on herself.....and inside each flower and stem, were numbers.....These numbers tell you what color to fill in...... And in this case...the number for the inside of the flower was 12 and the number for the stem of the flower was 1.....In the real Paint-By-Numbers boxes, all the colors were numbered, too of course.....Lee even put all these things on her face and eye, as well.....Here below, a close-up of her face...... I love that she made herself a black canvas which meant she had to use black make-up and black gloves and a black skull cap....very very clever.....! Then, Bridget Hanley arrived....Now, she had to go someplace else after leaving our Lunch, so, this is what she did..... She found these Witches Gloves.....lol! I love that they are like The Witch Stockings.....very inventive....Here below is a closer look at the hands.....Don't you just love those nails....! And because Bridget has a great sense of humor she gave us this very special pose, below......... We had this discussion about where the striped stockings for Witches began....and we all decided it must have been with "The Wizard Of Oz"...The picture was made in 1939 and that is the first time I remember seeing striped stockings on a Witch.....And we all thought it was so very very clever to make Striped Witches Gloves......Next came Dianne Travis..... Dianne asked us who we thought she was...I said Michael Jackson, because that was the first thought that I had. Well, I was very very wrong! She came as Ellen DeGeneres.....lol...I think the mask confused me. I thought it was wonderful when Bridget, with her Witch Gloves, was helping Dianne with her tie..... Actually, she did kind of look like Ellen....her outfit was perfect and even her hair had a kind of 'Ellen' feel to it.....I tell you, I love these ladies.....I mean, we are all of a certain age, you know? But the great spirit that lives in each one of them---that child-like wonder that exists in each of these ladies is so very endearing and truly wonderful.......I mean look who then showed up...... It's dear Seemah Wilder.....! Yes, it is! She looked fabulous! And almost unrecognizable....! I thought about her driving all the way from Pacific Palisades---a good 45 minutes to an hour or more, depending on traffic----dressed in her make-up and costume....I love it! I mean....what if she had been stopped or God Forbid, had had an accident.....it would not have been too swift, you know what I mean? But I don't even think she gave it a second or first thought....! This picture above has more of the essence of the Seemah we know and love......There is a lot more to this Halloween Lunch, so come back for Part Two, in a few days......




More To Come..........














34 Comments:
had this to say:

oh my gosh!!! how fabulous is this?!!! I love, love, love the costumes!!!!! Everyone is so funny to dress up for you!!! I love it Naomi!!!
(also glad the ladies loved their debi pumpkins!) You certainly had a grand time!!

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 4:48:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Looks like fun. My daughter and her boyfriend spent two hours getting made up like the Joker and his sidekick Saturday night. Much effort, but they won the contest.

(Love the flower arrangement, BTW. Perfect for fall, yet the colors cause us to look forward to spring.)

Cheers.

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 6:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Love that little pumpkin! I KNEW it was Ellen! LOL Paint by number---that IS scary! Hey, you did the best ya could! LOL What fun you ladies have.

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 8:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

These are great, Naomi! I love the paint by numbers, a terrific idea. I hope you are well.
xo
d

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 8:50:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Can't believe I'm first! Your LWL are such good sports and even if they had a later appointment they all made the effort.
Your blue wig is very effective - you could be Judge Jeffries or Judge Dread. I wouldn't like to have to choose the best as they all have something delightful about them.
One of these days I hope you will show us round your art gallery. It's so tantalising to see lovely pictures in the background and I'm sure thty all have a history.

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 9:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

LOVING IT Naomi~ I hope when I become "of a certain age" I can retain my childlike wonder and sense of fun.
Y'all ROCK!

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 9:54:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

No doubt about it, you ladies know how to par-tay. Totally loved the costumes and especially the group shot. I would have given all of you my intire candy bowl.
You all are so creative. Can't wait for the more to come...

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 10:55:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a great, beautiful party and how creative you all are!!!! I can tell you had an amazing time!!!

And Lee Meriwether looks simply amazing!!!! I remember when she was Miss America! Today she could be Ms. Elder Amerca!

And the knitted pumpkins are ever so darling!!!!

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 12:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

LoL! Who would've thought that blue hair would suit you so well? :) As ever it looks like you are all having so much fun and I just love those little knitted pumpkins - so sweet!

I hope all is well with you Naomi.

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 1:01:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi,

I love that you had this fabulously fun luncheon with your friends...the costumes were great! And, the giveaway pumpkins are truly adorable...

I've been reading - just not commenting much...

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 2:06:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I am always amaze how you guys manage to pull off such wonderful theme parties. It's totally inspiring and thank you for sharing this beautiful moment. It looks like you guys had a blast. Belated Happy Halloween!

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 2:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

These costumes are so adorable, I always like to see the grown ups dress up, they are more creative than the kids, hope your Halloween night went okay, love that little pumpkin.

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 3:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Love. love. love this whole post! The gift bags, the flowers, the outfits, but more than that, they way you all have so much damn fun!

The Ellen DeGeneres outfit is brilliant.

I'm not into Halloween, but I'll make an exception on your blog!

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 3:50:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, you certainly know how to have a lot of fun! Your friends and you all looked fabulous. I liked your blue hair! And those little pumpkins were the cutest. I would have attended your luncheon just to get one of those! lol.

Can't wait to see part 2!

From another woman of a "certain age," me.

Happy Tuesday!



pS. Are you on Facebook, Naomi? I am much more active there. If you are, I would love to befriend you.

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 5:53:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Now that is the kind of pumpkin that appeals to me.

Those costumes are delightful and the flowers beautiful.

It is so much fun to drop in on your parties.

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 7:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What do you mean, Sweetie took over your Dr. Denton's? I can't believe you gave those up to him! Now THAT is a good momma. heh

As always, I love your lunch get togethers. :)

xo

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 11:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I love all of it!! The sweet little pumpkins and Van's gorgeous flowers, the Halloween bags with the feathered rims - it's all wonderful!!And I love that your friends were all willing to don costumes. I love your blue wig and Lee outdid herself! Betty looked so cute in that wig and nose! I know all of you had a lot of fun. I can't wait to see what was in the goody bags!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 3:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Superduper! Love those scaaaary costumes. You would all be welcome to Trick Or Treat at my door any day!
And your costume gives new meaning to being a "bluehair"!!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 6:04:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

OMGosh, what a wonderful luncheon! Everything looks gorgeous...the centerpiece is just stunning, the bags are totally adorable, but most of all, you ladies!!! You all look so FABULOUS!!!! Glad you all had such a marvelous time...and it's perfectly obvious that you all did just looking at the photos! :D

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 6:35:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

one word.....FABULOUS!
u go girls work it own cause you sure did! i give it 2 snaps and twist with a bit of pumpkin on it hehe!

Loved It!!!!

kisses!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 7:19:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Oh you all are so much fun! I love that you did this! How wonderful to still have childlike fun and play with like-minded people. I love the costumes. I think the paint-by-numbers was the most creative. Loved your blue wig too!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 12:35:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wonderful pics of all you ladies! I do say that the blue hair is quite smashing!! And loved the little pumpkins! What a great friendship you all have, not everyone can understand the true meaning of dear friends!!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 1:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Those are amazing costumes ladies.. Love them all. I havent dressed up in years so I have no idea what I would go as...

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 7:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

First of all, I LOVE your blue hair...it complements the glasses beautifully (or the glasses complement the hair).

You ALL look fantastic! I love Seemah's costume and the way you describe her driving from Pacific Palisades in traffic made me LOL.

The flowers are amazing...vibrant and beautiful and all I can say is VAN IS A GENIUS!! His arrangements are out of this world!!

The gift bags look fun and the hand-made pumpkins...what a treat! Thanks for sharing the good times with us...but wait a min., what'd you eat???

Can't wait for part deux!! :)

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 7:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a delight and every one of you are so sporting.....such great fun and what a lovely lunch I must say :D

Seemah ROCKS!!!!! :D

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 9:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

These are great costumes -- everyone was so inventive!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 12:49:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

This "boo ladies lunch" looks very fun, Naomi! Really you did a great party. Love the costumes and I like your blue hair too. LOL!
The flowers are gorgeous!
I would love to be there.
Have a nice day my dear.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 4:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You ladies look just fantastic! What a fun idea for a lunch. The Ellen Degeneres one cracked me up.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 5:35:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

LOL I just had to come back for a smile. Thanks for always giving me one.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 8:55:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You are some very special, playful and creative ladies - no doubt about that.
I'm overwhelmed by the costumes and the table decorations and the flowers.
Fabulous party.
Thanks for sharing;)

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 3:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wow! You guys look great!

I love your blue hair ... it's so blue!

Looks like you had a fun fun party! You guys have such great times :) Thanks for sharing them with us.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 6:34:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Ellen DeGeneres cracked me up!

Friday, November 6, 2009 at 11:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi!! Oh, what wonderful fun you ladies do have!! I love all the costumes!! First time I have ever seen witches gloves! Love the stripes and the nails!! LOL

The little pumpkins are so cute!
Beautiful flowers!!

Looking forward to the next part, which I'm getting ready to read NOW, since I'm slow to get here!!

Hugs!! (Oh, I think Sweetie was wise to get your Dr. Denton's to lie on! They look very warm and comfy!!)

Saturday, November 7, 2009 at 8:34:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love all the costumes, especially Seemah's. She scared me!!!
I like you with that bright blue hair.
Maybe it's a look you might want to consider permanently?? Okay, maybe not, but you looked really cute.
Those pumpkins Debi made are terrific!
It always makes me smile when I see you and your dearest friends together and smiling and having fun.
:-)

Sunday, November 8, 2009 at 5:57:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.