Tuesday, October 20, 2009
halloween is coming - part 2

Continuing on at that same house.....This is the very cute sign that they have near their front door pointing the way to where Halloween goodies will be found. I wish I had a child that I could send over there on October 31st, just to see what else they will be doing....Actually, I might try to get back over there in the next week or so, if I can, to see if they have added any more 'set dressing'...... This hanging creature above is another skull-faced skeleton person....I love the juxt-a-position of the beautiful Bird of Paradise growing in their front garden and that strange hanging person...... It's like she/he is closed up in a kind of open cage....Look at that face....lol....And just because it is such a beautiful flower, here is closer look at that exquisite Bird Of Paradise! This particular flower really does look like a bird. I've seen hundreds of them and most of the time they don't really look as much like an 'exotica' as this one does.....Beautiful, Beautiful. You cannot beat nature! This happy little fellow above sits right next to the front steps. What a delightful character he is....perfect for greeting all the little 'trick or treaters' who will be coming by this house on Halloween night...... Look at that smiling non-frightening Pilgrim...! I applaud that they have him there so that the really little children won't be as scared by the Skeletons and that screaming guy, because this smiley-face person is right there greeting them, too! I love his green hair....lol! There were a few more Halloween Decorations that you just have to see...... These three colorful Witches were the first things I saw as we came to a stop on Carmelita. We were heading towards this house I mentioned in my first Halloween post, and I just happened to turn my head and saw these three on the lawn of this house and it was too good to pass up.....Below, here is the first witch over on the left..... I love the color of their costumes....I am very partial to Purple and the material has a nice semi-shininess to it. Her hair is a little unkempt---it almost looks like a beard in the front.....! And her Broomstick is just as it should be. The middle Witch is my favorite. Her hair is in the right place---no beard----and her witchy face reminds me of 'Beulah Witch' from "Kukla, Fran & Ollie", for any of you who remember that superb gem of a show. (I wrote a post about them waaaay back in 2006---I absolutely adored that show......) Anyway, Beulah was one of the many puppet characters and she was hilarious! I loved all of them---Kukla and Ollie and Madame Ogglepuss and Colonel Cracky and Fletcher Rabbitt, etc., etc. etc. But I did have a special place in my heart for dear Beulah.....Something about her was so very appealing and she was so terribly funny...that show is a must-see...... The third Witch's face is turned 'up stage' at the tree....and her hair is quite askew, isn't it? But you can really see the very pretty color of the costume in this picture above.....Below, here is a picture of just the first two Witches..... That second one's Broomstick has a bad curve in it...lol....well, this is how the three Witches are attached to each other---It did look funny, that's for sure----The Broomstick on #2 and #3 go up under the capes so you cannot see where they are attached.....When I saw them there on the lawn I thought of the three witches from 'The Scottish Play' by Shakespeare....I cannot write the correct name because they say it is very very bad luck, but it is a one word title that begins with the letter "M"! And below.....another wonderful show of humor by the folks who live in this house..... This poor dear Witch flew right into that tree....lol! And of course, what came to mind for me was that Wicked Witch from "The Wizard Of Oz" that is hit and killed by the house falling on her when Dorothy first lands on The Yellow Brick Road, and she becomes a Heroine to all The Munchkins.....Remember? And she gets those Ruby Red Slippers from Glinda The Good Witch.....I wonder how they know that Witches all wear these striped stockings...? Anyway....I love that Witch stuck on the tree. Very Very clever! (Though maybe if that Witch had had the Ruby Red Slippers she wouldn't have gotten stuck on the tree....ha!) And the kind of fun thing about this whole happenstance was that the house I wanted to photograph and which we were on the way to so I could photograph when I saw this Halloween display, is this-house-below...... It is known as The Witch House....! And it is right there in the flats of Beverly Hills. This is how it used to look before the renovation that has been going on for years......I didn't take the picture above.....But below is one of the pictures I took and this is how it looks today......The renovation is still going on after quite a few years and that is why there is that green barrier thingy sitting on the street surrounding the whole house. It was originally built in the early 1920's by an Art Director on a movie lot in Culver City for a silent film or two. It was moved to it's present location in Beverly Hills in 1926 and has stayed pretty much the same for almost 70 years...It was then bought in 1998 I believe, by a Real Estate man who wanted to restore and preserve it and return it to it's original eccentricities with a few twists....Like the Chimney, for instance...... Above....how the Chimney looked 'back in the day' (and the overgrown garden, too)....And below, how it looks now on the day I was there......
I found another kind of wonderful picture on the net of The Witch House in all it's glory in maybe the 1940's or 50's or maybe the 1960's.....And here it is below...... As you can see, all of the landscaping is very low and many things had not grown in yet......Below are another couple of pictures that I took the day we were there....... And below, a closer look at some of the restored windows...... I was told that this house is on the Starline Tour.....and it doesn't surprise me because it is quite an unusual oddity and has a history connected to the film industry and there isn't anything else like it in that area or maybe in any area.....There are what are called 'storybook houses' throughout Los Angeles, but none like The Witch House! Below, one last photograph of mine..... I sure wish that green thing wasn't surrounding the house because it cuts off quite a bit of the view of the garden, but I understand why they need it there......I thought it would be kind of fun to feature this house with Halloween almost here---But I wish I could have gotten better pictures of it.......





More To Come........













29 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

What a fantastic display for Halloween - one can almost imagine there is a nip in the air with snowfalls to come. Whoever designed the witches should work in films or the theatre - maybe they do. They are magical. How lovely to be able to nip out and see it on your doorstep.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 12:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

LOL I always watched Kukla Fran and Ollie! Too funny Naomi.. I hadn't heard those names in Eons! LOL.. loved BeulahE I often wonder where ideas for names come from? I mean really.. Madame Ogglepuss ?! LOL..

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 2:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That's really fun. You gotta love these whimsical people that build these things. There's a Munster Mansion near here in Waxahachie, Texas. They even made their staircase raise and have a monster inside. It's MunsterMansion.com and it's pretty cool because they do Halloween events to raise money for Meals on Wheels. I hope the guy renovating the Witch House puts that to good use, too.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 2:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Just loved the "splat" witch. Very clever.
That house is somthing else. I agree, that green barricade is tacky looking. Hope it is gone if only for Halloween.
Thanks again for the tour.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 4:01:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The bird of paradise flower is truly one of my favorites. I wish we could get them to grow here.

Cheers.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 5:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The Witch House is wonderful! A welcome respite from the McMansions of today. Thanks for a boo-tiful post.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 6:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Now that is a lot of decorations, they are so nice. I love that old witch house and glad to see it being fixed up. Have a nice week.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 8:39:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi, Now that is what I call a great Witch House, reminds me of what I envision, the witch house from story of Hansel & Gretel to look like. Imagnation, is a great gift, of all varities, to be shared. Pat from NY

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 9:49:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I love the Witch House!!
And love seeing all those Halloween decorations, since ours are just a few pumpkins... no fun!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 10:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I can hardly believe that fabulous Witch House.... only in Hollywood could such a fanciful building exist! I think all the Hallowe'en decorations in your neighbourhood are wonderful. People around here decorate their houses too, but we tend to do it closer to the actual date of Hallowe'en. I'm looking forward to seeing my two little grandboys all dressed up this year!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 12:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

WOW, now that witch house is fantastic. That's doing Halloween in style! Here in the boonies, kids don't even trick or treat. Houses are too far apart, and walking on the dirt roads, surrounded by woods, a trick or treater might just meet a bear or coyote! Scarier than a witch! They have Halloween parties, instead.

Loved all your fantastic pictures. That house is like something out of a fairy tale.

Take care!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 5:12:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I've really got to get to my Halloween decorations, but it was cold and rainy here all weekend. I have high hopes for this weekend. That witch's house looks like one used in the movie about witches starring Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Cathy Najimi, the name of which just escapes me right now. Oh well.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 7:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I LOVE THE RUBY SLIPPERS! hahahahahaha!

Naomi, you have totally inspired me. There's a house here where the owners go all out with lights and whatnot. I am so going to get photos so you can see!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 9:08:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Sadly, we don't really have a Halloween here in Norway. It sounds fun to have that kind of tradition. I would say I find the house quite nice and I saw it in the movie Clueless.

Sorry I've been gone for quite some time since I've been swamped with schoolwork and just began with my part time job as well. Anyway, it's nice to visit you again here.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 12:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Only in the Hills. LOL--the slippers. LOVE it! :O boo

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 9:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Whitch way?
haha

You present a really kind of Fairytale post here.
What's going on? Who are these creatures?
Dangerous or friendly.
I think those on your photos are very friendly - like pets, in a way.

When thinking about it:
halloween is fun
- but so what?
Why are people today so eager to celeb Halloween?
An opportunity to celeb with friends.
For "junk"- costume producers to sell more?

When you think about this,
you are wellcome to join us in the trip from Mid France to Southern France.

Btw. I'm no able to post photos again.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 1:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Belated Birthday to your sister :)

I love the lawn witches!!!
purple is my favorite color
actually purple and black equally, my son calls it my 'color of death fetish' ;)

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 4:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your Halloween decor photos, and the witch house is wonderful!! I think I told you before that I have an autograph from Fran Allison (of Kukla, Fran and Ollie) - one of my favorites when I was young.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 9:16:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Jen
had this to say:

I have a sudden urge to carve pumpkins.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 10:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those are some cute Halloween photos! For the first time in years we went all out decorating to the point where it looks like a haunted house. It's the time of the year where I don't really worry about cleaning the house, but this year, I'm not doing a thing (except laundry and cooking) until November!

Loved the ruby red slippers coming up from under the house! lol That's a decoration I would want and the kids would love!

The house you showed in the photos is just perfect to decorate this time of year. I can just picture a witch's brew cooking in the kitchen and black candles all over the house.

Happy October, Naomi! Eat chocolate and be merry!! :)

Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 4:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Quite a fascinating Halloween display. That house is indeed unique. I especially like the witch who has flown into the tree. I've seen variations of that on occasion and it always seems to strike my funny bone.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 4:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't have any place to store all that stuff!

Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 6:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! Love this photo reportage, Naomi!
Amazing the garden with these three colorful Witches and the Witch House is amazing too!
I would love to be there to seeing all personally...

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 7:23:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great finds on the Halloween decorations. Some are so creative! Here are some more pictures of the Witch's House I thought you might like to see.

Winnie

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 4:34:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Duh, sorry, forgot to include link.


http://thirdandfairfax.blogspot.com/2006/06/witchs-house-of-beverly-hills.html

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 4:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

HA HA! Those witches are funny! :)

I understand completely your frustration about that green "border" around the house. I guess stilt lessons are in order for future pictures? Committment, you know. lol

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 9:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I like the 3 witches! Never saw them like that but I have seen the splatted one that runs into something! Also cute and funny!

The witch house is interesting! I can see why it's called that with that tall roof and the wavy looking front roof! Very odd! Be interesting to see inside it.

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 7:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

OLH ... hello, love your info on the Witch House, how very interesting, I must "ggogle" it and see it on my trip to CA. My halloween customs have all changed since my daughter died, one of those things is you life that you just can't explain why...so now I celebrate Celtic New year or the Samhain (see my blog today). I do look forward to seeing my little grandson dressed as a fireman though!! Enjoy your day!
signed you friend form LI ...

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 1:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

nice photos! The Witch's House is fantastic and wonderful! it looks like a house from a fairy tale! I think I'll visit it soon! the owner is a real estate agent from Beverly Hills, Michael Libow.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 5:34:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.