Tuesday, February 02, 2010
a little meme +

Pat, from Past Imperfect has a fun MEME on her blog today. Name three classic moments in films that made you buy something or think something or do something that maybe you shouldn't have. Well, I'm sure there were a few films that influenced me to do something I shouldn't have, and.....there are certainly a number of films that made me think, and some that made me buy something I probably didn't need, but there were many many many films that made a difference in my life and moved me in the direction I had already chosen in life. And here, in no particular order: I remember when I saw "Rear Window" when it first came out, I loved the idea of being able to see people through binoculars or through a long long camera lens. This was waaaaay before I moved to California or lived in my house. I know I shouldn't, but I really love looking everywhere from my deck with my binoculars and my long camera lens. So far, I haven't seen anything as creepy as Jimmy Stewart did, and in fact, I've never seen anything even near creepy, at all, but I do enjoy kind of 'spying' from afar....a terrible confession! I LOVED the Sunglasses that Audrey Hepburn wore in "Breakfast At Tiffany's".....it is practically the first shot in the film. It's very early morning on an almost empty Fifth Avenue....And there is Audrey in all her evening finery---carrying a paper cup filled with coffee and a doughnut that she munches on as she stares at all the sparkling things in Tiffany's window, and she is wearing those fabulous huge sunglasses....I wanted them! And I tried to find a pair just like them for myself. Did I need them? No. Were they very expensive? Yes. Did I actually buy them? No. Because I never found those very same glasses....I no doubt would have bought them had they been exactly like Audrey's. cost-be-damned! The movie "Laura" is one of my many 'favorite' films....It is beautifully filmed in Black & White and has the very gorgeous and exotic Gene Tierney in the title role, (Her clothes were stunning beyond words and I wished I looked like her and dressed like her...and in fact she was at her most beautiful in this film) and "Laura" also had the very young, and very very handsome Dana Andrews as the policeman who is trying to solve Laura's murder. Clifton Webb, Vincent Price and Judith Anderson, all great actors, were in this film as well---what a fabulous cast this was....! The score of this film, written by the incredibly talented David Raksin, was so very very beautiful that it made me want to write film music. This probably doesn't fit the criteria of the meme, but, it was an important film for me because it got me thinking about something I felt maybe I could do. Incidentally, did you know that the song "Laura" was written after the film came out.....The great Johnny Mercer wrote the lyrics to David Raksin's music...... Following along with the inspiration of the score for the movie "Laura"...Another film that made an enormous impression on me and which I found to be a rather profound film on many many levels, "The Goddess", with the sublime Kim Stanley playing the lead role. Lloyd Bridges and Steven Hill were in this small independent film, with an important 'original' screenplay by one of the "great" writers of the 20th Century, Paddy Chayefsky. It was released in 1958. Fade Out: In the late 1970's I began working on turning this film into a Musical Theatre piece----I wrote about 6 songs for it in a 'workshop' situation. The problems lay with securing the 'rights' to this material. But....the inspiration of this special film, if nothing else, produced some very wonderful songs , if I do say so myself.....Can you see the line going from "Laura" to "The Goddess"? As I said....these last two films were more about 'inspiration' and 'thinking' of something that maybe I could do, and not something I shouldn't.....(Sorry Pat...I guess I got off track here....lol...) Oh, And....I'm not going to tag anyone...if you think this will be fun to do just go ahead and do it and let me know.....



In regard to my post about J.D. Salinger, the wonderful Randall from "Musings From The Hinterland" had written a critique of Salinger's work and I commented on it and he then wrote some further thoughts on Salinger, and I commented on that, too. I mentioned in my comment that my well-worn-falling-apart-browning-pages-paperback copy of "Nine Stories" (not a picture of my copy above, though it is the same Signet edition) sits on a shelf in my Bedroom and that I was inspired to take it down and re-read the stories....This paperback is truly falling apart....the pages have fallen away from what little paste-type binding there was back then....(1954)....but the stories still 'sing' to me with all their loving humanity. One or two brought me to tears and I found myself laughing out loud, too.....I urge anyone who has never read these to get a copy of this book---I'm sure one is available in better shape than my sweet little paperback that is 56 years old and that I treasure----yes, I treasure every loose brown page of it......Thank you Randall for sparking such a wonderful discussion on this lovely writer's work. And, here is a link to an article that was in Mobday's The New York Times in regard to J.D. Salinger's reculsiveness----Evidently, he was not that reclusive with the people of Cornish! Enjoy!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/us/01salinger.html?scp=5&sq=j.d.%20salinger&st=cse




More To Come........







20 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Thank you so much for doing that Naomi. I knew it would make fascinating reading and was exactly what I hoped for. I hadn't thought of 'Laura' for years but remember the sheer romance of it and Dana became my secret love for a while - in my dreams:)
Audrey was such an iconic figure and Eryl(The Kitchen Bitch)also mentions her.
I'll go and see what Randall has written about Salinger.
It's great you were inspired to create music.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 2:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

how interesting! I remember all those movies except the Goddess I'll have to try and do something about that. Odd are I have seen it but just not placing it in my pea brain lol.

needless to say I've had a long time fascination with my zoom lens too lol..i loved my old cannon that took film ..it too had a 300 lens, so it's been a long time love affair lol

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 4:03:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You managed to hit two of the ladies on my "Pantheon Of Hot Babes Of Yore," whose like we will never see again, I'm afraid: Audrey Hepburn and Gene Tierney.

P.S. Because of you, I ordered Nine Stories yesterday on Amazon. I shall report.

Cheers.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 5:42:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I loved the moments you chose! Audrey Hepburn is one of my heroes and fashion role model. She defined elegance.

And Rear Window was one of Hitchcock's masterpieces.

I haven't seen Laura or The Goddess in years but you can bet I'll be checking for both. Wonderful films!!!!!!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 8:10:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Oh this sounds like fun. I'm definitely going to give it a go.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 8:21:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Interesting on the films. I will have to think about that one.

On Salinger, I read that articles and some others that do expand on the portrait of the man. It sounds like he wasn't so reclusive in many ways but he just didn't want the life that went with being a 'famous' author and could afford to do what he chose. Intriguing man to be sure.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 1:01:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Fun meme and I love your choice of films (although I haven't seen the last one...yet).

I remember loving the way Audrey Hepburn dressed and carried herself in that film...and yes, I wanted the sunglasses, the cat named "Cat," and the guy (George Peppard...gay or not!)! lol

It's been a while since I've done a meme. I may do this one!

Happy Hump Day, my friend! Hope all's well in the hills. xo

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 at 3:07:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Being a born people watcher, I am with you and the "peeking" in aspect. Haven't done it with binocs but would if I could.
Dana Andrews was a real favorite and I loved Laura even though I only saw it on a small screen.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 at 4:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I enjoyed reading this, Naomi, and had to read it out loud to mr. kenju. He says to tell you that he used to sing at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Of course, that was before his voice changed! LOL

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 at 5:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh dear oh dear,
this is a hard one when coming to movies that made me buy something or adpot something i really did not need.
You know when young, after my pre-teenager periode with Western moviees etc, I suddenly changed my interest into to new Frenck Wave, from around 1960.
Which in fact was very different from Movies made in USA - at that time. (You know my passion for France).
The only thing I did buy from those movies?
Travel to France. Simply as that.

btw. We have had a very snowy winter here in Norway.
One of the Kittens find a Green Solution this afternoon. Smart Kitten.Hehehe. (on my blog)

And I'm still at work - until end of this year - at least.

big hugs
T and A
Oslo

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 at 12:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

This is such a good idea! I'm gonna give a go in a few days.

Audrey was so beautiful. :)

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 at 2:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a classic there Naomi and although I am not familiar with any of the movies this is certainly very interesting to me.


About the book you mentioned by Salinger, I will check out the link too.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 at 7:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Loved this post and reading about the not so recluse Salinger. Makes me want to move there. I am torn between small town life and big city. sigh. (when I first moved to Seattle it was BOTH, but mo more)
I have to really think about this meme (and I avoid memes but this one I kind of like)---I always played out parts as a child...bad stuff...I'll have to think on it. But The Miracle Worker was my first real movie at age 5 and it made me leave saying, "I want to be an actress!" Never lost that desire.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 at 9:00:00 PM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Okay, my meme post is up, its right behind the drummer snowman post.

Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 8:40:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

We have that voyeuristic thing in common. I never go on vacation without binoculars. I think my weirdest "movie influenced" thing was after I saw Body Heat: I spoke in a low husky voice for about two months. That's bizarre to think about now, but I was only 20. Oh and I also love Laura - that's a great movie. Do you like Stage Door? That's one of my old faves.

Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 9:40:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wonderful! Closest thing I can think of (because we were watching the movie tonight) when I was a very young girl, I fell in love with Peter O'Toole's English accent and blue eyes. When I grew up, I wanted to marry someone just like that.
Well, my husband was born in the UK- but his parents were American and came home while he was a baby- so no accent, And his eyes are Dark, dark brown,

Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 11:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a great meme! Sadly I can't think of any movies that inspired me to do something at the moment. I don't think it's because none have but more because my head is full of other things at the moment!

I loved your choices though :)

Friday, February 5, 2010 at 3:05:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Now that is a meme right you your alley Miss Naomi. Audry Hepburn - she was the most glamourous woman whose beauty is timeless. And those glasses are amazing. I have a smiliar pair myself but dont look like her which is a damn shame...

I have never seen Rear Window - but I do like the idea of binoculars - besides you need to bring the outside in given you are restricted from being outside. I am shocked that you haven't seen anything creepy - its Hollywood, we are counting on you. you are our Blogarrazzi Naomi with a finger on the pulse and an eye on the long camera lens lol! And how wonderful your wrote some music as a result of the Goddess. You never cease to amaze me with your talents.And its wonderful how we can get inspired by many different things. What a precious book Salinger's Nine Stories must be to you. It will hold lots of memories too. Take Care and have a good weekend! I wish you successful spying....just joking...

Friday, February 5, 2010 at 7:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Good choices, and such great descriptions. I was able to catch Breakfast at Tiffany's a few weeks ago. I adore that film, and ended up reading up on it. I didn't know that Truman Capote hated the film and thought Audrey was a poor choice for the role. He wanted Marilyn Monroe. I can't see that though.

Sunday, February 7, 2010 at 11:58:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

As soon as I saw the MEME description I thought "Breakfast at Tiffanys" and had to laugh when I scrolled down and saw it in your answers. Her style in that one has made me buy a certain little black dress, sunglasses...I love that film. Great answers. I will have to think about what my others might be!

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 7:29:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.