Wednesday, February 24, 2010
the answer

This is what that very unusual rendering comes from. And a number of you were very close if not right on the mark, with your guesses....This "Cachepot" is one of the most Beautiful Blue's I've ever seen....It's a true 'Cobalt Blue'--there is nothing like the richness of Cobolt Blue.....And there were, I believe, five of these pots, all together. Here is the second one.....As you can see it sits on the top of the Mail Box to the left of the entrance to the driveway of this house....Here below is the look from afar! It was late afternoon and the light was going the wrong way....I thought these were kind of pretty gates, but the thing that really intrigued me were these truly beautiful cobalt blue Pots! The other three Pots were on the other side, which had a 'delivery' entrance as well as an exit for the cars that were leaving the driveway of this house so they could get out onto the street...... I didn't spend too much time on the gate itself, though it certainly is attractive....As I said, I was much more interested in the pots and what was in them......But mostly, what was on them. That Blue just knocks me out! As a painter, I absolutely adore the depth of this color. And below, a closer look at the face/head........ The plant that was in this pot looked like this, below...... This plant above was in another pot---in fact, it was to the right of the Exit, just as the one above it was to the right of the Entrance.....The plants in the other three pots were not doing as well as these.....I think it has something to do with their position and the sun...... This one, by the Exit, is in better shape than than the one below that is sitting on top of the Post Box pedestal...to the left of the Entrance.......The plant actually looked like it was struggling for life. And this one below was the fifth Urn, by the Delivery entrance---as you can see, there is a bell to the left of it, and it looks like a speaker so one can identify themselves, like..."UPS, here". There may even have been a camera, but I didn't get out of the car to check that out.As you can see from all these pictures...I fell in love with these Pots or Urns or Cachepot's, not so much because of the decoration, but more because of their size and their color......I'm not really sure how they stay secure to the posts they are on, but I would venture a guess that it is some kind of cement.....I know this: They haven't been stolen so they must be very very secure, and I bet they weigh a ton! One last close-up look at the design........ The design is rather fascinating but the pots themselves, to my eye, are Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful.....!



More To Come...........







22 Comments:
had this to say:

I love them. Cobalt glass is highly valued among antique collectors. I can't remember nuch about it but I know it's valuable. Those pots are worth a lot.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 1:10:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Wonderful. You are right: beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!! Wondering if the Californian sun won't damage the fascinating cobalt color...

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 3:14:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

My grandmother used to have many cobalt vases trimmed in gold leaf. I think there's a reason that color, along with purple, were/are often used to adorn royalty.

Cheers.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 6:01:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That blue is amazing. Wish my eyes were that blue! :D

Great pots, I hope they are frost proof, or don't you ever get a frost where you live Naomi? :D

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 7:17:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm a cobalt blue freak too, Naomi. As a child, I remeber the magnificent cobalt blue storefront veneers that had been popular in the early '30's, but by the time I saw them, were being mod-rinized into ugly "no-color" signage. I still love the color, even the faux ceramics in 99 cent stores, and the ubiquitous promotional mugs. Faux though they may be, they provide every level of society with the opportunity to enjoy this beauty.

the fat lady

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 10:13:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Cobalt blue is my all time favorite color. For years I collected cobalt blue bottles, dishes, sea glass, anything I could get my hands on because I so loved the color. I just feel good inside when I look at the color.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 10:37:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Absolutely gorgeous! What a vibrant depth of blueness. Like a midsummer blue sky.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 1:35:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Lovely! Cobalt truly is one of the pretties blues around!

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 1:39:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I so enjoyed looking at the beauty of these pots, what a great idea you had...as usual..

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 3:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful. I can see why they'd catch your eye!

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 6:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Only in the Hills! I can't imagine how they have not been stolen.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 6:15:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

i'm so glad you came by to let me know the answer was up! those are beautiful! it always surprises me how many secrets los angeles still has to share. xoxoxoox

(feel free to do a movie clip theme/day whenever you like! just let me know, so i can visit and also see what fellow bloggers chose!)

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 6:55:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I have cobalt glass items in nearly all my windows, even old Vick's Salve bottles! There is nothing like the light shining through cobalt blue!

Those cachepots are beautiful!!

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 9:20:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It is very beautiful and good to know what it is...lol

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 9:45:00 PM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I missed the convex-ness of them. Even if they are cemented down it's very trusting of the owners to have them outside the gates and give beauty to the neighbourhood.
Re what Randall says; purple was the most difficult colour to get(until they discovered a dye which made it easier) so only rich people could afford it. I was half watching a programme about it so only half know the facts:)
Thought about you last night when I watched a double bill - the documentary of Grey Gardens and then the film. I found the documentary a bit harrowing but loved the film. Brilliant characterisation by Drew Barrymore.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 1:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I had bugged Holland into telling me what it was last night at figure drawing class...and now I just had to pop in and see for myself. They're the most beautiful blues pot and I love where they sit. What a place to come home to. Thanks for sharing, my friend...I can sleep a little easier now.

Have a thuper Thursday, my friend! :)

Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 2:43:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh Wow!!! Looks like an expensive piece of item to be place outside but then again...stylish and elegant to say the least :D

Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 6:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful... Just beautiful... That color is beautiful.. Even as a crocheter that color is amazing.. You can make some very pretty things with that blue..

Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 10:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

your artists eye makes sure you capture beautiful things and colors!!... I am always glad when you have a chance to get out and about.. i know just how hard that is for you (and me!)..

Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 1:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, these are lovely pots and quite intriguing with the art on them. The cobalt blue is vibrant and so pretty! I love the gate too! Nice to see the flowers as well! xxoxx

Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 8:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love cobalt blue. It is such a rich wonderful color. Great captures. One of my best friends as all kinds of cobalt blue vases and stained glass things in her home. It is so much fun to be in her house.

Friday, February 26, 2010 at 11:25:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Sorry, Naomi, I am late on comments... That cobalt vases are absolutely gorgeous! Love this color!

Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 5:16:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.