Thursday, February 14, 2008
a memorable valentines day

This looks like it was created by a very young child....maybe 4 or 5 years old, at most....Well, it was created by a demented 'me', and I was not yet 10 years old.....The spelling is atrocious....The hand writing/printing, worse.....It really is a testement to the pain I was in at that age.....Here below, is a Black & White reproduction of this little Valentine.....My father had left---well, that is to say, my parents had seperated.....and the only two adults that were still in the house were my mother and my grandmother.....What I find so amazing about this little Valentine is how honest and direct it is. In just these few words....you get the whole picture. I didn't say put my heart BACK together.....I said, 'put my heart together' (wrong spelling, here, you'll notice---togAther.....just as the word Valentine is spelled wrong, too 'valintine'....)...In other words, my heart was never ever together, from the very beginning get-go....! And I knew that then, at 9 years old.
Later.....many many years later, after working somewhat through the traumas of my childhood....I did a whole series of paintings using the Valentine Heart Image as a jumping off place, so to speak. All of the hearts were broken, and/or had pieces missing, etc. And the painting below was the painting on the brochure for that show.....With the reproduction on the cover of that Brochure--In Black & White----of that sad little home made Valentine you see above.....

And then this painting below----the image inside the brochure......These two images spanning almost thirty-four years!Here below is a picture taken at the Opening of this Heart Art Show, on February 14th, 1975..... You can see me and a man...(I have no idea who that is, now thirty-three years later...) And he has the Brochure in his hand....! It was a very successful show...I sold almost three quarters of the 90 pieces....almost unheard of, I might add. Lots of people came to the opening and lots of paintings were sold that night...I have color slides of a lot of the work. But I haven't been able to digitize them, yet. I'm hoping to get them put on a CD so that at some point soon, and then I can post a few of them....Meanwhile, here are a few more pictures of the opening, in B&W....! This picture above was taken just before Bill Challee, (Joan Ankrum's partner in The Ankrum Gallery), who was standing there with me at the front door to the gallery, was about to unlock the door, signaling the fact that this show had officially begun. It was a rainy evening. (Many people wore hats), but that didn't stop people from coming to the opening, and that was very gratifying....I don't know who it is I was talking to but I like that you can see a lot of the small canvases hanging behind me. The more than 90 paintings in this show, covered a period of about two and a half years of work by me---paintings and drawings. Here above, you can see more of the paintings...This is what is so wonderful about Art, wether it is Music or Writing, or Painting....you can turn your worst experiences and trama's into 'art' and when you do, what you often find out is that those feelings are pretty much universal....!
I decorated the Gallery with Valentine Cards on just about every surface that wasn't being used for the hanging of the paintings and the drawings. The idea being the jusxtaposition of these happy loving cards of every kind, with the paintings on the walls of broken hearts, pieces missing, etc....That is Andy Parks standing on the right talking to Dale Brandenburg, and you can see all those cards way over on the left side of the picture.... And above, more cards over on another wall-space as someone (I have no idea who...) takes pictures of the paintings hanging nearby..... And above, more cards hanging on a pole in the middle of the gallery behind my wonderful dear dear friend and special actor, the late Johnny Fiedler, who some of you may remember from The Bob Newhart show....The next picture is not a great picture, but it shows some more paintings in this enormous show....The one way in the back is a huge painting....it is titled "Mom & Grandma, Be My Valentine And Put My Heart Together", the same quotation that is a part of that childish-childlike Valentine.....
This gallery, this Ankrum Gallery, was a fantastic wonderful space to have a show in, because it actually had four rooms that were connected in a very open way. In the picture above, people are standing in the second of the four rooms and that painting I mentioned was hanging in the very last room of those four rooms..... Above, is the fabulously talented Ron Rifkin....Oh my, how young we all were....It was, after all, 33 years ago...! By the way, I also had put big HUGE Boxes of Chocolate Candy in big HUGE Beautiful Red Heart Boxes, all over the gallery, too....And people could and did eat the chocolates if and when they so desired..... Above, three-quarters of The Parks Family talking to Joan Ankrum, the owner of Ankrum Gallery.....Garrett Parks, just behind Joan, and Larry and Betty on the right. (That is Betty Garrett, of course...) Dear Dear Larry Parks, died exactly two months after this picture was taken....And below, another picture of Larry and Betty.....White Wine was always served at all the "openings" at the gallery...this show was no exception.....Below, a picture of another wall in the first room of the gallery of some of the many 'heart' paintings.... Part of the fun of having a show, for me, is the hanging of the show...In a way, one is creating another enormous painting when doing this hanging....I always hung all my shows, myself. I understood how all the paintings related to one another in a way that no one else possibly could....Another important touch that night was what I was wearing. I had found this long Denim Blue Dress in New York City about a year before at a wonderful little shop called Serendipity. I bought it and later painted the broken heart on the pocket that is on the left side of the dress, where the heart is in our bodies.... And above, the ever beautiful Lee Meriwether with her then 'boyfriend' Jim Gruzalski.....And below, a sweet shot of Lee and me, together....My friendship with Lee goes back to 1962, Theatre West. Lee has always been so supportive of my work....I think she has bought a painting out of every show I've ever had in Los Angeles....She actually bought two from this show.....And below, my dear dear late friend, Warren Berry....I so wish the painting he was standing in front of was clearer.... Warren and his brothers were great great dancers....Like the Nicholas Brothers...(In fact they were all good friends....). By the time I met Warren in 1954, he was not dancing anymore because of a terrible hip injury...But, he sang like a dream, and I met him at Vamp Studios....and we remained close friends until his death around 1996....
Below, the wonderful Brett Somers with a lovely actor named Sam Gilman....of course, they are both gone now, too, I am sorry to say....Below, are Carol & Dom DeLuise talking with Betty G......You can see a bit of the paintings behind them in this shot....These were very very colorful paintings.And below is another shot of Dom and Betty....with a couple of other paintings behind him.... You can see Carol DeLuise...nee, Carol Arthur, just behind Betty.....I have knowm Carol since the early 1950's.....probably longer than anyone else I know here in Los Angeles, because we met in 1952, at The Feagin School of Drama & Radio & Television. That's Mark Travis over in the right, above, and I believe he is talking to Hal Lynch...but I am not sure.....I included this picture because of the painting over there on the left....It is a combination of a real jigsaw puzzle---where I completely painted out the image, and then drew my own images and then used acrylic paint to paint my picture. There are puzzle pieces missing in that painting with just a hint of some 'light' coming through in the center..... Above is my dear dear friend and brilliant painter Morris Broderson, who I have written about quite extensively on this blog..... And, once again above,....me, and a very talented lovely painter named Dan Concholar. We are standing in the little inner office, just off room two, with Joan Ankrum and Bill Challee...You can see that there are more Valemtine's Day cards hanging above the double doors to the office.... This painting above...The Hearts were in shades of purple and lavender with the outside an off black....I say 'off black' because there were other colors mixed in with the black.....It kind of looks like an 'ink blot' test inside, doesn't it?.....lol. Above.....a little wider shot and a few people chccking out the paintings....I believe the man in silouette is my old friend John Erman....It sure looks like him, even in this picture.

So, this was how I spent Valentines Day, 1975.....I am so happy that I have a record (of sorts) of this special opening....And here below is one more picture. The Artist having a sip of white wine. One more thing: I also had music playing during the opening and every day my show was up, during the gallery hours....Many songs about love and the heart and lots of other music that moved me played, continually....So I leave you on this Valentines Day, all these years later, with this appropriate song.....The video is a tribute to Michelle Pfeiffer, but it's the song and her rendition of it that seems appropriate to me for this Valentines Day, 2008.....I had found a brilliant version of this song by the great Jazz trumpeter, Chet Baker, who also sang like a dream....But YouTube removed all of the Chet Baker videos for some inexplicable reason....Michelle Pfeiffer's version is pretty wonderful though. So enjoy.....



Wishing each and every one of you a very Happy Valentine's Day....


More To Come.......














59 Comments:
had this to say:

Happy Valentine's Day Naomi and I am so touched by your post about a Memorable Valentine's Day back in 1975.

I am so privileged and happy that you shared this special day in a very special way :D

So happy too that you have kept all these wonderful pictures of yesteryears of which I am indeed honoured right now to be able to experience it as if I was there.

In 1975, I was merely 11 years old and hardly know what Valentine's Day mean but now I know :D

Thank you for sharing Naomi and I wish you best of health and Happy Valentine's Day too....HUGS always!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 4:20:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

It seems indeed like a very memorable Valentine's Day. I remember seeing some of your hearts here, love them, even broken ones because that's just life... But it's amazing how brokenhearted you were at such an early age, children's souls are very delicate...
Enjoyed seeing all your pictures, they seem like fuzzy memories through the black and white...but you remember everything so well, even what you were drinking that evening. One can sense love and friendship in all those pic.
Happy Valentine's Day, my dear, I guess we all miss some parts of our hearts but the main thing is to believe in love, it's what makes the world go around... Cheers!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 5:44:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi, that little card is just heartbreaking. It's funny, we think of hearts and think of love but love can also mean pain and heartbreak, not just the wonderful stuff. I am rambling I know, it is late, I have had the worst Valentines Day of my life, we lost our cat Charlie yesterday, we had him put to sleep, it was the only thing to do and so you see, I am heartbroken too at the moment. I know you are a 'cat person' too, so you will understand.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 7:04:00 AM PST 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Happy Valentine's Day Naomi! What a great post. I recognized every actor there. Love the artwork too. I like how you brought a childhood hurt forward into something beautiful.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 7:36:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Girlfriend, don't you think it's time to start that book that needs to be written?? I just love getting lost in your stories! You've had such an accomplished life. I would love to own a piece of your artwork. You're amazing!

Oh, and by the way, my blog will be getting some changes really soon to hopefully keep it from locking up on you and a few other people so I'll let you know when it's fixed.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 8:44:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi, what a gorgeous post. I loved every single one of the photos and the stories behind them. That childhood Valentine just breaks my heart! You are such a fascinating, amazing individual. Every time you post, you inspire the writer side of my heart. Happy Valentine's Day, dear!! I hope you can share it with friends there, but if not, know that we love you very much here!!

Girl About Town... I'm terribly sorry about your cat. Terribly, terribly sorry. I've made that decision before, and it's a devastating one, even if intellectually you know it's the right one. It doesn't matter how long we're together... it's never long enough.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 8:56:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Happy Valentine's Day Naomi and thank you for such a wonderful - in a way - heartbreaking post.
'This is what is so wonderful about Art, wether it is Music or Writing, or Painting....you can turn your worst experiences and trama's into 'art' and when you do, what you often find out is that those feelings are pretty much universal....!'

YOU can do it because you are very gifted and talented and can tap into people's feelings and emotions. Did your father ever see your Valentine. It would have melted a heart of stone.
I'm proud to know you.xoxox

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 9:01:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

It's so wonderful that you have mementos from such a fond memory. Even though the basis came from unpleasant experiences, you prove that perseverance, indeed, has its own reward.

Thanks for the glimpses into a world most of us just read about in the newspaper :-)

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 9:31:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

These pictures must be part of the treasure you discovered while cleaning because they are TRULY AMAZING PHOTOS of a wonderful time in your life. Wow! What a treat! I can't even find my picture albums from the 80s! You managed to capture these moments to share with us 30+ years later and I thank you for that.

I wish you many more happy Valentine's Days with more photos and fun!

Cheers and much love,
Scarlet

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 1:47:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a marvelous post!
Your childhood valentine broke my heart... no pun intended. You suffered so much pain for such a young person. It's a wonder you managed to make it into adulthood with some sanity. You DO have SOME sanity, right??!!
:-)
What a great show that was! I love the heart/love theme, and all the touches you added to it. I especially like that you served chocolates!!!!
It was neat to see photos of several well known actors, and see them years ago in a non-acting setting. Your handpainted denim dress was perfect for the event, and you looked lovely.
Thanks for posting such a HEARTwarming Valentine's post.

Happy Valentine's Day to you, Sweetie, and to all those you hold dear!!!!
Lots of LOVE from Jamie Dawn, your blog buddy!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 2:16:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

My oh My, what a post!

You are such a talented lady that I don't think we've begun to see all that you are.

Did you ever have any more shows after that one? Beautiful paintings, beautiful pictures, beautiful lady.

I often thought the photo of you playing pool (on your blog profile) was just a pix of someone else (not you). After viewing your photos, I can see that it IS you!

And what circles you hobnobbed in! Is there anyone you still keep in touch with besides Lee Meriweather?

And boy, you must have a HUGE memory box!! (inside joke to Naomi)

Thanks for sharing these wonderful paintings, photos and memories. Anne

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 2:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for sharing your memory. I remember many of the faces in the photos. I hope that your day today has been a nice one! Happy valentine's Day! :)

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 3:34:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi, I can't imagine how horrible it must have been to have your heart broken so young.

These paintings are wonderful and it is great that you have these pictures and the wonderful memories of that show. Thank you for sharing these with us!

I hope your Valentine's Day today is wonderful for you and dear Sweetie!! :)

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 3:51:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

OF course I couldn't let this day go by without popping by to wish you a very HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY....and boy, am I ever glad I did!
I enjoyed this post SO much, Naomi!
That valentine you did as a child was heartwrenching...you're right, the few words and picture said it all.
I think it's SO ironic that you should do a post today about your art! "I" had my first pen and ink class this morning at the Arts Center and just LOVED it! (details to follow soon on my blog)
I loved your work of the colored heart...and I learned about "shadowing" today and can see you did an excellent job. I love how you did the juxtaposition with the cards and your broken hearts.
And Ron Rifkin. Wow...I watch him every Sun. night on Brothers & Sisters.
What a great shot of Larry and Betty...such a handsome couple.
Thanks SO much for sharing all this with us....I almost felt like I was there with you, wandering around the gallery enjoying your incredible art. And the song was just perfect for today!
Best to you, Naomi...
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 5:01:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That little card is so sad! It's so true, that people can take their trauma and turn it into beautiful art. You've obviously been recognized for your talents, but beyond that, you are a wonderful person who is very much loved by so many people.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 5:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I have to say it makes my day when I pop in and you have done one of these types of posts.
I love the pictures and the memories.
Your original Valentines is indeed heartbreaking,how did your mother react to it ?
Wow how young does Ron look ! Well all of you for that matter.Dom as well hehe.
I wish I could have seen the display in person but I had just turned 11 and would have been that "annoying little kid" that no show is complete without lol
Happy Belated Valentines Day dear Aunty Em. I hope the glue of the years has worked on your heart dear one !

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 6:06:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! You're such a transparent person. Today there are many broken hearts at that age too. Thank you for sharing.

Here's wishing you a day of roses, chocolates, teddy bears (?), ice-creams...love still makes the world go round!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 6:30:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What an awesome post. How wonderful that you took your sadness and pain and made beauty from it. I hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day today!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 7:46:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I just left the wrong blog url in the post above...lol! Oops. So I'm leaving the correct one now. ;)

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 7:47:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Valentine's Day, Naomi. It's wonderful that you were able to work your way through your childhood memories in that fashion. Too many people can't seem to do that.

I couldn't hear that video--maybe it's being requested too much today. I'll have to try it again in a few days.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 8:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Valentine's Day!

Thanks for sharing your pix and stories!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 9:34:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wonderful post Naomi. That showing of your art must have been very cathartic and the culmination of a long long process of working through those 'broken heart' emotions that were rooted in your childhood.

I love the juxtaposition of the valentines cards placed around your pieces of carefully hung art. It's like the meeting of oil and water in a way. Valentines cards cna be syrupy sweet and sentimental and this just serves to underline the true emotion conveyed in your work.

It looks like it was agreat opening and I am happy that you had so many dear friends there to support you. A very memorable Valentines indeed.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 12:37:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi, it was such a pkleasure to go through your post..er..your memories. I liked the pictures of you, your friends, your painting and of course your essay. Your reminiscences took me on a visit with you.

I always love the way you reflect about your life and your friends.

I am very glad Michele sent me your way.

HUGS!

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 2:28:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi is pretty
Naomi is smart
Naomi is a star
In the world of Art

(but what else would one expect of a "Normandy Girl?")

Happy Valentine's Day!!!!

The Fat Lady

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 2:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow.. wow...wow!! you have so many pictures of your life it's amazing!!! And what a great idea to show this particular group of pictures for Valentines Day!!

Ahhh, were we that young again!

Hope you had a great Valentines Day Naomi... you made everyone else's special with these great pictures and story!

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 5:30:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, thank you for the visit and the nice comments. I AM going to take it easy for the next 3 days. We are going to the health club today so I can sit in the hot tub and swim, and I am getting a hot stone massage tomorrow. I can't wait!

As to your post: it is horrible to contemplate how the troubles we encounter in our childhoods, especially with our parents, can live on and shape every day of our lives. While reading this, I was reminded that 4 of my grandchildren have parents who split and I cannot help but wonder how it will affect them all their lives. I know that it will in some way.

I hope that you were able, through your art, to finally overcome the sadness that you felt. A little girl with a broken heart is the saddest thing I could ever think of. You really should write a book.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 6:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You have written many moving posts that are tributes to friends both old and new, but this one was a tribute to yourself, Naomi. Your first "Valintine" is truly from the heart.... and you have expanded on the theme in your art show all those years ago. It's called "wearing your heart on your sleeve"! Lovely post.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 6:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The most exciting life in the blog world! I never know what treasures I will find over here. This has to be one of my personal favorite posts. One it shows so much of you, the little Valentine just broke my heart. You made us feel some of your brokeness. Then your work...omg. You are just so talented. Then I just love galleries, I find real ones to be one of the most glamorous things in the world and there you are...in a real gallery with beautiful work and celebrity friends! This was just so cool to be a part of. You are something else.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 8:12:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That was really interesting. You really showed how art comes from the soul and it can be used to heal but also express emotions. Sounds like a great show to have seen. I also like to hear music with a showing and feel it adds so much when it's chosen to accent the music. The YouTube was a good addition. She is a great singer, have heard her before, and how neat to see all those still shots with her. Very photogenic woman

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 8:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You share yourself with us in such an open and giving way - you are so special - happy days not just valentine's but every day for you Naomi. Love across the miles

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 10:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hope your Valentine's Day was awesome...I loved this post - and to see all the people who have been in your life...what a great day that must have been for you!!!!

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 11:36:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I have been on the go all week and missed visiting you on Valentine's Day cos I was visiting proper with Bobkat.

But I am so glad Michele sent me to see your Valentine's post with all your wonderful friends and memories.

Coincidentally, you made that Valentine card when you were 9, and I was 9 in 1975 when you held this Valentine show......
I was a very unhappy 9yr old too, desperate to have a proper family and missing my dad terribly.

cq

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 12:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I am so glad I found your blog - I didn't know you were an artist too! The arts all go together don't they? I love the art, the 70's (I was a teenager) the clothes, the actors you knew - loved them all - especially Betty and Dom. I was just thinking about the Bob Newhart show the other day too! Thanks for such heartwarming memories. Diane

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 1:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Valentine's Day, Naomi (belated).

Love this post with your work when you was a child. Very touching! Love your works, too. Thanks for sharing your lovely memories and great photos!

Many hugs!

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 1:43:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Valentine's day to you to. One question Naomi, Did your heart ever mend?

You surprise me often Naomi, about how talented you are. I just love reading your blogs. BTW: Michelle Pfeiffer is a beautiful woman with a good voice. I do love that song.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 4:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh, what a fun event that must have been! It was fun seeing old photos of Betty and Dom too. And you! Look at you! :)

One of my favorite songs, too... I'm partial to Eydie Gorme's rendition.
~S

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 4:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

(Michele sent me!)
~S

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 4:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a bittersweet post Naomi. While reading and enjoying the pictures you sharing, i kept thinking about how wonderfully therapeutic art (oh and white wine too) is. The very process of creating it such an outlet for all of our stored emotions and traumas.

I love the fact that you found the exact right outfit for your opening.

You are lovely and beautiful, then and now.....

enjoy your weekend.

dana

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 4:33:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Deana showed me your post--what a nice slice of art and class and talent and the high life. Good for you. With a big tip of the hat--Martin Clark (Toonces)

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 5:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You never cease to amaze me, Naomi. Fascinating! That's all I can say.

Michele sent me over,

Mike

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 5:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

How fabulous to have so many pics of the show. Too bad, as you say, that people didn't take ones of the art as well as the guest.

Hope your art is still being loved in all the spaces and places it scattered to in the intervening decades.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 7:18:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a great post for Valentine's Day. The show is one I would have LOVED. I used to draw hearts that were broken as a girl, but was not as aware as you about why. And this reminds me of Yoko Ono breaking a cup when she and John co-hosted Mike Douglas show and gluing it back together piece by piece each day.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 8:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi. I can feel the pain you've gone through. Not that I've been there but your heart shows very vividly the picture of how you felt. It is amazing how our drawings, sketches and whatever else we do show our inner feelings. But I'm pretty sure it has brought the inner best of you. You seem to be a great woman with a good and big heart.
Happy Valentine to you.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 9:54:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Just wanted to let you know I linked to you in todays post :)
BTW we are watching The Majestic as I type and just showed Mark the picture of Ron way back when LOL

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 11:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I think it's amazing that the valentine you made as a troubled 9-year-old inspired all of that great work. I'm glad you had all of these pictures. What a great way to spend Valentine's Day. Speaking of that, will you ever share stories about the loves of your life? I notice you've never made a peep about that.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 12:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Michele sent me over this time, Naomi.

The picture you have captioned "You can see me and a man" is quite beguiling. You remind me a lot of Marsha Mason in that picture. That must have been around the time she was doing Goodbye Girl. The painting you have above, of the broken heart, is quite affecting. While I can certainly see the common ground with your childhood artwork, it's greater maturity creates a much more intense affect on me. I might see things the other way round if I had kids however.

BTW, I was able to load the video today so it must have just been an understandable overload of requests on Valentine's Day that prevented it from loading the other day.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 1:42:00 AM PST 

Blogger Bud
had this to say:

Naomi, Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories. Finally saw an up close pic of you--you ARE very pretty. And thanks for your kind comments to me--it means a lot.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 2:23:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a fantastic post. The way you draw us in from the first picture and your own story...And then the show and folk who attended.

And the dress with the heart - I know the NY Serendipity restaurant around 3rd and 60th - I wonder if its the same place? It still sells some things as well as being a restaurant?

Great to see your show and it must be fun to wonder where the hearts have moved to around LA and beyond.

Oh and Michele sent me today to wish you Valentine Greetings!

rashbre

Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 4:10:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

RE: the video

I had two "funny valentines" who broke my heart; then I found a prince who could laugh at funny and appreciate me. My advice to all who are living in a minor key:

Have faith in your dreams and someday, the dream you wish will come true.
No matter how your heart is greiving, if you keep on believing, the dream you wish will come true.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 11:04:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That looks like a memorable show indeed. I love the topic you chose for your art. It's definitely something that everyone can relate to. I chose to ignore Valentine's day this year as I most most every year. I just can't relate to that holiday at all. But going to your show would have been a special way to spend that day. I enjoyed reading all about it.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 11:22:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I had my heart broken by two funny "Valentines", and then I met my prince, who knew how to laugh at funny and appreciate me.

My song became "Have faith in your dreams and one day, the dream you wish will come true; no matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true"

That's from a Disney animated flick, but to everyone out there, give it a try!

Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 12:06:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

what a wonderful post, I am so glad I visited today.
have a beautiful weekend.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 1:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a fascinating life you have led.....

Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 3:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Congratulatuions to Sweetie, Naomi! I saw the adorable Sweetie on Deana's blog! Many hugs!

Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 5:48:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi Dear,
Your post was out-of-this-world! Sorry I'm late with my Valentine's Day comments. My hands and fingers aren't listening to me.

In any case, your story brought tears to these old eyes. And that's not easy! I'm so grateful that GD gave you the wonderful things in your life---A balance of joy and sorrow that makes up our existence.

Your posts are a integral part of my life today---you help me keep keeping on! I know that's true for many people. So GD bless and keep you and so GD bless you. Shavouah Tov.
Much love,
lucy

Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 5:55:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wow. Isn't life funny? From childhood to 76 and beyond, so much intertwines--artists expose the deep connection of it all. Thank you so much for sharing this. In 1975 my heart was broken and still there is a scar.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 8:55:00 PM PST 

Blogger J C
had this to say:

Wow what fun to have a heart show on Valentine Day. Wish someone would do that around here. Hmmmmm, maybe next year. Fine pictures Naomi. Thanks for sharing. And check out those bell bottoms! I loved them!

Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 3:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What an interesting life you've had! Thank you for sharing it with me. This must rank as a high point!!! I really enjoyed this wonderful memory.

Monday, February 18, 2008 at 5:01:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The childhood Valentine is so sad!

Thanks for pointing me towards Deana's pet contest & tell Sweetie that I said congratulations :)

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 8:20:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.