Monday, January 28, 2008
more rain clouds

This particular day was filled with the most GORGEOUS sky's....Cloud formations that kept changing by the minute---well, by the second, really....And I didn't know where to look and click first.....So, I just pointed and clicked all over the place.....! This picture above makes my deck look much bigger than it is....the distortion of the lens....But, it does give you a little bit of an idea of the Panoramic view I see....and this is just one third of that view---the view looking mostly to the East, and downtown....You can't really tell how amazing the sky was that day from this picture, but....you can see a lot more in these next pictures.... Above is another third of the Panorama....this one looking West, towards The Pacific Ocean....and my beloved trees in the distance...! Those little buildings in the distance are the big buildings of Century City....Do you know why they call it Century City? It's because that huge piece of prime property on which these buildings are built was part of the 'back-lot' of Twentieth Century Fox Movie Studio. My very first job in films----I was an extra. It was in a Paramount film shot on 'location' at Twentieth's Train Station/Small Town on their back-lot. Just about where those buildings are right now. (It would be many many years before I was in front of the cameras again....and then, I would actually have some lines to speak.....)

I was in my first and only semester at USC and they needed students for this picture with Bing Crosby and Nancy Olson called "Mr. Music". And there we all were.....including Robert Stack who was in the cast of this film, too.....It was a very exciting thing for me....Not only an extra in a film, but, a Bing Crosby film on the back-lot at 2oth, at that! Because we were "on location" they had to feed us, too. I remember thinking at the time that this was a feast an incredible feast! In the Hot dishes alone, you had three choices, Roast Beef, Chicken, and Fish, and all the fixings, too! These were two of the best meals I had had in months, at that time....!
Here above.....a little closer to those buildings on another rainy day....And then, below.....a closer look yet again.....And below, a closer yet again...Here is Century City as it pretty much looks today....I didn't take this picture...... It amazing to me that back almost 60 (count them) 60 years ago I walked all over this piece of land during the lunch break, wandering around looking at ALL the sets that had been built for pictures I knew so well....."Pinky", a Southern Plantation Mansion.... "A Bell For Adono", a war torn Italian Village during WW2....just to name two.....And of course that little town with the train station, including a train.....! The Magic Of The Movies, back in the day.....
And here below is another cloud picture that really knocked me out..... This ominous darkness hanging over the city, with a range of many colors...magical! I will post some more of these, the next time....but just to tease you a little bit, here is one more of my beloved trees.... Yes, indeed, there certainly will be.....


More To Come......
Note: Just a word about The Screen Actors Guild Awards.....I was very very happy that The Sopranos came away with the three top Awards--James Galdofini and Edie Falco walking away with the Top Acting Honors, and the show taking home the Best Ensemble in a Drama Award....a fitting 'goodbye' to one of the greatest television series, ever.....And, I was also very very happy that Julie Christie won the Award for Best Lead Actress in a film.....A Beautiful performance.....Again, most well deserved....!













26 Comments:
had this to say:

Naomi...what beautiful pictures, and what a gorgeous deck you have!! I was straining to see those pretty scrolly deck chairs you have, they look just divine!! Maybe you can share a pic of these with us..??

How amazing that you can not only look down on that view, but look out over your past as well. Amazing!

As always, thanks for sharing. :)

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 2:47:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I love those unique moments offered by Mother Nature!!! gorgeous shots as always. Hi from the deep South, how lovely of you to point out we were looking at the same ocean! I loved it :)

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 6:11:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi:
Whenever I stop by, I am never disappointed. Your pictures are always uplifting and absolutely beautiful.

If I had the views that you have, I'd be on the deck 24/7. Gorgeous cloud formations.

I am a history fan and just wallow in your stories about the old days, the back lots, your experiences. Just wonderful.

Thanks for posting and brightening up my day,
Love, Anne

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 7:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

awesome sky photos and an interesting story about your experiences in Hollywood.

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 9:40:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I just love it when you share Hollywood stories. Movies are magical to me!

By the way, I *did* get into the screenwriting class that Tom Skerritt teaches. Writing to you must have been good luck!

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 10:32:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

a visit to your blog is just as good as visiting l.a....almost. in fact, it's better. what are those trees, anyway? any eucalyptus? i took a eucalyptus seed pod home from san francisco. lost it. loved those trees. love trees in general. thanks for sharing your riches!!

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 12:42:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

hehehe - I have read biographies of stars where they talk about being extras and eating well for a couple of days while working for pennies....
But really - THREE choices of hot meal alone? You must have been stuffed :-)

cq

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 1:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi,

You can fill albums with those cloud pics! I love all the different colors and shapes that decorate your western skies.

Thanks for introducing us to Century City. How exciting it must've been to be a part of all the action in Hollywood...the passion, the drama, the cast (Bing Crosby, wow!), the songs, the stories, the costumes...the LOT. I'll bet there was never a dull moment.

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 2:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I definitely want to trade some snow with you!

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 5:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I so love seeing your view and your deck looks like a wonderful place to spend time. I love hearing your stories from back in the day. I did wonder what you thought about the SAG awards. You must come see the new addition at our house!

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 9:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

winters in california sure produce some amazing clouds and you've captured them beautifully!

i always enjoy your photos and memories.

mck.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 4:57:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Your own private Look-Out. I'm glad you said the photo made your deck look bigger than it really is because I was shocked and thought I was somewhere else for a minute. No matter where we live and what our view, we all share the same sky and can't clutter that up too much, thankfully.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 8:09:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I think that is great that Sopranos won too! They were all deserving. I will really miss that show. You guys really are getting the rain aren't you? It must be nice to have such a great deck view!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 8:31:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a view you have Naomi. I would be sitting out on your back porch, reading a book, everyday.

Nowadays they go on "location" to do their pictures. I bet those sets took up a lot of prime land. I loved Bing Crosby, he was so good with Danny Kaye. I also loved him in the road pictures with Bob Hope. Those were the days!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 9:50:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love reading about things that you've done and how you remember them!

That tree line is gorgeous!

Hey, when you get a minute - come by my place. You can meet the soon-to-be new addition!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 12:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh, I loved hearing about Century City. I didn't know its history. :)

That last photo is my favorite.
~S

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 12:28:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Heh it always makes me laugh when the most memorable part of the day is what craft services has to offer ( not that I would know ;) ) Three choices of hot meal you must have been beside yourself.
Great pics as always, I want to eat tuna and sit on your deck again lol.
BTW I posted some cute wildlife pics today inspired by you and your raccoon/coyote/birds etc

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 1:58:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh Dear,
you are a story teller out of this world. The combination of the most important: Water (then Bees in other posts), the ability to entertain comined with your histories and photos: Yeah, you deserve an Award yourself.

PS. Agree when talking about Julie Christie - I've liked her perfermances since the 60'ies.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 2:11:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Stunning photos! What a view you have.
I bet walking around those sets was so neat.
And thanks for the update on the awards. I didn't know who won and like you, I'm very happy with the winners.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 2:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

many times your photo's make me really miss living in CA. :o(

Today's one of those days I guess, dunno why it's not like they are pictures of "the valley" where I lived.. beautiful shots as always!!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 3:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! Sometimes photos do look exceptional and somewhat deceptive.

Wow! Thank you for posting those wonderful pictures of rain clouds and the sun and, your reminisces. Indeed a day of hope!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 4:42:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Boy howdy, what a lovely view you've got there. Neat, and it goes with fine memories. Way to be.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 4:43:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wow! Your deck looks wonderful, Naomi! You are really fortunate to live in such a beautiful place and have those stunning view! Gorgeous pictures as always!

Many hugs!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 6:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love your pictures and I always love your reflective stories. Big sky photos always intrigue me, especially on a day when they are ever changing.

Wonderful news about Julie Christie. The movie, Away From Her, is an excellent one. Gordon Pinsent who played her husband is a well revered actor in Canada. He chose to stay here to ply his gifts and we are grateful, but I do believe he would've been an international star had he moved to Hollywood. And Sarah Polley, the young director is brilliant. She played the lead role when she was young in a TV show called Road to Avonlea based on Lucy Maude Montgomery's books (she also wrote Anne of Green Gables). We have much to look forward to from Polley. She's a gem.

btw....I saw Juno this week. Loved it completely.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 1:35:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Yay for the Sopranos and for Julie!

Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 8:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Those pictures are magnificent, especially the ones from your deck!

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 11:12:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.