Friday, February 01, 2008
this and that

February 1st is an Anniversary for me. It was exactly 47 years ago today, that I moved from New York to Los Angeles. I had no idea that I would actually make this my permanent home the day I got on that plane, but home it became and home it still is....! So many adventures were ahead of me, but on that day, I just had this tiny ray of hope that somehow I would make it to the next day and the one after that, and so on......I was having what some would call a 'nervous breakdown'....but in truth, and in restrospect, I was having a life breakthrough of epoch proportions....it was, in all of it's anxiety and pain, the best thing that could have happened to me....! Sometimes one must break apart to be truly 'together'.....I have written a bit about this before so I won't rehash the same material, but I can never let this day go by without acknowledging how important it is to me....Many wonderful things had happened in my life before Los Angeles. My last post about VAMP Studios and "IF" and Buster and Nat and Cammi and Sid and Sy were all part of some of those very wondeful and terrifying days...But, something happened where I felt that I had come up against a brick wall. I felt I had 'no life', no true direction, one might say. I felt lost in a really big big way, and something had to change or I felt I would just rot away in the rut that I was in and then would die....So I flew 3,000 miles away to what I hoped was salvation. And it was, and it was so much more, too, in every way.
Now, Moving on.....


I want to tell you about three people I know. One a very old friend, Mark, and one a very new friend, Butchie, have both literally just started their blogs. One started last night, and the other started two days ago! And then there is the third person, my sweet friend, Trish, who started her blog about seven months ago....I'd like to encourage you to visit each of them. All three are amazingly creative people, in so very many different ways. They are inspiting people!

First, let me talk about Trish, an old friend of mine who began her blog right after she was diagnosd with cancer. Dear Trish is a wonderful actress and a brilliant writer, too....She is incredibly funny and goes right to the heart of things---no mincing words at all.....One of the amazing things about Trish is her ability to make me laugh out loud and touch me deeply, all in one post. And this happens in just about every post she writes! And though the name of her blog is I SLEPT WITH ROBERT DE NIRO...BUT ABOUT MY CANCER, (a provocative name and deliberately so....) I have her listed over on the right----there in my sidebar---as Trish, cause that's her name. You might want to start at the beginning---Believe me, every post is a gem!

Then there is my very 'new' friend, Butchie O..... He already had a place on My Space, but started his blog, I think, because I inspired him. Butchie found me through the Internet and the connection here was that record I wrote about in my last post, "IF".....Butchie has his own radio show and he features mostly Blues and the whole Doo-Op period of music....He plays the Harmonica fabulously and you can hear some of his playing when you go to his My Space space....His first post on his new blog which is called: BLUES: LEANIN' INTO THE HAILSTORM (He is on my sidebar under 'Butchie'...) is all about the beginning of the blues, one of his great great loves.....I think you will find it and him, very very interesting....

And last but not least, is Mark. You have heard about Mark from me before. He was my savior when I had to somehow take the Written Driving Test and get the picture taken and the finger print, printed, and I was absolutely stymied as to how I could make this happen, given my Health Issues. Well, dear Mark made it happen! But helping me with this problem is not his life's work....His life's work is Directing for the Theatre and for Films. He has written three books on Directing and he teaches all over the world...He is also a wonderful writer and is married to the dear dear Dianne, who has been at every "Ladies Who Lunch", this past year, so you have seen her picture many times on my blog.....Mark is smart as a whip and so incredibly knowledgeable, and such a fantastically talented Director....do go visit him at his blog: BOYDON ROAD, (He is on my sidebar under 'Mark') and welcome him to our warm and loving Blog Family. And in fact, welcome all three to this dear Blog Family we have created....you won't be sorry, I promise you!





More To Come......



Note: The painting of The Hollywood sign, backwards, is by the wonderfully talented Ed Ruscha, "The Back Of Hollywood", 1977, Oil On Canvas, 22 X80.










43 Comments:
had this to say:

What a nice post, inviting us to visit your new blogging friends. I'll certainly pay them a visit. When you start blogging, it's so gratifying to get comments, and realise that people, usually complete strangers, are reading what you have written and are actually interested in what you have to say!

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 7:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

OK Naomi, I will go check them out.

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 8:23:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Of course I'll check your links to your friends!

Always learning about the days of your life and the friends you share them with... so wonderful!

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 10:43:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I VISITED TRISH, BUTCHIE AND MARK
and will be visiting them often.
They are all very interesting in their individual elements and I enjoyed tuning in to their blogs a great deal.

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 11:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Dearest Naomi...I have not forgotten you...I am trying to catch up.
In the meantime, I borrowed Sweetie for my blog...
Love Terry

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 11:25:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Just wanted to say I was able to take some time to catch up on your blog a bit, and LOVED the entry about your record~
also the beautiful photos of your view!

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 1:09:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

My Gosh, Naomi, I swear I could spend hours reading Trish's blog!!

She's so funny - my hubby wants to know what I am laughing at. LOL

Thank you for sharing,
Anne

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 1:54:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I adore reading your posts, but I've been shy about commenting lately.
As always, you've shared a facinating slice of your life. What a scary thing to move across the country, but I think everyone needs to do that at least once. I lived in Philadelphia for five years and it was amazing.
Thanks for putting so much effort in to your blog- it is a lot of work with all of the photographs and images.

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 2:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It was obviously a great move for you.
I have to say, I LOVE California and I just get this special feeling as soon as I step over the border. I miss living there.


What interesting people, I'll have to check them out.

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 2:54:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'll be off to visit your links in after posting this comment!

Sometimes it is nice to step outside the square, as you did 47 years ago. What a brave and bold move which certainly did pay off for you. SOmetimes it is good to do things like that - as we did when we moved from Melb to Cairns (probably the same distance between NY and LA)

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 3:15:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

But Aunty Em now I will never ever get off the computer, you just gave me three more blogs to read ACH lol.
I really do have to update with Zoo pictures, Shephard is going to love a couple of them, we were there when they put 4 week old baby meerkats out in public for the first time so cute !

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 5:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Any friend of Naomi's. . .

Oh my, truthfully? To be invited to share little bits of your life, and now little bits of your friends' lives, is almost too much for my sensibilities.

I'm honored to visit them.

And, I just absolutely LOVE you.

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 9:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for the introductions, Naomi, I will check them out now.

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 9:32:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That's so cool that you were starting your new life the same year I was starting, well, my life. I've been busy and missed your last post but it was fascinating and I really loved the pictures. Thanks for sharing that with us. I will check out these bloggers, because you seem to know what you're talkng about.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 12:19:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Congratulations on your very special anniversary!

I find it so inspiring that you moved to LA like that. I think sometimes you just have to go with your heart no matter how scary it might be.

I have visited the other blogs you listed, they are amazing!!! I love blues, I love film, and what a great writer your friend Trish is - so looks like I'm hooked on all three counts! Thank you for sharing these great links with us all.

PS: I am glad you enjoyed the pics of our almond tree. I think they exist in Europe also, but don't knwo about the states?? The lorikees, sadly, are done with our tree for the summer, so I didn't get to film them at all. They were here for just under a week, they have probably found some new trees to visit! Ah well, there's always next year.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 12:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It's god to shake things up a bit sometimes and sometimes it is necessary! How wonderful that things turned out so well for you in LA, though it must have seemed very daunting back when you got on that plane. I understand what you say about feeling lost and being in a rut.

I will go and check out your friends' blogs, but it'll have to be on my list of things to do. My life is not my own at present so I still moments when I can. I will always find time at some point to come here though and send hugs to you and Sweetie.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 2:04:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! Wow. 47 years ago...moving on to new life and here you are as lively and interesting and exciting...enjoyed your wonderful post. I dropped by your friends' home. Thank you.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 5:57:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Belated Happy Anniversary. A good thing you moved to LA, another and even better is that you share so much interesting from your place and in a nice, readable and personal style.

You really have a great blog family too.

Wishing you a wonderful end to your week :-)

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 6:01:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You have such an interesting life, Naomi. I love reading the bits and pieces of it.

Kendra

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 6:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You're so nice to spot light for friends this way. I will check them out. Trish has one of the best Blog titles I've heard!

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 6:56:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I spent yesterday, when I should have been working -- don't tell my boss, reading Trish's blog, start to finish. (I'm really rooting for her and Cedric!) Thanks so much for the introduction!

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 8:41:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That is a lovely post about your friends! I can't wait to check out their blogs.
Michele sent me

Leslie

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 9:37:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi- thanks for the tip on those blogs. Trish has some fun stuff there!

I am always fascinated by the things you share.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 9:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for the visit, Naomi. I dod indeed use boxes, but I always have some waiting in the wings! I think I will be posting some of my favorite boxes in the near future.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 10:03:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Just spent time on your blog and it's wonderful and amazing - what a wonderful and interesting life you have! I always think it's interesting that music and art talent (and writing)go hand in hand.I do all three as well. Diane

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 10:59:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, thank you for showing us the way to see Mark, Butchie and Trish :-)

I visited them all and left a nice comment. I think I'll be going back to them soon :-)

Michele sent me this way, but I'm always around here one way or another....

cq

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 12:35:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

More people to track down. Gack -- that will get me close to 100.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 2:58:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'll go in and visit your friends too! Happy Anniversary! I know all about crisis and the power to change. Every crisis is an opportunity for growth so I loved your moving story and I am happy you love your hills§

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 3:06:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Amazing how you flew 3,000 miles and there you are still! I'm glad you found the perfect place and it has turned out so well with all your adventures and friends you have made along the way. Such a fascinating life dear Naomi!

I will certainly go check out your blog friends! Blog friends are truly wonderful!!

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 5:22:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You make places and people come alive for me. I will visit your friends. It is good to read your posts.

Long time Michele sent me hare.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 7:14:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

A Happy Anniversary to you, Naomi. Sounds like you certainly followed the right path in flying west.
And what a nice intro to all 3 new bloggers. I will definitely pay them a visit.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 7:04:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Me again, Naomi....I did go visit those 3 blogs and especially loved reading Trish's. HOWever....I can't leave any comments because of that damn blogger thing again with Google insisting I have an acct. Which I refuse to do! And she's not open for Anonymous comments on her blog. Pouting here......
Terri

Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 7:27:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Oh Naomi! What a brave step all those years ago - and to do it alone. That takes great courage and I'm so happy it was the right thing to do.
I'm glad you have put the three friends on your side bar. I do remember Mark. I'll go and say hello.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 8:16:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Greetings via Michelle.

Of course, you forgot that on the same date years ago my mother was in labor in St. Louis.

And you didn't wave when you flew over.

Tsk, tsk.

I'm off to see your recommendations.

Cheers.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 3:13:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I plan to visit each and every one. I do so relate to your comments about coming apart before you can come together. For me it was yielding to a move to Texas during my first marriage, which I didn't want to do. I think that opening myself to it anyways also opened the way for more growth and the rest of the steps that have led me to Joe and the rest.

I left you some a generator comment on Loose Leaf, which you may want to read since you are researching them.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 4:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thank you Naomi for introducing all your dear friends to us, truly appreciate it.

Been to NY & Los Angeles and I can see why you chose LA....it is less hectic than NY ya :D

Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 5:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Trish sounds interesting. Actually they all do and I will pop in to all their blogs at some point, but for some reason your description of Trish makes her a must read, maybe even from the beginning, as you say. Thanks for sharing, Naomi.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 8:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy NY to LA Anniversary!!
Your life really did take a major turn with that move, and I am so glad you had the courage to do it.
Thanks for introducing us to some new bloggers.
I will go by and say hello.
Trish sounds like a riot!!
We are having warm weather here. Today was warm and tomorrow is supposed to be 73 degrees. Courtney calls our weather Bi Polar Weather.
It's crazy!! One day we are warm and the next we are freezing our bohunkuses off!!
I'm hoping for a mild month, then it will be time for spring to be sprung.
:-)

Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 10:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Okaaaaaaaaay.... but you know... if I go blog hopping, I'm liable not to make it back here for an eternity! So... perhaps I should finish up here first... and then go check out the friends. Right?

Monday, February 4, 2008 at 9:46:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

A great introduction, Naomi.I'll definitely check them out.

~S

Monday, February 4, 2008 at 9:49:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Great post, I will go check out your new friends for sure!...Nice photos btw...lovely skys..
Here in Montreal, we have had 3 metres (aprox 3 yards) of snowfall this winter so far lol.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 at 4:43:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Please give Mark Travis my best wishes on his new blogdeavour! His site does not accept comments from non-members, even if they provide their address. I look forward to much interesting reading there, but I'll have to keep a smile on my face, and my big wordprocessor shut.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 at 8:43:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Dear lady,
I found your blog from Googles. I got attracted to the word lady and I clicked on it.

I found your photos amazing and your blog leads to other friends...

I have not been to the US...so I found your photos really wonderful...

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 9:20:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.