Friday, May 25, 2007
betty's birthday, 2007-part 1

Our "Ladies Who Lunch" for Betty Garrett's 88th Birthday was such a lovely sweet afternoon, in every way, in truth, it couldn't have been better. This card above was made for Betty by her Cousin Carol, who came down from San Jose to join us for lunch, and to see the play that Betty is in right now! Yes, my dears, Betty is 88 years oold and still working....Why? Because she loves it! And here is the Birthday Girl, herself.....no make up...just herself! Full of life and fun and happy to be here.....Here below is the table, all set and ready for the eight of us ladies of a certain age..... And a 'closer look' at the very beautiful Orchid that graced the table while we ate our lunch, in the picture below.....And then, below, the very rich dense Chocolate-On-Choclate Birthday Cake just ready and waiting for our dear friend.... Betty and Bridget Hanley and Cousin Carol all arrived together, coming in one car...Bridget having picked up Betty and Carol at Betty's house....the dear Kim Hamilton was already here by the time those three got here..... In that picture above is Cousin Carol and Kim....And below, we see the lovely Dianne Travis with Bridget H., Dianne arriving a tiny bit later having been delayed by going on an interview for an acting job....Life goes on even though there is a Birthday Lunch! (lol) And I don't remember what I said but, here below, the five of these lady's looked over at the Living Room glass table..... Ahhhhh yes. It was about the lovely flowers there on the table....Betty came over to take a better look at them....Because of her Macular Degeneration, she has to get pretty close to certain things to be able to see them...... There were still two of our little group who were not there yet....So, we all sat and chatted and laughed and scratched for a bit..... Because of the heavy-duty glare from my windows, which is worse when it is a somewhat overcast day---which it was on Thursday, Betty had to put on her dark glasses---again, the Macular----She had not worn her cap with a visor to protect her eyes, which she usually does.... Bridget and Dianne, listening to an amusing story....You know what is amazing....? These women see each other all the time, mostly because of Theatre West and everyone's involvement....(Kim is no longer a member, but she was for 35 years).....and we never run out of things to say to one another so these relationships stay very strong and connected......


Then, the always late but delightful Seemah Wilder, arrived....When I said to the others, Seemah is going to be late....someone said..."What else is new?", and we all giggled because it is true and it was said with great love and affection.... Cousin Carol had brought these special Foreign coins down from San Jose at Christmas 2006, and asked me to give them to Seemah...! Well, I forgot. For a year and a half...! Talk about being late....! (lol)

We went back to 'laughing and scratching, and waiting for the last of our "Ladies Who Lunch".....Meanwhile here is a happy Bridget Hanley.Then dear Annie Guilbert called and said she was lost...! I tried to talk her up the hill on her cell phone, but somehow she was on another street or something....Anyway, she said we should go ahead and eat, and she would catch up when she got here....IF she got here....Well, she did! She made it....and we were all very happy she did.....! So here we are....having finished our main meal---No, I didn't take any pictures of that....I was so hungry by the time we ate that I just put the camera down and gobbled away....You can see the residue on that plate over to the left of the picture....We had a GREAT Chicken Salad in a Half of Avocado; A Salad with Bib Lettuce, Little Tomatoes, Jicima and some lovely Vinagrette dressing; And, a Rice salad that was just delicious, plus these huge beautiful lovely soft Croissants....yum yum yum!...In the picture above, everyone was listening to Annie telling some story....And here she is, below, listening to Betty....! To Be Continued.....

Part Two will appear in my next post....What is in Part Two?....Cake and Presents, among other things......





Yes, More To Come, For Sure.....





































36 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Birthday to Betty Garrett. The cake looks great. Wish they made cakes like that here in China.

The card made by carol is really cute too. It looks like a great fun gathering:)

Here via michele

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 3:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Bretty looks like a great Birthday Girl! Please send my greetings and a big Birthday hug all the way from Norway!
What a lovely party you made for her and the cake and the gathering looks so cozy. I can tell you had a blast and am looking forward to part 2!

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 4:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday Betty! I have always admired her work. You have the greatest get-togethers. I can't wait to see part 2!

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 6:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Ooo, I recognize some of those ladies, and of course, Betty.
Sounds like such a fun day, just the Girls!

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 7:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I think it is just fabulous having a get-togetherthat spans the age groups! I'm 53 and sing in a women's choir and one of my favourite people there is an 80 year-old because she's just so lively and fun!
The cake looks delish and I'm drooling!

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 7:04:00 PM PDT 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

oh yes! what a beautiful birthday for betty. i recently caught a movie late at night in which betty was the leading lady. i never caught the title of the movie since i happened upon it after it started. she played a really eclectic bongo-playing, surfer-girl, in a convertible and i think her leading man was frank sinatra. she is still just as beautiful today as she was back then. her smile and her eyes are vivacious. bless her heart. happy belated birthday miss betty!

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 7:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Please tell Betty we all said Happy Birthday! It is so nice of you to share your photos with us. Betty is amazing to still be working at her age!

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 9:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love it, I feel like I was there. Of course having BEEN there I can imagine it much easier now lol.
I am proud of the fact we didn't get lost when we drove ourselves to your place, poor Ann I hope she wasn't too late.

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 10:42:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Happy Birthday to your dear friend Betty! She looks wonderful and full of life. It seems you all had the nicest time together and you didn't starve :)
Looking forward to part 2!

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 12:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Two of my favourite things here...
A Phalenopsis orchid and CHOCOLATE cake...
Hope the birthday girl had a great day, it looks like a hoot!!!
Here from Michele's today...
Bernie

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 1:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It looks like you gals had a great day! I knew you would. Everything looked lovely.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 1:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday to Betty, one more time! Love all those happy photos! Sounds you all had a great "Ladies Who Lunch"! The cake looks yummy and the table set is very beautiful, too!

I am looking forward to see another photos!

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 6:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy, Happy Birthday Betty!!!

Everything looks wonderful! Oh, do I want a piece of that fabulous looking cake!! You can give me a birthday party anytime Naomi! haha

You girls look like you had a grand ol' time! It's such fun when a bunch of friends get together!

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 9:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful group of fabulous women!

I hope Betty really enjoyed her day with friends and CHOCOLATE cake. Triple yum-yum-yum!!!!!

I'm glad everyone finally made it there.

That part where you wrote, "So, we all sat and chatted and laughed and scratched for a bit....." took me instantly to the play Oklahoma where they say, "talk a little, pick a little..."

I wish Betty many more years of good health, enjoying life and friends and work and family.
I look forward to part 2.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 9:24:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

What a delightful party and it all looks so pretty. I'm going to be dreaming of that chocolate cake. They all look great and isn't it funny there is always someone late!
I'll bet you had a ball!
Many Happy Returns Betty and thanks for the pleasure you have given over the years.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 9:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Good Saturday morning Lady !
What a wonderful birthday celebration ! The table, the cake, the orchids, the interesting, sweet, intelligent faces of your friends gathered round to enjoy lunch and each-others conversation - and that yummy sounding food ! What a great day ! Thank you for sharing it. They truly look like a bunch of wonderful women, all of them --

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 9:57:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I have just viewed your inviting 1st post on "The Ladies Who Lunch" celebrating Betty's 88th Birthday and am looking forward to part 2.
How much more sweet or precious can a gathering of dear friends be? I would have loved being there.








how much sweeter

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 12:40:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I wished Betty a Happy Birthday the other day, but when you turn 88, hey....you get wished that twice!
What a lovely table you set and the orchid...gorgeous! It looks like all of you had such a great time. Such fun to enjoy "girl time" together. And I'm jealous I couldn't be there...but as always, she shared it with all of us. Thanks so much, Naomi. I enjoyed it and really looking forward to Part II.
Visiting here from Michele's, but I was headed here anyway....lol

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 3:23:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Betty is the greatest, and I'm so happy she's in such great shape at 88. Looks like a fantastic party, and what a bunch of fascinating dames! I'm looking forward to seeing Betty and Seemah in their current show, "Mornings at Seven." (Is Bridget in it too?)

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 6:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How wonderful the get together, lunch, and party for Betty's Birthday!! She looks wonderful for 88, so vibrant and glowing!! And still working!!! I'm sure her love of acting helps to keep her young too. She's quite an amazing woman!!

The table looks lovely and that cake!! My mouth watered when I saw that!! How tempting!! It's so pretty and so much chocolate!! A feast for the eyes and the mouth!!

I loved your post before with all the great hummingbird pictures!! They are such dainty and sweet little darling things!!

I have been busy for the past couple of days and haven't been on here much, so I'm playing catch up.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 7:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Kudos to the hostess with the mostess.

And a very happy birthday to one very special lady...and her wonderful friends -- who gathered to help celebrate HER, not just her special day.

(thx for inviting us along, too!)

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 8:55:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy birthday to Betty...what an amazing smile she has! It looks like you guys had a ton of fun. I totally want to party with you.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 1:51:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, yeah...and Michele sent me!

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 1:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a BEAUTIFUL post about a beautiful lady - and a beautiful table set for a beautiful lunch - that sounded delicious! And I know this post is all about Betty -- but I just have to tell ya how EXCITED I was to see BRIDGET HANLEY!!! I don't believe I've seen her since she played on Here Come The Brides - where I just absolutely ADORED her! She was SO cute and SO spunky and I just LOVED her character! I spent half my teenage years wanting to be JUST LIKE HER!!! And she is STILL a doll! Thank you sO much for sharing your delightful Ladies Luncheon -- I wished before I could be there - but now I know if I had I would have just made a FOOL of myself! ROFL!

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 2:52:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow I am always amaze when you write about your friends Naomi. Betty looks gorgeous and strong. It reminds me of some senior ladies here around the ages of 90 and still do aerobic exercises. And god the cake looks so delectable and decadent. Very rich and tasty!

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 4:29:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That was just a nice peek into your delightful afternoon with beautiful friends and fabulous food! You make it all seem so warm and inviting, just like we were there! What a gathering of stunning women!

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 7:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Sunday Lady ! How are you doing today ?

Thank you again for your kindness -- my soul is beginning to heal... I can't look in the mirror yet, but I can FEEL more loved inside... One step at a time...
It is good to be alive -- and to be me...

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 9:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely lunch! It sound slike Betty had a great Birthday and I just love that she is still working and doing something she loves. You write about the day with such warmth - I think that is wonderful. That cake looks absolutely gorgeous!

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 10:15:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Ladies Who Lunch! What a wonderful gathering of beautiful women. Everthing looks so picture perfect and frameable. I'll be back to see what Betty gets!

Thanks for sharing this, Naomi. I'm not surprised that you read "The Kin of Ata." It made the rounds in Floyd for sure and made a big impact on me.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 10:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Look how beautiful you all are... beauty just shining right out from your hearts. And, Oh My Gah... that cake... drool!

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 12:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Gosh darn it! I missed the party!!

and choc on choc cake too?? Good lord, you ladies sure know how to lunch!!

Please tell Betty 'cq wishes you a very happy 88th birthday and many, many more!!'

Michele sent me to say hi this time, Naomi - but I'm always somewhere around, hanging about in the wings :-)

cq

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 1:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, it looks like you had such a wonderful time. What great friends.
That color blue is very striking on Betty. :)

~S

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 3:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi - luscious party - happy bday to betty. you are so amazing Naomi = love and hugs

ps love the bees and hummers

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 3:29:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What great photographs!!! So full of fun. Looks like a marvellous time was had by all. Thanks so much for sharing those Naomi :)

Here via Michele today.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 4:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a fun party! There's nothing better than having good friends around, is there?

That cake looks amazing!! Gimme some!!! :)

A friend of mine is allergic to chocolate. She'll have it once in a while. It's hard for her to breathe afterwards because her windpipes get constricted.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 6:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

"Ladies Who Lunch," eh! That immediately reminded me that just the other night I played my DVD of "Elaine Stritch At Liberty." I love to hear her sing that song.

Think I wished BG an HB on an earlier post, but if I didn't here's another, though belated.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 1:27:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.