Friday, November 03, 2006
1 year anniversary

I just realized that I have an Anniversary coming up. Yes, my one year of blogging will fall on November 3rd...Well, shut my mouth, that's TODAY! Hard to believe that a whole year has gone by since I began this blogging journey on "Here In The Hills"....

Well, in actuality, for one month before, I had another blog called "The Hills Are Alive"...and that was like my bloggy shakedown cruise which got truncated when the hard drive on my computere crashed and died a horrible ugly could-not-be-recusitated-death. So, I then got a new computer and when I tried to go on to my dashboard I realized that I couldn't remember how to get onto the damned bloody thingy....thus....The beginning of "Here In The Hills"....

In honor of that start-up...or I should say re-start up, I am putting up my very first post on this blog....Well, my second really....because my very first post was the announcement that my computer had died and the fear expressed that no one would be able to find me...it was short and sweet and to the point, but not particularly typical of anything I had written on my blog previously...so, this was the second post...And I hadn't quite conquered how to put pictures anywhere but on top, yet, as you will see when it starts down below! And isn't it amazing that one of the pictures I put on there, as you are about to see---is from that same Sunset series that I just posted in the post previous to this one....

Things did improve, 'picture-wise' as I discovered the secret of moving pictures around and putting them where I want them---like I just did with that "computer horrors" picture just above and over to the left.....

But for now...here is the beginning of "Here In The Hills", one year ago, today---sort of....





COYOTE’S

Driving home from “Dr. Torture” (aka: The Back Doctor) last Saturday night—I was coming down the hill from Mulholland Drive, down Outpost Drive and then on to my street---It was somewhere around 8pm. And there in the street, as I rounded one of the familiar curves, were two Coyote’s—one was just crossing the road in front of me as my headlights caught him—using one of the ‘crossovers’ that the deer have used for many many years—and the other one was about to cross following his buddy/mate, when the headlights of my car--plus the sound of my car scared him back up the hill behind the late Michael Jeter’s house


Here in the Hollywood Hills where I live, at 8:05pm on a Saturday night—with Hollywood Blvd. just down the hill—here were these two coyote’s.


It never ceases to amaze me that I can live so very close to “civilization”; that Grauman’s Chinese—(excuse me, Mann’s Chinese Theatre, which is my neighborhood movie theatre) and yet—I see coyote’s and deer up here and always have, all the years I have lived up here.

Unfortunately these streets now have an incredible amount of traffic, for residential streets, I mean—someone is always renovating their home or rebuilding—or new homes are being built on the very few lots that are available at this point---(this area is extremely overbuilt now --and those houses that are being built, are being erected on the most impossible inclines you could possibly imagine)—and all this building brings workmen and their cars and trucks; huge dumpsters parked for months at a time on streets that are very curvy and windy and not exactly wide---making driving up here pretty daunting.

It is so very busy all week long from early morning till after dark that one forgets that this use to be a very quiet and generally sleepy neighborhood---and one has to be even more careful when driving all the blind curves up here with so many cars and trucks parked on the streets.


I actually had begun to think that all this activity and hustle and bustle and crowdedness had sent the coyotes and the deer further up into the hills—or that maybe, even---that most of them had died out with no place to roam.

It really did my heart and soul good to see these two healthy looking coyotes that night—and the day before, Friday,—the two plumbers that had come to my home to snake out the kitchen sink which had backed-up…(it’s been quite a week of problems here in the hills what with computer crashes and pipes breaking and kitchen sinks backing up--)…they saw two beautiful deer on the street, almost in front of my house…a hopeful sign, too, I would say.

As I continued on my way down my street towards my house that night—I thought: ‘It really is fall now, here in the hills of Hollywood, now that the coyotes and the deer are here’, and I was reminded of why I wanted to live up here in the first place. Nature is right outside my front door. Wild animals still do frequent my neighborhood even though Hollywood & Highland and The Kodak Theatre and The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel are almost a stones throw away.

It's a small thing maybe, but it really made me happy!

So....there it is....A year ago, I was writing about the cayote's that one sees up here on the hill. And because I am so deeply excessive, here below is a BIG HUGE Anniversary cake....please, help yourself and help me "celebrate"....because part of the great joy of blogging has been and still is, all the wonderful special people that I have met all over the world who enrich my life and share so very much with me, each and every day...365 glorious days, and still counting....!
In many ways, dear blog buddies, this blogging stuff has saved my life....being pretty much confined as I am...it has kept me connected to the world and people and my creativity in ways that I could not possibly have imagined when I began this internet journey....I thank you all for the love and encouragement and great good humor you have all shown me....I am deeply grateful to each and everyone of you and I send you big hugs and big big thanks on this special one year anniversary day.....


More Will Definitely Be Coming Soon....To This Blog Near You.....







57 Comments:
had this to say:

Happy Anniversary Naomi! I can't wait to see what the next year brings us with your blog. :)

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 2:21:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

*happy blogiversary to you, happy blogiversary to you, happy blogiversary dear oldoldladyofthehills, happy blogiversary to youuuuuuuuu* LOL
Congratualations :) I hope you have many more years of blogging!

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 2:25:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh, and by the way, I stopped by "Bloggy Gossip" at http://bloggygossip.com to let them know it was your anniversary. So, if you get more visitors, you'll know why!

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 2:25:00 AM PST 

Blogger Joe
had this to say:

Happy Anniversary!!!

Here via Michele.

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 2:35:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Anniversary! I am so glad I can share your one year celebration with you no matter how remotely. I must say that visiting your blog has become one of my regular virtual journeys adn I always enjoy coming to 'see' you.

I always love to see the fantastic pictures you post and to hear your stories and observations. You are very lucky indeed to ahev so much wildlife nearby and I think many of us forget to look around us. Just recently near my house I have seen foxes, badgers, squirrels and in my garden I have hedgehogs and all mannner of wildbirds that I feed.

Do keep up the blogging and here's to another year!

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 2:46:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Well happy anniversary and here's to plenty more. Mmmmm the cake look great and so do you. Keep up the great work and will definately keep on dropping in. Happy Blogging. xxxxxMarisaxxxx all the way from the land down under. OZ

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 3:05:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Blogiversary
It is amazing how much blogging becomes part of a life, and how much we rely on it. Many times it has kept me sane (and lovely bloggy friends like you who have listened to me)it has been a pleasure getting to know you.

*speaking with her mouth full* thank you for a piece of your lovely cake

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 5:30:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi I can honestly say one of the best things about the blog world was meeting you. I love your site and all your tales, so Happy Anniversary to you and I look forward to all the upcoming posts from you!

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 6:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Blogiversary to you - from me & Bloggy Gossip! :)

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 7:07:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy anniversary!!!

It was interesting to read about the coyotes considering where you live. All I have to contend with are squirrels and raccoons. Ha!

Have a great day!

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 7:15:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy birthday to you and your blog. I have really enjoyed your garden tours and walks around your area. Keep up the good work!
All the best, Dave.

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 8:07:00 AM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Happy Anniversary, Naomi!!!! That cake looks delicious and fattening.... yum. All we need is the gelato.

My brother is to arrive tomorrow for a short visit. He has been in NY since Tuesday getting a bit of voice coaching in preparation for his opera in Montreal.

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 9:22:00 AM PST 

Blogger TLP
had this to say:

Happy anniversary to you! I love your blog. It's a happy place. Also a pretty place.

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 9:59:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

happy blogiversary!

michele sent me!

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 10:33:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Well, Happy One Year Anniversary Naomi!.. wow we began close to the same time, I just had my one year last month...

I do remember when I lived in Encino.. there were plenty of Oppossums and "unfortunately" Skunk as well! heh..

I don't know where you found that "chocolate cake" but I could let myself get good and sick on it!! looks Mahhhhavalous darlin'!!

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 10:42:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

In so many ways, I feel as if I've known you forever.

I'm thankful that we have this medium to reach out and connect. Where would we be without it? I don't even want to know.

Here's to many more years of seeing the world through your unique lens.

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 12:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Congrats on your one year anniversary Naomi. And thanks for the vote of confidence when I tried this Michelle thing, ha, ha. I am afraid contrary to what you think, I am lost! When I tried it... I ended up on someone from another planet, Picard something and I am afraid I told him so, too; he was on some other planetary wave link than me I'm afraid because he didn't make a lick of sence. And then I forgot to say Michelle sent me, so my daughter Mindi said she would do the Michelle thing for me... to help me get a name for the newest member to our family! And I think I will go back to reading my book, ha, ha; it is more relaxing! Faira

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 12:49:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy blogiversary to you! I'm so glad you've chosen to share your wonderful stories with us. I look forward to them. :) *hugs!*

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 1:13:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Anniversary, Naomi! And many more. :-)

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 1:17:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Congrats on your Blogiversay, Naomi!
And here I thought you were an old pro, having been at this a couple years (wink).

We still see coyote here in our hills too.

Blogging really is one of those things that you can't understand the effects it has until you experience it for yourself. :)

~S

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 2:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Blog Anniversary to you my dear friend!! I am so glad to have met you through this wonderful world of blog!!!One day I hope to tag along with my hubby to LA and meet you in person!! Sending you a big hug!

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 2:39:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

happy blogiversary :)

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 3:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy first anniversary (plus a month sorta), Naomi. It's been a joy to read your blog these past 8 or 9 months that I've been reading it. Your posts show me a side of this country that I'd never otherwise get a peek at. Your plants, house, and neighborhood are all amazing--as are your friends whom you occasionally post about also.

Michele sent me to get a piece of cake!

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 4:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Blog Anniversary dear Naomi!!! I have really enjoyed reading your wonderful stories and I love seeing your gorgeous pictures! I am very glad and it was lovely meeting you! It’s amazing that I truly feel as if I’ve known you for a long time! I wish you many more blog birthdays! Many hugs!!!

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 5:35:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

A whole year! Wow! I'm at a year and a half. What did we do before this?

I guess I had the wrong impression of where you live, Naomi. I didn't know deer and coyote would live there.

I'm glad your out there!

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 6:32:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Congratulations on making your blog anniversary, Naomi. I remember your first blog, the crash and the start of the new blog - so I am an oldfriend, am I not? I wish for you many more years of living and blogging!!

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 7:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

We love you Aunty Em, I am so glad you decided to keep blogging, we didn't see any coyotes but deer yes :)
Happy blogiversary to you and many more in the future !!

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 7:48:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy anniversary! Your blog is an extraordinarly engaging literary work. And that cake!!! Best wishes for the next wonderful year of enlightenment and entertainment.

Friday, November 3, 2006 at 11:17:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Blogiversary!!!

And Many Many More.

Cindi

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 9:15:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

A very HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY to you, Naomi! I'm sure glad you found us and we found you.
Taking my slice of cake now and wishing you a very good year ahead.

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 10:33:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

happy blogday to you.

I'm trying to catch up on all my fave blogs:-)

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 12:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

[cuts slice of cake]

Hi Naomi, I'm home and here (belatedly) to help you celebrate your blogiversary.

Love 'n' stuff

cq

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 12:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy blogging anniversary. That was an interesting first post as have been all that I have read of yours since then. You have one of the blogs that I make sure to check every day :)

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 12:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Sorry I am a bit late greeting you but from the buttom of my heart;
Happy, Happy Blogiversary and how geat that we all can celebrate with you!
You know I always love to read your posts and with great pictures to ducument. There is a lot of differences, but also simulareties to Norway and I love to learn about your country through your eyes!
Btw: I have my birthday today - come over and see what gift I got from my wife:-)

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 2:09:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Anniversary to your blog Naomi. I wish for many more and excity blog anniversaries here!

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 2:51:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Blogiversary! :)

Coyotes are fun. My grandparents were farmers and thus felt they were more vermin than anything else, but myself...I always think of Coyote with the capital C. The trickster spirit who lent some of his smarts to a cartoon, roadrunner-hungry counterpart. I like them.

Hello from Michele's!

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 4:18:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

happy blog anniversary!

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 4:43:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Congratulations on your first year of blogging Naomi. We are all the better for it, as you have entertained us and brought us knowledge about things we otherwise wouldn't have gotten. You have a great blog and you are such a nice person!! That being said, Happy One Year Blog Anniversary. I'm looking forward to the second year! That cake looks really yummy. I think I'll have some to help you celebrate!!

:) Cheers!

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 5:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Blogiversary! How exciting! Love all the pics, interesting about the coyotes and all. It is nice to stay in touch with the world when you can't get out much! Enjoy the weekend! :)

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 6:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday "Hills"!

Sorry I've been away so long--I've been trying to hide my computer or feed it to the neighbor's dog. I sensed that there was an event There in the Hills, so I slunk in.

I'm glad you do this and that I found your blog. My thing is coming up on a year, and I also plan to post my first entry over again. I don't know if I'll ever produce so much copy in one year again, at least on my blog, but I'm not making any decisions. The one-year mark is a time for reflection. Thankfully your reflections are telling you to shine on, a creative beacon from the Hollywood Hills.

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 6:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hey, I remember the coyote post! :)

Happy Blogiversary! You're great company on my daily visits!

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 7:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Anniversary, Naomi! Thanks for making me smile with your pictures and with your kind words and prayers for my dad.

God bless.

Kendra

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 7:42:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Blogiversary, Naomi!! Blogging is very therapeutic, don't you think? Hope you have many more years of blogging. I love your Hollywood stories.

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 9:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Blogoversary!! I agree with you - it does help to keep you connected, and I find it theraputic. Stopping by via Michele - you have a lovely blog!

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 10:23:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Blogiversary!! WOW, it's been a year. You're a seasoned blogger now, yanno. ;)

Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 10:31:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Congrats on your blogging anniversary! Was interesting to read what you had to say about the experience a year later.

You surely started out way ahead of me, knowing how to put pictures on your blog from the beginning.

Sunday, November 5, 2006 at 1:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I see I am a little late o the party. I hope there is still cake. Happy Blogversary. I alsways enjoy yourposts.

Sunday, November 5, 2006 at 3:03:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Just dropping by to say Happy Anniversary Naomi! I love your blog, and wish you many more happy anniversaries to come!!!

Sunday, November 5, 2006 at 3:13:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Dear Gentle Naomi,
Mazel tov on your anniversary.
Although not confined in the way you are, blogging also saved my sanity, gave me much suport in so many areas of my life, when real life friends had moved. Instead of thoughts, emptiness, or powerlessness sometimes spinning around in my very capable, but often lonely head (I work two jobs at home, husband travels alot, and lots of other "stuff" I don't blog about...), this internet connection of blogging exceeded my expectations by far. I'm so enriched by meeting those from all over the world and sharing views.
Thank you for sharing your vast and interesting memories.Just last night, my husband and I happened on "Singing in the Rain" on TV and I told him (again) about you. They sure don't make movies like those anymore. You also are quite a photographer!
-Green-Eyed Lady (GEL) aka Silvermoon

Sunday, November 5, 2006 at 6:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Anniversary to your Blog, dear Naomi. As usual, I am a day late and a dollar short, but my wishes are most sincere in spite of my personal shortcomings!!

Your presence in the blogosphere brings elegance and genuine class to all of our lives. Thank you for sharing your life with the rest of us.

Sunday, November 5, 2006 at 8:58:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy anniversary! Heard about you from Bloggy gossip. What a beautiful view of LA you have from your home. Happy bloggiversary!

Sunday, November 5, 2006 at 1:09:00 PM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Happy blogiversary, my dear!!! How wonderful that you are part of the blogosphere!
(and I remember your comment telling your new url because of the lost blog... can't believe it is already a year!)

Sunday, November 5, 2006 at 1:21:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Blog anniversary.

Monday, November 6, 2006 at 11:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

AAAAGH! I can't believe I MISSED your anniversary! Well... better late than never! FABULOUS first post (second)! Mine was NOTHING ... really nothing! LOL! I'll not be repeating it on my anniversary! I do find it interesting though that I had NOT seen this post - having only "met" you in recent months - but that I have OFTEN thought about how incredible it IS that you have all that nature that you share with us, right there, SO CLOSE to that big ol' city! You just have it ALL, lady!

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 at 6:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

"1 year anniversary" i enjoyed reading this Post very much! - funny thing too, two nights ago when i dropped my daughter off we were sitting chatting in the car and i caught just a glimpse of a coyote as he scurried accross the street...i have not seen one for a long time...i do hear them howling in the summer tho'...

...well, we will be "battening down the hatches" once again as another freaky storm comes our way tomorrow! if i am not heard from in Blogland it means the power is out again.

Sunday, November 19, 2006 at 12:02:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Dear Sweet Naomi...It's Nov. 20th and my Happy Anniversary wish comes
belated, but heartfelt. I just want to say "Many Happy Returns" and I do mean RETURNS! Finding you has been a joyous gift Your warmth is like sunshine and rainbows and you share it with such a generosity heart.

Monday, November 20, 2006 at 12:20:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Dear Anonymous...
Oh PLEASE Come back and tell me who you are!!!
Here is my email:

myrtillo1984 AT yahoo DOT com

Would love to jbow who left such a WONDERFUL Message for me!

Monday, November 20, 2006 at 1:52:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.