Wednesday, November 02, 2011
anniversaries

Twenty years ago I performed two Wedding Ceremonies that were two weeks apart. The first was Audrey McCann and Michael Franks, on October 27th, 1991......And the second Wedding was Karen Culliver and Garrett Parks, on November 9th, 1991. Both of these Weddings had a very personal meaning for me. There is a long intimate history with the Franks family and me, and with the Parks family and me, too......
I met Michael Franks' father Danny, before he met his wife, Ruth--Michael's mother----in 1953-54. I was at Michael's "briss", spent time with him when he was just a boy.....Above, Michael and me, in Great Neck, at my mother's house---1965-66.....And below-----at my 80th Birthday this past June........And when he moved out to Los Angeles I met his dear loving special then future wife, Audrey.....When they decided to marry, they asked me to perform the ceremony. I was thrilled and very touched, too...... The Ceremony was held in one of the 'Gardens' of The Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills. It was a very cold winy day, but beautiful.......There it is above---Michael sent me this picture of the garden just a few days ago.....And here below, the Happy Couple, twenty years later....... And, in a not so very good picture below, at my 80th Birthday Celebration kast June.....And, that same day----here are Michael & Audrey with Karen Culliver Parks....!


On November 9th, 1991, I 'officiated' at the Culliver/Parks Wedding, held in the garden of the Parks Family home in Studio City---another beautiful day. There we are below.....me signing the very important required license that says, yes, they are actually married.....!I have known Garret Parks since 1962....His Mom and Dad---Betty Garrett and Larry Parks were my dear dear friends and colleagues, too, since 1962. Both are gone now---Larry in 1975, and Betty, just this past February 12th, 2011......Garrett met his dear talented Karen, who has what I call, a-heartbreak-voice because it breaks your heart with it's purity of feeling and soul, back in 1989---when she appeared with Betty in the very special Broadway show of, "Meet Me In St. Louis". Above, Karen and her future mother-in-law, dear Betty G., at the Opening Night party of "Meet Me".......Well, she was the most beautiful young woman you have ever seen---And, she still is. Garry found his true 'soul-mate'. I got to know Karen a little bit later, when she was playing 'Christine' in "Phantom Of The Opera" on Broadway.It was during that time that Karen and Garrett asked me to perform their Wedding ceremony---a very thrilling prospect for me......And, here is what is so very meaningful to me: We are all STILL in each others lives---we are "family". Below, Karen and Garrett last New Years Eve at my house...... And below with their very beautiful and talented daughter Maddy....also here in my house last New Years Eve........The Franks and The Parks...They are my very very dear dear extended "Family". To have people in your life for such a long long time is deeply meaningful. And it was indeed, incredibly meaningful to actually officiate at both of their Weddings. And now, here it is twenty years later......!

So, a Happy 20th Anniversary to each of you....may there be another 60 years of marriage for both couples----you are all so very special in every way.....!!!!


More To Come...........











29 Comments:
had this to say:

1991 was a significant year for me, too; our youngest daughter was born on the 21st of december, a palindromic day:12---21---1991!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 5:09:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Learn something new every day, like, you're an ordained "woman of the cloth." Very cool.

Cheers.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 6:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

When you are the one tying the knot for these people, it stays tied. How wonderful that they are all not only still happily married but that you are still so much in their lives.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 10:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I didn't know you could marry people. How cool! That must be such a special thing to do. My father is a registrar, I think that's what it's called and he makes sure all the legal documents are correct, but he can't marry anyone I don't think.

I loved all the photos too.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 10:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How marvelous for those two couples to be able to attend the 80th birthday celebration of the lady who married them twenty years ago. And how marvelous for you to be asked to perform the marriages for these lovely people who are your good friends, and to know that their marriages have lasted twenty years. You are all blessed, Naomi.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 1:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Awww, happy anniversary to those two special couples. Beautiful wedding pictures... and what lovely memories! :)

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 4:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the photos because they span the years and show true lasting love and friendship
and I always love seeing you

Karen's wedding dress is to die for!!
love the dramatic neckline

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 6:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,

I really enjoyed this post. You look gorgeous, especially in the black and white wedding photo. I really like the one where you are signing the certificate as well. It's obvious that this was a very happy time in your life; you just sparkle. Had I known you 3 years ago I would have asked you to officiate at my wedding:)

Happy Dia De Los Muertos, Naomi.

Stan
XOXO

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 7:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

there must be a secret to how you marry people that they stay together forever! I love that you married Garrett...it made me teary reading it and knowing how you miss Betty.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 3:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Such treasured memories and such dear friends! You should write a book about your life! Hope you are feeling much better now! Love and hugs, Rachel

Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 6:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This gave me chills thinking about memories being made, relationships and how life goes on. I'm happy both couples are still happy and well and that you are!

Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 7:27:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I love it when people are able to find and marry the right person, and then stay together. You are blessed to have been a part of both generations. Happy Anniversary to the lucky couples.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 8:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful families and still such a connection...I love it!!

The now and then photos are excellent. I love the ones of you with Michael as a kid and later at your b-day party. Wow! That's some friendship! Garrett and his wife look like a charming couple as well. I know how much Betty meant to you and it's great that you still have her family in your life.

I was married in 1991 myself, Sept. 7th...apparently a year where love was in the air. Wish you could've married us, my friend!

Have a wonderful night and a beautiful weekend, Naomi!! Hugs from Miami...Ily xo

Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 4:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I LOVE love! It warms my heart to see happily married couples. A great gig to marry a couple.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 7:50:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Sometimes the closest of families are not necessarily blood relations. That is a most lovely bond for you all. It must make it really special for them to be married by their mother's dear friend.
BTW it's MTL's birthday today:)

Friday, November 4, 2011 at 3:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,

What a great thing to still be in touch with both couples after all this time, even better to see in this day and age, is the fact that both couples are still together and happy that way.

As you say, an extended family of non bood relatives can often be more like family, than the real thing.

Luckily, hubbie and I are very close to my brother and sister-in-law and their two daughters are like the children we never had. Our eldest niece has recently become married to her long term partner and I was very proud to be asked to be a witness at the ceremony.

Some lovely photographs to teasure

Good to see you back posting your great stories and pictures again, I do hope that you are well on the way to a full recovery, don't go overdoing things.

Yvonne

Friday, November 4, 2011 at 11:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I remember well the photo you post of you and the beautiful couple Audrey McCann and Michael Franks times ago!
It's so nice to have such lovely memories and those beautiful pictures.
A Happy Anniversary to the lucky couples!
Many hugs to you!

Friday, November 4, 2011 at 12:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy anniversary to them!

Friday, November 4, 2011 at 7:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It moves me to tears Noami, tears of joy and celebration to this two lovely couples.

My 21st year of marriage has just passed and never ever did we ever celebrated so this post is significant indeed as I shared the joy of their happy matrimony for these twenty years.

I wish I could find soul mate just like they both have and I wish them all the very best.

Naomi, if ever they plan to visit Singapore, please let them know that they I would love to meet them and as long as they are your special friends, I am sure I would be able to embrace everlasting friendships with them too :)

Love to you my dear friend :D

Saturday, November 5, 2011 at 4:39:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Nice memories to have, Namoi.

Saturday, November 5, 2011 at 7:44:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thank you Nay....for putting this blog together. We love you too so much! What a wonderful life we've had.
xo, Audrey

Saturday, November 5, 2011 at 8:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful memories.. Thanks for sharing them.. All of you are beautiful.. I have been missing in action again lately. Just busy.

Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 8:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Lovely moments and great that everyone is still happily together!

I trust you are also back on your feet again too!

Best, rashbre

Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 8:30:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Anniversary to the happy couples! I didn't know you performed marriage ceremonies :)

Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 9:59:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That's beautiful. I love continuity of relationships like that. Nothing is more beautiful in life.

Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 5:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

dear naomi! what an incredible journey your life! and to have such a close and loving family of friends! all of which speaks volumes for the depth of your own dear heart and capacity for love and giving - i know the lives of these couples were enriched with your caring ceremonial words and thoughts to them all - and how wonderful it always is to come here and find such a visual record of your goings-on, lady! thank you for all the time and energy to put together these marvelous posts - so sorry to have been absent a bit of late - the past couple of weeks have been spent trying to get the last of things from the old house over to the new house and get them all in place - i was just saying elsewhere that at this moment i am sitting with two printers on my desk and neither of them yet hooked up - and then there are the still empty chest of drawers waiting on me to fill them from storage containers! but, a beautiful blue skies and sunshine day here - much like your gorgeous california weather there i imagine - again, thanks so much for such a wonderful post - oh, and those photos, marvelous!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 at 1:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

How awesome that you were such a part of their big days!

Glad to read that you are on the mend. Hope you are feeling even better by now!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 6:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It must be such a deep honour to officiate at someones wedding Naomi. I imagine it must be satisfying and joyful to join two lives like you have done. I always think of it as an honour when I get to photograph a wedding and capture the big day and the little moments, but what you have done is so very special.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 at 6:20:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Extended family is so very important! Rick and I have a dear friend, a TV anchor who is legally permitted to perform weddings. While we aren't thinking of this yet (after 16 years, it's pretty good as-is!), we always say "It would be more meaningful to have Jane do a ceremony." I can hear those thoughts in the minds of your two couples, knowing how special it would be to have you at the helm of their new life together. My wishes for their continued happiness.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 at 8:45:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.