Sunday, September 18, 2011
ladies who lunch - part 2

So....we finished our Main Course---everyone seemed to be very happy with it, especially the Birthday Girls, above. And I know I was thrilled."The Original Cobb Salad" is probably my very favorite salad of all time....So while we digested the Salad...we talked and talked and talked some more..........And then we talked some more and of course, listened, too.....In a way, it amazes me that we never run out of things to talk about. I find it so very comforting that we are ALL interested in each other and care so much about what is happening in each of our lives....... I don't remember what Lee was saying...but, she obviously had all of us listening, intently.....And sometimes, smiling too..... And then.....it was time for The Birthday Cakes. Yes CAKES! I had two cakes...One for Seemah, and another one, for Kim. 'Will' brought out Seemah's first, because her actually Birthday had happened already by the time we had this 'ladies who lunch', (July 26th...)...... Of course, they were two different cakes. Seemah's was that fantastic Lemon Meringue Cake that everyone absolutely adores....... In this picture above...darling 'Will' was explaining to Kim that she had her own cake, too, and that it would be coming along here very soon.... Then, Seemah made her wish, and she blew out the candles, so her 'wish' would come true....No matter our ages---and Seemah is 87 years old----we still have hopes and wishes and dreams. It is what keeps us all alive. Looking forward to something...preparing for something....working at something---and with all of us, it is usually something creative, as it is with so many of you, too....... Oh My Lordy....! This is such a delicious Cake...! I always have this cake because though I am a Chocolate Person....THIS Lemon Meringue Cake tastes almost as good as chocolate....! And Seemah loves this cake, so...it was the perfect choice for her......Then......it was time for Kim's Cake, and actually, Kim's Birthday hadn't happened yet when we had our Ladies Who Lunch.....In fact, her Birthday was just last week, on September 12th....... This is Kim's very favorite Chocolate Cake, and mine, too......! The decadent deep dark chocolate with a hint of coffee-cappuccino, from "Sweet Lady Jane".....Yum, Yum, Yum....and More Yum.....! Hopes and Dreams and Wishes....... Isn't that pretty? You've seen this Cake before---always decorated in similar squiggly bright colors, but never the same twice---it is always decorated in a slightly different way each time they make it---And, of course, it is the same Cake that I always get for these special afternoons, and for my Birthday, too---in fact, I had both the Lemon and the Chocolate for my Birthday gathering---Hey, if it ain't broke......(lol)....... And, a closer look at these two cakes on the plate in front of me.....Before I began to eat these deliceeeosso's....... And speaking of plates...... A closer look at these plates, which are rather old.....I don't know how old, but I know they are from Czechoslovakia. I love China----as many of you who have been reading my blog for a long time know---I just adore fine China.....I love that little bit of Gold Leaf that goes all around the edge......And I love the shape of these plates, too.......Also, I love pretty little flowers on fine China---I have some Royal Crown Derby pieces that have flowers that look very much like these......I don't remember where I got them---some Antique/Thrift shop either here in Greater Los Angeles or maybe it was in New York. And since we are looking at China....How about looking at the 'special' glasses I got out for our toast......Here's a little closer look at these....... I only have four of each of these and it's why I rarely use them, though, now that I have finally used them for our Ladies Who Lunch, I think I will use them a lot more.......Mix and Match I always say......(Like the Coffee Cups, which you will see later......)..... These two different glasses were both my mother's.....I think they are so very pretty and delicate looking.....I love the two tone quality of the one above, with the clear cut glass on top....So Beautiful..... And, of course, the Cobalt Blue Tumblers were my mothers, too....They come from Bavaria. My parents bought them in the late 1920's on a trip to Europe....It was a whole set of beautiful dessert dishes and a variety of drinking glasses....After my Mom died in 1966, we all loved them so much we ended up dividing them so that each one of the four of us could have something from the set. I got the six tumblers that were left, and about three years later, (1969), I found another six---exactly the same----of these beautiful Cobalt Blue Tumblers in a Thrift shop in Rancho Mirage, which is in the desert near Palm Springs........Talk about lucky....!

Next time, in Part 3, we will be opening the Gift Bags, where there are some cute fun things......Here's a little Video Teaser of what's to come......















More To Come.........







28 Comments:
had this to say:

You all appear to have such good fun!! It is wonderful to see high spirits in all of you - especially those who are older.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 2:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

it never ceases to amaze me how such silly things can make for so much laughter... i think it somehow brings back feelings of when we were children.. maybe? lol

the cakes are gorgeous as always and everyone looks so good!!! I love the ladies that lunch!

Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 4:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

i love a good conversation that keeps you engaged... and with lifetime friends, such as you all are, it's a beautiful thing that you can get together like you do.

personally, i think the birthdays are just an excuse for you all to gather and eat cake without guilt. :)

Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 9:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow!!! Everything is so pretty and nice as always and I cannot never imagine that Seemah is 87!!!! All you lovely ladies out there truly inspire me to keep myself young and healthy :D

Cheers once again and thank you so much Naomi for sharing all the lovely details....Luv it!! :D

Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 9:24:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I recognize those plates. My maternal grandmother had a complete service for 16 I for some reason, she wanted me to have them. They're presently wrapped up in my cellar and I intend to pass them on to my daughter at the right occasion.

Cheers.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 12:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Another great party with the ladies! The contrast between the lemon and the chocolate makes my mouth water!

Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 6:53:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Diane J Standiford
had this to say:

I stop by for the parties. Nice seeing Betty remembered at the Emmys, and I watch Bridget today on TV. Oh, we are just sooo connected. :)

Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 9:00:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Looking at those wind-up toys reminds me, it's important that you never forget how to play. You have such a special group. Also, I'm all for two cakes, why settle?

Monday, September 19, 2011 at 6:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I just love these parties, you all have so much fun and enjoy eachother so.
Someday I will have to find one of those lemon cakes. That is my favorite.
Those little walking thingies are so funny. Hope you all had a race with them. Loved the laughter in the video.
Looking forward to "more".

Monday, September 19, 2011 at 8:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

There's nothing like getting a bunch of crazy ladies together with good food, good wine and BIRTHDAY CAKES, lots to say, lots of laughs, it's one of the best times anyone can have, I think! You all look like you;re having a whale of a time. Happy Birthday to the Birthday Girls!
And I love thrift shops too.... I love poking about on the shelves, sometimes I find a treasure that I can't live without, and sometimes I don't, but it's the hunt that is so much fun.

Monday, September 19, 2011 at 10:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You ladies always seem to be having so much fun! And look at that cake... I feel like I could just reach into the screen and eat a peice... or three! :D

Monday, September 19, 2011 at 2:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

A Happy Birthday and all the best to Seemah and to Kim. What a lovely Ladies Who Lunch! Everything is very beautiful as always. The cakes looks delicious too. The video make smile!
Thanks, dear Naomi, for sharing this precious moments!

Monday, September 19, 2011 at 6:43:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Just popped over on the off chance and now I understand your comment of Randall's blog about the plates. My son and grandson have just left and taken with then my ancient cameo which belonged to my grand-mother and which I am passing on to my granddaughter so it will be from her great great grandmother.
Typically they forgot it and returned before they got to the bottom of the lane.
How I yearn for a portion of the LM cake and the Choc cake. You all were having a splendid time as usual.
I think I have found a way I can follow you - from what I read on Judy's blog. We'll see.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 4:32:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Done it. You click on Add and add the URL.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 8:35:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi,
Your parties are so beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing. The love and affection you have for one another is a wonderful celebration of life! I love that you shared and remembered Betty.
Enjoyed the party!
Laura

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 1:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks like another lovely afternoon of fine food and festive friends, Naomi! I LOVE these lunches of yours...and you had to get closeups of that lemon cake...WOW!! And you thought the video was the teaser! As much as I love chocolate I would love to have a taste of that yellow one sometime (or something like it).

I just love the Cobalt Blue tumblers! It's amazing that you found more to add to your set. Great find!

Happy Birthday to the young ladies! They are all truly young at heart and looking lovely as always. Thanks for sharing a bit of your day with us. Can't wait to see Part 3!

Hugs to you, my dear!! xo

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 2:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It looks like y'all had a perfect lunch celebration.

All this talk and pictures of cake are making me hungry.

Your plates are gorgeous!! I love china too...and especially love it when the plates have unusual shapes like that. Very nice.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 9:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

if I could win a VIP trip to one fabulous LA event it would be to one of your lunches :)

Hope sends hugs, she sleeps with her colorful elephant and has decided to call him Nemo

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 5:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

what a fabulous party for the birthday girls! and those cakes! be still my heart - how beautiful they were and i know how divine just to taste! so odd your lemon meringue here because just last week i was looking for a recipe for one - yours is so magnificent - but i must say as a chocolate lover, this one "takes the cake" - all those luscious layers - i'm a multi-layer cake girl myself - and back before i "zen-ed" my life down a bit, i always set my table with mis-matched pieces - always loved things a bit different - a beautiful day and a beautiful table and time for your ladies who lunch and especially for the birthday ladies - so kind and generous of you all to share with us -

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 8:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved this that you said "Looking forward to something...preparing for something....working at something---and with all of us, it is usually something creative, as it is with so many of you, too......."

This is so true, and it has nothing to do with age. Keep on dreaming those dreams!

Both cakes look lovely, but I'm not a great fan of chocolate cake, but the other one looks perfect for me!

I love your mix and match glasses, I don't think I'd have the nerve to do that but they work well! How cool that you still have your mother's stuff like that too.

The video cracked me up! You always have such fun!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 3:31:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Boy, does that lemon cake look really good right now.

It's nice to see Ann again. I think she is such a funny comedic actress...one of the best. I'm laughing now as I think about some of the funny lines she delivered on "The Dick Van Dyke Show." Thanks for the laughs, Ann.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 9:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, either you need to stop posting pics of sumptuous food or I need to stop reading your blog so late at night!!LOL I'm fat enough!! Yet I will read your posts, look at your pics and mysteriously find myself in the kitchen, after midnight, looking for cake :0

I love, I mean LOVE, how you give equal attention to every detail. the food, the plates...flowers...all of it.

You really see your world. You see it so clearly. You see all of the details. I love that about you.


Sending you love, light and peace.

Stan

Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 12:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Okay, I raided the fridge and settled for some Chobani Greek yogurt (cherry). It's not cake, but it was damn good :)

Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 12:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The cakes looked delicious and now my mouth is watering! I wished I was there taking part in your fabulous lunch!

Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 3:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, Seemah is 87!! She sure looks years younger than that!! Mother Nature has been good to her!

What a fun lunch, and the cakes are wonderful and so delicious looking, as always.

I got tickled at the video teaser! Those things are fast! Sweetie would love them!!!

I must get a blog post up soon. I'm soooo behind! Hugs to you Naomi, and I hope Sweetie is doing well.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 7:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great birthday party. The cakes look sinfully good. The china and glassware are so elegant. I also like china and have been buying china tea cups for a long time. I have a varied assortment. Your blue tumblers though are something quite special.

Friday, September 23, 2011 at 7:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Of everything you show off- nothing is more exquisite than the blue bavarian glassware.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 7:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love those V shaped glasses! And I'm pleased to see that everyone seems to be trying both of the cakes!

Sunday, September 25, 2011 at 6:48:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.