Sunday, August 28, 2011
peacocks at hollywood forever

So.....finally, The Peacocks of Hollywood Forever. Isn't he a beauty? They have an enclosed area over against the wall on the Santa Monica Blvd. side of the cemetery, and there, they keep and raise, beautiful Peacocks. I have no idea why they do this because as many times as I have been to this cemetery I have never seen the Peacocks roaming about the way the other birds roam about---but it is my understanding that they do, on occasion, roam about. I really should call HF and ask them about their Peacocks......Every time I have been there the Peacocks are always in this rather large Pen......That day in early July when Shawn and Kim and I were out for a spin---this recent July---we stopped Hollywood Forever and went by the Pen to visit the Peacocks. Now, I was sitting in the front, on the passenger side of the car, and as it happens that passenger window is sickly and you cannot make it go down...So, all of the pictures you see here were taken through the rather dusty window and through the wire that encloses the Pen, as well----considering that, I think they came out pretty good..... This felt so far away....I needed to get in closer......Below, a closer look at the tail feathers of two of the very beautiful Peacocks living in the Pen....... We need to see this tail much closer than that...... It is unreal looking, it is so very beautiful.....Here below another view of another Bird..... I love the angle of the picture above....I wish I could tell you that I posed this Peacock just for the picture....but, no....that is just where he was.....There was quite a bit of movement in the Pen, and quite a few birds were in there.....Look at this beauty, below...... Check out these feet...... This next Peacock is interesting because the tail was not nearly as bright as the ones I've already shown you..... And above, on a closer look, the tail looks faded and, one might say, 'old'.....Though I honestly don't know what I mean, except that I know there is a big difference between the other Peacocks tails, and this guys tail........ I so wish I could have gotten a better picture of this Emerald Green Peacock, above.....So very Beautiful....but, better this than no picture at all, right? Above....the Peacocks in the Pen at Hollywood Forever seem to line up on some kind of wooden thingy and just sit there....In the first picture there are five (5) Peacocks, and getting in closer, we see three (3), though one is not as visible as it was in that first picture..... A closer look at that BEAUTIFUL Blue fellow.....Gee, they are so exotic and unique...... I think the one on the right is a Female....In reading a little bit about Peacocks, it seems the males have the glorious plumage and the females are rather grayish and bland...... Look at this handsome devil.....He is really quite something....! I cannot get over the vibrancy of the blues and the greens of these male peacocks..... Above, another interesting fellow....As you can see, the top picture shows him from rather far away and the second picture is a closer look at his head and his "comb"......And below, one more lovely Peacock, sitting in that Pen...... It was incredibly special to see these Birds and to take some pictures of them---even under the extreme conditions forced upon me....But what made this particular visit so very very special on that particular day was the fact that there were some little Peacock Babies. Yes! Some little Chicks....... Awwwwwww, how dear are they....? This was such a rare treat for me and for Kim & Shawn, too. These babies sure look sweet, don't they? This was a truly special day for all of us and memorable in every way, thanks to these little Peacock Chicks.....And, Thank You Hollywood Forever for having Peacocks as part of the Beauty of this wonderful place.....!










More To Come............



Note: To all of you who live on the East Coast of our wonderful country...I pray that "IRENE" does not do any damage to you and yours, and that you are safe and sound once Irene dissipates and moves on out to sea.......








25 Comments:
had this to say:

I do love seeing peacocks, Naomi. There is no other color that stirs me as much as that blue and the iridescent greens in their tail plumes. They are so regal looking. It's too bad that they have to be penned. I should think they'd clip their wings and let them roam all the time.

Maybe the one whose tail was not as vibrant is older - or sick.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 7:07:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That blue is always breathtaking to see.

Cheers.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 9:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oh wow naomi! I love the one with all the white! that made the other colors look even brighter!... and chicks! how lucky you were to see chicks!!!!! way too cute! lol

Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 3:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

First, thank you so much Naomi for stopping by to check on me. You are so sweet. I am much better thank you.
I do love those beautiful peacocks though their cry sounds for all the world like a woman screaming for help. I do hope those get some outside time. Ranchers in Florida let them free roam as snake deterrents.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 3:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

what magnificent creatures they are, are they not! just magnificent - in appearance and in character - and your wonderful photos bring us all to their domain there - i agree that the blue is just beyond words - just incredible - and then, the babies! while i've seen adult peacocks before, never a little one - so my deepest thanks!
well, irene came, skirted around a bit flaring her petticoats, did her dance and then waltzed [fox-trotted perhaps] on out to sea, leaving behind blue skies littered with little puffs of swirling white today - in my area, all was well, but for the beach area a few miles away but overall, much less destruction than anticipated - our huge basement was fully readied with everything conceivable stocked - including my favorite raspberry filled dark chocolates - but we never even made our way down to stay - our wind gusts were about 45mph and the rain just a heavy rain - very rarely did the sound of thunder even visit - for those less fortunate, my heart goes out - thank you for thinking of us here, dear naomi! and thanks for sharing your world!

Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 5:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

finally getting caught up again. I've enjoyed these posts very much Naomi. Peacocks especially, are one of my favorite birds for all sorts of reasons. Wonderful photos!

Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 6:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Peacocks are stranger than fiction and more beautiful! Sounds like fun outing you had and the baby chicks made it all the more special.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 7:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great pix. I've watched (I know, shame on me) their mating dance---talk about a display of beauty!!
Yes, wishing everyone a safe night.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 7:33:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Great pictures. How far away were you? What kind of lens did you use? I think you should call HF and ask about the history of the birds. Why they are there, when they first started keeping them, etc. :-)

Monday, August 29, 2011 at 6:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,

I love the splendour and grandeur of the male peacock when he is in the throes of his mating dance.

It is such a shame that your peacocks are all penned up, many places have their wings clipped then allow them to roam freely.

I have never been fortunate enough to see chicks, so your shots were a rare and welcome treat, thanks.

I have never full understood why nature has seen fit to make the male of almost all bird species, so much more beautiful than the female, which is usually quite dowdy and plain by comparison. I guess they just never need to look beautiful to get their man??

Yvonne

Monday, August 29, 2011 at 7:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Such beautiful birds!

My Dad volunteers at a nearby castle and they've recently had some peacock chicks too. :)

Monday, August 29, 2011 at 8:08:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Peacocks are so glamorous - they truly are in the right place.
Over here many stately homes have them wandering freely but you have to learn to live with their sound. I feel alittle shamefaced about them. When MTL first took me to his cottage there were peacock feathers in a vase at the bottom of the stairs. Now I have always believed they brought bad luck so when we married I got rid of them. No-one told me they had been a gift from my future step-DIL and she never did find out what happened to them.

Monday, August 29, 2011 at 8:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Peacocks really are beautifully feathered creatures -- the brilliant blues and greens ... the piercing "eyes" on the feathers -- not difficult to understand why some might think the feathers are lucky and others think the opposite.

Hadn't seen peacock chicks before -- so cute!

Monday, August 29, 2011 at 9:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Amazing how the little brownish chicks grow into such colourful birds! I wonder if they are always kept in the pen or just at certain times of the year when they can be more aggressive?

In show business the NBC colourful NBC logo is based upon a peacock and even has the beak.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 3:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! These peacock are just gorgeous! I am amazed with the bright color of the feathers and the tails are stunning!
Ah! The babies looks so sweet.
Thanks dear Naomi for sharing these beautiful peacock with us.
Have a pleasant day!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 6:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love peacocks
many years ago a peacock followed me around an animal sanctuary as me and my son checked it all out
it became so obvious that the peacock was attached to me that people started commenting and taking pics
my son, then about 6, was crying to take it home :)

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 12:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Such beauty! My mom has a peacock made from metal that my brother "keeps" for her. It's the one thing I envy that he has of hers. :)

Those little babies are adorable.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 7:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Peacocks are such stunning creatures! We had a neighbor that had some and he lived out of our sight but you could sure hear those peacocks. They can be very loud! I love it when they spread their tail feathers and it's a beautiful sight to see! Seems like the female should have the more colorful plumage doesn't it?

I enjoyed this post Naomi and especially seeing the babies. Don't think I have ever seen small ones before. They are adorable!!! I'm so glad you got to go there and see them!! Hugs dear lady!! Hope Sweetie is doing well!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 7:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The peacocks certainly are beautiful birds, such sumptuous colouring! Perhaps they are kept in the pen in case they are agressive, as they are such big birds and could do some damage to to the curious public. I've never seen baby peacocks before, you are so lucky to get such good photos, seeing that you were in a car with the window up!
My mother would never allow peacock feathers in the house.... Very Bad Luck!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 5:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How wonderful photos of these beautiful Birds.
And it was great you could go for a trip around.

btw. I think you will like the Flowers in my post of today...

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 8:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love Peacocks. I made one out of a woodcraft kit once as you may remember on my blog. I also love the expression "Peacocking" that was used in the film "17 Again" to describe someone dressing and strutting their stuff to get the attention of the person they fancy. :D

The tails, and colouring of the male birds particularly is amazing. You did very well to capture those photos through the car window like that.

Are they noisy birds? The chicks are so cute too. Just think what they will grow into!

I bet you had a wonderful time capturing the birds on your camera!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 11:29:00 AM PDT 

Blogger J C
had this to say:

Peacocks, Peahens. Both beautiful. I have never seen a white one like the first photo. Thanks for sharing these. A neighborhood near mind has a family of peafowl living wild in the yards. A few weeks ago when I last saw them, they had babies. Soooo cute!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 3:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Such a vibrant blue isnt it? They are sure gorgeous arent they but it is the males isnt it that are the most colourful so they can show off. glad you have been out and about taking pictures. And no I would not know you were behind a dusty window taking them - cant tell at all.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 at 4:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful photos of peacocks! Peacocks really fascinate me and I read in Greek mythology that they're also Goddess Hera's favourite animals.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 at 3:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your question:
Do any of you remember this song?
“WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE?”

Yes I remember this song. Sometime between the years 1968 and 1971, Barbara Bain sang this song on a TV show. She began to have tears towards the end of this song.

Michael

Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 9:39:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.