Tuesday, July 12, 2011
celebrating 80 - part 2

Here above, the two cakes that we served for my 80th Birthday Celebration.....I am crazy about both cakes and we always have them for 'The Ladies Who Lunch' and for my New Years Eve Party, too---I Am A Creature Of Habit, and I do believe in 'if-it-ain't-broke'----well, you know the rest..... Here they are above, having been cut into by Will, and having been partially served to every one....Below, a "close-up" of the Deep Dense Dark Decadent Delightful Chocolate Cake...... Yummmmmmm! And then, not too long after that....... The Lemon Meringue Cake was completely gone----and it was really big! And there wasn't that much left of the very rich Chocolate Cake. I understand people were going back for 2nd's and 3rd's, and I love that they were. ('Darlings, eat some more, please.....!') It warms my heart to know that people were so enjoying both of these delicious desserts! Of course, before all that happened, Will brought the cake to me so I could blow out the four little candles....Here below, the series of those pictures, as captured by different people with good cameras and bad...... Me, getting up to blow out the candles---Thank God and The Parks Family for this 'Walker-On-Wheels'---it had been Betty's, after she broke her hip---it has saved my life........ Me, above, just about to blow out those sweet little candles---and Happy to do so..... And then, before you know it---I am about to eat some of that Dee-licious Cake......Oh, My! That's Anne Leyden Sehres over on the left, then Dianne Travis, next to me, with Glenn behind us, with me about to take a bite out of that cake---and with Carole Cook on the other side of me....And here we are, below...... It looks like Carole is handing me the plate with cake..but, no....I am actually holding it and restraining myself from shoving my face into it while we both talk quite animatedly.....lol! Above.....me, No More Restraint---with a mouth full of cake....lol.....and dear Seemah, looking her always beautiful self......And then.......This was a "gag" photo, taken by my dear friend Glenn, but, not completely a 'gag'.....I certainly might have shoved my face into this fabulous cake that I adore so much....LOL...! And here below is Glenn, with Betty G.'s dear dear cousin, Carol Smith. Dear Cousin Carol (I feel like she is my cousin, too), flew down from San Jose, CA. just to come to my 80th Birthday Celebration....Thank you my dear friend.....And here below, more pictures of the wonderful loving sweet people who were here that day, helping me celebrate moving into this new decade...... That's Garrett Parks, (Betty's older son, and dear Carol's 'blood' cousin), talking to Seemah, and there again is Cousin Carol, kind of hidden behind a balloon string.....But, here below, a very sweet picture of Carol and Seemah.... Below........another one of these pictures that I just love, because you can see lots of people inside in the living room and outside on the deck, too........ Over on the left is my wonderful Gardener, Seven, and his very Beautiful wife, Juanita....then Michael Franks, kneeling in front of me, and Karen Culliver Parks, and Bridget Hanley, on the other side of me....Out on the deck: That is Garrett P. over on the left, looking out at the garden and the city....and then, my family---Sarah, Debbie and Danny, talking to Anne Leyden...and then, the Bartender behind Anne and over on the right side, I think that is Laurel, looking out at the mountain, and then Ivenia Ehling just almost out of the picture on her way inside..... A closer look at Michael Franks with me.....I kept telling everyone how long I have known Michael, continually embarrassing him because I kept saying that I was at his "briss" (In case some of you don't know what that is---it is the Jewish Ceremony of Circumcision).....and then 20 years ago, October, I officiated at Audrey & Michael's Wedding.....But, we go back even further than that: I met Michael's father, Danny, in 1954, before he, Danny, met Michael's Mother, Ruth......See, I find it so meaningful and comforting, too, that our family's and our friendship goes back 57 years---and here we are, still all very close...... Continuing on with this same group of people and pictures---Inside, that is Karen and Bridget sitting and talking, and way over on the right, my dear friend Shawn, who I mention quite often on my blog.....Outside: Garret looking out at the city, Sarah, Danny Debbie and I'm not sure who that is next to Danny...And then, the Bartender and then the very dear Joe Umbrino facing us inside, and then my 'Grand' Niece, Laurel......All of these pictures were taken by different people---some with those throw away cameras and some with their iPhones and BlackBerry's and, some with good old fashioned digital cameras.....! This picture of Tom Troupe and Carole Cook, long time friends, was taken with one of those 'crappy' cameras, I'm afraid. And, unfortunately I don't have one GOOD picture of the two of them together....But you see the problem! It looks like the Undertaker's Cosmetician has been at them....! And I am really heartbroken about that.....There is some video of them that is better, Thank God! You can see clearly the difference in a GOOD Camera and a BAD one, with this picture above....Maddy Parks, (Betty's Grand daughter), Dianne Travis, Andy Parks, (Maddy's Uncle, and Betty G's younger son), and dear Bridget H......There are still more pictures I want to share, so....there will be a Part 3 coming along next time.......




More To Come.........


Note: I want to acknowledge and thank with all my heart, my niece Debbie Cohen Strod, Audrey Franks, Lucy Cook, Bill Serhes and Glenn Washington for taking pictures with their personal phones and cameras---without them.....well, let's just say I would have been in deep deep doo doo......












30 Comments:
had this to say:

Some of the pictures maybe aren't of the best quality but the guest certainly are. What a great group that attended!! Of course I always look for Earl.
I haven't said it before but you really have a lovely place and perfect for a party with in and out gathering spots.
I would have been part of the demise of that lemon cake. I always drool when you all have it.
I am so glad there is "more to come".

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 3:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

wow, I don't think I ever saw so many people at your home !!! You do look as though you had a good time and that's what it's all about! I would have had to try both of those lucious looking cakes! I think you should have another 80th birthday party Naomi!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 3:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

These are great! You sure do know how to throw a party. (Maddy is so graceful and classy, it makes me sad for my niece. I think they are about the same age.) I'm so glad you had such a great day and got to spend it with so many wonderful people. I'm looking forward to part 3!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 3:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a happy crowd of people you are surrounded by Naomi! And each one of them so dear to you - the warmth with which you write about them is wonderful. Thanks for sharing these photos of your fabulous party. I have a starnge craving for delicious looking chocolate cake now! LoL!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 4:41:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi, you are so blessed to have so many wonderful friends. I'm so glad they celebrated with you!

Cheers.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 5:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I had to laugh out loud at your comment about the Undertakers Cosmetitian... yes, they do look a bit like that, but in spite of that, your pictures show a group of people who love you and who were enjoying the friendship and camaraderie of celebrating a very important milestone in your life. I would love to have been a "fly on the wall" listening to all those conversations going on at once. You are a luck lady to have so many friends and family who obviously think the world of you! Congratulations once again on your birthday.... 20 x 4 is a great age to be!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 5:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

One score for each candle.
Carol Cook looks the same as she did when I was a kid.
I love this funny sentence, "A closer look at Michael Franks with me.....I kept telling everyone how long I have known Michael, continually embarrassing him because I kept saying that I was at his 'briss'"....lol.
Now, I'm going to have to get something chocolate after seeing that fantastic cake.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 7:23:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Oh I love it, but you know, a party that size here with college students would have gotten loud and busted up by the cops. I'm so glad you had a full house for your 80th birthday. I also love the 2 cakes idea. I hate always having to settle on one, why should I?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 10:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great party - and it goes on and on....The pictures and commentary always make me feel like I am there..Unfortunately I didn't get any cake! Happy Happy Birthday Naomi. Many Many More!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 11:23:00 AM PDT 

Blogger J C
had this to say:

Naomi, what an absolutely wonderful party you had. I wish I had been there. Those "80" balloons just look like two huge doughnuts...yum....no doubt made with that same yummy cake recipe. Don't be eating them now!

Oh Happy Day Naomi!!!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 3:31:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous George Ehling
had this to say:

Dear Naomi
Thank you soo much for inviting Ivenia and I to your party. We both had a splended time.THe people were great te food and chocolate cake were eat, and the view is unbelievable! A perfect house for you! I must have talked to everone. Anybody that expressed interest in my mosaic madness. I invited them to drop by anytime. If it gives anyone a headache - take two asprins and call me in the morning.

Thank you again for a lovely memory.

Love George and Ivenia Ehling

P.S. I'm sorry we missed you and kim when you came to see the garage., My phone goes out sometimes (I think I need a new battery.) The other possibility is I was way up high on the property using my tile saw, in which case I can't hear the phone even though it's in my pocket. I wish Shawn had come up and knocked on the door. However, I will be down at the garage for at least a month or two working every day.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 4:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks like you had a beautiful day ful of wonderful friends ! try turning some of the pictures to black and white in aphoto program. it might get rid of the undertakers makeup ! LOL !

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 6:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so drooling over that chocolate cake. I came out of the daze of looking at that layered picture in time to read your Undertaker's Cosmetician observation about your friends, Tom Troupe's and Carole Cook's photo, and promptly choked on my drool! LOL

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 6:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

First of all both the rich chocolate cake and the lemon one are on my bucket list...must try each one before I kick that bucket!! They look fantastic and made my mouth water...and I LOVE lemon (almost as much as I adore chocolate!). :)

Looks like everyone that means something to you was there to help you celebrate a BIG birthday. I love that folks came from out of town, and I'm amazed that your friend of 57 years is still as close as ever with you. That's wonderful!!

I hope you celebrate many more birthdays, Naomi! You're looking fabulous, amiga! I can't believe you're 80!! Your spirit is younger than mine and you do look fantastic!

Love and hugs from Miami...xoxo

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 7:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You have such wonderful friends Naomi!! How lovely that they came out to help you celebrate! I enjoyed all the photos and those cakes...well...I was kind of drooling at those!!! Haha!! I love all those layers in that chocolate cake! Yum-O!!

I had to laugh at you embarrassing Michael Franks telling everyone you had been at his briss! I'm glad you said what it was, because I had no clue!! I'd be embarrassed too!!

I would have loved to talk to George about his tile house!! I think it's so fascinating!! I hope you get to go visit him soon, as I'd love to see more of it!

Okay, looking forward to the next part!! Hugs!!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 7:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I just discovered your blog and absolutely love it! How refreshing and fun you are!! I hope you don't mind a new reader. I certainly look forward to reading more of the old and lots of new.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 8:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

lol... did you save a piece of that wonderful looking multi-layer chocolate cake looks good. I am happy you had a fun party.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 8:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Even though some of the photos are crappy quality, they do make a good history of the day, and they show what wonderful friends you have and how much they care about you, Naomi!

That chocolate cake is calling my name!!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 9:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Delightful post, Naomi!!!

Yes, the cake photos have started my stomach grumbling and I may have to dash to the store for some chocolate cake!

The "briss" crack made me laugh out loud!

You know, without knowing too much of your health issues, I kinda assumed you couldn't have a lot of company, but your home is packed!
That brings a smile to my face :)

Much love to you, Naomi!

Stan

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 9:49:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

That's the sort of party I love. Everybody relaxed and having fun. Great that it's June and guests can spill out on to the balcony and look out at the fantastic view. I wonder if the neighbours came out to see where the fun was coming from.
And those two cakes are just temptation on a plate. Who could resist?

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 12:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful celebration! Goes to show you CAN have your cake and eat it, too.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 7:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It looks like such a full house and a blast ! I would have had seconds of the lemon cake. My eye went right to it. I have the same cake every year for my birthday too, specially made by a local baker, a carrot cake, which I also love to photograph. She decorates it with wile flowers. Joe usually gets me 2, one to share and one to savor. I freeze some.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 10:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi.... all those pictures and comments about chocolate cake made me decide to bake one, but I discovered that I didn't have the right ingredients, so I made a blueberry pie instead.... want some??? :-)

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 10:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the 80 balloons! But more than anything I love the way you were all enjoying the cakes so much, especially you!

What's also lovely is to see you in so many of the photos for a change!

I would have gone for the lemon cake! One of my favourites!

Clever idea having the paper plates too, that saved on the washing up! :D

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 12:07:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Well I am so happy we got these photos to look at!!! It was a lovely party and of course with delicious food and yummy,yummy cake! Great to see so many of your old dear friends and meet some new as well, I'm so grateful to have been there! Yay ....xoxo, Audrey

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 7:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

those balloons are amazing! love the gold

I haven't seen this perspective of your house
the deck is wonderful
all that light and air!!

hugs from me and Hope

Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 4:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks like a grand ol time and i have to say you dont look like your eighty.. I have to say you look like you are still in your sixties.. That is the guess i would put up if I hadnt known. I am glad you got the walker. those come in handy. I dont use them of course but do know people that do and they look wonderful for those that need them.. Take care my friend and hope you have many more wonderful b-days to celebrate with us..

Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 9:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely Birthday Party, dear Naomi! Those balloons are great, principally the golden!
I enjoy all pictures and looks a very happy party!
It's so great to have so many wonderful friends.
The cookies looks delicious and are very beautiful too.
Again, Happy Birthday dear friend.

Friday, July 15, 2011 at 8:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! It looks like quite a party!

Friday, July 15, 2011 at 5:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The chocolate cake is to die for Naomi! I almost swooned when I saw the the "close-up" photo. It's rich and very decadent! Love it!

Sunday, July 17, 2011 at 3:13:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.