Thursday, July 07, 2011
celebrating 80!

So.....finally, some Birthday Party Pictures!!! This one above, shot towards the end of the evening, was taken by my wonderful devoted Housekeeper/Friend, Lucy---She took some of the BEST Pictures on here.....I found this T-Shirt on the Internet and I fell in love with it.....I thought it was funny and the best part about it?---It Was Comfortable....! My dear sweet niece, Debbie, flew out from Boston, on the day of the party.....Her wonderful brother, Danny, drove down from Davis, CA. with one of his adorable daughters, Sarah, and his youngest other adorable daughter, Laurel, flew out from Chicago.....And here they are above, in front of my house.....Debbie, Sarah, Laurel and Danny.....I was deeply touched by the effort that they all made to get here and help me Celebrate this Big Big Day. And it enriched the day, no end, for me and for everyone who met them....Debbie and Danny are two of my beloved late sister Robin's children. So, here for the party were a niece and a nephew and two 'Grand' nieces, too..... Here is Laurel, above, with my dear dear 'sister' Kim....! And Kim really is like a sister to me, as was Betty.....Close dear friends are the family we choose, as they say.....Kim fits that to a "T"! Above....the Balloons on the ceiling, which is where they were on the afternoon of the 25th of June.....You already saw what they looked like the following day....lol....
Remember this picture below that I posted last time? It was from my 60th Birthday Party?Well, here we are twenty years later.....! I asked a lot of people to take a picture of Earl and me at the party---This was the best of the lot....I think we look pretty damn good considering we are both 20 years older....! There was another dear old friend here on Saturday, June 25th.... This picture above was taken with one of those crappy 'throw away' cameras---but, other than the fact that it is a truly terrible picture, I like it because Bernie and I seem engaged in an important conversation....And here we are below, in San Francisco, 1973, at the opening of my Art Show! Oh My God, we are pretty....! Well, it is thirty-eight years ago---We should be pretty! (lol)....A very important man in my life. A wonderfully talented painter and actor, and once upon a time, a fantastic football player, too.....We met in 1966 at The Ankrum Gallery---a Gallery dear to both our hearts, where we both 'showed', till it closed in 1990! Not as pretty....but not too bad....He looks better than I do, and that's not fair.....lol! It was really great to see him.....And there were other long time friends here, too---some I have not seen for a very very long time....Like Burt Robbins....I went to High School with him....He says he was at my house 15 or so years ago----I do not remember that, at all....I don't believe I have seen him for close to 60 years....! He was in Los Angeles, visiting his daughter, so I asked him to come over for the 'celebration'..... That's Burt sitting next to me, and Earl, next to him.....I believe that is the back of Burt's daughters head on the bottom right of this picture.....Burt sang the entire Great Neck High School "Fight" song, from beginning to end, remembering all the words.....! Amazing!! His dear departed sister Zoe, was a good good friend in High School....Above.....Darling, adorable, "original", Maxine Stuart, who turned 93 on June 28th....one day after my Birthday.....Still feisty and possessed of a wonderful Spirit----Funny and endearing and one of the great potty-mouths of all time....AND, one of the most talented actresses that has ever drawn breath! I took this picture of Maxine and her wonderful daughter Chrissy Maxwell, back in 1978...I did a whole series of photographs of Mothers & Daughters back then...and Maxine and Chrissy were a part of that photo-project.....Maxine is still as funny and full of life now, as she was back when I first met her in 1962....Another Theatre West connection..... Audrey Franks took a picture of the table before all the food was put out.....And then a bit later...... The food was out and people were digging in! The menu was a mixture of goodies---Fresh Fruit, Turkey Meat Balls, (Deee-licious....!) Mushroom Ravioli, (Yummmmmm), Chicken patties with a special sauce, (More Yummmmm), and a Fantastic Salad....There were H'ors D'euvres that were passed--like Crab Cakes, and some other goodies, and more goodies were on the Living Room glass table, too----Some Marinated Tofu that was the BEST tasting thing I've ever eaten, so, there was plenty of food, and it was, as always, fabulous---The Wonderful Will Grover and his crew, who you all know from 'The Ladies Who Lunch', did his 'magic'...... That is Kim over on the left, and Ivenia Ehling, (George's lovely wife), David Shine--good friend and Videographer, George Ehling in the red T-Shirt,---(The 'Tile House' Genius), and Audrey Franks in the white blouse.... Above, another of those crappy 'throw away' camera pictures---I am including it because it is the only picture of the glass table in the living room that shows some of the food----stupid to bother, I know....lol. Believe or not, that is Bridget H. on the couch, Garrett and Maddy Parks on the blue chair, and Earl H. sitting next to her, with David Shine behind with his Video Camera.....Above, a little bit better picture of Bridget's back and Garrett & Maddy's front......There were a lot of people at the party.....here below, some more pictures of those people---the first one, with me........ From left to right....my darling nephew Danny, Bernie C. Me, and the wonderful Joe Umbrino....... Leslie Caveny, Katy Melody, Maxine, and Seemah's back in the blue jacket and Kim and Juanita Lopez, my dear Gardener's wife....I love the flow of this picture---you can see people out on the deck as well as all the Balloon strings hanging down..... Audrey Franks talking to Dianne Travis, way in the background, Shawn, talking to my nephew Danny; Kim talking to George Ehling, And David Ankrum---Joan Ankrum's son, who I have known since he was almost a teen-ager,1961,----talking to me; David Shine talking to my 'Grand' Niece, Sarah; and in the fore-ground, the beautiful talented Karen Culliver Parks, wife of Garrett, mother of Maddy and daughter-in-law of Betty G. There is Karen with Michael and Audrey Franks....(Another oddly colored picture from the 'crappy' throw aways....). There were four couples that I married---was the 'officiant' at, that is---at my party.....Two of those couples, coming on twenty years, are Karen & Garrett, and Michael & Audrey---who were married two weeks apart back in 1991! Both Weddings were very meaningful to me, because I go back so far with the Parks Family, (1962) and The Franks Family, (1954)........The second of these Party Posts will be coming along here, next time......






More To Come.......









NOTE: Stan....my new fan...I wish I knew how to write you and thank you for your kind and lovely words....Can you leave me your email if you comment again..write out "DOT" and "COM".....Thank you so so sooo very much for such encouraging words...at 80 years old, it feels really good to be encouraged in this way! (lol)







24 Comments:
had this to say:

Thanks for the heads up Naomi. Your new posts don't show up on my blog list and I have to hunt you down.
I love that shirt and you really look wonderful in green.
Wow did you have a house full. Now that is a party.
Loved the picture of all the balloons where they belong ha ha.
You have such a good officiating record. You must be in demand.
Glad to see that "more to come."

Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 12:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! What a great celebration. My niece is down from Portland and you've convinced me I haven't gone to near enough trouble for she and her husband. They light up my life- just as I see your friends do.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 12:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks like a glorious time, Naomi! Thanks so much for sharing the photos!!

Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 1:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

For 80 you still know how to party! What a fantastic celebration. I've said it before but it's worth repeating: it just shows how loved you are and how much you man to folk. Glad you had such a great time. Love it! :)

Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 4:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh my goodness, so many guests at your party, I can hardly keep track of who is who! How wonmderful for you to have so many good friends and family come to help you celebrate your 80th. It's too bad that the throwaway cameras didn't come up to par, but all the other pictures are great. It all looks like so much fun. Happy memories!

Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 4:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so glad you were able to celebrate BIG with the people who mean the most to you and I love, Love, LOVE the shirt! LOL

Btw, you DO look that good!!

The pictures, even the ones you think are crappy, show what a good time was had by all. Thanks for sharing all those fun moments. My favorite pic is the one with the balloons and streamers and people all about, even out in the balcony...and the ones of you and Bernie "through the years..."

I also think it was a wonderful idea to take mother/daughter photos. I should try something like that and call it a "project" so my daughter will allow herself to be photographed. She hates pics, if you haven't noticed (she rarely appears on my blog).

Once again, thanks for sharing your special day. Eighty is a big one my friend and I wish you a VERY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!

Hugs from Miami...♥...Ileana xo

Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 5:56:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Wow, you got the tile guy to come to your house? You just make friends wherever you go, don't you? :-) I am so amazed and happy that so many people traveled so far to spend this day with you. That gives you an idea of how important you are to people. You are living a very rich life, you should be pleased with the number, quality and longevity of your friendships.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 6:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You had a real party! Everyone looks relaxed and they look like they are really enjoying themselves. Green looks good on you.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 8:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! We have had quite a week here in Phoenix with that massive dust storm that came through 2 nights ago, but seeing your note to me made my heart beat faster. I'm not sure which was cooler!!!

My email: sedonastan@yahoodotcom

I just loved seeing so many people in your home! I especially loved the pics of Earl. You know, I was probably 11 years old when "Police Woman" started, and of course I loved Angie, but I was really looking at Earl. Ha! I was too young to know why at the time. How nice to see that he is still so damned good-looking. Boy, he's got good genes and he always had that great chin!!!

I called my mom today. I was reading your posts about Larry Parks and asked her if she remembered him. The first thing out of her mouth, I kid you not, was, "Oh My God, he was SO good in The Al Jolson Story". The second thing she said was "You know he was married to Betty Garrett". When I told her that Betty had passed she grew silent. It really upset her. She didn't believe me. Somehow, she had missed it in the papers. I thought if someone who had never met Betty is this upset then Naomi's heart must have broken in two. I wanted to reach through the internet and hug you. And then hug you again.

Yeah, I'm not going anywhere. I decided last night that instead of reading random posts that I would start at the beginning and just let it unfold as you wrote it. Chris (my husband) reads books before bed and I am reading your words, a month at a time.

In my mind, and in my heart, I am sending you a big hug.

Stan

Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 10:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You know in that photo of you and Earl, neither of you have changed much! You both look good!

I love that t-shirt on you too, it's funny. :D Great colour.

Nice to see the balloons on the ceiling this time! It looks like you had loads of people there too! And everyone is having fun.

So you weren't impressed with the quality of the instant cameras even though they look cute? :D

I'm glad you had a wonderful day, you deserve it, and I hope you have a wonderful year too!

Friday, July 8, 2011 at 1:01:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Your pictures - even the 'crappy' ones capture the spirit of the occasion. Everybody looks so animated and how wonderful to have all ages there. Great that family should make that journey just for you. The house must have been buzzing.
I'm glad you have a great 'Team Naomi' to help you.

Friday, July 8, 2011 at 2:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

you brought a smile to my face this morning! love your tshirt, but most of all love seeing you having such a wonderful time and seeing all those around you! I really love the photo of you and Earl (now and then) shot!! you both look fabulous!!!!!

I would say that you celebrated wonderfully!!!!..and that made me smile!

Friday, July 8, 2011 at 3:06:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Looks like a blast! I hope the cops didn't have to break things up because they were getting too wild!

(On second thought, as we said in college, "It's not a party until the police show up.")

BTW, you do look fabulous. Well done, dear.

Cheers.

Friday, July 8, 2011 at 5:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh wow - looks like a fabulous party Naomi - so glad we've seen a sneak peek into your celebrations. So many people love you, this shows by the photos.

The tshirt you wore was very 'you' and the colour looks great on you. I so cannot believe that you are 80! Wow. You have aged sooo well, what's your secret?? =)

Friday, July 8, 2011 at 5:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, you looks beautiful and very happy!
Happy Birthday again!
Love seeing your party and your lovely family and friends together in this great commemoration!
Thanks for sharing this Wonderful Day!
(((Many hugs)))

Friday, July 8, 2011 at 10:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, it is always fun to see your party posts, and this one is especially nice - even though the photos are not up to your usual standards.

Friday, July 8, 2011 at 12:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a bash and I love your T-shirt! Love those before and after shots. The throw-away cameras look like they got submersed in water. Honestly they usually do better. I love that your niece and nephew came and it looks like it was a great turnout.

I probably told you this but my dear friend Alwyn would never tell her age and when she turned 80 she started bragging about it! I think she felt like she deserved to and she did.

Friday, July 8, 2011 at 3:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You look radiant! And I love that shirt :)

I'm so glad that so many friends and family came to visit for your special day!

Friday, July 8, 2011 at 7:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved seeing the photos and reading more about your party! I love the shirt and you do look great!!! I'm glad so many came to the party and to help you celebrate.

The food sounds delightful! I'll be looking forward to more photos and more about the party! Hugs!!

Saturday, July 9, 2011 at 1:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You really look good in your green shirt – you are glowing. Happiness keeps people young and it shows in your photos. Your house, the food, and the decorations were outstanding – what a happy time for all. It makes everyone happy just to read your post and see how much fun you had on your birthday.

Monday, July 11, 2011 at 5:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Belated happy birthday. It looks like you all had a wonderful day. I hope the year ahead will be a good one for you.

Monday, July 11, 2011 at 8:48:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Laura
had this to say:

Dear Naomi,
A belated Happy Birthday! I love reading your posts. This was a wonderful surprise reading about your birthday party. You are loved!
A joyful new year for you,
Laura

Monday, July 11, 2011 at 5:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your teeshirt :)

Friday, July 15, 2011 at 5:53:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Sorry we missed it. I love the then and now photos you threw in.

Dianna

Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 4:51:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.