Saturday, July 30, 2011
a visit with george

A week ago Saturday, my friend Glenn and I went up to visit George Ehling at his home--now known as "The Tile House", because of my posts about him and his amazing creation....For those of you new to this, there a number of posts with pictures, in the Archives......Start here.......and work your way through the rest of March April May and into June, 2010....I think I did 11 or 12 posts about this fantastic work of art! For 44 years, George has been creating these magnificent Mosaic designs that cover the whole outside of his house as well as the inside....Here below, just a few examples to remind you of the incredible talent of George Ehling....... This is just a little reminder of all the incredible work that George has done over these 44 years.....I have taken probably 700 plus pictures of 'The Tile House'.....George even tiled the outside of the Garages.....! But, I noticed that he had not tiled the inside of the garages, and I actually mentioned that to him after I met him.....Taking a closer look below...... Well....that was then. This is now, below! George told me I inspired him when I mentioned the interior of the two Garages. And so, when he finished another enormous and monumental area in the back of his house---he began on those two small Garages......Here.....look! This is one of the panels---there are 5 panels that are 8 feet by 8 feet in the second (2nd) and more complex of the two Garages.....We will see some more pictures of this 2nd Garage, a bit later...Below, here is the first Garage...... Let me say, that George is not really happy with what he did in this Garage. He said that his wife wanted him to finish it as fast as possible...so, I don't think he did what he might have done....Yet, there is something quite peaceful and beautiful about what he did do....I love that he tiled the floor as well----in both Garages, by the way.....George said, that Ivenia, (George's dear beautiful wife), wanted him to finish this Garage as soon as possible---she doesn't like all the mess that goes with the cutting of the tiles---especially, in her Garage, and she wanted to be able to park her car back in the Garage ASAP, as opposed to parking it on the street! So he was pretty far along on that first Garage when Glenn and I were up there for our visit......!And, he was working in the 2nd Garage, as we got there......So, I was taking pictures of George, while Glenn was taking pictures of me taking pictures of George and the newly tiled walls of that 2nd Garage...... The door between the two Garages is a storage space where the Ehlings keep a lot of "stuff"......I don't think George is going to 'tile' that small area----too difficult to put everything that's in there, somewhere else, even temporarily---but you never know..... This first 8 X 8 section that you see in this picture above, is so very complex and so very beautiful, too..... George was pointing something out to me as I continued to take pictures---and then I noticed on the top interior wall of the Garage---at the entrance, which nobody will probably ever see---George had been filling in with little one-inch pieces of tile that he had cut from lots of left-over larger pieces of tile---creating a very random design....... You can see that some of it has been grouted and some of it has not, as of yet, but it will be soon, if he hasn't done it already. And once the grout has been filled in, these little random pieces will stand out even more......Back to a closer look at the 8X8 panel we were looking at....... I love these circular 'wheels' within the whole....... I took a short little Video of George talking about this particular panel, and I hope it shows up here.....





There will be a part 2 coming along here next time......



More To Come............









28 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I am reading this with my computer sitting on a tile coffee table you made, Naomi, that we took from Bob and Robin's house. Your friend's tile work is wonderful and eccentric. I love it.

DIanna

Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 4:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those mosiacs are amazing! :)

Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 5:09:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I never tire of seeing photos of that wonderful tile work. Please tell him thanks for letting you share is marvelous home with the rest of us.

Cheers.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 8:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Amazing!!!!!!!!!! I admire his gift!! And blessings upon you for sharing his art with us!!!

Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 12:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, love this reportage with many beautiful new photos. So great to see close up of the details of the house. I remember well the fantastic posts you did before about the amazing "The Tile House". George Ehling is really a great artist! And his house I think it's an "artist work in progress."
I remember also that the beautiful wife of George, Ivenia, is Brazilian, isnt'? And their son is a pianist, am I right?
Thanks for sharing those wonderful post, Naomi!
Have a nice Sunday.
Many hugs.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 2:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The mosaics are truly amazing and inspirational, especially if George makes up all his own original designs as well!

I do so admire people with artistic talent. I know that like everything else in life, it can more than likely be learned given time, but I just don't seem to have the time, patience or creativity to get started!

Thanks so much for sharing,

Yvonne

Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 2:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

See what an influence you are Naomi. Just mention and it is done. Pretty sure his wife is scared to see you come by for fear of what else he will tackle at your suggestion. Kidding of course.
This man is a treasure and I am sure he really enjoys showing off his efforts to some one who really appreciates.
Looking forward to "more to come"
Thanks again for the heads up.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 3:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Just...Wow! That is amazing! I love how he even did the floors too. He certainly doesn't do anything halfway, does he?

Such beautiful stuff! I liked the video too - it's always neat to hear people!

Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 7:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Such talent. I've enjoyed every post you've done about George. Truly an artist...

Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 8:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have never seen tile work until visiting here.. They are amazing works of art my friend.. He is a wonderful person to learn from. Thanks for sharing him and his work with us.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 9:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Just LOVE this story which I have followed from the start. HE inspired YOU, now you have inspired HIM---this is why I live.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 9:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am pretty sure that you'll enjoy my future posts - saw a lot of Antoni Gaudi mosiacs in Barcelona - and myself having a ceramic background, just loved it all - a lot like George's home. Awesome.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 12:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

George is a dedicated artist, and so talented. I love his designs, I'd love to be able to see that house in person. Cutting, installing and grouting all those tiles must be very hard work.
You are so lucky to have such a talented friend.
P.S. no twins yet.... but very soon!

Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 4:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I remember your posts about George and loving all the pictures with his beautiful tile designs and now you bring us these closeups, a more personal look at his work, and I thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the photos! He is quite an artist...and you, my friend, have the gift of storytelling with pictures. It was fun seeing the photos of you taking pictures...kind of a behind the scenes look at what you do. Thanks for sharing, amiga, and Happy Sunday!! xo

Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 7:58:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

How wonderful that you inspired him to do the garages. I really like the green tile in the very back of the first garage. I also like the simplicity of that garage. Sometimes you want simple, peaceful, or in his wife's case, done in a hurry. How great that you were able to get down there to see his new work. I'm so glad he knows his work is appreciated. I love all that beautiful tile. Keep the posts and hopefully movie clips coming!

Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 8:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Good evening, Naomi!

I am so glad you showcased George's incredible home. I will go back and visit your past posts on him.

I LOVE his home! I first saw his home on Youtube and thought,wow, this guy is really good. Funny...I didn't like the House of Davids at all, but flipped for George's place. Part of that is his use of color. I found all of the white in the House of David's too blah. White statues, white fence, white, white, white. And then you see George's place and it is full of color, so full of life. The video on Youtube shows his shower, which is awesome. I could totally live in his house!!!!

I love the name Ivenia......I had imagined an older southern belle. Girls aren't named names like Ivenia anymore.......simply lovely.

Isn't George older than you? How/where does he get the energy?!? He has more energy than most 50 year olds I know. Good for him!!!

Thanks for this post, Naomi. I hope and pray that I get to grow older with my friends. You are a rich woman :)

XXX
Stan

PS...I love George's Harrison Ford story. I'm sure he has told it a bazillion times, but it's charming.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 8:45:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

It's so sweet that he took up your idea and what a great difference it has made - and no doubt given him great pleasure. He must have blessed you. And I expect Ivenia blessed you too. After all if one's husband is happy - we're all happy.

Monday, August 1, 2011 at 2:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

His art is so colorful and alive – what an artist! The garage looks great and I am pleased you suggested it. Another wonderful post Naomi to show us your world – artistic, vibrant and plain beautiful.

Monday, August 1, 2011 at 10:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oh my dear lady! what a wonderful post of this intriguing and talented artist! and very ironic as just after reading your previous post, there was something about the comment of his that had me wanting to know more of him and his work and voila' i found numerous articles online - and i confess that the harrison ford story is one i have repeated several times to friends already - how captivating these stories! thank you so much for them all!

i hope your day holds you gently -

Monday, August 1, 2011 at 10:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I LOVE what he did in the garage
the rather muted hues with the circle splashes of bolder pattern and color are wonderful

he's such a talented man

Monday, August 1, 2011 at 5:10:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I can appreciate all of the time and effort that has gone into such an undertaking.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 5:54:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I love the more simple design on the one side wall with the contrasting complexity of the center wall. They are just lovely.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 6:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I marvel at the beauty of these mosaics. I continue to be amazed at how creativity manifests.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 6:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This never ceases to amaze me. My favorite shot is the one that shows you briefly with George pointing at a mosaic.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 at 6:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I remember you posted about this house way back. I bet that house was already featured on different home magazines!

Friday, August 5, 2011 at 3:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, I love all this tile stuff. George is so talented!! I wonder if he has to lay out a plan on paper before he does it? Surely he can't just do that as he goes along?? It's all so intriguing to me and incredibly beautiful! I'd love to watch him working on it.

I enjoyed the video too! Just amazing what he has accomplished over the years! I'm off to read the next part!!! :)

Sunday, August 7, 2011 at 7:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The complexity and variety of his designs amazes me!!

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 4:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I always wanted to do one of those mosaic outdoor tables with an iron framework. In fact I bought the tiles to do it in Italy on the Isle of Capri a few years ago. I still have them in a box. Maybe, just maybe George has inspired me to do soemthing with them finally. He looks great and fit too and no wonder.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 at 5:01:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.