Sunday, August 09, 2009
seemah's birthday lunch - part 2

Then it was time to go to the table.....Lunch was ready. To be precise, our soup was ready....! Another little bit of a change. We have never had soup for any of our Ladies Who Lunch before. I had the idea again, because of Kim's dental problems...... This particular soup is a Roasted Bell Pepper and Tomato Puree---perfect for someone struggling with chewing....And it happens to be addictive----it is Soooooo Goooooood! It happens to come from a place in my neighborhood that makes delicious soups and sandwiches and many other goodies---including fantastic Brownies and their own Gelato, and they deliver! So when Kim needed to be able to eat something, I thought that starting with this soup would be great for everyone! It also gave me the opportunity to use some more of my beautiful China collection.....Aren't these sweet? I don't remember where I found these---in some Antique/Thrift shop somewhere, 40 or more years ago.....They are Wedgwood and I have just eight of them, and no other dishes in this pattern...... Then we had a little bit of a respite while Will cleared the table getting ready to serve our Main Course....As always, we never seem to run out of things to talk about...... And what is really nice is that everyone listens to each other....everyone is interested in everyone else....I love that!There wasn't enough time to open our "Gift Bags" between the Soup and the Main, so that came later..... And here we are. The "Original" Cobb Salad, as it was made at the very famous Brown Derby Restaurant here in Hollywood---now, long gone. It was always finely chopped and that included the Avocado---Will put the Avocado on the side, as you can see....but otherwise this was the real authentic Cobb Salad, including the Original Dressing, too. Here is a better picture of the Salad.....I find it so strange that there are all these restaurants who serve a so called "Cobb Salad" that has no relation to the "original", whatsoever. Why call it a "Cobb Salad" at all, then? (lol).....And the thing is, if you have ever had the "original" it's The Best, and something you never forget.I used to go to The Brown Derby a lot and one of the most favorite meals there for me was this Beautiful delicious Salad.....You can find this recipe on-line, including the Dressing.....It is more than worth the trouble it takes to chop it, believe me!Will made the portions sooooo very big that no one could finish their Salad, but Will made up little 'care' packages for each person so they could take the Salad home with them, and I am happy to say, they all did take those little packages.....Then.....time for our Gift Bags! Here below is a close look at that "Star Wand".....I had these about two years ago for another Birthday Lunch and many Grandchildren loved them because they light up....So I thought it would be fun to have them, once again...... And of course, because the theme was being a Princess, there was a Frog Prince included....... And then there was a little Princess Cup......Pink, of course....lol! And, as you may have seen in the teaser post, there were very dear pretty colored Crowns.....Here below is the Birthday Girl wearing hers.There were some cute little Butterfly Sun Glasses that were in the bags, too....And people seemed to find them kind of fun! Here is Dianne below.....wearing her Crown and her Glasses, too...... And below.....Jacquie is modeling a little bit of the Jewelry....There was a pretty little bracelet and some rings, too..... The light Lime Green Ring was from my Birthday Celebration.....She decided to wear it not know there would be other rings....It is hard to see in this picture above, but there was a "Crown" Ring and a Flower Ring....You can see the Flower Ring on Lee's little Pinkie Finger of her right hand and Seemah had hers on her third finger of her right hand.....Lee has the The Crown Ring on her other hand, but you can't really see it too well.....So, here are those rings below......Both these rings came in four different colors and the Crown Ring in somewhat other styles and colors, too.....They looked really good on people's fingers....Better than they had a right to look (lol), particularly the Flower Rings......Stay tuned for Part 3..........





More To Come.......















20 Comments:
had this to say:

loving the pictures, but you knew I would! Got to love the frog prince!! (that's about what my prince would look like if he ever came around! lol)

Sunday, August 9, 2009 at 3:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I kept checking to see if you had posted this. Enjoyed it so. I love your crockery, very pretty indeed and its a good thing you got to use it too.

I must try the salad as I have never had it ever - and it seems as though I am missing out on something. Everyone always looks to be having such great fun and as you say, everyone listens to each other - what wonderful friends you must be. Thanks for sharing Seemah's lunch and I look forward to the next part Naomi.

Hope your ant problem is a thing of the past.

Sunday, August 9, 2009 at 4:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I can't tell you how much I enjoy the party pictures. I always feel like I'm there. And do tell the ladies I remember ALL of them from the days when I was younger and watching TV!
Lee Meriweather was beautiful then and she is now!

Sunday, August 9, 2009 at 9:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Now THAT'S a Cobb Salad...and yes, I'm craving one just like that right this second, even with the avacado on the side...I'll take it! Seems that anything coming from Will's hands is going to be good. He does NOT disappoint, does he? The soup sounds and looks delicious as well and I love the look of your fine China. It's beautiful!

You all know how to eat, slurp and be merry! The flower rings look like fun and they'd go perfect with the butterfly sunglasses!

I'm happy to hear there'll be a Part 3. I'll be back for that!

Sunday, August 9, 2009 at 10:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi!! I'm just now reading part 1 and 2, and I'm excited that there will be a part 3!!

The food looks so good and I'd sure love to try that Cobb Salad! I'll have to look for the recipe online. I have eaten Cobb salads in restaurants but I'm sure it doesn't compare to the original one!

I'm sorry about your ant problems. How dare them to appear when you have guests!! As you might recall, I posted about our ant problem earlier this year. The stuff I got from Lowe's seems to have done the trick (I'll knock on wood!). Ants can be so annoying and this year I've heard of SO MANY people complaining of them.

I loved all your pictures! The china is lovely. I adore pretty china and things seem to taste better served in lovely china!! :)

What a wonderful party and a fun time!! Seemah sure does not look her age at all!!

Monday, August 10, 2009 at 7:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! It's great seeing the "Seemah's Birthday Lunch Part 2"! The menu looks delicious! Really I would like to be there with you and your friends. Sounds it was a lovely party.
I am looking forward to see the Part 3!

Have a nice week ahead.

Monday, August 10, 2009 at 7:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The food looked delicious and your gift bags like so much fun. How neat for all you ladies.

Monday, August 10, 2009 at 8:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I always love seeing the art on your walls too ... the little black-and-white watercolor of a young girl in the first photo is so sweet.

Monday, August 10, 2009 at 10:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

fantastic! i love birthday parties the most! xoxox

Monday, August 10, 2009 at 4:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What I noticed about this party is how colourful it was!

Monday, August 10, 2009 at 4:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

All of you seem to have so much fun! I can't wait to see if you were able to use the BS bags this time....lol
I've had Cobb salad, but not from the Brown Derby, so I suppose what I had was not the original recipe.

Monday, August 10, 2009 at 5:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This is such a colourful celebration Naomi and Seemah looked so radiant despite her age and that goes with all the ladies who lunched with you too :D

Monday, August 10, 2009 at 6:55:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Oh, everything just looked so fantastic! Um, except the avocados, I'm highly allergic to them.

Monday, August 10, 2009 at 7:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

oh how very fun indeed! love the party favors and trinkets. Everyone seems to just love the care you take of it all

Monday, August 10, 2009 at 8:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Always a delight to read about the b-days here.. Hope you all really had fun. i am going to bed now. Talk to you soon.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 5:05:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Nice to visit here.
Barbara

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 9:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That Frog Prince cracked me up!! Looks like he's been kissed a fair few times!

All the photos look great! I've never been a fan of soup, but yours looks very tasty.

My mother loves Wedgewood china too.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 6:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The "princess" theme is too cute and you did a fine job with accessories! Sparkly things are always good!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 7:57:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Ohhhhh! I have to wait for the dessert.
What amazes me Naomi is how you manage to organise all this when getting around is difficult for you. Your organisation skills would put many big businesses to shame . And it is all a labour of love. I'm sure those ladies know how very luck y they are to have you as a friend.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 10:30:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I am really having fun just watching the pictures and the Cobb Salad looks mouthwatering. I wanna make something like that.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 3:25:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.