Wednesday, July 08, 2009
ladies who lunch-part 3

Our Menu for the day was Quiche...not Lorraine, but a beautiful mixture which included Mushrooms and Zucchini, plus the usual eggs and cheese...It was fabulous, fantastic, and it tasted pretty damn good, too...... Along with the Quiche, we had a delicious Salad--Butter Lettuce, Pears, Caramelized Walnuts and Crumbled Roquefort Cheese....GREAT Combination, with a light Vinaigrette Dressing.....plus, some wonderfully fresh baked Croissants and Butter.....You must have butter with Croissants because it enhances the already rich flavor.....(lol)! You wouldn't know from this picture above that anything much was happening in the kitchen....The Magic Of Will Grover! But, indeed, he does work his magic and brings it all to the table for all of us to partake in and deeply enjoy! I love freshly baked Croissants and that's why we have them so often at these Ladies Who Lunch.....And I also love Quiche! And I must say, all the Ladies seem to, as well----especially Betty, because this Lunch is really her Breakfast...So, it is a good choice on every level.....We ate heartily and then it was time for The Birthday Cake! This is the cake I always get from Sweet Lady Jane's and I couldn't get over the fact that they had used colors this time around that fit soooo perfectly with my color scheme for the table....I mean, look at the side....Pinks and Lavenders and Blues.....Serendipity, for sure, cause no one told them what I was going to do, color-wise, cause I didn't know myself, till the day before, except I knew the Gift Bags were Lavender........ As I mentioned in the first Birthday Post, Jacquie Scott's Birthday was two days before mine, so we were celebrating her "day", too....Hence, her name is on the cake...... I always have Will get a special non-chocolate dessert for Dianne because she has had a problem with chocolate in the past...(She had a delicious Fruit Tart...) But she told me just two days ago that she no longer has a problem with my favorite food-----So, next time, she will not need a special non-chocolate dessert...Hooray for Dianne! All the ladies seem to really love this very rich rather decadent cake, and I'm glad cause I am crazy about it, myself......Oh, and see the Lei's around every one's neck? They too, were in the Gift Bags...... Annie really enjoyed the cake and of course, we have to have our coffee. Regular and Decaf. As my long time readers know, I love love love...China! Those yellow hand-painted cups---I've had them since the mid 1960's....! So very very pretty....Frankly, I think everything tastes better when it is served in pretty china and glassware....don't you? There was a lot of serious eating of sugar! But also, as always, a lot of laughs were had by all......! We do have a very good time with each other....You know, when you all have known each other for such a long long time....some of us almost 50 years.....(I have known Jacquie for 48 years, and Annie and Betty for 47 years.....).... Seemah is the late-comer in the group, for me....I've only known her 34 years....(lol)....Both Dianne and Kim for 40 years, and Bridget for 39 years.....So, because of working together as well as the social aspect, we do have a lot of shared experience, plus a kind of short hand that has developed over time....It is really wonderful and means a great deal to all of us, I think! We have all shared wonderful times of great happiness and terrible times of great loss and tragedy....plus working together in endeavors we all love with all our hearts----well, all these things bond you in ways that words cannot describe...... Then, it was time to move into the living room and open the cards....I had told everyone that I didn't want any presents....none---not a one. (Unless it was consumable.....lol)...."Please", I said, "don't give me any things....I have too many "things", now....just bring me yourselves.....", and that is what everyone did.....So, here are a couple of the cards....... This was probably the prettiest card with the loveliest sentiment on it....This was from Seemah....And what she wrote inside was beautiful, thoughtful and very loving....She also included a piece by a women named Ellen Bass, which I will share with you, at a later time.....Suffice it to say, it touched me deeply..... Above, a closer look at the "printed" words on this card.....Seemah's personal words were just that....and I will keep it that way, but just know, her words meant everything to me, especially during this extremely difficult time in my life. The understanding of these sweet dear friends, means everything to me. Everything. This was Annie's card to me.....again, her personal words will stay personal, except for this----She said, "I am as sad as this pup because you are sad-----". Indeed, indeed.
I will share one more card with you which I thought was one of the funniest cards I've ever seen. This from Bridget. If you read it out loud---be sure to be forceful and a little bit put-out! I read it out loud. And the laughter in my living room could be heard in Vancouver! (Maybe even in Alaska.....), and all the way down to San Diego, and points South.......


More To Come........



Note: I know you probably feel I am stretching this out...well, it was my Birthday, and I want to share it with you in my way.....Yes, my dear dears, the "papers" will be explained and revealed---all in good time sweet special blog friends......Like everything else I do, I must do it in my own way and my own time....The Beauty Of Blogging.....The Beauty of Being Oneself.....May all of you, as Shakespeare said, always be "To Thine Own Self Be True"......

Michael Jackson was remembered and his life Celebrated yesterday in a very touching ceremony here in Los Angeles. My belief? After all is said and done, what will be remembered and cherished is his music and his true greatness as a spectacular and unique performer.....REST IN PEACE, MICHAEL JACKSON













34 Comments:
Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I love your decadent chocolate cake!! it looks like a piece of art too.
What a wonderful lunch with the ladies.

I watched MJ Memorial and was very touched... particularly by the words of two beauties: Brooke S and his daughter. Beautiful.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 12:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful food and great company with such dear friends. It's incredible how long you have known each other. That's a lot of experiences to share as well.

I have a collection of pretty cups and saucers too. I agree, things look better served in something pretty.

I thought Michael Jackson's ceremony was very dignified and so well done. It was lovely to see his whole family together like that and of course his daughter, wow, it really hit home that three little people have lost the only parent they know. Heart breaking.

Looking forward to the next part.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 2:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

As usual Naomi, you ladies eat well and have a good time together.... The cake looks wonderful and I am sure it tasted just as good as it looked.... Love your kitchen.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 3:31:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

A beautiful luncheon, food, cards, cake, table and guests! Once again, you have outdone yourself in presentation.

Michael Jackson: I think most everyone was glued to the TV for a most wonderful Memorial tribute. He will be missed but he left his mark on this world and will live on through that.

Thanks for sharing your birthday in parts....it really makes it special and zooms in on the parts you want us to see in particular.

Anne

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 3:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

the great "whats the paper mystery"! lol..

as always I love these posts ! So stretch it out as long as you want Naomi!! I can tell aleady that you had another great birthday and that's what's important!

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 3:53:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

"Roquefort Cheese," you say? I'm so in.

BTW, I love how you ladies are always smiling. Such wonderful faces.

Cheers.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 5:09:00 AM PDT 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

Naomi,
i haven't posted a comment in quite a while but i DO keep up with every post in my Google Reader! i have adored every post since i began reading your blog quite some time ago (i'm thinking it's been at least a couple of years now).
for some reason, every time i read your posts i get this deep, significant pull way down in the depths my heart, tugging, tugging, tugging. then i usually have to dab at my eyes at the very least.
what is it about you and your posts huh?
i hope with all the faith i can muster that this "difficult" time of which you speak is cleared up and eradicated as soon as possible. Not know the details isn't an issue at all, besides, it isn't my business. But I will admit that I feel a bit protective of you and because you are hurting, I want to shelter you and comfort you. With the miles between us, my shelter and comfort will have to come in spirit as I keep you in my heart and my mind.
All my best you and your amazing friends.

PS. I got a litle jolt there when I saw my "almost" name on the cake with yours! LOL

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 6:26:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Everything looked great, food and cake included. I love your china too. You know, it's getting really difficult to find cups and saucers unless you spend a fortune on china. All the new dish sets come with coffee mugs, not cups and saucers. I spent the last year going to flea markets, yard sales, and antique shops picking up cups and saucers for when we have coffee or tea after our progressive dinners. It's funny how the common people and their dishware manufacturers have done away with cups and saucers. I like them. It doesn't have to be fancy, but it is more formal and I want my guests who come for dinner to know their presence is special and they deserve nice china and old fashioned (apparently) formalities like dressing for dinner, proper table manners and cups and saucers doggone it! :-)

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 6:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oh my gosh the food looks soooo good, I am hungry! Love the cards too, the most practicle gift at my age also, not unless its gold! LOL Still waiting for the change of clothes!! The ladies have something up their sleeves!!

MJ memorial was very touching, I did two blog on it.

Waiting for part 4!!

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 10:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

More lovely photos, Naomi. I noticed that Lee wasn't there this time. Hope she is okay.

I love your sunny yellow cups - and of course, the cobalt glasses are very special.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 11:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You are describing such a wonderful day, the food, the setting but most of all the long time friends. Thanks for sharing it with us

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 12:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'd like a piece of that cake! Looks great! Well all the photos look lovely.

I couldn't agree more about Michael Jackson. I've read some quite hurtful comments about him on other blogs, but to me he was an amazing talent, and he will be missed. My heart goes out to his 3 kids, who obviously adored him.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 1:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so glad that Dianne can enjoy chocolate again!! That is a true blessing!!!! Hooray!!!!!! I'd be depressed if I couldn't have chocolate, so I rejoice for her and with her!!
Your cake was amazing to look at, and I am sure it was amazing to eat too.
Will is a real blessing to you. What a great job he does serving your guests. I enjoyed getting to meet him and talk to him a bit. He is one special guy! He seems to enjoy it, and he made the evening we had with you that time very nice, relaxed, and perfectly lovely.
No gifts could have taken the place of the simple presence of your dearest friends gathering to celebrate YOU!! What a great party!
Keith and I watched the MJ memorial service. It was a classy event, I thought. I have a great memory between my son and I that I credit to MJ and his fantastic music. I plan to share about it on my blog one of these days.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 3:58:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I am drooling and could eat it all right now at bed-time.
I love blowing the pictures up and having a virtual tour of your house. Is that lovely photo on the right of the side board a photo of you?
You are as naughty as MTL who also has butter with croissant and anything else he fancies.
I love all the cups and saucers but the yellow are my favourite. The whole house is a riot of gorgeous colour which must lift everyone's spirits.
I'm really trying to get on top of stuff but will do the theatre before the week-end - somehow.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 4:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How I love reading about your lunches, it so reminds me of me and my two friends who I've loved since 1970 when we worked on political campaigns. We have a bond I almost can't describe and then I read about you and your friends and we're so similar it's wonderful. By the way my birthday is July 15 doesn't that mean we're the same star sign (cancer) and that explains it all.

Happy birthday be happy...I love Michael Jackson and only wished we acknowledged him when he lived although this is good for his family and children.

Blessings,

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 5:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Are you kidding? I wish this topic would never end. You are rich in friends, the best kind of rich.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 6:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a truly beautiful cake, a work of art! If it's half as good as it looks, I should think you're still on a sugar high. I say, you should stretch these birthday posts for as long as you're still feeling that sugar high and chocolate satisfaction. Must admit to being a little startled that the lights were so bright, me, I always dim the lights when I eat something as decadent as that looks! :P

Oh, it looks like you had the best of times on your birthday. I knew you would. There's something so healing about time with friends, it doesn't make everything better, but it sure does help, doesn't it?

As for Michael Jackson, I'm still holding out that it's all some sort of weird publicity ploy. Classic denial, anyone?

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 10:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Good food shared with good friends ...ah this is life Naomi and I'm glad on this special day all your lovely friends are here with you..Not forgetting us too :D

Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 6:59:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Those are lovely pictures Naomi! I was transfixed on the first one since the food looks delish. I so agree that the food tastes a lot better when served in a nice chinaware.

Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 12:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That cake is truly spendid, I think I might steal the idea and try to make one similar for the next family birthday that comes along. Lots of slabs of colour and zigzags and squiggles, I wouldn't even need to be careful with the icing, just splodge it on and it looks wonderful!
Thank you for giving me the idea..... now all I have to do is to remember to do it!
I watched the MJ memorial while babysitting my littlest grandson. It was dignified and elegant. And the jackson Family were even more so. I agree that MJ was very talented and was a consummate performer, but he was also very weird, and even though I loved his 80s music, I didn't have much respect for him later in his career. But he will certainly be remembered for his extraordinary contribution to pop culture.

Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 12:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The colors on that cake are perfect...and it looks "DIVINO" (as we say in Spanish!)!

Looks like the fun is just beginning in these photos. That china is beautiful, btw. You're right, everything tastes better in fancy cups and dishes.

Your cards are very sweet, and I especially like that last one.

PS - You really know how to keep a secret, Naomi! Now SPILL THE BEANS on those papers! :)

Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 4:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You don't stretch it out at all dear Naomi!! I love hearing all about your get togethers with your wonderful friends! I love the pretty cups and saucers. I have a small collection of them, as I think they are so pretty, and yes...things do taste better in lovely cups/glasses!!

I did LOL at that card!!! I love Bridgett's handwriting too. Very pretty!

I agree with you about Michael Jackson. I was saddened when I heard he had died...so young. What a sad thing to happen to him.

Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 6:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

If there is a draw back to your parties is that it puts the onus on us to do more than a cupcake and a balloon.
It looks like you all were having such a wonderful time. You are lucky to have each other for such a long time.
As for Michael, I do believe in the Indian saying of "Don't judge another till you walk a mile in their shoes" and also the Ben Franklin saying of "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." We are too quick to judge on speculation.

Friday, July 10, 2009 at 6:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

When I heard where Michael Jackson "might" be buried, I immediately thought of you and your beautiful pictures of the cemetary.

I believe that everyone should celebrate their birthday as you and your friends do!

Friday, July 10, 2009 at 7:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

We watched Michael Jackson's memorial the day after Martha's Vineyard. It was fun to stay home and recoup. The service was very moving. I was amazed by his dancing and over all talent.

Papers? I shall read on.

I love the cake. It filled me just to see it. You all have good taste and great senses of humor too.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 at 8:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love how Seemah's a "late-comer" @ only knowing her 34 years! Good friendships are to be treasured! I'm glad you have these lovely ladies to rally around you.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 at 9:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It's 4:30am & I'm sitting here drooling over your cake! I love to see your birthday pics, but my favorite, of course, are to see the beautiful cake you get each year. So nice that you & your friends get together so often.
My fridge looks a lot like yours! Don't you love it? I do. :)

I completely agree about Michael Jackson. He was so talented, so complex. I hope he is at peace now & people will remember what he gave to us, because he gave so much.

Take care

Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 4:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, I have much pleasure seeing your photos about "Ladies who Lunch"!! All food looks wonderful and de chocolate cake... hummm.... looks delicious! Sounds you all had a lovely party!

Have a nice Sunday!
Many hugs!

Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 6:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I heard you guys laughing all the way to Toronto! Sounded like you were having way too much fun :)

That cake looks amazing!!!

Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 5:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Isn't it nice to have a chocolate cake with your name on it? LoL! It looked delicious!

You take as much time as you like blogging about your birthday. All birthdays are special and anyway, I love reading about your lunches. It gives me a chance to share, in some small way, all that wonderful fun you have and that special comradeship and warmth which is very life affirming.

Monday, July 13, 2009 at 4:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love seeing the photos and reading the stories of the Ladies Who Lunch, Naomi. I think birthdays should be celebrsted as long as possible.

Monday, July 13, 2009 at 5:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm with you - tea/coffee tastes so much better when served in china cups. I am unable to buy any over here in the UAE - I'm always on the lookout for them!!

Your cake and lunch looked delicious...thanks for sharing.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 8:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh I was going to say something too about the MJ memorial. I thought it was done fabulously well and no matter what was said about him in the past, his music is what he shall be remembered for.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 8:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi. I haven't been around much. We finally had a spell of sunny weather after over a month of rain so we've been on the boat with the *boys*. I hope you had a wonderful birthday. It looks as though it was celebrated with love - the best kind of celebration. Hope all is well.

Check out the boys blog. They had a great vacation. You can also view their fan page on FaceBook!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fremont-NH/Ferris-and-Cameron/121475500760?ref=ts

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 at 8:16:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.