Wednesday, June 24, 2009
huh?

Who is this? I mean, what character from what film.....If you know the answer, please do tell me, because I don't have a clue....(From the sublime to the ridiculous...after France, 1969...)

Some months ago when my dear pal Shawn took me out on a "drive around"...We saw this 'character' above. As we came down Orange Drive towards Hollywood Blvd., there he was, walking up the street towards Franklin Avenue, having finished his 'work', for the day. Grauman's Chinese is right there on Hollywood Blvd....and many 'actors' appear out front dressed in costumes---Tourists can have their picture taken with them, for a fee---Amazing, isn't it?.....About eight or so months before, when Shawn took me out for another outing, we passed by The Chinese Theatre---after all, it is my neighborhood theatre----and these two characters below were actually out in front, talking to each other.......Or were they.....? Is Batman punching Spider Man? Well...whatever. The thing is...even though their costumes were not perfect---I mean look at "Spider Man"....... This is certainly not the most perfect Spider Man costume one might have, especially if you were trying to depict Spider Man and wanted people to pay to have their picture taken with you...but....that did not seem to be an issue for the tourists there in front of Grauman's on Hollywood Blvd.......It did not seem to deter them, one bit. I'll be honest with you. This kind of thing was unheard of 'back in the day'. No one dressed up and pretended to be characters from a movie...Or if they did---which they didn't----no one would have even considered paying to have one's picture taken with a nut-case in a costume wandering around Hollywood Boulevard.

Times have changed. These 'actors' are legit and are part of the landscape now---each and every day, 365 days a year....And I guess it is quite lucrative......I read an article about it somewhere, a few months ago....it was quite fascinating......This guy above just looked like an "extra" to me.....someone who was actually filming a movie and had finished work for the day and was walking to his car, parked somewhere up on Orange Drive....Indeed, he had finished work, but he was not in whatever movie he was dressed up for. I must say, I thought his "get-up" was quite extraordinary......Much more complex than that Spider Man guy..... Everything about the costume---including his make-up, was pretty detailed and thorough! And here below, is another 'detail' of his get-up.....This guy was fantastic.He was a real "pro".....! The attention to detail in his costume was awesome! Oh, and by the way....I asked him if he minded me taking some pictures of him as I sat in the passenger side of Shawn's car....He said "no", it was fine, and he immediately perked up into that smiley-scary face. And I didn't cost me anything at all.


Now, could someone please tell me who he is supposed to be...I mean, what character from what movie he has gone to so much trouble to depict? Whoever it is, I'm not familiar with it......

More To Come........







20 Comments:
had this to say:

Hi Naomi.... I have absolutely no idea who he is supposed to be, but he certainly is fabulous isn't he? Love the makeup, and the hedpiece, and the batwings, and the TEETH! Perhaps someone like that doesn't cause much of a stir in LA, but I can just imagine the reaction if he was to walk down Main Street in my small town.... WOW! Front page news!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 4:57:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I have no clue. What a fantastic costume! imagine how long it took for his fantastic make-up. And then he went home to wash it all out??

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 7:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The abs are great but the wings and spikey things have to go. I have no idea but think a teen could tell you right off. Gee, all I get to look at on our streets is men in overalls. Not fair.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 11:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

No idea who it is either but what a get-up! He's even wearing contacts to change his eyes. I bet that's one helluva place to walk around during Halloween season.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 12:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

HUH is right. I'll try and send a comic book friend over here who might know. Ick. LOL You are right, wouldn't have been done.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 12:34:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Looks like a demon or Satan's spawn of some sort. Traffic would stop entirely if someone dressed like that here.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 12:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! Just amazing, Naomi! But I also have absolutely no idea or clue... I agree with Arkansas Patti, a young girl/boy could tell you who is this fantastic character.
If we could Google by pictures or image, would be great!
Have a nicce day!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 1:49:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow that's a neat cosplay! I think it's a character from a videogame or something. Can't put my finger on it. Is there sort of a game convention in that area?

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 3:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have no idea either but I agree his costume and makeup are fantastic. Perhaps he was on a film as the makeup looks so professional. He looks the real deal. As opposed to the poor excuse for Spiderman.

They have these same people in movieworld and disneyland too. I am not sure I would get my photo taken with them but I have seen large lines of people trying to do just that. Although I have to say I have always had a bit of a thing for Batman though. Great for kids I imagine.

What an amzing neighbourhood you must live in. I lived in Hollywood many, many years ago. I nearly got arrested for jaywalking on my first day there. I thought I was on a movie set but it was a real policeman and he wasnt happy. Long story, lol.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 5:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Now that is a great costume and I think he was on a film set somewhere. I could look at him for ages. As for spiderman well he is lacking the chest to fill out his costume maybe. I love your pictures of your town. It wouldn't happen anywhere else would it?

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 5:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't know who that character is, and neither does Courtney. I'm thinking he might be a comic book character, but I don't know.
Spider Man has a fanny pack thing in the front of his man parts. I think he likes the extra bulge it gives him.
:-)
:-)
:-)

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 9:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I haven't a clue, Naomi, but I bet someone will tell you! That's quite a costume.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 9:42:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Whatever or whoever he is - he's magnificent and now I know what a six pack is.
I found your comment Naomi, about Lucy - it was hiding under the flowers.
I'm not sure when the 27th starts there - it's the 25th here -but I hope you have a lovely Birthday with LOTS of chocolate:)

Thursday, June 25, 2009 at 1:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

wouldn't it be wonderful if it's just the way he dresses LOL !!!
he's fabulous

Craig Ferguson talk about Spiderman on Hollywood Blvd - he says he has a large "spidey package" LOL

Thursday, June 25, 2009 at 2:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

amazing costuming. but um.. i'll have nightmares for weeks now, thanks. LOL

Thursday, June 25, 2009 at 4:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! That's amazing! Of course I know exactly who he is!! NOT!!! Haha!! How nice that he did that big smile for you. The makeup is something else. I don't think he could drive with all that on though!!

It would be front page news if someone was out and about like that in our town!!

Thursday, June 25, 2009 at 6:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't know who however I don't think I ever took that much time (he must have needed) to look that good.

Great Pictures..

Dorothy from grammology
grammmology.com

Thursday, June 25, 2009 at 10:19:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Good Lord, I have NO clue who this might be...lol
In the first photo, I actually thought "he" was a statue and not a real person....lol
The things they think of to make a buck...like you said, the times have certainly changed!
And not always for the better.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Saturday, June 27, 2009 at 2:45:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

PS...I was wondering if you were going to blog about the untimely and sad passing of Michael Jackson. He was such a tortured soul, I hope he's at peace now. I've been watching a lot of the tv coverage.
Terri

Saturday, June 27, 2009 at 2:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

May be I'm come to a certain age of quality determination -old fashioned may someone declare - but this is - well - not quality after my standards. Unless it is a parody;))

Monday, June 29, 2009 at 3:48:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.