Saturday, May 30, 2009
ladies who lunch - part 2

When we left off last time....The Birthday Cakes had just arrived at the table.....Both Betty and Lee blew out the candles on each of their cakes and then, Will G. served each of us......

Our favorite cakes...the dense dark Chocolate from Sweet Lady Jane and the fantastic Lemon Cake from Will's 'secret' place....He won't tell any of us where this cake comes from....lol.....It is truly fantastic!
Betty's cousin Carol, who lives on San Jose, had sent down these two boxes of See's Candy..... She decorated them herself and everyone thought they looked fabulous....Betty opened one of the boxes---like we needed more chocolate...lol...But, there is something about See's Candy that makes one feel it is a true Celebration! I loved that Bridget had put her little Dolphin there in the top of her blouse.....He looked so cute just sitting there, as if he too, might join us for some Birthday Cake.....! And here above, a closer look at those very fancy jeweled rings....Those are Jacquie's hands.....I loved that everyone put their rings on and wore them all afternoon....they seemed to be a Big Hit! (lol) Then it was time to open the presents....Here is Bridget with one of the beautiful bags she put together....She loves wrapping, and it really shows....Here below, a closer look at how truly pretty this package is...... And Bridget has her ring on, too....Now, the two Birthday Girls were all ready to open their presents.... So.....here we go! Lee began. This was her gift from Jacquie.....And here it is below..... A lovely bracelet with pretty little green stones....Lee loved it! Then it was Betty's turn..... This card was from Seemah....as was the present you are about to see....It came all the way from Bali....Seemah had spent a few weeks there visiting her son and daughter-in-law and the baby.... Betty adores scarves and wears them all the time....So this was a perfect gift and it didn't hurt that her favorite color is Blue! She took off the scarf she was wearing and put on this brand new one, right away....Meanwhile...... Lee was about to open her present from Seemah....(Isn't that a cute card?) It was a beautiful Photo Album....Seemah knows that Lee travels a lot and she had just come back from a trip....So, a Photo Album was a perfect gift! This was a wonderful pin that Jacquie gave Betty.....And Betty loved it! She put it on almost immediately, too.....Take a closer look, in case you can't read it...... This was Betty's gift to Lee....Well, I should say 'gifts'....That black & white bag on Lee's lap was filled with all sorts of little goodies...But, the one that Lee and all of us were really taken by, was this one.... A Fold-Up Sun Hat.....! Betty put it together for Lee, as Lee took out all the other little goodies..... And there it is....... And there she is.....! She looks great! Now Betty is about to open Bridget's gift....Lee is reading the card to Betty and look at those darling little jewels on that envelope....Bridget really knows how to do it! Bridget's gift to Betty was this lovely Candle Holder and she gave Betty 90 Candles to go with this....I wish I could have gotten a better picture of it...But....Alas, it was not meant to be, but if you click on it you will be able to see it much much better..... Here is Bridget's card to Lee.....Best Girl Friends.....! And below, her gifts to Lee...... And here we see a Beautiful Key Ring Bauble...(Bridget is known as someone who is always loosing her keys---I'm not sure that Lee is...lol...but it sure is pretty.)...And that little picture with words that Lee can hang on her Office Door....Click on this picture to see what those words say...... This is what Dianne gave both Betty and Lee....We all had a really good laugh over these...truly truly hilarious....! But, actually they are useful, too.....! This was my gift to Lee......She has always supported me as an Artist...buying, I think, four paintings over the years.....I knew she liked this series of color drawings and these colors, in particular...... Above, a little closer look.......And, what did I give Betty? Well, I didn't take a picture of it....But part of it did appear in one of my pictures.....And here it is, below..... See where it say 'appy day' down in the left hand corner....Well, this was a whole box filled with 90th Birthday goodies.....I told her to open it at home when there was more time because some people had to leave at 5pm, including Betty..... And then, Betty opened Lee's gift. Lee read her what the card said.....and then we saw the two very beautiful gifts that Lee gave Betty......But first.....here is the picture on the card.... A truly funny card....As some of you may recall....Betty & Lee & Dianne & Bridget did the show "NUNSENSE" together....so, this was very appropriate. Inside it said....'NO! None Of The Above'! LOL! This is a truly beautiful artful necklace made in Costa Rica....the wood is very very special and only found in Costa Rica....Lee's second gift to Betty was this incredibly lovely and unusual scarf....... There was one more 'gift'.....I will write about it at another time...but here is a picture of it, below. And then.....it was time to leave for some of our little group.....Mainly, the two Birthday Girls. Well...the truth is...Betty had to get home and Lee had picked her up and driven her here to my house......So, another really special "Ladies Who Lunch" has come and gone.....What a sweet day it was.....And what great fun we had, too....Happy Birthday dear Betty and Lee, and many many more...... And there they go.....Two very Happy Wonderful Women...... So long, my dear Birthday Girls......till next time.......








More To Come.......




Note: I am sorry to say that I had word late yesterday that someone I am very very close to has killed himself. This is devistating in the extreme, to me.....I cannot quite take it in yet....so, if I am scarce in blogland....please forgive me.....Sometimes, life is just too hard. I understand completely why he left this 'mortal coil', or as he said..."this vale of tears"....but still, I am devistated, and he knew I would be......He took the time to write me and ask me to understand---Oh I do, my dear dear, John, I truly truly do.

And, he asked me to forgive him...And I do that, too, my dear sweet friend......

Until we meet again........







40 Comments:
had this to say:

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Take your time to reflect.

The rest of the birthday lunch looked magnificent as always. I'm glad you document these so well and share them with us.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 1:38:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Oh I so enjoyed the party and really longed for a piece of each cake but then I read your awful news at the end. The poor man - how he must have suffered but I'm sure he knew you would understand and forgive him.
So sorry Naomi.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 2:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, my thoughts and prayers for strength will be with you for a long time today. Your photos were so lovely and vibrant the friendships so deep and trusting of these women we can see it in their eyes. I have five friends I've had for over 37 years and they mean so much to me. Therefore, loosing one for any reason is horrible and I'm praying you'll get through this and I think many of your blogger friends will be wishing you the same.

My best regards today,

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 9:43:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, my. So sorry for your loss. You are in our prayers.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 10:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I am so sorry to hear that. Death is hard enough to take, but suicide is unfathomable.

You got some wonderful photos of the birthday girls; both of whom are still as beautiful as they were when young.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 1:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for inviting us in for a peek of this festive lunch. I sit here watching presents be opened as if I'm right there with you all, enjoying the fun and suspense. Paper from animal poo?? As one who loves scarves I love Betty's new one and of course I noticed the pretty tea cup and was looking at it and would have missed the dolphin if you hadn't mentioned it. I also loved you pinwheel art and the rose.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 3:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I missed the post note and saw the comments back here so I went back and read. My heart goes out to you, Naomi. Take it slow.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 3:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so sorry about your friend :(

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 3:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh! Naomi, I am so sorry to hear about your dear friend... so sad...
I send to you my tender thoughts.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 4:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My sympathy on the loss of your friend. Years ago having lost by his own hand someone for whom I cared deeply I can genuinely appreciate the pain you feel --all the questions and wondering despite all you know about the situation. Cherish your memories.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 5:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so sorry for your loss, Naomi. I am sending healing energy your way.

The birthday party seems wonderful! Happy birthday to all.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 5:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

One of the things I love most about you, Naomi, is that you take the time to savor every single moment of life. You take the most beautiful pictures of your flowers, in every form -- pre-bloom and blooming, of your ladies and the party, even the wrapping, you note how much someone loves to do that and how it shows. Every detail you treasure.

For someone who treasures and celebrates every moment of life, I can understand how hard it is to lose your friend. I'm so very glad he took the time to write to you. I'm also so, so very sorry for your loss of his friendship. My heart hurts for the pain you're feeling.

Yes, life can be too much sometimes. I've been there and understand... even not knowing his reasons, I get it. But for those who loved him that he's left behind, I'm just so sorry.

(warm hugs) to you, my dear friend.

xoxo

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 6:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi - my heart goes out to you and to John, who was in so much pain that he felt that was the best choice he had... Life is so very very hard sometimes... Taking your own life is incredibly difficult, and a deicison arrived at after long deliberation often held off for a minute, an hour, a day, a week - until finally you can't fight against the quicksand of hurt and loss of hope anymore...Those who love him will understand and see it through his eyes - even while they miss him hugely...

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 8:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

P.S. I did go exploring off your post to see what the poopoopaper.com thing was all about... love their website. :)

xo

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 10:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi, so sorry to hear about your friend John.... Take care in your grieving.

All I can say is that you ladies sure age well... I hope I look that good when I get that age.

Take care Naomi and know that we are thinking about you.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 3:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so sorry for your pain and for his.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 5:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The cakes and the presents look delightful!

I'm so sorry to hear of your new. It's devastating and nothing can prepare you for that. Take care.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 7:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi- Of course there are no words to express or console when something like that happens. I wish you peace and solitude as you deal with this loss.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 11:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm thinking about you and your friends... so happy to enjoy each other's company at a wonderful birthday party, and then suddenly plunged into sorrow and grief at another friend's untimely passing.
Sending you hugs, Naomi.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 2:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi.. I am sooo sorry you had to loose a close friend. (hugs to you) I am glad you had the Ladies who lunch and at least had a good time . The birthday girls look Fabuuuulous darling!! Both of them! Lee is forever beautiful and Betty never seems to change..I am so glad I managed to get back on line to read the two post fun you had!
I wish I could hug you..
(I am still to exhausted and have not posted of my arrival in florida)

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 3:09:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi--
John was a good guy, right? He must have been, if he was your friend!

Just envision him in Pearly Gates Estates.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 3:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh I am so sorry for your loss...parting is so hard to do...
I pray that your grief is outweighed by the pleasant memories you have of your friend.
May God bless you.

Kendra

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 6:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi...am at a loss for words because they seem so flimsy and what I'd really like to do is give you a great big hug.

Such joy in those wonderful photos of your girlfriends. I showed Jamie (my husband) your most recent posts (as i do often) and then went and sat down and read your devastating news.

Love to you beautiful friend.... and love to your friend John. May his soul find solace xx

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 6:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

As everyone else has said here, I am sorry to hear of your loss. So very sorry. I know what it is like to loose people to suicide as you know - 2 cousins within 2 weeks of each other earlier in the year. My thoughts are with you.

You know I love the Ladies who Lunch. These posts always bring a big smile to my face - you capture the lunches beautifully and feels like we are there with you...

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 9:42:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Oceanwve
had this to say:

The loss of John leaves a void in your life but please take comfort knowing that he is free of pain now. As much as we miss those we loved and wish they were still with us, I do believe they go to a better place and will be there to await us.

Monday, June 1, 2009 at 7:24:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I am so sorry about the loss of your friend. Having been to those depths a number of times in my life, I can understand the impulse to do such a thing, but having lived past those moments, I am glad I stuck around. It sounds like whatever brought him to those depths was something that wouldn't change and even though people say suicide is a selfish act, I'm glad he took the time to write to you and hopefully that will be a comfort to you. Sometimes there's really nothing people close to us can do to fix the hurt that we're suffering. I'm sorry. I hope you're able to heal and understand why he chose this path.

Monday, June 1, 2009 at 10:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, John, but he knew what a special and understand friend you were and I hope you take comfort in knowing how he felt about you. Hold on to those memories, my friend.

Speaking of memories, you sure know how to celebrate birthdays. That photo of Lee with the beautiful painting you created (with all the different shades of blue) matched her hat and outfit perfectly. It really is a wonderful picture...and you are a fabulous artist, Naomi. You really are!

The desserts looked delicious (as always). Maybe one day Wes will let you know about his secret bakery...or not (as long as he keeps the good stuff coming, I guess it doesn't make a difference!). :)

Thanks for sharing part 2 of a beautiful birthday celebration. I'm sure all the ladies had a great time!

I know you will need time to yourself, but know that I will be thinking of you. Take care, Naomi, and you know where to reach me if you want to chat.

Monday, June 1, 2009 at 8:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved the photographs, and was thinking how lucky you are to have such good friends who have stayed so all these years.

As for John, my condolences, dear. Knowing that he thought of you no doubt is both comforting and painful. A enormous loss for you.
Big hugs, until I can give you one in person.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 5:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi I am so sorry. I really hate that for you and all those who loved him. And good for you for that forgiving and understanding heart of yours!

I love the rings. You always have the most fun party gifts. You make me want to find great things for when my friends come over for a girl night.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 6:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You guys always have so much fun :)

With the rings and hats, they are styling!

Elephant poo poo paper?! Ha!

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 6:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your blog is such a mix of the joys of life with the sorrows. It is a gift that you have such long time friendships and that you all put the effort into them to keep them active; and it was a gift of your friend who took his life for reasons that seem to have been right to him. Sometimes it is just how it is but sad.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 8:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi,

I was smiling scrolling down the pictures and soaking in the birthday mood & celebration until I saw the footnote.

I felt the pain just as much upon reading that even though I don't know your friend John. No matter what or why he did it, it is too much pain for people who continues to love & adore him.

I wish you much strength Naomi and knowing that I think about you on this day. You take care.

Luv
Betty

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 8:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My deepest sympathy for your loss, suicide is so hard for those left behind to deal with. Keep your party and friends in your reserves of joy and dive in as needed.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 10:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Naomi dear. I hope you can feel this hug from across the miles.

Your parties, your pictures, and your friendships are wonderful things indeed. How lucky they all are to have you in their lives!

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 11:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My dear Naomi, I am so sorry to hear your sad news. I know it must have shook your world in a big way and I wish there was something I could say or do to help alleviate the pain. I am thinking of you though and send hugs from across the ocean.

I am happy to read that you all had such a wonderful time at one of your famous lunches. Belated birthday greetings to the birthday ladies, who loo great!

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 10:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend John. My heart goes out to you. He must have been a good friend to leave you a note like that.

Those cakes sure look yummy! I loved all the gifts and especially the scarfs. They are both so pretty and colorful! Your painting is so very lovely too!! I'm sure the day went much too quickly, but such a delight while it lasted!!

Thanks for sharing with us the pictures and the fun time you had. Betty looks great for her age. I hope she has many many more, as well as Lee too!!

Big hugs to you!

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 2:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh no I am so sorry to read about John :( Take time to grieve noone is going to begrudge you that at ALL! :(

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 3:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

Your birthday parties always make me smile. It's so wonderful that you all make time for that tradition. I'm enjoying your trip to France, too. Thanks for sharing all this with us.

Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 5:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I'm sorry for the loss of your close friend. To have to deal with such a tragedy must be difficult, and for him to consider you at this time and write you an explanatory note does mean he was a special man.

I hope you continue to cherish those special friends...those wonderful ladies who lunch...and continue to have those fun and fabulous afternoon soirees with them. Once again, thank you for bringing us into your world up in the hills.

Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 4:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.. What an awfully difficult pill to swallow~
Come back soon, knowing you have many loving friends here holding you in their thoughts, lifting you up, and waiting hopefully you won't be long away~

Prayers and hugs, Anni

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 6:01:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.