Wednesday, May 27, 2009
the ladies who lunch

The two Birthday girls being wonderfully silly.....! This is part of what makes each of them so delightful....they still love to 'play'.....These "fancy" rings (Not!) were part of the silly and fun goodies in every one's gift bags.... This time, the little squeezable soft cuddly creature was a Dolphin because Betty loves Dolphins and since this was her 90th.....Well, it only seemed right! And this time I had a little Terracotta pot of Flowers for each lady....I thought it would be a sweet remembrance of this special day that they could take home....they all loved their flowers...... And this was my centerpiece....it had '90's all over it and it looked very festive and colorful.....And those little things all over the tablecloth brought more festiveness and color to our table..... Our group was just seven. Dear Annie Guilbert wasn't feeling well so she couldn't come...we missed her, but we had a great time anyway..... Betty and Seemah and Jacquie---sitting on the couch, before lunch....looking out the window at something...Actually, I told them to look out there so the picture wouldn't look too posed...lol..... And above...Best-Girl-Friends, Bridget and Lee.....It had been quite a week for dear Lee....She had just returned from Costa Rica and while she was there, her Ex, Frank Aletter died---it was expected, but still....tough on her girls....And even though they were divorced, the two family's were very very close....(I did a play with dear Frank back in 1970....the one where I had to take off my brassiere......) And below.....Dear Dianne..... And that was our group on Thursday....plus me, of course.....We had some little goodies to start our party---Will G. makes this fantastic Curried Chicken stuff that is my favorite.....And before you know it, it was time to go to the table.... We decided to open our Gift Bags while Will and his cohort Chuck were readying the "special" lunch, ordered especially for the wonderful 90th Birthday Girl...... One of the first things at the top of the bag were these very "rare" chocolate bars....Rare, because they were personalized for our two Birthday Girls..... Above..this is the front of Betty's Hershey Bar and then here below is the back.... And then, Lee looked at her "special" Chocolate Bar.....These were in every bag, by the way....In fact, all of us had two of each of this personalized bars in our gift bags..... And then below, the back of Lee's bar...... And each of the Birthday Girls had over a dozen chocolate bars to take home and share with their family's....Of course, as always, I have to find lots of different and fun things for the Gift Bags....Here below is the silliest pair of Sun Glasses ever....lol...... These are Flamingo Sun Glasses....And each lady had a colorful Heart shaped lollipop, too.....And here below is Bridget in her glasses with her darling little yellow Dolphin sitting on her shoulder...... And below, dear Jacquie, wearing her Flamingo's.....Cute, aren't they? They are not very good....but, who cares....It's all in fun! Then....our 'special' lunch was served.....! Every one's favorite, Eggs Benedict....It was almost a year ago that we had this 'Brunch' Lunch...in fact it was at my Birthday Celebration.... They were soooo yummy.....And Betty was thrilled, because she gets up very late and had not had any breakfast.....So, my thought was that this was the perfect 'lunch' for someone turning 90 who would not have eaten breakfast yet and I was right! She loved it and in fact, everyone loved it.....! There was a salad of Bibb Lettuce, Avocado and Jicima with a lovely light Vinaigrette dressing....it all was so delicious! And then....it was time for the Birthday Cakes......! First there was Betty's....... And then out came Lee's........ And here below, a closer look at both of these beautiful birthday cakes....And they were both incredibly yummy, too.......Part 2 will be coming along next time......And as I always say....there will be.....




More To Come......

















27 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

So, here I am at 7:00 AM Central Time, enjoying one of your posts and photos. Except out of the blue come the words "the one where I had to take off my brassiere."

I've only now cleaned the coffee off my desk. Please give us a "heads-up" for the next one of those.

:)

Lovely photos and anecdotes, as always.

Cheers.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 5:11:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Happy belated birthday to two gorgeous bday ladies!!! and what a fun lunch you had, enjoyed the pictures, loved those bday decorations and the personalized chocolate bars!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 5:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Ha! I did a double-take with the first photo!

The "ingredient list" on the chocolate bars was too cute.

Glad you all had fun - thanks for letting us see too!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 7:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It sounds and looks like quite a party! :) I loved the party bags and the cakes looked delicious!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 11:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your parties always look like so much fun, Naomi, because you put a lot of thought into your decor and your gift bags! I know they all had a good time. Eggs Benedict is my very favorite thing to eat - I'd love to have been there!! I didn't remember that Lee's birthday was so near to Betty's. How fun for them!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 1:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How much fun you all have!!! Loved the little treat bags, they are always so full of whimsey and laughter!! And how about those cakes ... I have to find your baker in LA and hook him up with my duaghter! hehehe AND yes N ... we would like to know more about the brassiere .... hmmmmmm ... one can only ponder images in our minds without the story!!

Happy Birthday Betty and Lee!!
:)

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 2:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

the thing I love most about all this is the thought you put into every detail, it shows how well you know your friends and that is priceless

my goodness everyone looks so wonderful! happiness does make a person even more beautiful

Florence was always at the top of my list of places I'd like to be but now - well - I'd love to do lunch!!

hugs hot stuff ;)

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 2:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday to Betty and Happy Birthday to Lee! What a great lunch you did to your lovely friends, Naomi! I always enjoy seeing your parties, they look so much fun! The decor, the gifts bags and the menu looks wonderful!
I would love to be there with all of you.
Have a nice day!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 3:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy b-day ladies.. Those look wonderfully delicious cakes.. Thanks for sharing and I wont be having any more cake till January for myself. My youngest will be having cake on Tuesday though..

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 4:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

absolutely LOVED reading about your b-day party! i felt i was there and that is a good thing...a happy thing! Hey, i noticed a painting on your wall behind the table...of a young man's face...I love it, what I could see of it...did you paint it? what is the history of the painting?

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 4:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi... all I can say is you're SUCH a Party Animal!! Love the flamingo sunglasses, and the little dolphins, and how about those personalised chocolate bars??? Wonderful personal touches for everyone! And the cakes look scrumptious! You can organise a birthday party for me any time.....
And I'm waiting for the story about when you had to take off your brassiers... should be fascinating.
My new grandbaby is here at last, and he's a BOY!!!!! He arrived this morning and he's gorgeous! He was born at 8:05 a.m. and the new mummy and daddy left the hospital to take their baby home at 12 noon!!!!!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 7:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

JOY!

LAUGHTER!

FRIENDSHIP!

CELEBRATION!

LOVELY LOOT BAGS!

PERSONALIZED CHOCOLATE BARS!

Your luncheon parties always make me smile.....they are always served with such beautiful kinship.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 7:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! Looks like you gals had so much fun!

The cakes look amazing!

And I love the pink shades ... so stylish :)

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 10:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, Naomi! That looks like such a fun, silly, and delicious celebration. I would revel in that sort of party at any age! Happy 90th to your dear friend, Betty! And to Lee, as well!

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 8:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a fun peek into your celebration. God bless those birthday girls! :)

I love the decor, as always. The 90 centerpiece and everything around it was perfect for Betty!

The flamingo glasses look like fun...and who doesn't love Eggs Benedict at any time of the day?? That plate looks delicious!!

Oh and the cake...wow! You make me want to hop into these pics and join in all the festivities!

Thanks for sharing these moments with us, Naomi, and I look forward to more photos and fun on your next post!! :)

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 9:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love it when you host parties and invite us to see the fun. Who doesn't like being silly and enjoying themselves and you ladies know how to do it best!

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 6:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Do you know how big my smile was when I opened up your blog to see the Post "Ladies who Lunch". I so love these posts Naomi and today's was no exception.

How special are those chocolate bars? So thoughtful. I am sure Monet would love a pair of those flamingo sunglasses!

Thanks for sharing Betty & Lee's birthday lunch with us!

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You always know how to have a good time! Everything looked so beautiful. And fun. Will I be seeing Lee anytime soon on my soap? I miss her.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What delightful details from gifts, food, to personalized candy, for the Birthday girls. Great job of planning and it sure looks like all the work was worth it if the grins tell the tale.

I am sorry for Lee's loss. I always liked Frank Aletter as an actor and had forgotten they were married. Love that they continues the friendship.

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 4:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi, what a wonderful celebration and I'm so 'jealous'..I want to be there to wish both the lovely Ladies Happy Birthday and to join in the fun too :D

You are such a wonderful host Naomi, to go all out for your friends...I'm sure they'll appreciate your wonderful gesture and thoughtfulness :D

Nice to see Seemah there :) Big Hugs to all ..hmmm..I hope you did save some cakes for me hehehhee...

Happy Birthday once again :D

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 6:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks like great food, a great time together and a happy birthday girl... I can't believe she is turning 90!....Amazing.

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 8:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wondferful, what fun!!

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 6:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful!!! Looks like great food, great friends, and a great time! Love your gift bags and those candy bars! How clever! Betty was born the same year as my Mom.

The cakes look yummy! I'd sure like to have a piece of Betty's!! It looks better to me than the other one! All that chocolate and icing! Yum!!

Looking forward to the next part!

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 8:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Gorgeous dames, fabulous lunch, and such unbelievable talent in that room! I think I've had the good fortune to see all of them on the stage at one time or another and you are all amazing, but what moves me the most is the longevity of your amazing friendships.

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 9:45:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

How lucky are those birthday girls to have a friend like you to spoil then so. I don't know how you manage to get all those delightful little goodies - everything - as always - so colourful and pretty. I'm sure you make the years drop away from them and they all feel girls again.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 1:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Chocolate makes EVERYTHING special :-)

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 5:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You know what I really love about these posts is because I have sat at that same table and on the same couch etc I can really put myself there and feel it as I read it :)
BTW that curried chicken stuff WAS to die for you are right so good !
Hope you are well, my internet went down I thought it was the end of the world :D
Off to read part two

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 3:53:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.