Wednesday, May 06, 2009
dom

A very dear old friend died on Monday evening.....He was an amazingly talented man and devoted to his family. Sweet Dom, who was so filled with the spark of life, till recently, is gone. Hard to believe, I tell you. (This picture above, was taken at the Opening of one of my Art Shows, February 14th, 1975...that is Carol on the left and Betty G. on the right)


I actually met Carol, Dom's dear wife, first, back in 1953 at The Feagin School of Drama & Radio in New York City. And then I met Dom, with her, in the early 1960's. In these last years, because of my 'confinement' I have not seen them....though Carol was here for my 75th Birthday, Dom was not feeling well enough to make it that day.

Dom had a truly fantastic career....he played on Broadway---in fact, he was right next door to us, back in 1963, when we were doing "Spoon River" at The Booth Theatre. Dom was in a show called "Here's Love", playing at The Schubert....the two theatres butted up against one another in Schubert Alley.....Dom made so very many memorable films---many with Mel Brooks and quite a few with Burt Reynolds, too.....He starred in a couple of Television shows and 'guest starred' in too-many-to-count numerous shows, as well.....Later, he even had a cooking show and wrote a couple of Cook Books!

Back in 1974, I had rented a house on The Big Island, in Hawaii---Carol & Dom came and stayed with me for a couple of nights and then went on to a lovely private Hotel I had recommended to them for some wonderful special time---just the two of them. Unfortunately all my pictures from that time are slides, and I am unable to scan them in....but, those were fun days......
Dom was a devoted father to his three sons, Michael, David and Peter---all of whom went into 'the family business', and he was also devoted to his dear Carol, too. Whenever she performed, Dom was there. She sang in STAGE---the AIDS Benefit I was Co-Chair of for 19 years----a number of times back in the days when we did three performances. And dear Dom was always there at all three performances, cheering her on....and cheering all of us on in our efforts, too. I had spoken to Carol about two weeks ago in regard to Betty Garrett's 90th Birthday Bash....as always, she bought some tickets---it is a fund raiser for Theatre West---and they took an Ad, too, for the Commemorative Birthday Book....always supportive in every way to their friends and loved ones, this was no exception. That day that I spoke with her she said that Dom was doing okay, though he was in a wheel chair most of the time.
This man was so loved by so very many----To say he will be missed is putting it mildly.


The picture above of Dom with good friend Joe Sicari, was taken a week ago Sunday, April 26th, as they sat at the Dining Room table at Carol and Dom's house, having had a sumptuous meal, a lot of it prepared by Dom....A good friend, Restaurateur Bobby Mallozzi from Albany took this picture and emailed it to Joe this morning, (Tuesday), after hearing the news....And gratefully, in turn, Joe, emailed it on to me....What a sweet face this dear man had, and what a truly wonderful person he was.

Rest well dear sweet Dom.....your 'light' may have gone out, but the glow of your being will stay with all those who loved you, forever and ever.







31 Comments:
had this to say:

i feel blessed that I did get to meet the fabulous Dom once in Ca. when I worked the autograph shows! He did the show for charity and was swamped from people who loved him. like you.. I will miss his humor and just the fact that he was such a nice person.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 4:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I always felt a gentle sweetness about Dom DeLuise. So sorry for your loss, Naomi.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 7:05:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I always enjoyed his acting. He was one of the funniest actors around.

Cheers.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 7:53:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Sorry about the loss of your friend. He seemed to be a very friendly and warm person...

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 8:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So sorry, Naomi, for the loss of your dear friend. He was a lovely man and will be missed by many.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 9:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I thought you might be friends with him. He gave me many laughs. Younger generation know his son's work with the Stargate TV show, and I always had to explain who his father was. So much history being lost lately, I ache as I'm sure you do. I've lost people who entertained me---you lost friends. How glorious that you had such artists close to you.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 9:36:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Dom was one of the very special people who combined great artistry with a special and caring personality
He was especially gracious and considerate of his fellow actors, and endeavored to provide them with the emotional support they needed.

He'll fit in perfectly in his new abode in Pearly Gates Estates.

the fat lady

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 12:31:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I absolutely adored Dom and when his boys got into acting, I followed their careers too. I would see one on a dog food commercial and tell my friends, that's one of Dom DeLuise's boys. I watched another of his boys on a short-lived sci-fi t.v. show (maybe the same one, I can't remember now). Dom always struck me as a very sweet and funny man. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on him. I'm glad I was right about him being a good guy and so glad he had a life surrounded by people who loved him.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 1:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

We will all be a little sadder without him and his talent and kindness.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 2:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Too many obituaries in the last year or so... shudder ! It's a fact of aging, but just sad... so much talent and goodness lost.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 3:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I was sad when I read about his passing. He always seemed like a fun guy!

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 7:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I always thought Dom was so funny and seemed so sweet. I loved the clips of him and Burt Reynolds when they did the Cannonball Run movies and he would get so tickled.

I noticed another friend of yours is back on TV. Isn't the guy that was your buddy from Deadwood now on the Harper's Island show as the sheriff? I've beem meaning to ask if that wasn't him.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 7:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So very sad... :(

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 9:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I was so sorry to hear this Naomi. I immediately thought of you when I heard he had passed away. How wonderful that you knew him as a friend. He will be missed by so many.

(((Hugs)))

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 10:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I read yesterday that he never had a bad word to say about anyone. How nice to know a star was like that and how sweet that you knew him. Thanks as always for your lovely memories.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 12:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so sorry for your pain. The thing I always admired about him was his devotion to family. You were blessed to have him in your life.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 4:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so sorry to hear this Naomi and may he rest in peace.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 5:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of such a dear friend. He sounds like he was a wonderful man who enriched the lives of everyone around him. I know you will feel this loss deeply. It is so hard to lose old and dear friends.

Tell Sweetie to give you a big hug from me because I know you could probably do with that just now {hugs}.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 5:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, I am sorry about the loss of your friend. Very sad...

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 6:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I hear about his death on the TV news... I think he looked like a nice man, wish I had known more about him. He was a special person. So many of the well known names in show biz are disappearing lately.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 6:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,
Are you far away Santa Barbara,isn't? I read on CNN that "A wind-fanned wildfire spread across 500 acres in Santa Barbara County, California, early Thursday, forcing 13,000 residents to evacuate and destroying at least 20 homes." I hope all will be well very soon.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 7:56:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Good Morn, Naomi please accept my condolences for the loss of your friend Dom.
It is so hard to loose someone we love. At least you will have blessed memories, within my community or friends, many of them are a generation older than myself, have passed on this pass spring, too many too soon. Just know that I am thinking of you. Pat from NY

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 8:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Keith and I spoke yesterday on the phone, and I told him you'd written a post to honor Dom. We talked about what a talented and funny man Dom was. We also said that he seemed like such a personable, good man.
You knew him, so you know his fine qualities first hand. I am so sad for his wife and family and friends. All who knew him, I am sure adored him.
What a smile and great laugh he had!
Your tribute is heartfelt, Naomi.
He will be missed.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 10:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So sorry to hear he was a friend. I think we all felt sad to hear he died, seemingly before his time at least as we figure it these days. He was someone everyone thought they knew because of his many performances and as you said, his sweetness that shown through. A loss to us all but most to his family and friends.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 12:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi...I fell asleep in front of the TV on Monday night and woke up to a scene of your friend Dom dressed up like a superhero jumping out at Burt Reynolds....Cannonball Run maybe? It was a hilarious scene....

Then, I heard of his passing and immediately thought of you and your close friendship to Carol and to Dom. I'm so sorry to hear that we have lost another big hearted live life to the fullest human being... He always came across as a gentle soul with a heck of a sense of humour.

May he shine on, shine on in the hearts of his loved ones.... and in the night skies for all of us to feel too.

Great photos.... the last one you posted is poignant and beautiful.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 3:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I always loved him in every show I ever saw; he was the source of great joy and laughter. Rest in peace, Dom.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 4:55:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I heard about Dom's death on the ABC Newsbreak at 3:00 Monday afternoon and my first thought was of you.
I very much remember Carol being at your party 2 years ago and how you blogged and shared the photos.
I am so deeply sorry for yet another loss you must experience, Naomi.
Please know my thoughts are with you. He was such a special man and performer and a loss like that is always felt so much more deeply.
Please take care of you!
Sending love and hugs.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 5:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for giving us a personal glimpse into the life of a man whose talent I always admired and who always made me laugh. It's nice to hear what a wonderful, loving life he led.

I am sorry for your loss. It is always difficult to lose a friend.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 6:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I was so surprised to read about his passing. I'm sorry, Naomi.

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 6:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I feel incredibly sad too. I grew up watching him and seeing him around our town, when I was growing up. Had the pleasure of going to highschool with one of his sons, who my girls and I now watch on Wizard's of Waverly Place! So sorry you lost your friend and so sorry the world has lost him!

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 4:09:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

So sad to lose an old friend but good that he seemed to be enjoying life - almost to the end. I have a lot to catch up with so will return after lunch - you've been busy:)

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 4:40:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.