Wednesday, April 08, 2009
do watch these shows

If you have HBO there are two wonderful shows that came on, on Sunday night. The second installment of one and the return of the 2nd season of the other....Let me start with the 'return' of the 2nd season....."IN TREATMENT"....this is such a fabulous show. It is about a psychotherapist (Gabriel Byrne) and his patients....Last year it was on every night, five nights in a row, each week, for A Half-Hour, Monday through Friday. Each night we sat in on his 'session' with a different patient....for instance, Mondays was Laura. Tuesdays was Alex, Wednesdays was Sophie, Thursdays was Jake & Amy, and Fridays, the therapist, Paul, went to see his own therapist, Gina. Fascinating in every way.....At the time it first came on, I thought---how can I commit to this every night??? But, you know what? It was utterly addictive and it turned out to be a very easy and most enjoyable commitment....
The 'therapist' as I said, is played by Gabriel Byrne...who is superb. By doing very little, he delivered a lot---masterful acting, to say the least.....His own therapist is played by Diane Wiest....she too, was utterly sublime. There was one young actress I had never seen before who was Astounding. Mia Wasikowska. She was so good, that I thought she really was that girl and not an actress, at all....that takes some damn good acting---like no acting, at all....again, it was masterful! For me, of all the actors playing the 'patients', this young woman below, was like no one else I've ever seen.....And on top of everything else, she is Australian, and there was not even the slightest hint of an accent in her speech.....She is someone to watch!In season one, we got to meet the doctor's wife and his three children....all of these meetings were woven into each episode in the most natural of ways yet pretty confined to his office....The writing was wonderful and the direction, too....All in all, I loved every moment of it and was very happy to know it was coming back.....Well, it began again, with Season 2, this past Sunday night. The schedule is a little different this year....two episodes on Sundays, and three on Mondays, which is fine....I get my fix two nights in a row with the same amount of episodes that use to take 5 nights. This year....all new patients and the doctor has moved from Maryland to Brooklyn and is divorced. All very intriguing and utterly interesting in every way.....! If you have HBO, do watch this show. Of course it is repeated during the week a number of times, so you have many opportunities to see that weeks episodes. This is some of the BEST Television you will ever see. And if you don't have HBO, do rent the first season. It is truly great great television.



The other show, which is new this year, began last week as a two hour movie....it is called The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and takes place in Botswana and is based on a series of two very popular books by Alexander McCall Smith, It is a delightfully charming series and quite funny, plus, it touches on serious matters, as well.....Jill Scott plays the very first 'Lady Detective' in Botswana, and she is absolutely divine. Anika Noni Rose plays her secretary and is more than great. In fact, everyone in it is perfection. It is not like any "detective" show we have ever seen before and you will just have to watch it to see why--A Hint: It takes place in Botswana, South Africa. So, on Sunday night HBO has a blockbuster two hours.....'The No. 1 Lady Detective' and 'In Treatment' (And In Treatment continues, as previously stated, on Monday night---And let me tell you, it was really fascinating.....the wonderful John Mahoney, from "Frasier" fame, (He played Frasier and Niles' father) is the 'Thursday' patient and shows how incredibly versatile an actor he truly is-----It is a joy to see him in a really meaty role.....So, do yourself a great great favor...Watch these really entertaining and informative shows. I promise you, you will have a great time! And remember, the first season of 'In Treatment' is available on DVD.....I urge you to rent it if you do not get HBO!



More To Come.........



2:32pm-Note: Please forgive me for not visiting. So much is going on here. Continuing on-going PLUMBING Problems, dead Rats and now my dear Sweetie is having some 'throw-up' problems---I know it is not Hairballs, so what it is, is not clear yet....and about six other things I won't even go into.....I'll visit as soon as I can.....Thank you for your understanding....I tell you, it is all too much....!







26 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I saw 'The Detective Agency' when it first came out - it's now being repeated and I found it delightful Sunday night viewing.
I'll certainly look out for 'In Treatment'
The other day I watched an old film 'little Women' - one of my favourite books - and Gabrielle Byrne played Professor Baer(spelling?) I think we all have our own idea of what the Professor is like and no actor can really please everybody but he was pretty dam good.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 1:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm probably one of the few people who don't have HBO. I have the satellite dish with a million channels, but no HBO! In Treatment sounds like something I'd like, so I'll look for it. Thanks for the reviews, Naomi.

Any plumbing news?? ;)

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:51:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I've always been a big Diane Wiest fan since I saw her in Woody Allen's Hannah and Her Sisters. Marvelous actress.

Cheers.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 7:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't have HBO but shall check these out, thank you.

Meeting Seemah tomorrow Naomi :D

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 7:13:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

ah, poor sweetie! Upset stomachs are no fun! Give him a special scratch behind the ears from me!

(And check to make sure no rat poison traces are within his domain)

Happy holidays to all your bloggie buddies. It's a wonderful gift of nature, a harbinger of peace, when Christian and Hebrew holidays converge this way.

the fat lady

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 7:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh dear, pls forgive me, but's a fact I do live in another country, so commenting on TV-shows etc thats have not been released over here, will be false.
I only can say:
You are the best advisers for me what to watch when TV and Movies etc appears near me.

Have a Great Easter

hugs from
Norway my dear

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 9:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

In Treatment sure does look interesting. I don't have HBO, though, sadly.

I just wanted to offer a bit of encouragement regarding all that's going on with you. Just hang in there, take hope from the fact that things always seem to come in waves and then, after a bit, it will all settle down again. Sure hope Sweetie gets better. xoxo

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 9:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, you have certainly had a lot to deal with lately! I hope that all your problems will resolve soon. We have HBO, but I have not watched In Treatment. I have read several of the books in the #1 detective agency series, and they are really good.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 4:35:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Thanks for the great reviews. I'll have to check out these shows. Sorry about your on-going problems at your house and I hope Sweetie returns to normal very soon.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 5:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

ohh i like Gabriel Byrne! He had a little show some time ago that I loved but it got canceled (naturally, i liked it!) it was called Picked Fences. Roy Dotrice played his father and the interaction between them was so great! I wish that show had stayed on for a while, ah well.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 5:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,
First of all I hope that Sweetie is well and in good shape! Give a kiss to him!

I would love to see "In Treatment" show, but I haven't HBO... But I will rent a DVD with all those chapters. Looks great!

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 6:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

i dont have hbo either i use 2 i have showtime for big brother afterdark looks like i might need to get hbo now. hey also u were right on your guess come check out my post today got some awesome pics up!!!!

kisses

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 7:46:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a shame about Sweetie! Our doggie is sick too. He's been diagnosed with Cushing's Disease and we do not yet know what the treatment will be for him.

I hope the rat situation is getting better.

I also do not have HBO, but do rent the shows on DVD. Will check these out.

Take care,
Anne

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 8:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

OMG - I am glad that I clicked over here. I keep flipping to HBO wondering when In Treatment would be back!!!! I am almost as excited as if my favorite serial killer - Dexter where back for another season of cutting and dicing!!!!

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 6:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

We have HBO Canada and "In Treatment" seems to be on a lot ... surprisingly I've never watched it.

I read The Detective Agency but found it boring so didn't bother with the movie. Maybe I'll check it out ...

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 7:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'll keep my eyes peeled for those shows.

I'm sorry you're having so many issues! Sheesh, when it rains it pours, huh?

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 8:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great minds think alike. I've been watching N1LDA since the beginning and just discovered "In Treatment." These are two really great shows.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 1:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

No HBO here, either. Actually no cable either. We watch so little TV it doesn't make sense for us to pay more that the $7.97 we pay for the basics + a little more.
And good luck with the plumbing. And you Sweetie, too.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 4:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Sweetie's nerves are probably worn thin too with your plumbing issues and rats. You guys are in too much stress. I love HBO. So many of my favorite shows come from there.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 6:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hope things get better soon and I'll definitely try to remember to watch those shows..they sound intriguing.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 6:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

A Very Happy Easter to you, dear Naomi!

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 7:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I've never seen either of those shows. In Treatment sounds particularly interesting to me. I will have to rent it. I've always loved Gabriel Byrnes and Dianne Wiezt, so I think I'd really like this show.

I'm so sad to hear that Sweetie is having health problems. Let us know how he's doing if you can in your next post.

Take a deep breath and hang in there.
Life gets just too hectic some times!!!

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 10:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Because of your review and another I read, my husband and I gave this series a chance last night. I don't think I'd have watched it otherwise because I don't watch any series; but you were right. It's delightful and we laughed a lot at last night's episode. Long may it run and I will be sure and keep it on my try to see list.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 6:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Watched for the first time last night, adn will definitely be tuning in again. Not sure how I missed this one, but I need to catch up and watch all the episodes I've missed.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 7:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't have HBO, like Scarlet said, I too have a satellite dish...but no HBO.

I have been reading "The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency" books, and they are a delight. So different from the detective stories we are used to. Maybe, the show will be released on DVD and we will all be able to enjoy them someday.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 8:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

We don't get HBO here, so will have to wait until it comes out in DVD...

Gabriel Byrne is one of the sexiest men EVER....I have loved everything he's done too...an amazing actor. And I love Dianne Weist as well. Great cast.

And the Detective Agency series? I have read many of the books and loved them all. I think that character is one of my all time favourite characters in a novel. I would love to see this series.

thanks for letting us know about them.

and......bon chance with all those yucky things you are dealing with. my heart goes out to you x

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 10:40:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.