Saturday, June 20, 2009
farewell france, 1969

This is a picture of The Cote D'Azur.......I didn't take this picture but it covers a lot of the area that I visited so many years ago......I am having a hard time saying goodbye to these "French Trip" posts....and I do have a few more pictures that I had not posted...So, here is my 'farewell to france, 1969'........ Just to remind you where I was....This was the name of my father's house...It was named that when he bought it back in the late 1950's....And here below a few pictures of the house and surrounding environs..... This was another shot I took from the street, showing the entryway...It was not a very imposing entryway or street, as you can see below...... Here is the street in front of the house looking one way---it was the way you approached the house if you were coming towards me and my camera....You can see over on the left, that was the 'entryway' from the previous picture....And then, below, looking in the opposite direction..... Above is what you actually saw as you approached the house....As you can see, it is not a very wide street at this point....(now the entryway is on the right side of that picture above....just to give you a 'context'.....) I walked down the street further in that direction and the street got narrower and narrower....almost like an alley......But it was such a very beautiful alley....the old walls and all the foliage growing....and it truly looked like a 'back alley' of an ancient old hill town, didn't it? I love seeing that blue door waaaay in the distance.....Of course, the thing that made the house so appealing was not the street, but that it was right on The Med....... There was the street below the house, which you cannot see in the picture above. But it was the main road that everyone took to get around The Cap of 'Cap D'antibes' to go to all the other little towns. And though it was quite noisy, especially at night when trying to sleep, you were right there sitting on top of a bluff, overlooking this great beautiful sea....... Above, you can see the roadway that went all around 'The Cap'....This was the view looking towards the Antibes side, it was to the right of the house as you faced The Med....All the homes on the bluff side had their own little places right there on the edge of the water, where you could go in to The Med and swim, or dock a little boat while visiting a home up on the bluff.....But, make no mistake...it was the main road. And there it is below a little closer...... Going back to the so called 'entryway'....here below is a picture of Lou Miradou as you came through that first little gate to the walkway...... My room was on the ground floor on the left of that door right in the middle of the picture, behind the staircase---in fact, that was the door to my room....It was Daddy Joe's office and it had a 'day bed' in it which is where I happily slept.....It was private and I could come and go as I pleased, though I didn't do much of that.....lol. The staircase led up to the little deck above, where we would have breakfast or just sit and talk after a swim, or have drinks before dinner using these personalized paper coasters.....I love the look of the detailing on the side of the stairs, especially because this same detailing is everywhere in the house...... Below, a few pictures of what one saw when you were on that little deck... Above.....looking towards the 'entryway from the little deck.......And below, too..... Then, in this next picture we see Ninni...remember her? She is setting the little table for lunch.....this too, was the view from the little deck on the side of the house...... And then.....below....the view from the third side of the little deck...looking down onto the side where one could look out and see 'The Med'........But being that this was from above looking down onto the ground, you really cannot see much of the water........'The Med' is basically washed out in this picture above...but that is what is beyond in the horizon......And then below, a few more pictures of the garden around the house.... Everywhere you looked it was pretty. The garden was well cared for and yet wasn't so formal that you didn't feel at home..... I loved seeing the beauty of the flowers climbing up the wall here and there.....it was a very magical place in many respects....Comfortable and easy, and relaxed. Daddy and Olga made it possible for me to meet so very many interesting people that I know I would never have met had I not spent those three weeks there in The South Of France.....I found this card below----given to me at a special "luncheon" given by The Zulkahs, at a rather posh place...... If you can read any of the names on this card, besides the printed name----you will see, I had written down the Zulkahs name and Este & Joe Lauder....indeed, THE Este Lauder---I remember she gave me this beautiful little compact that had the Este Lauder perfume scent in it in the form of this sort of waxxy soft stuff---and you put your fingers on it and then dabbed the perfumed soft stuff behind each ear or wherever.....I sat next to a very nice woman who told me her Uncle and Aunt were from Los Angeles and were out on a yacht cruising The Med, right as we spoke. Remember the man who sat next to me on the plane coming from Los Angeles to Paris...the one who wanted me to do something unmentionable to him? It was her Uncle. Talk about a small world. (lol)I took this picture above on one of the first days of my visit. It was in Antibes and I loved that one could tell this was "wash day" for the entire building......I wonder if people there are still hanging their wash on the line as they did almost forty years ago.... I really love this picture of the roof of The Madoura Gallerie....The angle was so very interesting to me and you get a real sense of the age of this wonderful building....And below, one more shot of the interior of the Gallerie, on the day of the reception for Picasso...... And then below, a few more pictures of The Columbe D'Or Hotel.......I loved this place. And I always thought if I ever went back to this area---this is where I would like to stay...... The lovely entryway and patio where one could have a bite of Breakfast or Lunch and enjoy the beautiful Wild Flowers that were sitting in big beautiful terracotta puts all around..... And out by the pool...here below is a picture of Shirl Goedike---the Artist I knew from Los Angeles---with Olga.... Again....this was such a relaxed wonderful place....everyone at ease and just being themselves. No need to "dress up"...the feeling there was that people were very very comfortable in their own skin....I liked that a lot! And this picture below was what I saw after coming out of the Hotel as we began our little walk around St. Paul de Vence..... So much history.....so very different than any place I had ever seen at that time. I love those kids walking up there on the top of that old wall.....St. Paul de Vence----a place that was utterly fascinating. And this picture below---a Bird, sitting on the side of the Hotel....not a great picture I'm sorry to say...but, it is a French Pigeon...... I also love the fact that the building shows it's age. The shutters, too...That there wasn't this need to "doll things up"....What there was, was such a respect for the past and all that the past means right now, in the present.

So, there you have it.....Visiting happier days. Re-visiting memories that are still, in many ways, fresh and new....Not all of them of course, but enough so that I could once again enjoy putting this all together....Having all these pictures and these memento's helped to hold the memories fast and clear......So, one last time....Here are Olga and Daddy...... They had a very good life together...And there is no doubt that Olga made my fathers life so much richer and fuller than it had been in a very long time....She was really responible for bringing me and my siblings back into his life in a closer and more 'real' way....I know her contribution to making this trip so wonderful for me was huge in every way....And because she is only twelve years older than me---we had lots of fun! Villa Lou Miradou was sold about a year later....I don't remember why Daddy wanted to give it up, but after almost 16 years, I think he needed to do other things during the summer months. Daddy and Olga traveled a great deal....they even went to China. I can only say that to have had the opportunity to spend these three weeks with my father and Olga was and still is one of the most memorable times of my life where he was concerned. And of course it was very exciting and fascinating meeting all these truly fantastic people....But, for me, as I have said before, this was the longest period of time I had spent with my father, under the same roof, since I was ten years old and I had just turned 38 that year.....And we never had this kind of time together again.....It is just the way the cards fell. I don't mean I didn't see him---of course I did----but not like this and not when he was so relaxed and at ease, and never for three weeks again.....These were indeed, precious precious days!




More To Come.......





Note: I so wish I had more special trips to write about...it has been a very good thing for me to be working on these posts during this truly terrible time.....What will come next...I don't know. But I thank you all for your lovely comments on this trip---it pleases me no end that you all have enjoyed this journey so very very much, especially because I have had such a great time putting it all together! And I thank you all so very much for your caring understanding during this unbearable loss.....As they say in France, Merci Beaucoup....Very Very Much......









28 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

It was indeed a wonderful journey back in time. Especially if the certain place hold special memories and such. It was really a blast reading the entire series as if we were there with you. And lastly, the pictures you took are just amazing!

Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 3:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The trip for us was wonderful. You made us feel very included which is both a talent and a trait.
That house was wonderful and you answered my question as to what happened to it. Wonder how it has faired today.
Love that you got to meet the relative of the "masher".
I guess my favorite pictue of your Father is the one with Olga. You can see the love.They are so cute.
It is great that you had such a wonderful time with your Father,saw so much, met such facinating people, that you took so many pictures, and that you shared with us. Thank you.

Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 8:29:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Quite selfishly, I'm said this series has ended. It's been a very enlightening and enjoyable read. I'm glad writing about your time in France has helped you. Our continued good wishes, dear.

Cheers.

Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 9:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I've really enjoyed this journey with you, and I'm sad that it has come to an end. Wonderful memories for you to look back on! And I wonder who is enjoying Lou Miradou now?

Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 10:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

it is so hard to show a time you cherish when the moments of your life now are not. But focus on those good moments is a good thing.. it does help, even if just a little.
What a fabulous 3 weeks of your life Naomi!! thank you for sharing it with all your wonderful photos!!

Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 12:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for sharing this with us. I am not surprised you have so many wonderful memories as they are indeed amazing. Even the people you met plus being able to spend that time with your father, precious indeed. I am just so glad you have all those wonderful photos and now its all documented on your blog which is the best thing of all.

I feel I have gone on a French holiday now too, thanks to you. You have a way with words. Please do post another one of your trips when you are feeling up to it. Your memories are worth retelling and your photos are truly delightful. So glad I found your blog via Loving Annie. Thank you. And take care and best wishes to you.

Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 5:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

They say "all good things must come to an end," but not really. We'll always have all these wonderufl photos and descriptions from your 3 weeks in France here on your blog to revisit anytime.

The streets, old buildings and the wild flowers are just charming. I love that you were able to spend all this time relaxing and enjoying the company of your father. Those memories will always be there, as well as the memories of your friend. I know you are going through a tough time, and I want you to know I've been thinking about you and wishing you peace and a light heart.

Btw, I love the photos of the garden around the house, and the kids walking on top of the old wall. They're fantastic!

Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 7:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for a wonderful series of lovely France 1969 Naomi. It certainly brought back fond memories for you.

May I know if this house is till situated in France or do you have any idea who is was sold to by your Father?

I've enjoyed this very much Naomi and I hope you are feeling better and better everyday :)

Hugs & Kisses!!

Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 12:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you so much for sharing that trip and time with all of us. It was amazing. It's so nice that you got to spend that time with your daddy. I hope you are feeling better.

Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 12:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Very wonderful trip indeed and thanks for sharing and sometimes when we lose some one or something its best to talk about it esp in this era with the internet. People have friends all over the country..

Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 4:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, it was indeed a marvelous trip you share with us! I LOVED to see your France series. Lovely memories and nice photos. You did a GREAT job here! Just amazing!

So lovely your Dad's house. It looks so agreeable, so cozy and what a fantastic view! Really, the alley is very beautiful and the old walls and all the foliage are just gorgeous!

I am glad you had a lovely time with your father and Olga. Those adorable moments in our lives are precious.

Have a nice Sunday!

Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 8:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I have really enjoyed these stories, Naomi. I wonder what the Villa is like today.

Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 6:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have answered my own question. The Villa has a website:
http://www.miradou.co.uk/
xo

Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 6:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you so much for doing this series of posts!

I hope you're doing better.

Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 7:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, what surprises me is that you still have all the photos from that time, and so many of them!! You make me wish I had taken more photos throughout my life, especially when we traveled. This is indeed a wonderful series and I thank you for posting all of it. I know it takes a lot of time to post all those pix!

Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 8:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Like everyone else, I could have read these forever. I thought I had left a comment last night when I first read this, but I guess I just went to straight to the beginning. Yes, last night I started at the beginning and read them all again. You should make a special place for these France trips on your sidebar. Este Lauder? That's crazy fun.

Monday, June 22, 2009 at 12:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for putting up these beautiful photos of your trip. I have so enjoyed them and the gates, red chairs...the wildflowers. All just beautiful!

Monday, June 22, 2009 at 8:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I hate to see this series end Naomi, but it's sure been fun getting to relive your memories of this wonderful time in your life. I do love the old buildings and all the flowers and vines that grow everywhere. It was truly a lovely place!

I'm glad getting these together have helped you, as I know you miss your friend.

Hugs to you dear lady!

Monday, June 22, 2009 at 8:52:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

How do you bring yourself to leave someplace so beautiful? I could have stayed there for years, taking pictures, learning the language, visiting galaries. *sigh* Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed living vicariously through your experiences.

Monday, June 22, 2009 at 10:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

WE all so enjoyed traveling along with you on your journey in Paris. I could feel so much life in your "posts" and yesterday being Fathers Day, what a nice way to end your posts. You were able to introduce us to him and share a bit of his and your life together!!! HUGZ and thank you!!! Happy Fathers Day Joseph H. Hirshhorn on what ever plane you roam!

Monday, June 22, 2009 at 10:49:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Shakespeare had it so right....Parting is such sweet sorrow.
I truly, truly hate to see these end! I only hope that you enjoyed putting these posts together for us as much as I enjoyed reading them and looking at all the photos. I feel like I've completed reading a superb novel!
I think that photo of your father and Olga says so much. Love that picture of the two of them.
I didn't realize your dad owned the Villa for 16 years, so he certainly enjoyed a good amount of time there.
Thank you again, Naomi for opening your heart and your memories for us, your readers.
And like Boggy said in Casablanca, I say to you, Naomi......We'll always have France! (okay, so he said "Paris"...lol)
Au revoir.....A tout a l'heure.
(Thinking of you and hoping you're doing okay, my friend)

Monday, June 22, 2009 at 2:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You've been a wonderful tour guide, Naomi !

Truly a beautiful and special time and place.

I'm so sorry you hurt... My empathy... Been there/done that, and it feels endless those first few months...
((hugs))

Monday, June 22, 2009 at 6:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I keep coming back to look at all the photos from your "France, 1969" series. Such amazing photos and stories, and how lucky you were to have visited such a beautiful place. Your father's home was beyond fabulous...stunning in every possible way.

I love that Olga changed your father's life. The love of a good woman can do wonderful things for a man.

Again, thank you for inviting us into this little window of your life. It's been a true pleasure to see all of this through your eyes.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 7:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your France posts have been marvelous. I'm glad you enjoyed writing them, and you KNOW we enjoyed reading them.
Este Lauder... how neat!
That photo of Olga and your dad snuggling towards each other is a really sweet photo.
Your trip was a once in a lifetime adventure.
Thanks for sharing it!!!!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 9:15:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I'm so glad you had that precious three weeks with your father; as I have always said it's the quality of life rather than the quantity and well done Olga for being the catalyst that brought you and our father closer.
It is wonderful the way those pictures blow up and capture the inimitable Sud de France. Many thanks for sharing those memories.
BTW if you you start a followers thingy I can be a follower and then I will always know when you have done a post. I started one so it must be fairly easy:)

Thursday, June 25, 2009 at 1:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Fabulous Naomi! Can't believe this series of posts have come to an end - I seriously enjoyed them.

I was just thinking when I was reading this post that it must have cost you a small fortune to get all those films developed back in 1969! *heehee*

Thursday, June 25, 2009 at 9:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Everything had such a rosy glow.

Friday, June 26, 2009 at 4:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I must admit your retro-report from The Riviera, has been a wonderful experience for me. (You know I was there too in 1969).
I so sincerly thank you for all the effort and reseach you have done to give your bloggerfriends such an insight into how it was back then.

You have made my way back on memory lanes than nobody else.

And this year, I'm returning down there.

Thanks for sharing

hugs
Tor

Monday, June 29, 2009 at 3:57:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.