Monday, March 02, 2009
yellowbird

Not having much to share on my blog these days, I thought it might be fun to make up my own Photo Meme.....So, I went to my LAST NAMED FILE FOLDER and it is called "Yellowbird"....These were pictures of some Goldfinches that visited my garden during the summer of 2007, when this beautiful big Agave was flowering.....! I used a similar photo to the one above on my 2008 Calendar....his little head not quite as 'cocked' as it is in this picture above..... These are such very very beautiful birds.....And truthfully, I hadn't seen any before this Agave flowered....They may have been here in my garden, but I never saw them until the 'flowering', and then, while these two Agave's Flowered at the same time---an unusual thing to have happen---I saw hundreds of Hummingbirds and many many Goldfinches, as well as many many other birds.....Something about the nectar of these flowers attracted so very many birds, as well as hundreds of Bees, too..... I was lucky to get as many pictures of each of these Goldfinches as I did----and, they were taken from quite far away....Thank God for long lenses....and for cropping, too.....lol.....Since that time, I have rarely seen any Goldfinches. Once in a great while, when there is something particularly sweet blooming and I just happen to be out on my deck with my camera, I might be lucky enough to see a Goldfinch. When they were here during that almost two month period with the flowering Agave's, often, they would drink and/or bath at my Fountain Sculpture......that was always fun to see, too.....! But, mostly, they spent time on the Agave Flowers.....And catching them in odd positions was really great great fun...... Above, here is one, just about to 'lite' on some of those beautiful flowers.....I sure wish I could have tasted what all these dear birds got a chance to taste---but the flowers were too high up for me. There was another Agave that flowered maybe twelve years ago----it was closer and I could reach up and put my finger on the nectar....Oh My! It was sweeter than honey! All I know is....these birds really zero in on the best of the best and here above, I wonder if he is 'crowing' over his discovery or maybe telling his or her mate about the good stuff over at Naomi's house......(lol)...... How pretty is he? Oh, my! These birds are really the most GORGEOUS yellow you will ever see...So rich and deep....And next to the Black and that little bit of white sometimes, well....they are the handsomest most elegant of birds.....!Even after these little flower pods started to wane...these dear birds kept coming----I guess because there was still a lot of good stuff there to be enjoyed...... And here above.....the flowers are almost all gone. What's left is drying up and will eventually fall of the plant or get blown away by the breezes and the wind....But while there is still anything there to sup on.....The Goldfinches, along with all the other birds, were still there, getting every bit of juice there was to get.....Such Smart Birds!





More To Come.......













30 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Amazing photos Naomi and great that you didn't lose him against the yellow background. Started me thinking and I got a picture of Angela Lansbury singing 'Little Yellow Bird' before the hero did the dirty on her. I've looked it up - 1945 - so I was 15 but it made a great impression on me.
I hope you remember it too.
The film was 'The Picture of Dorian Gray.'

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 3:43:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Yes great photo's. I love the yellow bird. Its beautiful..

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 6:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

These Goldfinches are beautiful. You get the most adorable visitors in your garden, and I can see why they enjoy their stay. Those flowers are amazing.

Thanks for sharing your Yellowbird file with us. I wouldn't mind seeing more of your photo files!

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 6:14:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

They are stunning........hmmm I wonder if this is where V*era Br*adley got the inspiration for her purse pattern "yellow bird" from?!

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 6:36:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, LOVE these Goldfinches's photos. And what a gorgeous these yellow flowers! Seeing your garden is always a great pleasure!

Thanks so much for your many comments on Leituras!

Have a nice week ahead!

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 7:41:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I remember very well when these beautiful birds were daily visitors to your garden. We were treated to sa many colourful photos from your garden of all your feathered visitors. I swear you must have camped out on your balcony with your camera! :)

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 11:30:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

They are really beautiful birds, Naomi, and so are your photos of them.

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 12:44:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Awesome photos as usual Naomi...The Yellow JUST POPS off my new laptop screen! lol..its amazing..thanks so much for sharing...always such a pleasure coming here!

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 12:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I could be wrong. I love birds- but I am not the best identifier. The birds look so big to be goldfinches. Are you sure they aren't orioles? The first time I had the latter I was certain someone's exotic bird escaped its cage. Every year more come in, and earlier too. In any case- whichever yours are- they are GORGEOUS.

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 1:55:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

They are beautiful!! I do not think I have ever seen one! I just love birds!! I saw my first eagle in the wild this year and was so darn impressed, I was like a little kid running down the beach pointing and screaming! hahaha My daughter just looked at the people and said, Yup, that's my mom!!

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 3:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi,

It is always a joy to visit your blog, I never know what delight awaits me until I get here. Thanks for sharing these lovely photos and explaining a little about the cute little birds.

Ann

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 3:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Gorgeous colours!

It's too cold for our birds. Brrrr!

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 3:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh my gosh Naomi - those photos are unbelievably beautiful - they rock my soul. xo

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 5:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Monday evening Naomi. Hope you stay warm and dry if it rains tonight.

Those colorful birds are beautiful, Naomi ! It must have been exquisite to see hundreds of hummingbirds and the goldfinches too in your garden when the agave's flowered :)

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 6:07:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful bird, Naomi..... Spring is coming early to you..

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 7:17:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You know Naomi, I've never seen one of them before so I am especially thrilled with today's post. It's quite enjoyable actually. Thanks for brightening my day.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 6:16:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

he's beautiful! and so are the flowers

I love your nature photos, they show the love you have for all around you

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 12:03:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

They are beautiful and I love your water sculpture! I wish I had one of those! What a wonderful paradise your garden is for the birds! Bless you!!

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 1:18:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Gee, this made me look out my window for birds. Yeah, after a snowstorm yesterday. I got nothing. These are elegant. Snotty even, in a really good way.....
~Mary

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 2:53:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi the photos looked like a painting I kept looking and thinking these can't be photographs.

What beautiful memories and the details of the birds and flowers were amazing.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 5:54:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh, Naomi, how did you know how much I needed to see those brilliant sunny photos! I am tired of winter. Thanks again.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 6:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, yellow yellow champion hero ;)

Love this yellowbird, I know why he is a champion now :D

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 7:07:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

They are such a bright sight for sore eyes. Literally. I never wear sunglasses but in the snow I wished I had them. I feel like a buttercup just lit up under my chin making me say I love yellow birds.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 7:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I started buying Agave syrup and thought of you when scoping out the bottles. I thought you had some growing in your garden. Lovely, lovely yellow birds. I just love the color and happiness in each of them.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at 5:40:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi

Great post and gorgeous photos of the birds.

Reminded me of birds in Trinidad.

Love,
Herrad

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at 9:12:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

So springtimey!

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at 3:51:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi,

I just got back from Mexico where I saw a bird with similar markings except the bright color was orange.

Very beautiful.

Cheers.

Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 9:09:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love your sense for the nature and the way you replicate your observations via your brilliant captures.

It's said that Yellow Birds have been observed in the Southern Part of Norway. I don't if it's a fact, but I would like to see this wonderful Bird.

TThanks for sharing

Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 1:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm enjoying watching the new birds where I've moved to---finches, many robins.

Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 5:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That one bird with the open beak looks just as you said... like he's calling out something.
Here's what I imagine him saying,
"Attention! Free food at Noami's! Come and get it!!!"
:-)
Such pretty birds.
I hope all is well with you. Taylor is up at my parents' house for the weekend. He is being fed very well by his Granny, and he's loving it. I'll be back in CA late next Thursday night. Courtney flies into southern CA the next evening. I'll be in touch with you after that, and we can finalize our plans for the evening of the 19th.
Until then... I'll be checking back to your blog to see what's up here.

Saturday, March 7, 2009 at 7:53:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.