Monday, February 23, 2009
and the oscar goes to......


STREAMING.....Running Commentary......

4:41 Jumping around from ABC---not so hot----To E! They really know how to do this Red Carpet Stuff.....The Women Look FABULOUS! Elegant! Natalie Portman--STUNNING....Meryl---Right On The Money! Anne Hathaway....Beautiful!
The men looking pretty damned good to----in between endless endless endless ENDLESS commercials......

4:48 Angelina---Classy, Classy.....! Beyonce! Amazing....Kate Winslet---Gorgeous....! These ladies have gone all out....And I LOVE it!

5:01 The Good Year Blimp...from out on my deck...this is how it looked, all lit up. I have no idea what they were actually 'selling', but I think it had to do with The Red Carpet and Channel 7......Now, I am going to settle down for the "Official" Red Carpet stuff on ABC.....

5:02 Sarah Jessica and Mathew--looking good, but a little strained....Taraji Hensen--Happy As Can Be...enjoying it all....Frank Langella---great great Actor---underrated, too....Could he take the Oscar home tonight? A 'dark horse'? Maybe.....

5:17 I finally saw the incandescent Viola Davis, looking incredible....And calm, too! With her husband by her side...She is in a very beautiful gold dress.....I've got my fingers crossed for her.....though, it feels like Penelope Cruz may take Oscar home with her....Still....we don't know yet.

The show gets going...HOORAY!

No more running streaming, for now......

5:52 BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: It WAS Penelope Cruz....HOORAY for her! And What a brilliant and moving way to introduce this category....I LOVED THIS. I cried to see these great talented women, paying homage to these five incredibly talented young women! BRAVO, Academy. And what Penelope Cruz said is so very true. Art is the Universal Language. We must protect it and nurture it, for all time. But, but....I am disappointed that Viola Davis did not win! Hopefully, there will be other chances for her.....

Lost Track Of Time: Best Original Screenplay....."MILK" by Lance Black. Mr. Black's speech was deeply deeply moving....It makes my proud to be a part of an industry and an Art Form that produces so many people with so much talent and so much heart! Beautiful, Beautiful.....

6:20 Jazz behind the Set-Design/Set Decorator, Costume Design, Make up category??? WRONG! An interesting idea that just didn't work, for me, PLUS---it was too loud....The balance was off. Too bad, because those three category's are really important.

6:30 Ben Stiller as Joquin Phoenix, as he appeared on Letterman....was HILARIOUS! Natalie Portman did well with this true silliness....! I LOVED this! This was another bright spot of humor, along with Steve Martin and Tina Fey, that brought a wonderful light touch to the evening....Well..I got so caught up, I just stopped "live" running streaming blogging.....Soooo.....Let's go right to the Meat here.....

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR..... Heath Ledger....A no brainer! Again, I loved the idea of having 5 past Oscar Winners introduce each of the Actors....this to me was a genius touch this year.....The Acceptance speeches by Ledger's family....very very moving....

BEST ACTRESS: Kate Winslet...was the "conventional wisdom" and she won. I LOVED her speech....it was moving and so very heartfelt......I found, once again, the introduction of these 5 talented women by 5 other very talented women, deeply meaningful...I loved that the camera lingered on each "set" so we could see the Nominated Actresses reaction to being introduced by a previous winner---Particularly Ann Hathaway and Shirley McLaine....How moved Anne Hathaway was....very touching

BEST ACTOR: Sean Penn: the 'conventional wisdom' was correct, once again.....I absolutely loved his speech and he was amazing as Harvey Milk. Again, a speech like that makes me so very proud to be a part of a group of Artists who are bright, intelligent, and talented, and who care so very much about the issues of our time and about humanity....Plus---He gave Mickey Roarke a beautiful tribute---very very classy, indeed.....

BEST PICTURE & BEST DIRECTOR: Indeed. "Slumdog Millionaire" and Danny Boyle.....this movie is 'The Little Engine That Could"....I loved Danny Boyle thanking Warner Bros. for deciding NOT to make the picture so that Fox Searchlight could!!! There is nothing easy about this business....and it IS a business. I have said it before---it is a Miracle when all the elements that go into making a film actually come together so that you truly end up having made some kind of "Art". Will this film be remembered 69 years from now? Well.....I don't think so.....But it is a very "feel good" film for our times....So bless them all, this little band of artists.

Jumping around: I thought Hugh Jackman did BEAUTIFULLY.....The Opening number was wonderfully funny....The Stage looked glorious and glamorous....On that second BIG Production number---"Top Hat"...while it was a wonderful idea, for me, there was too much going on all at the same time...and the transitions from song to song were not too swift--PLUS, the Film Clips being shown in the background got lost in all the busy-ness.....

I liked the Movie Tributes of 2008, in each category.....Again, a good idea.

The Jerry Lewis Tribute seemed 'slight' to me. I didn't feel Eddie Murphy was very good at his introduction, which is too bad....Jerry Lewis deserved better than that. It has always interested me that we have never really appreciated Jerry Lewis the way people in Europe have...Particularly in France. He is revered there for his comedic cinematic talents. and his unique contributions to film....Here? Well, he has never had that kind of admiration....

The Music Awards were handled rather strangely, too, I thought.....Not so much the Best Score...that was okay. But the Best Song....well, that category hasn't been what it used to be for many many years, anyway...so, maybe they should eliminate it, all together....But to try and do a "medley" of these three songs--two from "Slumdog"---Well, that didn't work too well, for me.

My very favorite thing about this years Oscars? THEY LET THE WINNERS GIVE REAL SPEECHES! Especially in the main category's that we the home viewers are interested in, too. Finally, we can have the great great pleasure of hearing what all these talented people feel about getting an Oscar without being played off the stage...BRAVO!

All in all, I thought it was a very good show. Very satisfying on the emotional-feeling level, as well as being great to look at.

Very fews pictures today.....I've had some heavy-duty problems with my Computer...So....in the interest of not letting too much time go by, forgive the absence of a lot of photographs......


More To Come.....with pictures....(I Hope).....

NOTE: I DO NOT KNOW WHY MY BLOG CANNOT BE READ IN FIREFOX...BUT, IF IT LOOKS ALL JUMBLED UP....GO TO INTERNET EXPLORER OR SAFARI....THANKS SO MUCH.









21 Comments:
had this to say:

Naomi,
Have you ever had the privilege of attending an Academy Awards ceremony -- or even an Oscar after-party?
Perhaps the Tony Awards are something more suited to your interests and circles...

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 3:38:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I thought it was one of the best shows ever. And agree with all your takes. Some things were so odd. And Jerry did deserve better. I loved the set and Hugh. Yes, very classy of Penn, who has had similar trips, but for...

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 4:06:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I tried to watch it all, Naomi, but apparently I fell asleep through some of it. I agree with most of what you say, especially the music portions. I loved the Jackman song and dance with Beyonce (who is so gorgeous) and while I liked the song that won from Slumdog, I thought the other one was too much Bollywood after teh first one.

I really liked the way they presented the awards; having previous winners walk out and say something to and about the nominees was genius and so satisfying, for the most part. This Oscars was much better than last year!

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 4:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi, I enjoyed watching the Oscars this year that I couldn't sleep at all!!!!

So entertaining and I think I have lots to catch up in terms of the movies :D

Have a nice day and yes, sometimes blogger gaves me problem in uploading my pics too.

Take care.

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 4:26:00 PM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Hi Naomi! Sorry I haven't commented lately. I kept coming by but your page was a mess. Pictures and text all over top one another, I really couldn't read a thing. I've been using Firefox to access your page. Tonight I thought I'd try Internet Explorer and discovered everything was fine using that browser. I don't know what the deal is with the other browser and it seems to only be affecting your page. BTW, I watched the Oscars. I loved it! Better than most years, but my favorite opening of all time was the one with Jon Stewart. Oh and I loved the gowns! One thing that bothered me was Jen having to give the animation award, a nominee was the Panda movie that Angelina did a voice for, and Brad and Angie were sitting in front of her while she did her bit. I thought that couldn't have been easy or comfortable for Jen. Was I over-reacting?

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 5:15:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,
I'm reading your blog in Firefox & it looks just fine. I missed the Academy Awards, so thanks for writing this. I did DVR the red carpet show, I love to see the beautiful dresses!

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 6:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Enjoyed your commentary on the show. I didn't see all of it, but I enjoyed Hugh's singing and dancing and esp. when he sang and danced with Anne H. as Frost and Nixon. Anne is quite a little singer also.

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 7:57:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm with you, Naomi. My favorite part was the way they had past winners honor the nominated actors before the winner. I thought it honored the past winners as well as each nominated actor. I got chocked up several times. My second favorite parts was Sean Penn's speech. Although I wanted him to say a kind word to his beautiful wife. I thought everyone looked great. I love the whole event and have since I can remember.

I hope you can get someone to sort out the blog problem. I'm glad the there is the explorer option.

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 8:55:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I enjoyed this year's Academy Awards very much indeed! It's so magical to me!

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 9:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I am so happy not to have any problems viewing your blog.
My favorite moment was when Kate Winslet asked for Daddy to whistle- and he did. Even at the peak of fame- that is as unjaded as it gets.
I vote for Hugh Jackman to host every year. His happiness comes across the screen. I like that better than anyone's political speech- although my opinion is that when someone wins an award- let them say whatever is in their heart. They earned the moment.

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 10:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I agree, loved what Hugh Jackman did! And I loved all the ladies fabulous dresses... well, most of them.... no weird and wonderful outfits that looked like dead swans!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 5:30:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Good morning to you, dear Naomi !

I wasn't able to see it, but it sounds wonderfully done this year thanks to your descriptions !

I did see pictures of the dresses afterwards on the computer, and the ladies were so elegant this year !

What talented people - they truly deserve awards for their achievements !

Have you ever been ? You have such an involved background in the industry.

Glad Hugh Jackman did such a good job !

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 6:33:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I sooo wish I could have watched it with you. What a treat that woud be. I thought I was going to see the highlights last night but then realised it was on Sky which we don't have.
Still reading you is the next best thing and any pictures would be marvellous.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 6:37:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I can't get my comments to take for some reason!

I loved Ben Stiller's bit too. That was my favorite part I think. And the Pineapple Express routine for the comedy movies. I thought this was just a great year. I liked having 5 previous winners give the award out. And I too thought Eddie Murphy did a pitiful job as Jerry Lewis's introducer. But Hugh Jackman was fantastic. I thought Jack Black and Jennifer Anniston were cute too.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 7:14:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I don't pretend to understand these things,
but Firefox will give a readable display
(with some format loss of course)
if you change the VIEW...Page Style option from "Basic Page Style" to "No Style"

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 10:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Ashamed to say I didn't even watch the Oscar's nor am I familiar with all of the movies you speak of.
I USED to be all about the entertainment industry. No time now I guess.

I did hear Sean Penn gave a very moving speech though.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 10:22:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hey Naomi. :) Fun to read your thoughts...I too loved the previous winners introducing the nominees..i was all choked up when the best supporting actresses walked out...and then the way they expressively talk directly to the nominees was so heartfelt. well done.

I remember seeing Kate Winslet for the first time in Sense and Sensibility (she mentioned Emma Thompson in her acceptance speech which I thought was so nice...i've always figured they were close after doing that movie together) and I was blown away by her then....like Cate Blanchett, Winslet is a cut above.

Great evening all around.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 1:57:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I truly enjoyed every bit of the show. Especially loved that they allowed the winners to speak. I enjoy hearing the winners personalities and feelings when they are surprised, honored, excited.

My favorite part was the intro of the acting categories...such wonderful tributes by some wonderful actors.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 6:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You're right ... it works better with IE rather than Firefox.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 6:19:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I also loved Winslet's speech, especially when she mentioned her dad and the camera panned to him in the audience. I caught all the highlights the next day.
I haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire, but enough clips to know what it's about and I have to agree. It's a "feel good" movie for a time in our country when we'll take all the "feel good" we can!
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Saturday, February 28, 2009 at 3:35:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a great post, Naomi! Unfortunatelly this year I could not see the Oscar, because that night there were many rain here and I turn off the PC and TV.

There are many movies I would like to see soon!

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 8:05:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.