Thursday, June 12, 2008
hummingbird


You are all probably bored with my little Videos....but, this one is a Hummingbird, hovering around the Waterfall down below in my garden.....I wish I could have gotten closer to him, but from my deck, this was as close as I could get.....Many of you will remember that last summer I had dozens of Hummingbirds visiting my Garden because of these two Agave plants that both flowered at the same time.....


The stalk of this flowering was probably 35 or 40 feet tall on both of these plants and each had around 15 to 18....some 21 and more, Flower Pods....These pods had gorgeous yellow nectar filled flowers that the Hummingbirds absolutely adored.....For 12 hours a day, Hummingbirds flocked to both these plants like Bees to Honey.....and there were bee's that came as well, plus many other birds....It was quite a show, every day for a good seven or eight weeks....The only downside of this splendid flowering is that the plant dies after it is done flowering.....So, though I would love to have more Agave's Flower I really don't want any more plants to die....Here below are some more lovely Hummingbirds caught by my camera..... Sometimes I was able to get closer than other times and with the magic of the computer, I could enlarge when needed, too.... I took probably two thousand pictures and have only shown a handful or two, before.....None of these pictures were posted on my blog before, though there were some quite similar..... Do click on these to make them larger....in some cases you can see the softness of the feathers....There is something so lovable about Hummingbirds.....They are very very endearing. It is difficult to pick and choose what I'd like to post...there were so many wonderful little Hummers.... This one above is almost like a painting....! I will be showing more of these pictures because there were so very many more that were pretty amazing.....This last one below shows two Hummingbirds having a bit of a feast..... I have some more pictures where you can see three Hummers all feasting together....I must say these two months or so, were some of the most exciting in my photographing life....To see that many Hummingbirds every day was more than thrilling......




More To Come.........











22 Comments:
had this to say:

You totally blow me away when you post Hummingbird photos! (and videos lol) I miss seeing the little beauties, so I'm glad you add them to your blog!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 4:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

We are not bored Naomi, you took the effort to snap these pretty photos and shared it with us, we are grateful :D

Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 5:28:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, I love hummingbirds! A friend of mine on Vashon Island will have a hundred or more at a time. Last time I was there, there were a dozen or so flying around us, and she was bitterly disappointed that there were so few! I was enchanted.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 7:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Brilliant pictures!! I have just bought a new camera in the hope that Dad can get some decent pics! A Nikon SLR, Should be ok!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 9:22:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Boring????? Not!!!!

Your photos give us a glimpse of nature otherwise not seen in my area and I'm glad to see these kinds of posts from you.

Now, if I could only figure out how to get the photos in the right places on my blog, I'd be in business since I have bought a 4 in 1 printer/fax/copier/scanner and can now post photos to my blog.

I never get the photo in the right place near the printed part. All my photos appear at top of blog only. Hence my boring blogs. LOL

Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 10:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I never tire of your videos Naomi!! I love them! You are so right...the birds are so dear, and I love your water feature! I wish we had one but I can just see the raccoons bathing it in now! They get in the cat's water and mess it all up! But they are cute too!!

I haven't seen many hummers around here. Saw one yesterday and that was the first one I'd see in a long time.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 11:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your photos and videos are far from boring. I imagine you get almost as much pleasure in sharing the photos as in taking them. And it is a different world from the one I live in. I look forward to seeing the little corner of your world as you see it.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 1:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm never bored with your videos or photos, Naomi! I love to see your birds, from hummers to hawks!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 1:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Like you, I could sit all day and watch those Hummingbirds. As long as they weren't fluttering around my head (I have a fear of birds getting in my hair!) I'd be fine. Magnificent creatures...

Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 2:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

There are tons of hummingbirds at Gord's parents' place ... very cool!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 8:05:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hey, Naomi. I've been away but am catching up.

We've got a hummingbird feeder at our house, but I get so caught up in watching them that I don't grab the camera.

Thanks for making up for my oversight.

Cheers.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 10:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I so love hummingbirds! I like how when the video ends, it freezes the bird's wings in place. I can't remember if I told you my weird hummingbird story: A few years back I was smoking on the patio and standing on the step looking through the glass door at the TV. I put out my cigarette and walked inside, then turned back for some reason and there was a hummingbird right there on the other side of the glass right where I had been standing. Later that night, I took off my white T-shirt and as I pulled it off I noticed the design on the back. It was a bright red logo about the size and shape of a flower!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 10:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How could anyone be bored with your beautiful blog? I could die happy-watching birds all day.

Friday, June 13, 2008 at 2:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Rest assured that I am in no way bored with your videos, photos or narratives in any way. Visiting your blog is always a pleasure :)

I remember well, the lovely posts last year of the humming birds. They are such dear little creatures and a novelty for me as we simply don't have them here in the UK! Do you have humming bird feeders on your balcony? That could be agreat way to tempt them into your garden and photograph them quite closely.

Friday, June 13, 2008 at 9:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I just love little hummingbirds, they are the most amazing birds, I never can get my fill of them. I use to watch them come to my feeders when we lived in Maryland. I just never got tired of watching them. So I can relate to your excitement.

Have a safe and fun week-end.

Friday, June 13, 2008 at 9:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your outside photos. I'm not a fan of outdoors because it's so hot but I like looking at it!

Friday, June 13, 2008 at 3:19:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

OH, your hummingbirds are so beautiful! I put my hummingbird feeder out about a month ago, but so far I've only seen ONE. Send some over here to my island, please!
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Saturday, June 14, 2008 at 5:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You captured a good video of that little hummer!
I remember trying to get a good video of them when I was there. It was nearly impossible with the way they flit about so quickly, plus my camera would not zoom in enough.
For part of the video, that little feller looked kind of like a bat with the way his wings were flapping.
The other bird was enjoy his bath and a few sips of water from the fountain. I never noticed that fountain, so next time I visit, I will have to see it.
I have two fountains in my house. They are small, but I love the sound of the trickling water. I plan to have a birdbath and some feeders and a fountain or two in my yard some day.
I share your joy of bird watching.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 3:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How could I ever be bored with ANYTHING you had to say or show me?

I think you're AWESOME.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 9:25:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

It's great to see them actually still. Wonderful photos. You can tell he adores the yellow.

Monday, June 16, 2008 at 4:31:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm not bored with your videos. :) I doubt anyone else is either.
~S :)

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 11:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I had never seen a Hummingbird until I went to Colorado... I could hear them but when I saw them I was so excited... I could have watched them forever...

Friday, June 27, 2008 at 6:50:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.