Thursday, May 22, 2008
betty's 89th birthday

Today, I am having a "Ladies Who Lunch + One Gentleman" to Celebrate my dear friend Betty Garrett's 89th Birthday.....No, the 'One Gentleman' it is not the very dear Jeff Bridges, who is in the picture above with Betty----Betty is Jeff's Godmother and this picture was taken at a wonderful Big 80th Birthday for Betty.....It is another Gentleman and it is a surprise for Betty, which I will reveal when I do her Birthday Lunch Post---with pictures, hopefully..... This is the two of us at that very same 80th B-Day gathering....It was a fantabulous 'event'...A Big Dinner and then a "show" held at The Pasadena Playhouse which included many people performing...Including "The Fabulous Bridges Boys"....And the First Act was a showing of an 80th Birthday Video that was about 47 minutes long, which I had put together especially for Betty.This was the front of the Hard-Cover Box which held the Video.....It was given to a great many people that night and people enjoyed seeing it that night as well as then being able to take it home with them and watch it any time they wanted...... This above, was the back side of the Video Box with the 'thank yous' etc.....This was a true labor of love, from me to her, down to the last detail.... This was Betty, up on the stage at the end of this glorious evening....Still as young at heart as she has always been.....This was a very very special evening for her and for everyone lucky enough to be there with her on that spectacular night.

I have had the good fortune to spend a lot of Betty's Birthdays with her, and Vica Versa....Here below is a snapshot from her Birthday in 1994---Her 75th, I believe....It was at her house and it was a lot of fun....!And this one below, that same 75th Birthday Party....Betty surrounded by lots and lots of Beautiful Birthday Balloons.....(I did not take either of these pictures so I am very happy to have them....) And then, below, another Birthday---This one in 2001 when Betty was playing on Broadway in the revival of Stephen Sondheim's Beautiful show, "Follies".....She played a Matinee on her Birthday and then we went to dinner across the street from the Belasco Theatre, where she was playing, and then she had to go back and play the evening performance....And that was how she spent her Birthday that year----Working! (And loving every minute of it, too......!) There is the Birthday Girl with her two darling sweet sons, Garrett on the left of her, and Andy on the right. Both of these 'boys' are wonderful bright talented loving men with terrific wives and Garrett and his dear wife Karen gave Betty her first Grandchild, the enchanting Maddy.... This picture was taken at New Years, 2006-2007....I just love it because it shows such a family resemblance and these two people just adore one another so much...and you can see it in this picture, too.....
Okay....back to 2001 for the last of the Birthday Pictures in this post.....Right after the Matinee, Betty and her Dressing Room mate Marge Champion were now changed into their street clothes, and the fantastic Patti Lupone came by their Dressing Room.....She had seen the Matinee and love love loved it.....This was such a treat.....So, I took a picture of these three wonderfully talented ladies.....Marge, Patti and Betty..... Patti Lupone was as thrilled to meet them and have her picture taken as any 'fan' would be.....This is one of my treasured snapshots, for sure....And Patti Lupone said she wanted a copy too, so she got one...an 8 X 10 of this very picture!

So, in not too many hours from now, we will be celebrating Betty's 89th Birthday....WOW! EIGHTY-NINE...What a milestone.....I'm sure this afternoon will lift my spirits a lot. I so look forward to this sweet gathering.....






More To Come.......







34 Comments:
Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Happy birthday to your dear friend!! She looks terrific in every picture.
Wishing you a great time with your "Ladies Who Lunch" ( I am sure you will) and can't wait to hear who is the lucky gentleman!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 2:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks so much for sharing these absolutely WONDERFUL photos Naomi!! I can't wait to find out who your special gentleman guest will be!

And please wish Betty a FABULOUS birthday - what a woman she is - such an inspiration to me, and to many, many others too.

Happy Birthday Betty, we love you!!!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 3:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday Betty!!! How wonderful!!

The photo's are fabulous Naomi! I am so glad you are going to be with Betty for her special day!! I can't wait to see the pictures you take!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 4:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What wonderful pictures! She sure looks beautiful in all of them. I wish her a very happy 89th and that you all have a fantastic time celebrating it together!

BTW...WHO is that gentleman friend you're letting into the group?? Hmmm, WHO could it be??

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 5:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

A Very Happy Birthday to Betty! Great post with wonderful photos! I remember well that post you did at New Years, 2006-2007. As always, Naomi, you did a lovely post and a nice homage to your dear friend Betty!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 5:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

She is still a beautiful woman. Please give her my regards and wish he the happiest of birthdays from me!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 6:02:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Have fun, and not too many fizzy drinks, eh?

Cheers.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 6:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Have lots of fun, Naomi, and wish Betty a happy birthday for me, with many more to come!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 6:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love reading about your Ladies lunches! I love the sense of comaraderie and fun I get from your posts and photos.

Such a gathering is bound to lift your spirits and I can detect that even the prospect of it has bought a certain joyfulness back to the tone of your writing which I am glad about.

I hope you have the very best of times and wishing Betty a very happy birthday. I only I hope I look so good when I reach her age. She seems to be truly a youthful spirit.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 8:28:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi, What terrific photo's. I espically liked the photo of Betty and Mandy. In the years to come, Mandy will also be overjoyed that photo was taken with her grandma. Hope you have a great day sharing with Betty and all the other birthday guests. 89 years, she looks so young, and happy in all the pictures. Have a great time.
pat

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 8:34:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Birthday Betty! With many more to come.

Naomi, I hope today's festivities lift your spirits a bit after Hanna's passing. I know she will be missed.

And woo-woo, a mystery gentleman! I can't wait to read your next post.
Love, Anne

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 9:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi- how wonderful, I am sure it will be another fantabulous time! Give my regards to Betty~

Rick

oh and PS- Patti LuPone is fab!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 10:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

A heartfelt tribute to a gorgeous Birthday Girl. I am sure that your celebratory lunch will be perfect and your dear friend will have a memorable time with you, and all her friends, and of course, the Mystery Gentleman!
Happy Days to her and of course to you, Naomi!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 10:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great photos of so many great times. Glad to see you have something fun to look forward to.

Please give Betty my warmest wishes for a marvelous birthday!!!

And, you go have a great time!!!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 11:39:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Birthday to Betty! I've long admired Ms. Garrett's work. I am absolutely fascinated with the stories you tell of your friends. You never cease to entertain and amaze!

Maddy sure does look alot like her grandmother in that picture!

Have a grand time!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 12:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

happy birthday to Betty! you have some wonderful snapshots as always... i especially liked the one of her onstage, you always have such nice tributes to your friends... i look forward to seeing whom the mystery guest is.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 1:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Sounds like a fun celebration. :)
89 is a wonderful milestone and accomplishment!

~S

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 3:01:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wishing a wonderful birthday to Betty, I know your lunch will be fantastic as always! I was lucky enough to be at Betty's 80th bash (your video was extraordinary, I'd love to see it again!) and can't believe that was 9 years ago already. Betty is a national treasure, as are you. I hope we can get together soon--it's been way too long. What a great photo of Betty and Jeff Bridges. He looks very handsome there--have you seen him in "Iron Man"? He is VERY scary!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 3:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday Betty!!! I hope you & your ladies that lunch have a nice time, Naomi. Oh, I remember the cake from last year, I hope you'll take pictures of the cake this year so that I can drool, LOL.
I LOVE Betty's 75th birthday picture, the one with the balloons.

and... is her son's name really Garrett Garrett?

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 3:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Yo..my name is Betty too so from one Betty to another Betty - Happy 89th Birthday BETTY :D

I wanna be just like you and Betty when I reach my 80s - unbelievable beauty & radiance Naomi :D

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 6:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy birthday to Betty!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 6:51:00 PM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

What a blessing for her to live that long and be surrounded by so many people who love her. What a treasure that you've been able to have such a long life with so many dear friends. I'm anxiously awaiting her birthday celebration. Tell her all her fans out here in blog land wish her all the best.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 7:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hope you had a great time! Can't wait to hear about it! :)

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 9:06:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Birthday to Betty!

Bravissima to you for setting up the party and the surprise!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 10:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm looking forward to reading your next post! Betty seems like one of your bestest buddies so enjoy her day as much as she does... (And how great did she look at her 80th?)

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 12:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Betty must be as lovable off-screen as she always was on-screen. How lucky to have such a long friendship.

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 1:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday to Betty! :) She certainly didn't look her age in those photos and I'm sure she still doesn't look her age! I hope you all have a wonderful time :)

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 1:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I would love to have been a butterfly on the wall for the celebrations. My best wishes to your dear friend Betty......may there be many more celebrations. Life's celebrations are the memories we cherish.

Beautiful pics........

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 2:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Gosh I can't believe it has come around again! I hope you have a wonderful wonderful afternoon with your ladies and the one surprise gentleman.
Many happy birthday wishes to dear Betty !!

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 3:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm sure the luncheon party did lift your spirits.
Betty always has such a bright smile. I know your friendship with her is very very deep. I hope her health is strong now because I know she was having some troubles. I wish her many more years of happiness and time with loving family and friends.
I look forward to your luncheon post!! I hope you share lots of photos along with your wonderful narration to go with them.
I can't wait to see who the mystery male guest was!
I hope Betty loved her special surprise.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 12:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, and the video you made for her big 80th celebration just shows how much you love her.
You are a truly great friend, and I know Betty cherishes you.

Happy 89th, Betty!!!!

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 12:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I do hope her birthday was a wonderful one!! Her birthday and mine are so close, since mine was on the 21st.

I just loved all these pictures!! Can't wait to read all about the luncheon for her birthday!!

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 4:54:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I've always had such a big crush on Jeff Bridges.

Betty is beautiful and we are kindred in our love of kaleidoscopes.

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 6:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I just saw Jeff Bridges in the movie Iron Man this past Friday...he made a fantastic bad guy!

Betty looks amazing for 89, she really does.

Monday, June 2, 2008 at 10:32:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.