Monday, May 19, 2008
daddy hawk

These pictures were taken about ten days ago. Here above, are two of the babies and the Daddy. At least I think it's the Daddy....He is the larger one over on the right....As I said, this was about ten days ago, and I wanted to try and show the progression of what I saw..... So, here he is above looking like he is going to do something....And indeed, he did do something.....And I caught him in mid-takeoff......The Feathers on his is Wings are so incredibly Beautiful, and the Wingspan is just astonishing to see in a picture like the above....! Then, I snapped another picture showing him flying away from the nest.....It's not the greatest focus but he was moving pretty fast, and now more in the light, his true coloring was more visible...... I watched him fly and saw that he was flying pretty low....Then I saw that he had lit on a big tree on my neighbors property where I have seen hawks many times before but never connected them to that particular nest. And I had not been 'in the right place at the right time', before.......
Do click on all these pictures to see them bigger.....this bird is so beautiful....the variations of the color of feathers is wonderful......! I took a lot of pictures of him very quickly because I didn't know how long he might stay on this tree top...... And then I saw him get into this kind of crouching position and I thought...Oh yeah....He is going to take off now...Maybe I can get him going into flight......But that is not what he was doing.....This below, is what he was doing..... Yes! He was doing exactly what it looks like he was doing! If I had wanted to try to get a picture like this, I might have had to wait years and years and years, if ever.....Here below is a closer look at this "action"..... I have never knowingly seen anything like this before. Well, that's not entirely accurate. I do have a picture in one of my "hawks flying" group, of something else in the air besides 'The Bird'...but not like this! Then I saw him change his position just slightly..... That chore being finished for the time being......He proceeded to straighten back up as he had before......It was quite windy that day...I love being able to see his belly feathers moving in the wind....He is an elegant beautiful bird! Here he is a bit later...Looking very Regal.....I took so very many pictures of him, and some of them were just so good, I had a hard time choosing just one or two to post.....So, here are a few more of this very amazing bird. This one I had taken quite a bit before he did his toilette, and from a slightly different angle, too....He really looks incredibly Regal here...oh do look at this one bigger....! I liked this shot above because it showed him with his beak open....I didn't hear anything but that doesn't mean he wasn't talking...... This one above had more of the belly feathers detail so I included it because of that.....He stayed on the tree for a good long time and I am very grateful to him for allowing me to have such a great time photographing him! There are so many more pictures from this 'session' but I don't want to bore you with my fascination.....So, for now....that's all, but you know, there will be......




Note: Thank you all for your very caring words about my dear friend Hanna....I appreciate each and every word with all my heart.....46 years of friendship and of sharing so very much.....my heart is very heavy with sadness right now....
I know time will make it better...but, for now.....well....it is very hard. Thank you all for understanding.















More To Come..........











31 Comments:
had this to say:

That picture of him relieving himself: up close it looks like a watercolor painting. I loved the trees in the background.

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 12:13:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Wonderful pictures and it's just fantastic how you caught the hawk "in action", literally speaking, lol! I find it very difficult to photograph birds and you have a way to make it look so simple and natural. Love it!

And I hope your heart finds some soothing soon...

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 1:17:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Fortunately, you were snapping photos from a side view and not from underneath the tree.

:)

Cheers.

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 5:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The photos are wonderful, Naomi. The hawk is magnificent and I can't believe you caught him in mid-pee! LOL

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 5:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oh yeah LOL.. when an eagle or hawk or any large bird decides to go.. it's very wise to be far far away LOL..

You manage to get pictures like a pro.. maybe you missed your calling Naomi!

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 5:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Magnificent photos of a magnificent hawk!!!!

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 8:11:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I am always amazed at your pictures, you catch the most intricate details. At first it looked like a ribbon was coming out of him! Then, I finally caught on.

I hope you are doing alright, you've been on my mind the past few days.

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 9:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

He's absolutely majestic.
~S

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How lucky were you that the hawk alighted on a tree so close by and positively posed for you! Your pictures are lovely and the hawk does indeed look regal! Such a beautiful creature.

I am thinking of you during this very painful time and send you much hugs. I hope you find some comfort in your memories of such a dear friend.

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I think hawks are spectacular! and your photos are as well!

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 2:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I managed to catch a zebra mid pee in a picture once by accident lol.
Great shots, how nice to have the animal channel right outside :)

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 6:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh I am still 'awwing' over that photo of him doing his business!! *heehee* I wonder if he had of done that if he knew you were photographing it!!

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 9:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The queen of the action shots...that's you. :)

The wingspan photo is beautiful. You've captured this little fellow in all his glory. Nice job, Naomi.

Hang in there. I know it's tough to lose a good friend, and you had so many wonderful years of friendship. That's precious.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 5:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great photos! He looks a bit of a shit to me!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 10:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't know what I was expecting when you said "This below, is what he was doing....." but it wasn't THAT!!! I had to laugh out loud, you clicked the button at EXACTLY the right time!!!! Well done!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 1:08:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thanks for the follow up on this hawk family Naomi and what amazing pictures - so well captured!

I mean, we have hawks in Norway too, but that is deep into the forest and mountains - your lucky to have them so close!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 1:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Amazing pictures, Naomi! You catch exactly that private moment of the hawk! LOL! I've never seen this before! You have done a great job here!

I am thinking of you, my dear, during this very sad time. I send you much hugs.



. so sadness in this momment...

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 3:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Nice job, photog-wise, Ms. Lady. Can't show too much belly for me.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 4:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Well done Naomi!!! He is a majestic bird but I sure wouldn't want to be below him when he decides to let things fly!!! Ick!!

I know you are still thinking of your dear friend Hanna and missing her. You are in my thoughts.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 4:53:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Love that wingspan. He looks so regal. I had to do a double take on the UFO!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 4:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

These are amazing photos of an amazing bird.
He does look regal, even when doing his business.
ha, ha, tee, hee
It is really neat that you captured his goings because even that looks unusually interesting. I had no idea it came out like that! The wind seems to have taken hold of what came out and carried it away like a ribbon flowing in the breeze. I would not want to be behind or below him when he did that.
:-)
I know you will be mourning the loss of Hanna always. You know what it is to mourn even a close sibling, and that pain never goes away. Time does help us deal with grief, but grief remains with us always. I wish you comfort as you trudge through each day. I hope the sorrow decreases and the good memories bring you joy.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 9:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Look at those wings! I lost two loved ones the week of Christmas, a year ago, I do feel your pain.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 12:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

LOL bird poop!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 12:56:00 PM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

OMG!! Caught him blasting out a good one didn't ya?! Thanks for a rip roaring laugh.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 3:11:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I've heard of chicken s--t, but hawk s--t??? (lol)
Today I met two darling little girls in the supermarket line. Their mother came from El Salvador, because "in my country there is always trouble". She is a good mom buying books and flash cards, and a pencil box that plays a whole octave and a half on its mini-tinny synthesizer

I told her to take them to the Hollywood Bowl this summer, and gave her all the thrifty tricks, and of course, told her about Classic Arts Showcase.

The little one, 2 and a half, is named Maria. Her five year old sister is Hanna---and she wants to be an actress! I told her about your Hanna, and she said she wanted to be like her. How wonderful!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 3:24:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Wonderful pictures. I love his trousers - sometimes they look white and sometimes yellow. I wonder what his wingspan is - in measurement I mean. He does look very imperious.
Monarch of the glen - King of all he surveys.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 3:29:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

BTW is that pee or poo?

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 3:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

They are all amazing shots Naomi and you are amazing too to snap all these and shared with us :D

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 5:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi- those are such beautiful photos, I just love birds anyway. Yesterday I went birdwatching in the English countryside, it was such a wonderful way to relax.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 6:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thinking of your sadness first.

Here, as is your special talent, you have made some more amazing pictures. I have to make do with looking at blackbirds as wildlife around here. You have hawks and even 'action hawks' so to speak.

Marvellous!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 11:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful -- even the pooping one. :)

Since it was windy, I'll bet that poop found its way to land on a clean car...

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 8:42:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.