Sunday, April 06, 2008
time in the garden

On Thursday, one of my Angel's came over to visit and brought some yummy lunch. He then suggested we go down in the garden.....I loved that idea, since I haven't been down there in a long time----I no longer feel it is a good idea for me to go down alone because there are many places I could fall, etc----So, this was a real treat! We stopped at the first level and sat down on the built-in bench there and looked at some of the beautiful plants growing in those beds on 'the mound'.....That is a Euphorbia right in the center of the picture. Almost all the Euphorbia's are flowering right now.....This one has the prettiest little yellow flowers....(A lot of them have very pretty yellow flowers.....) The plant itself is rather small......Here below is Joe's finger, behind one of the arms....He thought it would show how really small these delicate sweet flowers are.... He was certainly right....All these pictures are worth enlarging to get the full effect of these glorious plants....Here below, another shot of this very beautiful Euphorbia...... I love the design that nature has created on this plants.....Each arm is like a piece of sculpture---well, in fact, the whole plant is living sculpture....Below are some flowers that are in full bloom right now on a lovely succulent that grows like a weed...It is everywhere in my garden, the seeds from these very special flowers get blown to the ground and just 'take', as is their wont....! These flowers are very very small, too....And so very complex in colors and design....Below, a little closer look at just one of these blossoms..... And one more shot below, of this fantastic bloom---it is housed in a little green pod that protects it until it is ready to open....How amazing is that? I just find this whole process completely magical...I LOVE the little pods all over the place, and then, the surprise that is held within.....Fabulous! Another Beautiful plant is flowering at the moment...I should know the name....Oh Dear. I think it is a Mammilaria....It is about 7 inches in diameter, and the flowers are teeny tiny, too...... And they are spectacular, at the moment....Abundant, beyond belief! Shocking pink and these flowers, too, are very very small....Here below, a close-up or two of these magnificent blossoms..... You can see there are some more flowers in this crown that haven't opened yet, but will, very soon.....Be sure to click on these to see them bigger......And this one below, too..... I love that you can see right into the center of these flowers and be stunned by the detail of each little bloom.....That color is startling, too, especially when you see it, 'in person'.....

Along the East side of my property is a chain link fence separating my property from my neighbors next door.....Quite a few years ago---Maybe 15 or so, I put in some Bougainvillea hoping it would climb onto the fence giving some added privacy and also bring a bit of color in contrast to all the Cactus and Succulents.....Well, it has surely done that! And, in great great abundance.....This is the perfect time of year for it, too.....Below, some closer looks at this favorite Bougainvillea...... It is incredibly lush, right now, and frankly it is because it is right next to Bob Dickenson's garden.....They water their garden pretty much all winter long---we turn the water off from about October to April, because pf the Cactus....So, this plant being on the fence is getting plenty of water..... The picture above is framed on the bottom by a big tall Aloe....I cannot get over how lush this wall of flowers is right now....The combination of colors just takes my breath away....! And a closer look at this magnificent combination of colors...... It was such a joy to be down in my garden with my friend Joe.....He is a very special man...Someone I've known now for almost twenty years, having first met him while working on the AIDS Benefit that I was involved in for so very many years.....He was working at AIDS Project Los Angeles, where he started as a volunteer and then they hired him he was so invaluable. Joe is an amazing young man. He also has worked for years and years on the Revlon Walk for Breast Cancer, here in Los Angeles, and has personally raised millions of dollars..... I think he enjoyed visiting my garden down below as much as I did.....I know this: He made it possible for me to, once again get down their safely so I could visit all my beloved plants. Thank you dear Joe.....

We visited a lot more wonders, and that will be in Part 2 next time.

More To Come........





















33 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Good morning Naomi. Hey I'm first!
Lucky you - not only being brought a yummy lunch but by a yummy young man: Joe. What a sweetie.
What splendid luck about the bougainvillaea benefiting from the neighbour's watering. Good news all round. BTW we have snow!

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 3:28:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Just beautiful photography and so many pictures too. Nice work. I admire it.

Abraham Lincoln in Brookville, Ohio playing with granddaughter, Audrey. I got fired.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 5:07:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Your cactus plants have always amazed me. I love the beauty of the flowers adjacent to the most dangerous thorns. Cactus are one of nature's most lovely of contrasts. Great photos, as always.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 6:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You're up very early, Naomi! Your pictures are wonderful, as always. Here on the east coast we don't have vegetation like that. I especially enjoyed seeing the Bougainvillea since I often see it mentioned in novels, Sue Grafton in particular, and it's nice to actually see pictures of it.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 6:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am sad to hear that you don't venture into your garden, but surely hope that you get more visitors that you feel confident enough to go down there more often!

what a sweetheart to take you walking in your garden of beauty!!

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 6:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the way you introduce all these lovely plants & flowers in your garden...I could literally 'smell' them through my computer screen and I am not kidding you. Next I really wish I could use my hands and grab them out from the screen too heheheh...

I love it and what a treat to have Joe came, such a lovely gesture :D Hey, anyone tell him from this profile he looks like Michael Douglas? A volunteer prior to his job that is so awesome, it is hard to find men who volunteers wholeheartedly :D I luv him already heheheh...

Have a nice weekend my dear friend :D

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 8:41:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I enjoyed the photos. They remind me of Springtime in the desert, where, for the briefest of moments, everything is in bloom. I'm glad you were able to spend some time in the garden and wish you many more opportunities.

Cheers.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 8:43:00 AM PDT 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

oh naomi! i am so happy that you got to enjoy both your garden and some great company! nature is truly a gift to be enjoyed and wondered over. i was so happy to see your plant and flower photos once again.
warm hugs to you from me!

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 8:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi- I love the garden! How lucky you are to have made it out for the afternoon. My cactus are flowering also, I just love cactus!

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 9:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh my, that wall of Bourgainvillia flowers is stunning! I have never seen one so big. Over here they are houseplants and so stay quite small in comparison.

As ever I find your garden enchanting and the pictures you take are marvellous! I am so glad you got to go down into your garden. I find it quite sad that you can't get down there as much as you would like to.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 10:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful garden. Your love of flowers shows with both the way you photograph them and the way you describe them.

So nice of Joe to take you walking through your garden!

If I lived close enough - I'd be over often to take you down to your garden.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 11:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Stunning photos! Stunning colours too. Wow. They are so textured that the flowers and plants seem within my reach!

I have a big bouquet of Daffodils sitting beside me and my computer.....though the afternoon sun is pouring into the room, when I look out the window, I see a big pile of slushy white snow. HOWEVER!!! much has melted, the pussy willows have opened up and I can see some of my front lawn. It's a beautiful day........oh, and my river has opened up too...Flow away damn ice chunks!

Your photos and post are medicinal for us Canucks Naomi.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 11:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hey Naomi! Sorry I haven't been visiting much. Work has overtaken my life lately and I'm trying to get some balance back.

I *love* the photos! I enlarged them and they are amazing. And what a great guy Joe sounds like. I posted about my cousin Mary's "voluntouring" efforts. I just love people who "walk the talk".

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 12:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I was sneakin' a peek, and found it very interesting. Enjoyed your 4 songs. Will be back another day to sneak around in your garden some more;)

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 1:27:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi! Again a beautiful pictorial of your garden. You must be so proud of it - and well you should. It is beautiful!

I understand very well about going down steps and how nice it is when someone offers to accompany. Our garden here in PA will not look anything like yours, of course. But we will be planting in the next few weeks (before Mother's Day).

A built-in bench is a wonderful idea and just what you needed to be able to spend time in your lovely garden.

Hugs, Anne

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 2:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love that the succulents are blooming right now. My aloe vera plants just last week sent up two spires. One of them started blooming yesterday, the other one hasn't started yet. God, I love this time of year. :)

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 2:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am delighted with your garden tour, Naomi and Joe looks very nice! Those flowers are really stunning, takes my breath away... principally the pink one! You did a good job with those photos, Naomi! Well done!

Have a nice week ahead! Many hugs!

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 3:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

He truly is an angel for you, Naomi. It is nice that he realizes how important the garden is for you.

I love the tiny magenta flowers (but oh, the thorns!!)

The bougainvillea is one of my favorites and yours is stunning!

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 5:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Joe's hot stuff! *giggle giggle*

Your garden is amazing - I love the cacti with the ring of pink flowers. Stunning.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 7:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a fabulous treat! I can't get over how stunning your garden is, and my favourite - your Bougainvillea - oh, I am going to plant some!! We have some at home, at my parents place, and I really miss it.

I am glad you enjoyed your garden walk today - and Kudos to Joe for taking you!!!

:)

Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 9:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so glad your friend came by and helped you down the hill. I bet you had a great time and I loved the pictures.

Monday, April 7, 2008 at 2:31:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello Naomi :-)
...and hello to the lovely Joe!

What a wonderful day out in your stunning garden. The shots of the bougainvillaea are breathtaking - what a beautiful flower!

Here's to many more gentle sojourns in your magical garden, with your Angels by your side.

Love coming atcha from across the Atlantic - and thank you to Joe too!

cq

Monday, April 7, 2008 at 4:48:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

What gorgeous pictures as always and that with the company of a handsome angel!!

Monday, April 7, 2008 at 9:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, what lovely photos. Come over to my place to see what we've got!!

Monday, April 7, 2008 at 11:20:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a gorgeous garden you have. As always, the photos are spectacular. But what a special person Joe is, to come over like that and enable you to be able to enjoy your garden up close.
Thanks for sharing all of it with us.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Monday, April 7, 2008 at 5:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, your Bougainvillea...... are beautiful. I wish they would grow here in Houston, but I think we get too much rain for them...I know that they grown better down in the valley (Texas valley) around Corpus Chrisit and Brownsville.

As usual your garden is quite a sight to see. Do you have a yard man that comes to tend to your garden? If not, the Lord sure does a good job of tending to your garden. I do love your cactus. I have some prickley pear in my back yard. We do get a lot of water here and it almost drowns them.

Love your pictures and I'm glad that you got to go down and visit your plants.

Monday, April 7, 2008 at 6:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! What a cool garden! So different from what we can have here.

Monday, April 7, 2008 at 6:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Joe sounds like a wonderful person and I am so glad he visited with you and you two had so much fun in the garden. The pink on that one cacti? was just amazing. Thanks for such wonderful journeys through your garden. It is always filled with so many pretty thing.s

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 7:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so glad you got to spend some time down in your garden, Yeah for Joe !!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 6:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That was nice to hear that you got some time to spend in your garden. That garden of yours is really so beautiful, stunning, fantastic and what more else can I say.
Oh my gosh! That golden barrel flower is really so excelent. It really tops it all.
Looking at all those blooming in your garden makes you wonder how nature really is so good and beautiful.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 2:47:00 AM PDT 

Blogger J C
had this to say:

Absolutely beautiful photos Naomi. I bet the cave men used the fish hook cactus to catch fish......really! Thanx for sharing these lovely pictures and stories to go with!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 6:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

A bench, Joe, all the aloe you need to live to be 100...does it get any better?

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 6:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love the Boug color, and I can't get over the mammilaria! Stunning! What a riot of color!
~S

Monday, April 14, 2008 at 6:00:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.