Tuesday, March 18, 2008
hollywood views

A week ago Sunday when my friend Shawn was here, we took a little ride, (he drove), and so I got to take a lot of pictures of my "neighborhood". I have lived in this general area of Hollywood since 1961, when I first moved to Los Angeles......First, in an apartment on Hollywood Blvd., for three years, and then, where I live now....! This was the building I lived in right on Hollywood Blvd about 15 blocks West of Grauman's Chinese Theatre, in the residential section. The building was brand new at the time I moved in, in March of 1961. And it was a very nice good sized apartment that was just perfect for me at that time..... This is a three story building that is at the top of an incline....My apartment was on the first floor at the back of the building and it had a "view".....Here below, is one of the photo's I took back in 1961-62 of the inside of my apartment....(Some of you may remember seeing a lot of these pictures in a post which is somewhere in the archives.....) It was night-time so you cannot see the view...But, it was there. And btw: That "view" is not there anymore, as of around 1972-73. Another Apartment House was built right below 7364, facing Martel, and, sad to say, those floor to ceiling window/doors now look out right into another apartment.....this is progress......

In 1964 I bought my house which is about 5 minutes from my old apartment, so I am basically still in the same neighborhood, just higher up in the hills.....and as you all have seen, my house has a fantastic view which, as far as I can tell and I am very happy to say, will never have something built in front of it....
Okay. So, this has been my "neighborhood" for all these years....The following pictures are just a little bit of the view I saw on that Sunday that Shawn drove and I could snap away, all from inside the car.....One of the things I wanted to do was get a better look at that white crane which is still there on Hollywood Blvd. near the TV Guide building, which, by the way, is free of advertising at the moment.....This Crane has been there since about ten days before the Academy Awards, and someone had told me it was part of the equipment for setting up the tents and such. Well, that was actually not why it is there.It turns out they are building the "new" Hollywood Wax Museum, right next door to Grauman's Chinese Theatre....(Just what we need, a larger Wax Museum.....) And it is being built on what was a huge open parking lot where for as long as I can remember one used to park when going to my neighborhood movie theatre, Grauman's Chinese....So, now with the Hollywood/Highland Complex, they don't need that big open parking lot anymore....But here's my question: Do we really need a bigger Hollywood Wax Museum?? As you come down Orange Drive, on the left is the back entrance to The Hollywood & Highland complex and the huge underground parking for everything that is there now, including The Kodak Theatre as well as The Chinese.....This Mural is on the back side of the building which is a part of the structure that is attached to Grauman's Chinese, too.....It looks pretty sad. It is peeling and really needs to be refreshed or redone, don't you think? In fact...this is what has always been wrong with Hollywood, proper. Things start to look seedy and unkempt and uncared for......It cannot be that difficult to keep up, can it? Unless the Hollywood Wax Museum will cover this up completely....but meanwhile, it really looks tacky, I'm sorry to say..... Now how often do you see this view of GRAU_____? And that wall with a faded mural on it will be completely covered up once the HWM is actually built....As you come down Orange Drive towards Hollywood Blvd., The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel is head-on right in front of you.....I have spent a lot of time in The Roosevelt over these many years.....Theatre West had it's 24th Anniversary Party there, in the same room that the very first Academy Awards were held....and the wonderful Phillip Abbott and I were in charge of all the planning for this Event there at the Hotel.... This was the cover for our 'invite'.....from left to right, in the back row: Phil Abbott, Tom Ritter, Bridget Hanley, Carroll O'Connor (Who we were honoring that year), Me, Paul Winfield, Lee Meriwether and Connie Sawyer; And in the foreground, on the left, Betty Garrett, and on the right, our Artistic Director at that time, Clyde Ventura. Many evenings were spent in The famous Cinegrill Cabaret Room, and many dinners in the lovely Hotel Restaurant, including a lovely Birthday Dinner, one year......And incidentally, for a World Famous Hotel, The Hollywood Roosevelt has probably the most undistinguished boring looking front entrance of any well known Hotel, anywhere...... And as one turns the corner onto Hollywood Blvd., going East towards Highland, this picture below is what you see on a regular basis now on any given day of the year. Of course during the summer months it is even more so....! It is incredibly crowded-----kind of like Times Square though on a much smaller scale, of course..... This is Part One of my little personal tour of my "neighborhood"....Part Two to follow, next time.......








More To Come........










44 Comments:
had this to say:

I am loving this tour!!! It's always wonderful to see a city though the eyes of someone who knows it well, and Hollywood really is 'your town'!

I am really lookig forward to part 2!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 3:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

wow.. as much time as I spent on Hollywood Blvd taking care of DeForest's star, so much has changed in just a few years!! And you are right lol.. no, they don't need a larger Wax Museum ! LOL..can't believe that's what they are putting next to the Chinese Theater..sheesh.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 6:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It's very intresting to see and read about Holliwood from a local resident's view ! I have been 3 times in Holliwood but of course I only saw the touristic side of the city. That was in the 90th when we travelled through the States every two years.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 6:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Very interesting pix, Naomi. What year was the 24th anniversary?

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 7:08:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, good, part II is coming! I may not ever get there, so I love seeing it close up this way. I'm always sorry at how little planning builders do, thinking mostly about profits over views and real beauty.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 7:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It is fun seeing your neighborhood, Naomi..I am patiently waiting to see part 2. Have a good day!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 8:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How interesting. I have only driven right through downtown LA once and it was with friends in a vehicle in front of us around Christmas holidays. On one block we saw a woman being photographed in front of one of the buildings-- nude, I might add. On another block, a large black man was taking all his clothes off as he danced in the street. I have no idea what either was all about but in our car, we had the teen-agers-- their son and our daughter. He was going would you look at that! In our friends' car, they had our son and their daughter, who were around 11 or so and our son was putting his hands over his friends eyes; so she'd not see it. My how age changes things!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 8:27:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh how I love these "travelogs" you do! Wonderful pictures and memories. Looking forward to part two. I was browsing YouTube the other day and I found a 1947 Los Angeles Police Training film that featured some of LA in the 1940's and 50's (the good, bad and ugly). If you haven't seen it, I can send you the link. It was interesting.

Thank you for such a nice trip in Hollywood.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 9:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for taking us all on the tour. I've only been to LA once in person... I was staying in Dana Point so we drove to LA for the day. We spent the day at Universal Studios! Had lots of fun.
I'll be back one day, and I am determined to see a little bit more of the city.
Meanwhile, I'll stick with your virtual tour!
Thanks, Naomi!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 11:41:00 AM PDT 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

so cool! i've been in that area a few times in the past, but to see it from your perspective makes it all new again! can't wait for part 2! have a lovely day!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 12:27:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great photos as always, Naomi! It's hard for me to even imagine living in one place for so long, much less living in the city that long. I'm glad you got a chance to get out and survey your domain though. I love hearing your perspective on the changes. Can't wait for part II!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 12:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I had wondered what they were building there. Interesting. Very touristy area now.

The Roosevelt is so pretty. We went to the Cinegrille to see Teri and the girls perform once (Betty was in attendance that night too, of course).

Loved seeing your tour. Looking forward to part 2.

~S

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 12:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for the tour. I was there just once and that was back in 1956. You've had a colorful and interesting life and I appreciate your sharing it with us.
PS: thanks for the St. Patrick's day well wishes!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 12:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, your photos are always fascinating to a midwest girl. Thanks you for sharing them. i remember Bridget Hanley - I recognized her right away - because I loved the show - Here Come the Brides! Right? Diane

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 1:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your tour warmed me up!

I love all the pics, and was particularly drawn to the photo of your apt. It's a time capsule.....it looks very similar to the pics I have of the apt. my parents lived in when I was wee. :)

Your photos do show that Hollywood does need a facelift....a bit of Martha Stewartization I think. :) Or perhaps that TY guy from Extreme Makeover needs to take it on! How sad that it's been left to peel and burn out....

The group shot of the anniversary celebration is wonderful.....such shiny happy faces, filled with friendship and comraderie.

Bring on part 2 Naomi! love it!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 2:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How very interesting - I've never been to LA or that area, so it is so fun getting to see it all from your eyes...with your history.

Love it when you do these photo shoots...and how you share all the fun times.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 2:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This really is an Insider's Tour.
You've seen changes in Hollywood over the years, and it is sad when things start to get run down. I hope the city works to get things spruced up, little by little, since Hollywood is such a famous place.
That crane reminded me of that horrible accident in NYC. I know that kind of accident is rare, but it makes me so sad that people were killed when that crane fell.
Well, I look forward to Part 2 of Naomi's Insider Tour!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 2:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This post should be put to music. It's not only a tour, it's your life. I love the pics, all the wonderful places, the thens and nows. Thanks for sharing, Naomi, and I look forward to the second round of pics.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 3:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for the tour! I've never been there before ... and it was like being there!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 5:27:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I was part of "Subway-NO WAY!" but in spite of several turndowns by the voters, they did it anyway. This always happens when subways are built. We saw it in San
Francisco, Chicago had the problem years ago. The L. A. we knew and loved is "gone with the wind".

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 7:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved this tour of your little area of the city. It is amazing to see the houses built in the hills. And yours is amazing with the supports under it! I'm guessing that one is yours? It's just so beautiful there. I love seeing your old apartment...the furnishings are fun to see and popular again. Do you live near the Hollywood sign?

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 10:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That was so nice to be able to go "driving" around with you again. Not as good as the real thing but hey a girl takes what she can get right lol.
What no squirrels ;)

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 10:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm glad you got to go out for a little drive. Hehe, do they call that "cruising"? I'll bet that was nice and it was a lovely day for it. :)

Love the pictures, of course. Always do. :)

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 10:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love hearing your personal take on things! Nice tour.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 8:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How wonderful that you had a friend to drive you around giving you time to see everything and take some pictures! I sure did enjoy this tour Naomi.

I guess somebody there thinks Hollywood needs a bigger wax museum!! LOL

Loved all the pictures!!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 9:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Can't think of anybody that can guide like you. The combination of physical and intellectional history is brilliant. And your questionmarks to progress and what's really needed, well, that I do think has the power in itself to be a new play, incl what's going on behind the public insight. Can be written as a comedy or a drama - even two different plays on the same theme.

PS. I'm with Renny and Diane in Mariestad, Sweden, while Anna is Catsitter back in Oslo, Norway.I''ll stay for a couple of Days. Then I'll go back and we will do more "Springtime" work in the Garden at our Summerhouse. On Tueseday, it's a funural, my auntie died last week in the age of nearly 92. Both me and Anna had very good contacts with her. She was married to my mothers (88) oldest brother. And I'm after Easter starting with a new job - in the age of 63, it's very positive - I'm going to help a association to be more clever to use Internet as a means of member communication. So you see, I'm very busy for the moment.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 10:19:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

It was fun knowing you were out and about touring all around your neighborhood and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire post I guess most folks probably think of
Hollywood as completely sparkling and beautiful so I was a bit dismayed to discover it's in need of some restoration. As far as a new Wax Museum is concerned, I can think of other things the Chamber of Commerce might find more appropriate to line Hollywood Boulevard with, especially one that I know would occupy just a small space.
I loved all the photos you took and the history that accompanied them and am looking forward to more of the same.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 11:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

My 101 year ol aun still ha fond memories of eating at Grauman's Chinese--it is so very sad, over population, insant gratification, why must we lose so much?

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 12:22:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Having never been to Hollywood, I'm really enjoying this virtual tour. Your neighborhood sounds a lot more exciting than mine! LOL. If I ever get out to Hollywood, I'm going to email you pronto to find out where to go and what to see.

Loved the photos of the stars, too. So many great names there. Is Tom Ritter related to the late John Ritter? was that his brother?
I loved Carroll O'Connor... it was good to see him in this pic as well.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 12:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi. Thank you for sharing your home. Yours indeed is a colorful life!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 1:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved this part of the tour Naomi. I really really hope Toonces and I can make it out there in the not so distant future. I'd love to take in Hollywood!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 3:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi....I was so close to you when I walked around your neighbourhood last December...;'( Makes me wanna cry now waaaa.....We were having a lovely day in Hollywood Boulevard and seeing the redcarpet event etc...the buzz, the colours, the sights everything.

You inspired me to blog about my hollywood trip Noami, lovely apartments and oh...gosh Naomi, we missed that opportunity to meet waaaa.....me crying again.....sob sob...

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 5:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great photos and commentary!!! I, too, decry the desecration of landmarks!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 6:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! What a fascinating tour, Naomi! Love seeing your house and your garden! What a gorgeous view you have! Hollywood is a mythic place, isn't? I am looking forward to see the Tour Part 2!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 6:30:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh this is so wonderful. It is like I am also touring with you Naomi and seeing where you used to live and your neighbourhood. Thank you!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 7:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for the tour.
You just saved me about a $500 airline ticket to Los Angeles! ;)

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 7:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you Naomi - and Shawn - for a wonderful tour of a place I have only ever dreamed of....

But my dreams are a little dented now, I had ideas of Grauman's being all shiny and pretty....

Maybe one day Hollywood will have a wash and brush up...

cq

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 11:36:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Thank you Naomi- I found that riveting; I love to get some idea of the geography of a place and how fortunate you are to have such a lovely house on a hill. All my favourite homes have been on a hill.
Is it a myth that nobody walks in Hollywood? Could - for instance - one walk from where you live down to the main shopping area without being picked up as a vagrant? Or is that just a fairy story?

Thursday, March 20, 2008 at 3:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for sharing some pictures of your neighbourhood. I have never been to LA so it's really interesting to see it through your lens!

I know what you mean about some buildings getting a little shabby. It is such a shame that they are not kept better as even the rear of a building gets seen. We see that here in the UK too. The worse thing is that sometimes places forget that the first sight visitors have is of the car park and yet these are often apalling looking places with little to recommend them.

I am looking forward to seeing more of Hollywood through your eyes adn I love your personal commentary :)

Thursday, March 20, 2008 at 10:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I know you're not one who celebrates Easter, but I am hoping that maybe there's a Cadbury Egg in your future this weekend. Or maybe a few marshmallow Peeps or perhaps a chocolate rabbit.
:-)
Have a nice weekend.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 at 6:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, just waiting for part II.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 at 7:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi- I'm finally catching up on your blog after a busy month of travel and hectic work. Love these photos. I've been getting to LA at least once a month now and usually stay at the Hollywood Roosevelt, as you know. One of these days we'll have tea together!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 9:04:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Living in Holland, I have been a few times in Hollywood. I loved your tour on the Hollywood boulevard, recocknizing some of the buildings.
On a business tour I once stayed in the St. James club in West Hollywood.
As far as I remember the building was known as the Hollywood tower.I think it was on the Sunset boulevard. The interior of the hotel was very impressing and mostly in the Art Deco style. Of course you will know it. And I wonder if you have ever been in it
I will be following your blogspot
in the future. Thanks for all the information.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at 9:21:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Popping by to see how you are and what's going on in the hills.
Loved your St. Patty's photos.
And really enjoyed taking this "stroll" with you. I was in LA in 1984 and it doesn't look too different. I'm sure you enjoyed being out and about.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 3:02:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.