Friday, March 21, 2008
more hollywood views

Continuing from where we left off last time.....This is a view through the car window, (Grauman's Chinese Theatre is on the left, though not visible in this picture.....), looking towards the corner of Hollywood & Highland....And, you can see that Landmark building---the tallest one visible---straight ahead in the center of the picture.....And there is some very ugly advertising visible on that building---I must say I find this advertising on a building with so much history, really disgusting! Below, is a picture of what this building looks like without any ads.....(I did not take this picture, by the way......) A rather silly bit of trivia: You see that building to the right of the picture with some advertising on it? My very first Dentist in California had his office in that building.....There was no advertising on any of these building back in 1961, or at any time in the 60's, for that matter......And below, another view of this Historic Building---The First National Bank Building, built in 1927....was the tallest building in Los Angeles until 1932..... I guess we should be grateful that the building is still here at all----disgusting advertising be damned----considering how this city cares so little about "history".......(I didn't take this picture either...) I just think it is truly criminal that they put advertising on a building that has so much history.....Anyway.....Next....On the left as we rode east on Hollywood Blvd, was the see-through entry way to the Hollywood & Highland Complex...... This is one busy place, I tell you....And I love that you can see the "Hollywood Hills" way in the background there.....And below, a kind of wonderful view of this entryway and all it's levels, with guess what in the background? I must say, I think it quite wonderful that the builders of this complex took this 'historic' sign into consideration in their plans so that the Hollywood Sign would be visible from this vantage point even though it is very far away......The colors in these pictures are a little strange because they were taken through the front window of Shawn's car.....Still, better to capture the picture than not!

There was a lot to see that I had not seen for quite a long time....Just South of Hollywood & Vine, right there on Vine street, there is a huge project that is being built.....it covers the entire block from Hollywood Blvd. to Selma Avenue....Above is part of that construction....And below, is a drawing or two of what is being built there.....
It is a big Apartment Complex and Mall, so they say, along with this next drawing.....The W Hotel.....
This is an amazing Hollywood Re-Development Project.....It is hard to envision all of this when I know what was there before....For as long as I can remember, this famous landmark below sat right in the middle of that section of Vine Street, on the East side of the street.....
Oh yes....more Hollywood History....'gone with the wind'.....Here is another view of that most wonderful of Hollywood Restaurants, The Brown Derby on Vine Street.....(The original"derby" Brown Derby was on Wilshire Blvd, near The Ambassador Hotel....both those landmarks gone now, too.....) where the Original Cobb Salad was created.....! What a charming little building this was....The Spanish Style Architecture so very typical of the buildings at that time....And this mish mashy thing below is going to replace it.....? Oy!
If this is a true rendering of what will be built, than "tacky" still lives in Hollywood, I'm sorry to say.....How can a city that helped Frank Gehry produce this fantastic piece of sculptural architecture, The Disney Hall, below, be content with that awful mess in the picture above......?Disney Hall is a masterful building that is a piece of "art". Again.....this is what is wrong with the whole concept of the revitalization of Hollywood.....It is filled with so many incredibly tacky uninteresting 'nothing' buildings....! It fascinates me the amount of people who make a special trip to Downtown Los Angeles to look at this fantastic building known as Disney Hall.....yet, people still do come to look at this next building in Hollywood, too..... At the time it was built it was quite controversial....But, the thing is, there was something to be controversial about! Those things that are being built at Hollywood and Vine......well, they are without any artistry whatsoever. Look at this amazingly imaginative building above and below? Like a stack of 33 1/3 records...what Capitol Records was all about, back in the day....A design, that to this day still reflects the shape of records as we know them all these years later.... A great piece of Architecture in the same way as Disney Hall? Some would say yes.! Personally I love the Capitol Records Building for different reasons than I love Disney Hall. And part of why I love it, is that it is part and parcel of the Hollywood landscape that would be greatly missed if it were to be removed....(There was talk of tearing it down...Help!!!)


To Be Continued......

And a slightly early Easter Greeting, to one and to all.....May your Sunday be filled with the Sacredness of The Day, and a little bit of the lighter side of Easter, too...... And be sure to have one of these delicious dear Chocolate Bunnies, as well.....I wish each and every one of you a very wonderful Easter Sunday, and the Loveliest of Blessings To You All......!





More To Come.........









36 Comments:
had this to say:

I prefer the Spanish-style architure and buildings without ads all over them. This is happening in downtown Miami as well, and now on the way to Miami Beach (where I take art classes), the "scenic route" has these ads on the most beautiful buildings. Mostly ipod ads. It takes away from the beauty of it all.

As for your photos, please continue to share. I like how you put the before and after, then and now shots up. You live in a beautiful city, those hills are gorgeous!

Friday, March 21, 2008 at 3:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oh my... you keep showing pictures of how hollywood is changing! Pretty soon there won't be much I recognise anymore!

Friday, March 21, 2008 at 4:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved the tour! I want Martin to see the Hollywood sign. I have only been to LA once and I made sure that was one thing I saw before I left! Hollywood really is a cool city, I didn't realize it would be pretty. I guess I thought of all the freaky things they show at night on some movies...the odd people of Hollywood! And I can't help but think of Pretty Woman and Hollywood Blvd.

I hope you have a wonderful Easter too and thank you for the nice blessing! Toonces and I had our picture made with the Easter bunny at the mall like a couple of nuts for our Easter greeting!

Friday, March 21, 2008 at 5:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh how I love seeing all of these pictures.....I like the older architure too, it has some real class. I'm not sure what I think about that Disney building. Yes, the signs do distract from the beauty of the buildings.

The only time I have liked the big signs on the buildings was in the Salt Lake City winter Olympics. The signs were pertent to the games and it showed the whole world what was going on. My daughter, Bonnie, was working at the SLC Wyndham Hotel and she did not like the signs because it blocked the views from the hotel rooms.

I hate it when an old landmark is toren down and something new is put in it's place. I like a town that preserves it's history while still building it's new buildings.

Loved your post Naomi and thanks for visiting Bonnies blog. Have a good Easter Weekend.

Friday, March 21, 2008 at 6:01:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi, thank you once again for the sight seeing adventure, I have never been to Califorinia. So it is nice to have a virtural tour. Am really glad that I live in the area of the country that I do, its rural, but close enough to a city, if ever had the need. That is seldom, we are blessed, with some pretty special,buildings& sights, just a short drive to Walkins Glen, Ithaca NY, home to IBM, when it first started. Am very gratefull, that there is not the kind of adds, posted on our buildings. There are two local Churches in my home town that still have working pipe organs,with the old time stain glass windows.Will have to speak with Karen some time, and have her post some photos, know that she also has some great ones.Have you ever been to the places mentioned? Any way thank you once again. Hope you have a Blessed Easter. Pat

Friday, March 21, 2008 at 7:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I certainly agree with you about the advertising on that beautiful old building. That is obscene, to me. I haven't been there since the late 80's, so it is good to see what is happening in Hollywood, Naomi.

Friday, March 21, 2008 at 9:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I do hope the authorities of Hollywood would learn from those in Miami Beach - Art Deco District.

I wonder what the architects says about their buildings misdecorated by large commercial banners.

Your tour has been a fantastic experience and your opinion of "development" is important.
Wonderful Easter Cards.

Have a great Easter time.

btw. I'll post my next in a few hours time - a metal church designed by Gustav Eiffel - yes that Eiffel.

Friday, March 21, 2008 at 1:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Gee, it's only Friday and I am tasting (mentally) chocolate already. Hoo boy!

Friday, March 21, 2008 at 3:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the boulevard. Anytime I've been to LA, I've had to go to Hollywood. I just love it.

p.s.
I love your recordings! I had to come back after the first time and listen to them all and I think I forgot to comment.

Friday, March 21, 2008 at 8:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My dear Naomi - blessings to you in this season of renewal. Hugs across the miles.

Friday, March 21, 2008 at 9:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I saw a dark chocolate bunny in Target today. Almost bought it, but I have too much chocolate around as it is !

Love the pictures, felt like I was right in the car with you. :)

Happy Easter!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 12:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for the tour Naomi! Oh how I would dearly love to visit Hollywood...but I feel like I've been there already thanks to you.

See what you mean about the horrible advertising on that gorgeous building. What's the big idea hey?

Happy Easter to you too Naomi.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 2:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I prefer the older buildings - without ads....

:-)

Happy Easter, dear Naomi :-)

btw - all those baskets and sundries went into my boot. I also have two passengers and their stuff....
Pandora has been evicted from my sheepskin - poor love...she's not a happy kitty....

cq

Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 4:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

My dear Naomi, first of all I wish you a Very Happy Easter as well!

Love your tour... I would LOVE to be there with you! I have never been to USA, maybe some day....it's my dream...

Many hugs to you and to Sweetie!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 7:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I agree with you on the building ads, they DO seem a crime. Or at least a crying shame. This turned out to be a wonderful tour, nice job Naomi. By the way, Thursday night I had dinner with Jimmy VP, he is such a great guy.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 9:06:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Another great virtual tour of Hollywood. I know I will never get there in person, so I really love visiting here to "see" what Hollywood looks like - both then and now.

Thanks for posting a nice travelogue. Happy Easter, Anne

Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 11:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, the green fruits on my current post are plum fruits. There are photos of plum fruits and flowers and peach flowers.

Again, a Happy Easter to you! Kiss!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 12:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You raise an important point, Naomi: that advertising seems to have infiltrated parts of our world that were formerly perceived as immune. I guess it's all part of the bigger-and-better-and-faster disease that's infected society.

It makes me sad. It's almost as if nothing is sacred any more - not even treasured buildings or other public installations.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 1:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't understand the advertising on those building! They certainly look better without it! But the $$$ talks and so there is advertising. Sad, but true.

I love the Capitol Records bldg. Very nice!! I do hope they don't tear it down. That bldg. is unique!!

I sure have enjoyed the second part of this tour Naomi!! I hope you have a wonderful wonderful wonderful Easter!!!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 6:39:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I never get tired of these tours. And you are so right about the tacky ads and also about the architecture.

It's funny, Americans go to Europe to tour all the old buildings and beautiful churches, but they don't encourage that same sort of thing over here. What is wrong with us?@!!

I especially liked the "before" shots, your scanner must be worth its weight in gold for the photos it is bringing to us!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 8:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

All that hideous advertising is covering up so much history and class I totally agree.
I don't know how many times I have walked up and down those stairs at the Hollywood and Highland, a lot LOL
Happy Easter to you, I took a ton of pictures of Rebecca egg hunting and at the Royal Easter show, have to do a post sometime tomorrow.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 1:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It is such a shame that so many historic and beautiful buildings have been torn down with so little regard for the past and for aesthetics in the name of progress. And as for that advertising on that old building, it's just plain criminal in my humble opinion!

We see this type of thing in the UK too, but less so these days. In a town called Newport they actually tore down half their ruined castle to make way for a road!

Michele sent me over this time but I always pop by when I can :)

Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 3:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

We have some HORRID buildings in Seattle too. They become a joke.What a sweet Easter greeting, you've made my day. Thank you and Happy Easter to you.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 4:17:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

In India, all the monuments have names carved on them. There are some fools who leave their mark on the walls!

I came here to wish a a great Easter Sunday!

Hugs, Naomi!

Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 4:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I visited Hollywood for the first time last year. It amazed me how different it was than I expected. Funny how the things I love about NYC take such a different turn when it is set upon the california hillsides.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 9:12:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Easter to you and yours.

Cheers.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 9:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for the tour! I'd like to go there sometime!

Hoppy Easter!

Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 3:05:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a wonderful tour, I can't wait to get there and see it before it completly dissappears.

Dropping in a belated easter egg to you.
Via Michels of course.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 4:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for continuing the enlightening tour of all the changes that Hollywood is going through.
I am in complete agreement that advertising should not be shown on beautiful old buildings. Don't we have enough ugly advertising thrown at us without having to deface architecture too?

Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 5:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The ads on buildings really do suck. I wonder, does anyone really look at one of the big ads and say, "Wow! I want to buy one of those now!"?

Happy Easter!

Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 5:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the mix of old and new photos Naomi - lovely.

We've had a very snowy and quiet Easter weekend up until today ... it will no doubt stop in about 2 1/2 hours as Simon is going to be laying new flooring in the hall - the joys of holiday weekend D.I.Y. (which in our house can sometimes stand for destroy it yourself and not do it yourself).

Enjoy your easter Monday and *coughs slightly* I have tagged you for the 6 word memoir meme ... you're life has been so chock-a-block that it'll be some challenge! *wink* Maybe you should do 6 words per decade? :o)

Monday, March 24, 2008 at 12:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The Capitol Records building is so original looking isn't it, as are the others you have posted. Definately an era, which should be preserved.

I find it odd how there are some places which bend over backwards to maintain and restore and promote the preservation of history, whereas other places set no importance to it. Toronto has shamefully lost any lustre or potential to save it's lovely waterfront.....or to plan around it. Rather, one after another condiminium complex is razed further blocking off the view and the very idea that it sits on the shores of one of the Great Lakes. As much are there are historical and beautiful buildings in Toronto, and one can go on treks throughout the downtown core to enjoy their splendour, the planners lost sight of anything beyond the core.

There is a balance one has to find between looking back and looking forward.....we can't live in the past. But, we should be respectful of it that's for sure.

btw, my husband is an historian.... and my brother in law is an architect. this is a topic that is often discussed. :)

Monday, March 24, 2008 at 1:06:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

And I worry about the people in the building not having any windows because of those bigs signs. I think today they go for cheap more and more. Things don't last I think it's a plot to keep the economy growing, which sometimes reminds me of cancer cells out of control! Thanks for the tour, Namomi!

Monday, March 24, 2008 at 6:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I admire that 1st Nat'l Bank Building every time we drive by it, Naomi. It's such an artful building. :)
And we love Walt Disney Concert Hall. We've seen a few things there. It's a great venue. We saw Barbara Cook there... the acoustics are so good, she did the last song without a mic (the way all concerts used to be done). Amazing.

~S

Monday, March 24, 2008 at 6:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I enjoy seeing the photos and reading the narrative you provide.
Change can be good and bad, can't it?
It's too bad that some of changes in your area are not for the good.
I understand the marketing value of having those huge ads, and I'm sure they pay big bucks for them, but I agree with you that it ruins the grandeur of those old, historical buildings.
I wish I could go back in time with you and see the Hollywood that you remember when you first moved there. I'd love to go to The Brown Derby and have one of those Cobb Salads.

Monday, March 24, 2008 at 8:46:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Thank you for that Naomi. I am just catching up and now I must go and have breakfast before I expire

Monday, March 24, 2008 at 11:46:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.