Tuesday, April 08, 2008
more time in the garden - part 2

I realize this is probably kind of strange looking and maybe even scary looking, too....These are the "hooks" on what is known as a Fish Hook Cactus.....Kind of self-explanatory when you see the whole plant.... well, almost the whole plant. I personally find these 'hooks' quite beautiful in their design and their usefulness, too..... This plant is waaaaaay down at the very bottom right of my garden...It is a perfect place for it because it doesn't get much water down there at all....This is a true "Cactus".....And next to it, on the left of the picture, is a "Golden Barrel"--common name--for those very beautiful round barrel like cacti that one sees a lot of places....I have a great many in my garden out in front and down below here, too..... And I am fascinated by the design of this plant. In truth, I am fascinated by the design of all these plants. When you see a really close look at these 'hooks', you see this complex line design that is not visible from farther away..... The whole plant is quite extraordinary and when it is in bloom---later in the early summer, if I recall correctly, the flowers are very very beautiful....Hopefully, I will get down into the garden when this is blooming. Unfortunately this cactus is obscured by other plants when I am up on my deck, so I will have to kind of guess and hope....! You can actually see that those even lines on each of these hooks are slightly raised....And one last shot from slightly further away..... That's Joe's hand way over on the right side of the picture....It is so very peaceful down there....There are places to sit and rest and just look at everything that is living in this sweet corner of the garden.... This flowers above is blooming on that 'Golden Barrel' I mentioned, right next to the Fish Hook Cactus....These are utterly exquisite flowers with such a rich deep yellow color..... A closer look at this stunning flower....do enlarge all of these to really see the amazing detail....And below, a slightly different angle of the very same flower..... It takes your breath away...truly! Right next to this Golden Barrel are a whole lot of small very ancient looking succulents....These look like something from another planet, to me, or from Jurassic Park..... And below, a better picture of this strange but strangely beautiful plant. Oh, let's get even closer...and you can see that this plant looks like it is very very ancient....And kind of painted, too.... Talk about a fabulous design...Look at those funny jagged edges? Yet, this is a rather soft fleshy plant.No stickers on it or anything like that....And, by the way, it is very very sturdy, too..... And speaking of Jurassic Park...Here is a little fella that fits right into that image.....There are millions of these little guys down here....We saw maybe 6 or 7 taking the sun! And below, a closer look at this one...... And even closer yet, below......when you make this bigger you can actually see his eye...... I honestly find him quite beautiful....Getting in closer on his body and on his scales, or what looks like scales....I think he is exquisite, actually....Especially if you click on these to make them bigger.... I love that there are so very many of these dear little creatures here in the garden, sunning themselves and doing their little 'push-ups' thing that they do.....If gives me a feeling that they feel safe here and are comfortable enough to just stick around even when we big giant looking beings appear....This one lizard stayed where he was a very very long time as Joe and I slowly got closer and closer to him..... This very ancient 'Jurassic Park' type person, here in my garden...So close to another time period, and yet, as I look up and out----just beyond my garden----there is this major city..... And, more Bougainvillea.....This Bougainvillea is that shocking pink color which is very popular and very beautiful, too....!This patch of it covers the chain-link fence at the very South end of my property that butts up against my neighbors property just below. The neighbors who have those two chickens.....There are some other colors of Bougainvillea planted along the fence running the whole length of the bottom of my yard, but some of the other plants are not in full bloom yet...... This is another lush display right now....And I love it because it brings that shock of color that sets the Cactus and Succulents off, you know? The contrast is quite stunning..... See what I mean? This is an Opuntia that is quite tall and very near the fence....I just think it sets both plants off really beautifully....The Bougainvillea and The Opuntia...... And there is the city beyond, and some low mountains beyond that....But here in my little Oasis, I have those Lizards, and the Succulents, and Cactus, and lots of beautiful flowers.... Another Euphorbia....with the most delicate amazing little flowers. The beauty that surrounds me gives me food for my soul....Looking at these flowers really feeds my soul, big time.....I love this time of year, here in my garden....Just love it! Some more Yellow Flowers on a different Euphorbia.....An Amak Verigated.....I have a lot of those in my garden---upstairs and downstairs, too......And just about all of them are flowering, as we speak...... Above, is the biggest of all the Euphorbia Amak Verigated's that I have---The Mother Plant, so to speak....It's out front....And all the Amak's below came from this now huge specimen.....And here in the picture below, a slightly closer look at these arms......
An abundance of flowers everywhere you look......








More To Come......









40 Comments:
had this to say:

Amazing photos. That croc, er gator, er, reptile...brave old lady be thee.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 1:33:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I love being first - it never happened at Sports Day. In that top photo there is a miniature swan - I'll swear. And that beautiful large yellow flower - when I enlarged it I thought how wonderful a print of it would look on a bare wall.
The lower ones are like pieces of sculpture. It's a garden, a zoo and an art gallery - all in one:)

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 2:57:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Your garden is such a rich place, full of beautiful plants, among other things!! I have that sort of "painted" plant in my garden too. It survives with little water, that's important nowadays...Love the shocking pink!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 3:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Amazing photos! I especially liked the yellow flower on the "Golden Barrel," which I've set as the background on my computer. It's just beautiful to look at.

The lizard, on the other hand...we have lots of them here in Miami as well, and even after 20 years in this town, they still spook me. We get the larger iguanas, too, and they're interesting to look at...FROM A DISTANCE.

Thanks for posting all these wonderful shots, Naomi. Who knew cacti could look so good?

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 3:54:00 AM PDT 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

oh man i just love your garden. you're a lot more positive in your descriptions of the little critters than i would probably be, but you're right, they ARE beautiful (in their own way) and amazing! if i ever make it back out to LA, i'm putting you and your garden on my "to see" list--at the VERY TOP!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 5:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a fabulous garden you have! I love the shot of the Bougainvillea with the city in the background, to me that is heaven!

I'm curious, what kind of lizards are they, in your garden? We have blue toungue lizards here in Australia, probably similar in size to your little fellows, but when they stick out their toungues, they're blue! We had one get into our house at home once, it ran into my brothers drum set, OMG you should have seen him freak out - one of THE funniest sights I've ever seen in my life!!! Don't mind lizards myself, I think they're kinda cute!!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 6:15:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I was going to say the first batch looked reptilian and then a lizard showed up. I like the way you appreciate plants even the parts that don't bloom. Thanks for sharing some of these out of the world ones.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 6:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I agree that if you can get over the shock of seeing one those lizards can be quite beautiful. And very dinasaurish...the golden barrel was an interesting plant. Quite pretty itself. The first one looks like it could cut you if you got to close.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 7:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful photos!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 9:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

it's like walking around in a botanical garden. fascinating catuces and succulents, beautiful flowers, and that nice little fella.

Excellent photos.

PS. I'm on an IT-conference until Wednesday, som I do have very little time for comments

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 9:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those first couple of cactii (?) look like they should be sea creatures. Neato.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 9:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Amazing as always. So glad you could visit that part of the garden again - and show the rest of the world how beautiful it is!

Amazing fish-hook cactus & loved the lizards. They're *so* cool - no wonder they need to bask in the sun... [laughs]

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 9:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a gorgeous garden... here in Florida it is hard to grow Cacti plants... when I was in Australia (where I am from) I had plenty of Cacti plants and a huge Fish Hook but had to leave it over there... I will come back and visit for sure... my other site with photos is: http://flissyscorner.blogspot.com
take care

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 9:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, you realy do have quite a collection of plants in your garden :)

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 10:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

"Looking at these flowers really feeds my soul, big time" - Joe, did you hear that?

:-)

I love those plants, and I oohed and aahed over the lizard, what a cute little chap!

The detail you see in those plants and then show to us is incredible.

Thank you :-)

cq

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 11:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your garden is quite spectacular, Naomi. Here in Canada, the snow is just melting, and there are no flowers yet... well, not in my back yard anyway.... so I have really enjoyed your guided tour through your cacti and succulents. The flowers are stunning! I even like the lizards. And when you are tired of looking down at the plants, you look up, and see the distant city framed by shocking pink bougainvillea! Lucky you!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 2:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, another wonderful, informative post about your very intersting flowers. The lizard really does look like he came from Jurassic Park...LOL

The hooks on that large cactus look like something that lives underwater!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 2:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That Jurassic Park-type cactus is really unusual, at least to me. Remember those fish hook cactus from yrs in AZ -- and those hooks are wicked -- you don't want to fall on them. My favorite is the golden barrel! Great photos, Naomi.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 4:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My goodness - you have soooo much in your garden - it truly is magnificent. If I saw one of those lizards roaming (or sunning) around it would give me a dreadful fright. *shudder*

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 4:57:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The only down side to having such beautiful cacti, is when you get one of those lovely hooks and spikes stuck in your gardening gloves yeouch....and it always happens to me. The upside is the beautiful flowers they produce.
And thanks to you Naomi, my husbands has bought a special lens to photograph them....you have inspired him.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 5:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Unusual plans & cactus with little 'visitor' there...I'm so happy to be here Naomi :D

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 5:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, now, see, you're making me wanna come visit your garden, errr, I mean YOU again. Hehe...

I know what you mean about the plants feeding your soul. Especially when you take time to appreciate the details and savor the beauty, each plant, each flower at a time.

As always, thank you for sharing your beautiful home/yard with us. :)

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 7:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You've got some freaky but cool plants around you.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 7:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am very jealous of your garden, it is so beautiful.....Isn't it funny that I just watched Jurasic Park on Sunday night. I love the theme music that John Williams wrote, what a composer he is. Your little lizzards would fit right in. Do they ever come into the house?

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 11:55:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Close up, those barbs/hooks look pretty sinister.

Cheers.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 5:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

you always seem to step out and into another world with the wonderful closeups you manage to get with your camera Naomi !!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 5:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What gorgeous photos. I like detail shots of plants and those are wonderful. On the lizards, I have two dried up bodies that (at different times) tragically got into the house and we didn't see them before we left and closed up the house. They died, of course. Tiny little dried up bodies, one very small (maybe inch and a half at the most), and I have them on a shelf above the kitchen sink because they are so beautiful. I first set them on a lower shelf but the face of one kept looking directly at me and it bothered me too much; so it went up a level where I can still appreciate their beauty but don't look them in the eyes...

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 8:31:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Just beautiful!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 8:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

i love the green/blue tinted scales that are scattered throughout the lizard!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 9:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Awesome!!!! I marvel at your garden's many facets.

I'm digging up the flower beds at my place and I hope my little gardens are a 1/100th as lovely as yours. Your thimb must be emerald green!!!!!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 9:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful series of photos, Naomi!
All them are just amazing. The Jurassic Park plant (lol) looks like the lizard, isn't? Or the lizard looks like this plant...

Really you have a fabulous garden! I love also the picture of the Bougainvillea with the city in the background! Just wonderful!

Thanks for sharing those beauty, Naomi!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 12:08:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thanks for the second time in your garden and to a Norwegian: very exotic you know. Cactus! I mean we are lucky if we can keep them alive indoors :lol:

That sweet little fellow looks like a similar type I saw when I was in Australia - I think it was called 'blue tongue'

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 2:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I enjoyed both of your Time in the Garden posts.
How nice that Joe came for a visit which gave you a perfect opportunity to safely visit your treacherously steep garden. I've seen firsthand how steep it is!
You mentioned Jurassic Park, and it occurred to me that cacti do look very much like they'd fit right in to prehistoric times right along with the dinosaurs.
The complexity and detail of all those flowers and plants is just stunning. Seeing nature in all its splendor fills me up just like it does you. It's kind of like a shot in the arm of some kind of B-12 or something, isn't it? What a delight! I enjoy it when you share photos of nature from your garden. From the bees to the birds to those cute little hummingbirds to all the flowering plants and very interesting cacti and succulents, you really do let us all share in the joy.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 9:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Can you hear Mark screaming if he saw the lizards ROTFL

Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 12:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

such great pics!!!
The Jurassic Park fella not my favorite though;) hehehe

Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 8:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm quite fond of lizards, toads, and the like. Even snakes (the non-poisonous variety) are lovely in their own way.

The garden is breathtaking and I'm so glad you have a good friend to help you enjoy it.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 9:58:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Just imagine how beautiful that curved retaining wall on the new house would look covered in bougainvilla like yours!!! It would be spectacular--visible for miles! You simply must plot to convince the buyer to do it. If he can afford that house, he has the money to spend on lots of plants and a good gardner!

Friday, April 11, 2008 at 1:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am late getting here Naomi and have just read part 1 and now part 2. I'm so glad that Joe came to visit you and you got the opportunity to go down into your lovely wonderful garden!! Everything is so beautiful and your pictures are great!! I wish I could see it all in person!! I love the little lizards!! I'll bet Sweetie would love to have some of them to play with!! We did have those blue tailed lizards here but the cats have wiped them out. The ones you have do look prehistoric!! Very cute!!!
Thanks for this wonderful tour Naomi!!! I sure did enjoy it!!! :)

Friday, April 11, 2008 at 7:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Love the golden barrel flower. Wow.
~S

Monday, April 14, 2008 at 5:58:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Em
had this to say:

amazing work. i loved going through all the photos :)

Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 1:31:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.