Thursday, March 08, 2007
the oscar finale

So, here are the last of a few Oscar photo's that I wanted to share with you....The one above is pretty much self-explanatory....inside The Kodak right at the beginning of the show. The Audience and the Hostess from afar....Then, a few pictures that I felt gave us a real 'feel' for the night.And here above....two gorgeous people who were presenters that night....That's Cate Blanchett on the right and the fantastic fabulous handsone-beyond-belief Clive Owen....and both fabulously talented, too. She was a Nominee in the Best Supporting Actress category for a very interesting film, "Notes On A Scandel"----a film very much worth seeing, for her performance and for the amazing stunning performance of Dame Judi Dench, also an Oscar Nominee, up against Dame Helen Mirren. As Oscar Hammerstein said....."There is nothing like a dame....".
And the adorable Abigale Breslin. Terri, over at Island Writer asked me what I thought about Alan Arkin saying he hoped this dear little girl didn't win the Oscar...Here's what I believe: He knows from life experience what winning an Oscar so very young might do to a child her age. I believe he thought that it would change her childhood in a very drastic way, and because he cares so much about her, he hoped that would not happen---fully believing that if she continues acting there might certainly be other opportunities for her to win this coveted Award....and also knowing, (and rightfully so), that she has only one shot at her childhood years.


Then, we have the beautiful extremely talented Beyonce, watching as her dear friend Jennifer Hudson said a few words after winning her Best Supporting Actress award.... She sang and was incandescent....This young woman has a huge career ahead of her, no question! I love dear Peter O'Toole sitting behind her listening as Ms. Hudson spoke....one wonders if he will get another chance at an Oscar at this point in his life....He was sublime in "Venus", utterly sublime.

I loved this next picture....all those "spots" dancing in our eyes in that beautiful Kodak Theatre.... I don't care that it is not a clear picture...it sets a mood for me and in this case, that is very exciting....And here below, are two people I just adore! I was crazy about "Something's Gotta Give" and I think Diane Keaton is really crazy about that adorable Jack Nicholson....And I don't blame her. Years and years ago, Jack was in Theatre West...He was just about the cutest guy you'd ever want to see....he worked a lot there and I spent a bit of time with him. I have always admired him as an actor...and Ms. Keaton, well, she is, as they say, an 'original'. Both so incredibly talented...it was perfect that they were the presenters of The Best Picture Oscar....both being Oscar winners themselves and now kind of 'the elders' in the acting category who are still working, I'm happy to say.

My favorite dress of the night? Here it is, and the lovely actress wearing it, Ms. Penelope Cruz. I thought it was just gorgeous. Elegant in every way. A beautiful color and so feminine, too...And what a lovely actress. This year was the International Year of The Oscars. So very many country's were represented....There was a whole Mexican contingent....particularly the 'three amigos', Guillermo del Toro, (writer/director/producer of "Pan's Labyrinth"), Alejandro Gonzalez Inarrito, (director/producer of "Babel"), and Alfonso Cuaron, (director/producer of "Children Of Men").....These three boyhood friends from Mexico, all help and support each other on their films and, in fact, Cuaron was one of the Producers of "Pan's Labyrinth"....between them their three pictures had 16 nominations and 4 wins, which is pretty fantastic!

And in the picture above, the lovely Jodie Foster, who introduced the 'In Memorium' section which is always a very moving tribute to those people in the film industry who have died during the year....one forgets sometimes the many talented people we have lost and this is a very lovely reminder....

And here is another shot of that wonder of wonders, Clint Eastwood, as he spoke about Morricone....

I love seeing the Kodak Theatre from this angle, and right there in the center is The Morricone family sitting in their private box during the show....This is certainly a very beautiful theatre....and so very many productions of every kind come from their, and I have the street-closure email alerts to attest to that! (lol)

Here below is a picture I found on the internet of the Red Carpet, before almost anything took place that afternoon....
It is quite amazing, because you can see some of the bleachers, too, where the fans line up sometimes days before to be sure to get the seats there.....and below, another picture I found..... The famous chef Wolfgang Puck, who does all the food for The Oscars including, here serving some appitizers before the show....An amazing amount of food is prepared and consumed at this yearly happening....

I took a few pictures of the Renaisance Hotel that night.. This hotel is right next to The Kodak Theatre on Highland Avenue, and I am sure many people from out of town connected to The Oscars stayed there because of the convenience....Here is how it looked, after the show was over.... And below, a closer look at that round section on top...Years ago when this was a Holiday Inn, (yes, it was indeed a Holiday Inn) that round part on top was a s-l-o-w-l-y revolving restaurant....I ate up there once because I wanted to see if I could see my house from there....I could.I have no idea if it is still a restaurant, (I don't think it is...), but if it is, do you suppose they were partying up there, too? It sure looks like something interesting was going on up there....And then I took a general far away shot of Hollywood and what it looked like that night....And here it is below.... The bright spot over there on the right is where the Red Carpet was and also The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, which is all lit up. Right in the very center you can just about make out the round top of the hotel with those blue lights all around it....this was taken from my deck, of course.

And one last slightly closer look at the city of Hollywood at night from my deck on the night of The Oscars...... See that pool down on the right side of the picture? That is the pool of the home that took quite a long time to be renovated---like two years---and the people now own it have now finally moved in....And it turns out I know one of them...! A Real Estate guy who has done very very well, from the looks of it. I will leave you with a lovely close-up of of that pool, as it looks every night now. Very very pretty, I must say....





More To Come.....









29 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

so fabulous! i also agree what an Oscar might do to young child if she wins the award. But being nominated is a huge honour as well.

The Versace made gown of Penelope Cruz is hot but I loved the Nina Ricci dress as well Nicole Kidman's Balenciaga dress! love it!

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 3:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That must have been wonderful I watched a little too. The Germans were very happy about this director (I forgot his name) who winned an Oscar for the best foreign movie.

BTW I came here to tell you that there is no access to your profile. I clicked on your link in Mar's blog and got this : "enable access to your Profile".
You probably switched over to Bloogle Glogger and forgot to change your settings.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 4:06:00 AM PST 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Wow, great pictures and great reporting. I've been here in silent mode this past week or so. I've always loved the Oscars and would love to attend one day and see "the show" up close. My favorite parts are the gowns on the red carpet and in memoriam. It seems like the only time the average viewer gets to know a little bit about the people behind the scenes.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 5:55:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Diane and Jack do have such chemistry. I remember seeing her years ago on a deodorant commercial wearing a running suit and thinking, she has IT. It ws good to see Jody Foster, who I never hear much about. I enjoyed the whole event! Thanks for documenting it.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 6:29:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I agree with you, Naomi. THAT is what Alan Arkin meant. And rightfully so.
But leave it to the media to try and twist his concern for her and the actual meaning.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 7:01:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Awesome pictures from your balcony! How exciting it must be to be so close to the "action". I bet the air is electric all over town :)

I totally got what Alan Arkin was trying to say and I absolutely agree with him and you. There is no reason for her to grow up any faster than she has to.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 8:54:00 AM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Alan Arkin is so right. Just look at what young fame has done to the crop of twenty somethings out there right now. I also heard him say that he refused to film those sequences in which his character used foul language in the little girl's presence. Speaks volumes to his character.

I took my mom and dad to see Amazing Grace this week. It was very well done, probably won't get much mention or air time around the country as it isn't a big blockbuster... but Albert Finny played John Newton, who penned the hymn. I did not know that he had captained a British slave ship before leaving that for the clergy. My folks were interested as the college they went to, Asbury, was affiliated with the film.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 9:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I can't imagine a 2 year renovation. I don't want to. lol

Those are absolutely lovely night time photos, esp. the one of the Renaissance. The lighting. I never tire of sparkling city lights.
And that dress WAS amazing!
~S :)

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 11:42:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton are simply marvelous! You know, the older Mr. Mar gets, the more he looks like Jack N with sunglasses on...it sounds promising, doesn't it?? lol!
The Spaniards were the most surprised people to hear about nominee Penelope Cruz, I truly haven't cared about her work but it seems she is getting better.
Yes, that little girl should enjoy her childhood years without an "adult" prize!
Loved your glamorous post, my dear !

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 11:46:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Ooohhhh, what grand pictures Naomi!! That Abigale Breslin is a cutie!! I'd say Alan Arkin was right.

Love those pictures you took at night too. That pool is really pretty!! And the city....BIG city!!

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 1:19:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

How exciting this all is for you - living right there! And you did GREAT with your night photography! I have to admit - of course - I didn't watch the Oscars. I did check out some of the dresses the next day on line -- Penelope's was not my favorite. I forget now who's it was that I did really like --- I know it was fairly simple... but I thought exquisite.

I just LOVE Jodie Foster! I don't think that girl gets nearly enough credit for her talent and abilities! And she is such a SMART young lady! (well ... I guess not quite so young anymore...)

It's funny you were talking about that restaurant on top of the hotel. There was one on the building ACROSS from my hotel in Rochester last weekend -- no longer in operation. There used to be one in San Antonio - that was no longer in operation when I visited there a couple of years ago! And there used to be one in New York CITY that is also no longer operational! Do you suppose that was just some FAD of the past? It seems every time I take the kids on vacation somewhere we here of one - but when we go to try it out we find out - oh it USED to be - but not anymore! It's sad....

Our goodies arrived in the mail today -- My two top posts are them!

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 2:42:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

This is just fabulous - really - thanks for sharing this report and the lovely pics - almost like being there. Wish I could one day. Maybe when they nominate the best Norwegian blogger LoL!
Wishing you the very best end to your week:-)

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 3:08:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

THERE'S A LOT TO BE SAID FOR A "DECK WITH A VIEW". GREAT SHOTS OF THE STAR STUDDED HOLLYWOOD NIGHT.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 3:28:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It must have been a very clear night when you took the photos, Naomi. They are beautiful! I love the shape of that pool.

Jack and Diane are legends and I have always loved them both. It was good to see them together once again!

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 5:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That dress was stunning!!!

Maria

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 6:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, you are Oscars obsessed!!!
I have to agree that Clive Owen is a fantastic actor and delightfully yummy!

Michele sent me today.

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 1:27:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Thank you for that. Lucky you knowing Jack N when he was young and lovely. I fell for him in 'Easy Rider'.
I saw'Notes on a Scandal'yesterday and am doing a post on it tomorrow.DV

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 3:12:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Of course Michele sent me. I'm getting old!

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 3:14:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Just being in the entertainment industry has changed Abigale Breslin's life drastically. A girl that age should be playing with kids her own age, acting in school plays, not hanging out with adults at a movie set or the Oscars. How many child stars do we know of that are sane? Hopefully her parents are not the type that are pushing her in this direction for their own personal glory.

Jack Nicholson can be a 100 years old, and he'll still be the man!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Lady! Have a nice weekend!

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 4:24:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I loved seeing Jack and Dianne together...both favorites of mine.

I agree with Alan...it does more harm than good for kids to win such awards so early and sometimes it can actually be the end of their careers. I haven't seen that little Haley fellow doing much. Didn't he win for the "I see dead people movie."? It may have been a Golden Globe.

Love the photos and the summary! I thought Nichole Kidman's dress was one of the prettiest. And I liked the purple dress on Reese Witherspoon.

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 5:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Very fantastic presentation of your photos. I agree with you with the dress. Indeed it is great and that woman is sure very pretty. It just fits her.
Thanks for the visit.

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 5:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I have so enjoyed your posts on the Oscars! Wonderful commentary of a wonderful event.

I agree with what you adn Alan Arkin said - one shot at childhood is all you get and it certainly shouldn't be tainted in any way. I am sure she has other nominations ahead of her!

Here from Michele's today :-)

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 9:45:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Visiting from Michele's, and in time for some really gorgeous pictures. Thanks so much for this neat perspective that I'd never get otherwise.

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 2:07:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Just a last peek before saying good night. I wonder how Penelope managed to sit in that gorgeous gown?
I have a balcony but the view I look down on is rather more mundane than yours:)

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 3:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Well that has to be the best coverage of the Oscars I've ever seen. I didn't watch them on TV and to be perfectly honest, I have not kept up on them at all. I am therefor doubly appreciative to have the privilege of seeing them through your eyes.

Michele sent me.

Mike

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 3:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Is that pool in the shape of a lemon?? I am sooo jealous that you used to work alongside the ever gorgeous Jack Nickolson. There is something about him that makes me grin a devillish grin! Hehe...

Great round up of the Oscars, thank you! I felt like I was right there with you, especially when you post photos that you took on the night from your house. Thanks again.

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 6:47:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I can't thank you enough for letting us know about the movie "Somethings gotta give". We Loved it!
Fabulous post sweetie, fabulous!
Have a fantastic weekend!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 8:20:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You always manage to create absolute magic with words and photos, Naomi. I thought I had seen the Oscars when I watched them on television. But then I saw them through your eyes and realized what I had missed on the small screen.

Lovely, as always. Michele sent me, but I'd have come on my own: I can't get enough of your life's vision.

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 11:24:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for the photos.
I seriously think every city needs a revolving restaurant or two. The one atop the Holiday Inn. . . I've heard of it before, and it seems so wonderfully tacky. If it's not open anymore, it should be.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 at 7:48:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.