Wednesday, December 14, 2005


SHAMBALA

At this time of year we all get so many things in the mail asking for money...it's almost obscene, in a way. I know all of these Charity's are very worthy and all are in great need, but....but....this end of the year thing is overwhelming. I probably get 10 of these kinds of letters a day, and most I just toss, because either I have given what I can already, or, I'm just not able to give to everyone...I mean, who is?

But I find that I lean towards all the Animal one's almost more than any other at this time of year....especially, the smaller organizations that really need my help more than some of the huge one's. Shambala Preserve, is just such a one...I don't know if any of you are familiar with this but the actress, Tippi Hedren started this preserve in 1972 and it's on eight acres of land out in an area about 40 miles north of Los Angeles called Acton. Miss Hedren lives right there on the property and this preserve is a habitat for endangered exotic big cats. There are African Lions, Siberian & Bengal tigers, leopards, servals, mountain lions, bobcats, a lynx, a Florida Panther, a snow leopard and an amazing cheetah...Shambala is maintained by the Roar Foundation, Miss Hedren's Foundation. This is truly an amazing place and the animals there are protected and live out their lives in an environment close to what would be a natural environment. None of them could survive in the wild, and almost all have been rescued from sure death. This place is maintained with funds raised in a number of ways, but the bread and butter way is from people such as you and I, giving, or adopting, or going on Safari there, or just generally supporting with donations throughout the year. If you are able to visit this fantastic place, it is an experience that you will never forget.

A few years ago I did the Weekend Safari. You make reservations either on the Saturday or Sunday of Safari Weekend, and then all the people are given an extensive tour of the entire preserve. It's really awesome. Here is a picture of a couple of the lions about to get a treat...You can see the guy in the photo is just about to throw this big bone over into their very very large living area...And they know it! These animals are not petable at all. Only the people who work there are able to feed them or see to their medical needs. But they are fascinating to visit and enjoy from a safe distance.

They have a wonderful program there where you can adopt an animal. What that means is, you send a certain amount of money for one month's care, or if you can afford it, for one year's care. And, you can go visit your Lion or Tiger, or whatever you choose, on one special Saturday a month, set aside just for adoptive parents....and you bring your Lion a BIG BONE, as a treat. (The meat counter guy in Ralph's market had quite a time getting his mind around me needing a femur bone...) For two years I adopted a Lion named Nigel. I wish this was a better picture..but it's all I could get....He was a very noble fellow. And he wasn't the prettiest of all the lions, but I decided on him because he had never been adopted....and that touched my heart.

That was about 5 years ago. And I recived the Shambala Newsletter a few months ago and learned that my Nigel had died. I cried. These animals crawl into your heart just like your little kitty's do. But, he lived a good life at Shambala and it was a life he never would have had, without this wonderful place.

Do go read about Shambala because I cannot possibly do it justice. You may just decide to send them a small donation for this end of the year Christmas Season-2005.







17 Comments:
had this to say:

It does sound like a good organization.

I'm a big sucker to donate to animal charities and things for old people. I think visiting the nursing home when my Mom worked there has wired me that way.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 5:11:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Ahhhh, what a good charity to give to. I must admit I get swamped with the mail wanting me to give and it's impossible to give to all, so I must choose a few, but it's hard to decide sometimes.

Great post as usual Naomi! (I see what you meant about the pictures being where you intended them!).

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 7:30:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

We had a large article in our local newspaper about Shambala and Tipi Hedren a couple years back. So many of our movie stars have such a love of animals great and small and do so many good things for the cause! Doris Day, The golden girls and the list goes on and on! It is heart warming.
I donate to the smaller domestic sizes. I don't know if I could afford the larger animals. What did it cost you to support your addopted lion? Your lion looked like he could have eaten my weight in food everyday! Sad to hear that this beautiful lion passed away, but he could not have had a better life than there at Shambala!

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 8:35:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Is Patrick up for adoption?!

I love it when people use their lives to benefit others.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 9:07:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Good for you, I too support animal charities the WWF and the RSPCA.

http://www.wwf.org.uk/

http://www.rspca.org.uk

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 10:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

chickie--that's terrific!

rachel--Yeah! this one is better and the next BIG one..I'll only know when it gets posted..but, I think it's better, too. Shambala is a wonderful plce...and so in need...

faira--Good to see you again! At that time it was $75 for a month, and $900. for the year. I had to stop, unfortunately, because I could no longer afford it, but I still send them the occassional small donation...anything is so very appreciated. And yes, so many well known people are very involoved with animals...
Another charity I support is, Actors & Others For Animals, also been around for over 30 years. Earl Holliman is President of it and they do wonderful work, assisting oldeer people with animals who cannot afford to do many things for their animals and they have a huge spaying and neutering program, again, helping to pay for this to anyone whocannot afford it...Betty White is very active in this one, too...

colleen--as far as I know, all the animals are up for adoption and in some cases have mutiple adoptive parents... Yeah...it's what it's all about, isn't it? Hekping and giving back where you can...

dave--thanks Dave...I support The Wildlife Foundation and a number of others on a very small scale...but my theory is, every little bit helps, you know? And, good for you, too.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 10:14:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a neat organization. Nigel had a happy life, I'm sure.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 1:41:00 PM PST 

Blogger TLP
had this to say:

Sounds like a good thing to donate to.

I give to all that I can, but my passion is the Food Pantry where I volunteer. I can't stand the idea of hungry little kids.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 1:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I sure would like to do that safari! I love to go to zoos and animal preserves.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 2:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I remember seeing a piece done on Shambala on one of the news programs, Primetime, or something like that. It is a worthy charity!

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 2:39:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Good evening, OOLOTH, yes, I did have trouble getting in to Michele's site today. But it is okay now, as you know.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 9:37:00 PM PST 

Blogger Gel
had this to say:

Defintely a good charity. I adore animals but have never been there. There are certain places I give or make things for every year and others I "alternate years." Terrific post. I'd love interaction with those type of animals. One of my nicknames...well I might post about that ;)

Thursday, December 15, 2005 at 5:40:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I have seen Shambala several times on different tv shows. I am always amazed by the interior of Tippis house all done up in lion and leopard and other big cat motif LOL
She is still such a stunning woman ( in fact I think she looks better then her daughter lol)

Friday, December 16, 2005 at 11:44:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Michele sent me to see you again today (Saturday), Naomi.

I'd not heard of Shambala before, OOL. It sounds like a very worthy endeavor for Tipi Hedren to involve herself in. For her to be doing this for over 30 years shows a continuity that is often lacking in charitable activities.

Saturday, December 17, 2005 at 12:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

We belong to a pig club & give regularly to pig rescues. People who can take in unwanted animals (and humans) are top notch, as far as I'm concerned.
How sad that Nigel died. :(
I'm glad though that he had someone like you who loved & adopted him & Shambala to take care of him.
You've got such a geniune loving heart.

Saturday, December 17, 2005 at 6:53:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

i remember seeing something on this...great charity.

here via michele

Saturday, December 17, 2005 at 9:10:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

hi naomi! yes, this does sound like a truly noble and worthwhile cause. and for this preserve to be in the middle of an industry where certain celebrities glamorize the wearing of fur is ironic. tippi hendren truly is a remarkable woman! :)

Sunday, December 18, 2005 at 1:43:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.