Monday, November 17, 2008
"hollywood forever"

The old Hollywood Cemetery, now known as "Hollywood Forever", is one of my very favorite places in Los Angeles.....It is in the very heart of Hollywood....Paramount Pictures and RKO Pictures are right behind the Cemetery, going south.....A lot of Hollywood Royalty is buried here. Cecil B. DeMille, Marion Davies, Rudolph Valentino, Harry Cohn, the man who started Columbia Pictures. Norma Ralmadge, Tyrone Power, to name just a few. And there is this very sweet pond where there are lots and lots of Birds....above, these are just two of The Ducks that swim around and as you can see and would have heard had you been there, ...they Quack, too! Delightfully so, I might add.....My friend Shawn was here last week for a visit, and he took me for an "outing" through Hollywood and then to this special special place, by my request. Here above you can see a part of the lovely pond....In the middle is a rather large Mausoleum that has a kind of Bridge-Path to the locked door, and it sits there like a little Island.....And you can see some of the ducks swimming around....And here below, a slightly closer look at the Mausoleum and the Pond and those very sweet Birds. But let's get even closer to some of these very dear birds...... On the back side of the pond there were quite a large group of birds swimming towards a woman sitting near the edge of the Pond, feeding the birds..... And below, looking a little bit closer at this dear group.......
And below, here is the woman who, by the time I got this picture, had finished feeding them and many of them were on their way back to the water, but there were still quite a few picking up the Bird Seed and whatever else she had brought for them to eat...... There are lots of little Mausoleums dotted all around this Cemetery, like the one this lady above is sitting in front of. And Benches too, and lots of trees.....Many Very Tall Old, Stately Palms, as well as other trees, too..... This is the front side of the separated Mausoleum, and you can see the little Bridge-Path that leads to the entrance.....In the distance, you can actually see The Hollywood Sign. Unfortunately it was rather overcast the day we were there.....But, here below is a little closer view of The Sign..... As you can see, there are Italian Cypress there in the Cemetery...They are very popular here in Los Angeles.....And here below, one more closer look at history! Maybe one day, soon....When it is not overcast and when it is a bit earlier in the afternoon, I will be able to get a better picture of The Hollywood Sign, and the Cemetery itself......And here below are two very famous Hollywood Icons Crypts. First, Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. This is probably the largest single piece of land in Hollywood Forever, after the area of the Pond and Mausoleum that belongs to a family....Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. was a Silent Film Star during the time when the word "STAR" was coined.....He was married to Mary Pickford, another very famous Silent Film Star, and they were the most famous couple of their day. As famous as Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, today.....I've always thought this was a very beautiful and simple monument and most appropriate for a man of Fairbanks stature. And below, a little closer look at the Profile in Bronze...... I believe his son, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., is buried here, as well. Junior was a big star during the 1930's and early 1940's, too...Both Fairbanks were known for their "Swashbuckling" Films......And next......
The very first time I came to the Hollywood Cemetery was in May, 1961. I had moved to Los Angeles on February 1st....so I had only been here a little over three months, when my dear friend and Soul Mate, Sammy Reese, brought me here to this incredible piece of Hollywood History....And I loved it! That day, when we came in to see Rudolph Valentino's Crypt, there was a huge Horseshoe of Flowers leaning against the wall that houses this incredibly Beautiful Stained Glass Window, right next to Valentino's Crypt. It said: "HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUDY, MAY 6th"......We were there just a few days later, so the flowers still looked pretty good. Here below is that Stained Glass Window.I love that you can see the reflection of this window on the Marble of the Crypts lining the walls on both sides of that area where there floor to ceiling Crypts.....Do click on all these pictures so you can see them bigger....And below, a slightly closer look at the window, itself......It is just a little closer, but you can still see the reflection on the right.
I will do one more post about Hollywood Forever and concentrate on a closer look at some of the lovely sweet birds, in and out of the water......







More To Come........







39 Comments:
had this to say:

The Hollywood Cemetery is a gorgeous place, so serene and peaceful. I love those really tall palm trees. If I'm ever in LA, it's a place I'd love to visit, just to stroll through the grounds and pay my respects to the occupants. And I'd probably take a bag of stale bread along, just to feed the ducks!

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 4:31:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful photo's Naomi! Strange you would speak of Douglas Fairbanks as I have a book on Mary Pickford in my "to be read" pile, which I am looking forward to reading soon!
Also, I have, what I hope is a Douglas Fairbanks Jr autograph in my collection. (one never can be sure when it's received by mail and not in person.. but I choose to believe it's real!) :o)

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 4:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wonderful photos, as usual, Naomi. I love the stained glass window!

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 5:20:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That is a beautiful cemetary.....I can see why you like to go there.. Do you ever feed the ducks?

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 5:46:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

So glad you got out on an outing like that. I love duck ponds and the whole place feels peaceful and reflective. The Fairbanks site with the pond is exquisite.

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 6:16:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Very lovely photos. That looks like such a peaceful place.

Kendra

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 6:48:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The is something very beautiful about the old cemetaries/burial places that really honor the dead with monuments and garden space...

Those were lovely, and such fitting tributes to the great movie stars. Douglas Fairbanks' above ground marble memorial and the pond, the stained glass window for Rudolph Valentino...

I've always wondered what Elizabeth Taylor will do when her time comes...

Quack, quack !

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 7:15:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You are so lucky to live in such a wonderful "neighborhood" surrounded by Hollywood both old and new!

Love the stained glass window.

That photo looks like you went inside. Do they let the public inside the buildings?

I love walking in cemeteries - I know I'm strange but in the South, where we vacation alot, the tombstones are so interesting. Nothing like famous Hollywood personalities, of course, but interesting just the same. Some date back to before the Civil War, which is the period of history I read and write about most.

What a great outing you had.

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 7:41:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for taking us on this outing with you. I thought this place looked so serene and beautiful. I can see why it would be a favorite spot of yours!

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 9:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I can almost hear the duck in that top photo, his beak is open so wide :)

wonderful tour of Hollywood Forever - what a beautiful place.

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 9:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hollywood Forever is the perfect name for this cemetery. I love the trees and benches that surround it, not to mention the beautiful ducks. Through your words and photos, I feel as though I've been there. The Hollywood sign in the background gives it a nice touch. Thanks for sharing this permanent home to the stars, Naomi!

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 10:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a lovely place Naomi!! It's so pretty and looks so peaceful with the benches and the lovely trees and flowers. Love the ducks! I'll bet they are well fed!

I looked up the bio of Rudy Valentino. His real name is a mile long!! He had a short but active life from what I read!

Great post Naomi!! Hugs to you and Sweetie!! XXX

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 12:47:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Your cemetery pictures are MUCH warmer and full of life than mine, Naomi! I guess that'll teach me to shoot on a cold, gray and windy day.

These have such a vibrant tone to them. No surprise, as you capture the spirit of a place better than virtually anyone I know.

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 1:17:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I must visit there next time I come to southern CA which will be sometime in January. I will email you details.
It looks like such a beautiful place.
It's neat to see the resting place of Douglas Fairbanks Sr. after recently having seen the documentary about the life of Mary Pickford and what huge stars they were.

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 3:30:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I find cemetaries fascinating. Thanks for the tour!

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 5:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It is beautiful and opulent in a tasteful way. Full of history and stories. Though the cemetaries here are full of history and stories they are so different looking than the Hollywood Cemetary. :)

I loved these photos Naomi. thanks for sharing them along with your interesting commentary. I always feel like you're my persona guide. I love it.

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 5:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I've never been there, but someday I'll have to do it. I remember Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. He was quite dashing! I even remember him growing old --always the charming gentleman in interviews!

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 8:44:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a beautiful place. The stained glass window is wonderful. I also love the reflection on the marble. The cemetery is as much a place for the living as it is for the dead.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 4:59:00 AM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Yesterday I saw a gorgeous and magnificent bald eagle swoop down and land on the golf course in our neighborhood! He looked so regal sitting there with the ducks swimming in the pond! This is the first time I've seen one in our small area of Va.

I hope the fires are not ANYWHERE near you! Take care with all the smoke!

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 5:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I have visited this a few times and always found it so peaceful and relaxing. It feels like a slice of history, right before your eyes. Love the photo of the stained glass window, nice reflection effect Naomi.

-Rick

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 5:52:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

What a beautiful place and lovely shots as always! Water seems so thick in the first picture, it's a gorgeous shot.
Never thought I could ever see Valentino's crypt!
Blogging is full of surprises :)

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 7:09:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I love visiting cemeteries - my favourite is Pere La Chaise in Paris but Hollywood Forever is a very special and peaceful one. I'd love to visit it.
Valentino - Woooooooow!
Douglas Fairbanks Junior - as I'm sure you know, spent a lot of his life in the UK and was treated like royalty. He was quite naughty I believe. I look forward to the next one.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 8:43:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

A lovely place Naomi. How are you with the wildfires? Safe i hope!

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 9:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi hope you are okay, i've been meaning to come by and at least "check"!

I love those photos and your reminisces. Have always had a fascination with cemetaries. There are some beautiful old catholic ones in North Central PA where i'm originally from.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 11:18:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Not only the legendary top tier of the film community resides at Hollywood Forever. The many artists, technicians, bit players, secretaries, guards and even janitors who dedicated their lives to making the films that have entertained the world for over a century have their place there too.

A number of my former co-workers, friends and contemporaries are there, including my first husband. The current management has made it even more wonderful by running films there at night. Whenever I go to one of those screenings, I bring a boquet of flowers (with no thorns) and leave a little for each of them

the fat lady

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 4:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thank you for the good wishes during our fire. The stained glass window is breathtaking. Thank you for sharing. I usually have difficulty feeling fondly about palm trees- so many are not trimmed of there dead fronds. It is nice to see the ones on the grounds are properly groomed. So important when hot embers go flying.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 9:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love visiting cemetaries, and by the other comments I am not alone in this. This one is so very different from any I have been to and makes me want to come down to see for myself.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 10:36:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow. What an impressive place. I love ducks. Sweety's new workplace has a pond and ducks are starting to come over! :) I've always liked checking out cemeteries. It's interesting to see who's there and wonder what their life was like.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 4:28:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Like many others who have posted today, I also like to visit old cemeteries. I've told my family that when I die, I want my tombstone to be a little stool for them to sit on when they visit me so that they don't have to just stand there looking uncomfortable...crazy, I know.
Oh, the place in the Pocono's that we stayed at is Pocono Palace - it's one of the Caesar's Resorts in Marshall's Creek, PA.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 5:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Those photos were gorgeous. I love old cemeteries. I have not been to that one but was to Westwood many years ago. I think that's the right name. Marilyn Monroe was interred there in a mausoleum a lot like that photograph in Hollywood cemetery.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 6:22:00 PM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Call me strange, but I love most cemeteries. The older the better, I'm a history buff and have a great imagination. If I'm not wondering about the people who are buried there, I'm taking pictures of the beautiful statuary or enjoying the gorgeous landscaping. *smile*

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 7:40:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I so excited!! I saw your friend Kim on TV tonight; she was in an episode of Private Practice, and although her part was small, she looked beautiful!! Please tell her that I really enjoyed that show and her part in it.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 8:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi! I have been away for so long but reading your blog again is like a breath of fresh air.
You always have the most interesting stories to tell and beautiful pictures to look at!
Looking forward to seeing you more around the blogosphere.
:o) Yaeli

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 9:28:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I've been away for a few days and am catching up.

Those gardens look beautiful. Fortunately, it doesn't appear that it is overrun with tourists destroying the peacefulness.

Cheers.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 6:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

First of all I hope the fires are very far away of your neighborhood!

Beautiful photos, Naomi! And what a nice gardens. I love the stained glass window and these ducks all around.

Thanks for your nice comment on my current post.
Have a lovely weekend!

Friday, November 21, 2008 at 6:36:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Thank you for the tour Naomi - what a lovely looking cemetery and I do love how it is called 'Hollywood Forever'. SO glad you got the opportunity to have an outing...

Friday, November 21, 2008 at 5:53:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hello Naomi! It doesn't look like a cemetery to me but it looks like an expensive park. Very nice!

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 6:27:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, I really enjoyed this and felt like I was right there beside you taking a tour. I've been to Hollywood, but somehow missed this gorgeous place. What beauty for an enternal resting place. Thanks for sharing it with us. Now....this isn't the famous Forest Lawn cemetery that Johnny Carson used to talk about, is it?
I'm also so glad that you were able to get out for such a nice outing. I can only imagine how much you enjoyed that!
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 7:06:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I've read things about Hollywood Cemetary, but your pictures have really enlightened me. Years ago I used to read stories about the original Hollywood stars. After reading this post, I want to revisit the stories of some of these people. I think I'll start with a Rudolph Valentino biography.

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 6:07:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.