Sunday, August 17, 2008
the birthday coda

So, after our delicious lunch and the opening of the presents.....And the opening of our fun gift bags......I had the Wonderful Will clear the rest of the table off so that I could do something quite special....! I have written about my dear friend Hanna's passing and everybody at the Birthday Lunch, except for one person, knew her-----some, like Betty and Lee Meriwether, knew her as long as I did.....Well, Hanna loved clothing! Particularly Costumes.....And of course, the 'costume' Jewelry to go with those Costumes..... So, I have boxes and boxes of a lot of this fabulous Costume Jewelry...These two storage boxes were brought to me about six weeks ago because she had left a lot of things, like her Jewelry, for instance, to me. So, I took the pieces that had some sentimental value for me and that I wanted to keep and put those away, hoping I would think of a way for people who knew Hanna to have the opportunity to get whatever they wanted from this amazing and incredibly wonderful cache of fun, fun, fun, Jewelry.......And, it came to me the day before Seemah's Birthday Luncheon that this was a lovely opportunity for some of Hanna's other friends to have a look at this jewelry and to take whatever they might like---for personal use as well as and for "costumes", too......So, we unpacked everything in all the boxes and bags that were inside these two very full-packed-storage boxes and laid it all out on the Dining Room Table....... There wasn't a bit of space left anywhere on the table after I got it all laid out.....Everyone had a lot of fun looking at all these fabulous things....And actually, by the time I took these pictures, after everything was put away again, a lot of the things were 'spoken for'..... Here below is a little closer look at some of these amazing things..... Hanna loved anything to do with Hearts....weather it was pins or brooches or earrings or bracelets.....If it had Hearts on it or was a Heart Shaped piece....She bought it and wore it! In this picture above, she is sitting with Ronnie Claire Edwards---a wonderful actress---at a Birthday Party of mine, sometime in the early 90's.......That Heart Pin was typical of the kinds of things Hanna loved and wore..... She even had a Heart Key Chain! You can see it sitting on the colorful box in the foreground in this picture and in the picture above, too.... Another view of more stuff....."Glitter" was very big in her wardrobe....Whether it was Belts or Necklaces or even Rings, as well as Jackets and Tops and Pants, too.....She absolutely 'loved ' glitter'.....! Above....there she is with Larry Bishop at a Theatre West Anniversary Celebration....I believe it was the 24th Anniversary.....That Glittery Tie is something I found and gave her as a Christmas Gift that year...... Here above is a closer look at the "tie".....She loved this piece and wore it a lot over the years....... Here above more stuff.....The amount of Jewelry that Hanna had was was truly overwhelming.....And this was just about one-third of it..... A closer look above at some of the Belts.....Both Bridget and Lee tried on quite a few of not only the belts but everything else, too.....Here below is Lee trying on one of the Gold Jewelry type Belts......So, Lee emptied her Gift Bag and put a lot of those goodies in her purse and put all the Jewelry things she was taking into the Gift Bag...... I was thrilled that people took so much of this great stuff....It made me feel good to know that all of these things that Hanna had loved and had left to me would be used and enjoyed by other people---Particularly people who actually knew her and loved her, too...... So, that completes Seemah's Birthday Posts.....Ending the day with all of Hanna's Jewelry was such a terrific thing to do because everyone was so happy with what they got....And I was very happy and really touched that each of these ladies will use these things....(Betty took some things for her Granddaughter and Bridget took some things for one of her daughters, I'm happy to say...) and, I am really happy that Hanna will not only be remembered for the person and the actress that she was, but that so many of the things she loved will be remembered and worn, too. They will have a further life with people who cared about her....You can't ask for more than that.






More To Come.....

Note: I have miscalculated the amount of time the Emmy voting will be taking.....I have spent three days---all day and evening, and have only finished a couple of the panels....So, bear with my lack of visits, please....I take this quite seriously and though I may have seen some of the entry's before, I watch each entry again---from beginning to end---because I cannot remember something that well that I may have watched 6 or 8 months ago or more....And it is the only fair way to judge these things, particularly within the context of each category.....I did stop tonight to watch Michael Phelps fantastic "win"....That was truly exciting, wasn't it?

So now, back to the Emmy Grindstone.....







40 Comments:
had this to say:

What a great idea you had! I'm sure Hanna would be happy that you decided to share and reminisce about the jewelry with the other ladies. Good luck with your Emmy duties. I can't wait to hear all about it in September. And I'm glad you got to see a piece of Olympic history. It was thrilling for us.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 1:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love that you did this! I really love the idea that these treasured items will continue to live rather than lie indefinately stored in a box. Your friend was a lady who I'm sure would have wanted exactly that!

All the best with your Emmy voting. What a honour, and certainly I can understand why you take it so seriously (wouldn't expect anything less!!)!!

Have a great week!

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 4:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

how great to share Hanna with everyone that way!!

ohhh I hope you enjoy all the Emmy nominations! I just think the Emmy itself is so gorgeous.. much prettier than the oscar. I held one in my hand one day (Doug Kelly, makeup artist) and simply fell in love with them.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 5:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great idea you had, Naomi! Certainly your dear friend Hanna would be happy with your idea. Loved your homage to her and these photos are priceless. Looks she had beautiful and lovely jewelry.

Thank you for your nice visiting and for the compliments to Sofia.
Have a lovely Sunday!

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 7:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What fun with the jewelry. I can't see how any of these ladies would ever want to go home.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 9:27:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great Idea! I'm sure your friend would've approved.

Cheers.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 10:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful way to remember your dear Hanna - she'll be giggling in heaven to see everyone trying on her glitz.... :-)

And now everyone has something to remember that sweet lady with :-)

ps - love the photo of her and Ronnie Claire...I loved Ronnie Claire as a child in the Waltons! :-)

cq

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 10:56:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm sure Hanna will be thrilled - your so creative.

What love gifts and stuff. My fave would be the "tie" - adorable!

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 12:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I so enjoyed looking at all the jewlery. I love heart shaped jewerly as well, and even collect heart shaped rocks which are much harder to find, lol.

What a nice way to share all of Hanna's memories with your close friends.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 1:54:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What an incredibly kind and generous thing for you to do. But then....that's the type of person you are. I just loved what you did. I don't think there's anything better than having something like that from somebody you cared deeply about. It's like Hanna will go on and be kept alive with all that wonderful jewelry that you shared. I really enjoyed seeing all of it. I know how much you enjoy doing the Emmy's, so come back to us when time permits.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 4:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

A nice idea you had, Naomi, to share Hanna's "treasures" with treasured friends.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 5:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a generous person you are... sharing all of your dear friend's costume jewellery with your birthday party revellers. And wasn't there a lot of it... all gorgeous and glittery and sparkly... what lucky friends you have!
You are such a sweet person!

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 6:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

what a great idea and I am sure that will mean a lot to your friends to have those pieces that connects them to their friend also. You shared joyously

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 8:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your parties look like sooooo much fun!

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 8:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great way to share Hanna's things! It's always nice to have something that you will actually use that belonged to someone beloved.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 9:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful party! And sharing your friend's jewelry was a lovely party favor!!!!

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 9:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How lovely. What a wonderful idea you had. Your table looks like a treasure trove of wonderful sparkly jewellery that contain so many memories for you all. I bet you had such a good time sorting through it all together and sharing these memories.

Good luck with the Emmy voting. Once you are done I have a post on both my blogs about a type of animal I know you are particulalry fond of :)

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 3:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This was a wonderful idea Naomi, to share her things with everyone. She certainly had a collection of jewelry!

What a great party!!! Thanks for sharing it with us. I had a fun time and I wasn't even there! :)

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 7:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lot you are!!

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 7:44:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Truly the ending to a terrific party. A great idea and such a generous one on your part in sharing what Hanna left to you.

I'm sure she would have approved. I somehow think she was an angel hovering over your party table and sharing the joy that everyone showed in her jewelry.

Another great party!

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 8:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

the B&W photo of Hanna with the huge pearl choker on is stunning!! What a beauty she was.

Your idea to share all her treasures was wonderful and thoughtful.

I have so much respect for how serious you are about your Emmy voting. Brava Lady :)

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 8:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm overwhelmed, all that friendship, memories and gosh: Jewelries.

Good luck with the Emmy duties.

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 9:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful way to finish your afternoon, it is great to think that Hannas jewelery will be worn and cherised.

Have fun with the Emmy voting, did the poor postman have another anerusym this year hauling all that stuff up the hills LOL

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 2:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

i notice all the comments pretty well say what i was going to ... that you are very thoughtful & generous ... what a great way to remember your friend - to let others who knew her, enjoy the things she enjoyed ... lovely ... made me smile ...

and don't get a headache from too much emmy viewing!

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 6:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi......how wonderfully bittersweet for you and your friends to share in the jewelry and accessories which obviously brought your dear friend Hanna joy.

I can only imagine how opening up those boxes and little gilt bags and placing everything on the table also opened up amazing stories and heart sharing........ laughter, tears, wistful memories for you all.

The intimacy of friendship, especially the special kinship women share through our comfort in opening up our hearts and sharing ourselves that way is so beautiful. This is what I'm thinking after having read all your posts on Seemah's special day. I daresay it was a special one for everyone who attended....... and VERY special for us to have cyber experienced the essence of it all.

you made my day..... gave me the best reason to smile i've had all day.

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 6:26:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Your post reminded me my childhood and all the times that I sorted though my grandmother's jewelry.

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 7:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That was a very sweet way to share all of her costume jewelry that way, Naomi.

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 8:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

If you have a minute, come over and see the "actress" who visited me this past week. Scroll down 3-4 posts to find her.

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 8:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am amazed by how well all these are being kept in such good condition to be shared by everyone of you.

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 11:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

We recently started getting the channel - Turner Movie Classics - I love it! I was watching "On the Town" the other night and kept thinking the taxi driver looked so familiar. Of course, it was your friend Betty - kissing Frank Sinatra too! Wow, she was wonderful. Tell her we still enjoy her work.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 5:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That looks like my kind of party! I love costume jewelry. My mom has a lot of Sarah Coventry from the 70s I like to get out and look at. I have a few of my grandmother's pieces too and sometimes I wear them just for the heck of it!

Today is Photography Day and we are to share it with those who love photography, so happy day!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 7:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, that is a lot of jewelry. How did she ever wear it all....lol Good luck with your voting and we will see you when you emerge on the other side.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 8:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your always manage to paint such rich tributes with your words and images, Naomi. Hanna would doubtless be proud that her jewellery continues to bring joy to those who wear it.

Wishing you nothing but happy Emmy thoughts!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 5:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That is wonderful that you got to share your bit of Hanna with those who loved her too.

You are truly a great friend. You obviously knew Hanna well enough to buy her gifts which she adored. Thanks for sharing.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 6:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Ah.... I love costume jewelery. She was a smart friend --she knew you'd disperse it amongst friends so everyone could have a keepsake. Well done!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 6:03:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I'll bet Hanna knew that is what you would do and would be there in spirit enjoying the fun:)

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 9:00:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

What a wonderful and generous idea to share with your friends. It was such a lovely thing to do. When I saw the "tie" I was reminded of one I had back in the 70s, only mine was made of white "pearls" - paste actually, but I loved it!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 3:45:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Remninds me of a Floyd Clothing Exchange. Ain't girlfriends grand?

Friday, August 22, 2008 at 7:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great idea, that her things can be passed on and enjoyed by her friends. I love looking at collections of costume jewelry they're so fun.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 10:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I agree... a marvelous way to remember someone... and I love the tie. ;)
~S

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 7:48:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.