Thursday, August 07, 2008
seemah's birthday - part 2

So....when we left off I was showing you some details of the plates....I have shown these glass close-up before, but it was a long time ago...So here below, a closer look at these really beautiful glasses, which were my mothers and which she used all the time....After my mother died back in 1966 and we divided all of the lovely things we had all grown up with, I got the six glasses that remained of these tumblers...... I know I have posted this before...but for those who weren't reading my blog at the time....I found six more of these beautiful glasses about 3 years later in a Thrift Shop in Cathedral City....next to Palm Springs! Talk about finding a "treasure".....! We sat down for lunch and here below was what we ate! A truly delicious Chinese Chicken Salad----Will's own recipe----And it was utterly scrumptious! He always fills the plates in this wonderfully abundant way so no one ever feels like it wasn't enough.....A man after my own heart..... And everyone was ready to tear into this wonderful salad...We had some soft rolls and butter to go with them, having had a lot of yummy appetizers to begin with.... We had all the things I asked for.....Crudites with two dips.....And a "special" Curried Chicken thing that you put on crackers that just is to die for......
And this was while Betty was showing everyone her new 'pal' Spotty....Every one's reactions were so dear and genuine..... Seemah just has the most open face...she shows her joy and surprise in a more genuine way than almost anyone I know.....And Kim and Lee come in a close second to her........ I mean look at them! I know I have digressed a little bit here...But not really! And before we get back to "lunch", here is another little Video of Betty and Spotty that is rather delightful......




Okay. Back to Lunch! (lol)Part of our hungry little group.....and then, below.....The rest of our little group, except me, because I'm taking the pictures! Dear Dianne Travis is away in Ireland with her talented husband, or she would have been here, as well....Then, before you could say, 'I'm ready for my coffee, Will'...It was there!Betty was telling a story....it appears that it was a serious story....And everyone was listening as they enjoyed their coffee...... And then....it was time for The Cake! Ahhhhh, yes, The Cake. This time I had Will get this unbelievably delicious Lemon Meringue Cake.Trust me, it is like 'Angel C*m' and it truly melts in your mouth. It has some wonderful crackly crunchy stuff in it, too....Seemah loves it---well, in truth, I don't know anyone who has ever had it that doesn't love it!Seemah was in Hogitty Heaven! I mean she was so happy that I had arranged for this Lemon Cake, she was---as they say---beside herself! I was thrilled that she was so enthusiastic....I had made the right choice! Hooray!And it looked so pretty. It only had Four candles on it...he left of the Eighty......! And we all sang Happy Birthday to her in lovely Harmony.With only our Candles on this beautiful Cake, it was much easier for Seemah to blow out the candles..... And don't you know, Seemah only blew out three of the candles....lol....I love the look on her face....And above is a picture of what this fantastic cake looks like when it is cut....Will said he could take that top piece of chocolate off 'in tact' and Seemah could take it home, in tact....But she said no, she wanted to share it with everyone, (she is a lovely generous person, who understands about Chocolate Needs.....). So, Will cut it up in 8 pieces, giving the largest piece to the Birthday Girl herself!
Perfect!







More To Come.........



Note: Part 3 will be coming along very soon.....and for anyone who missed Part 1, just scroll on down.....







31 Comments:
had this to say:

As always, everything is so gorgeous!.. and I'm not sure who's having more fun.. Betty & Spotty or the Birthday girl! lol You ladies just have way too much fun!

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 3:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Seemah is just amazing for being 84! No one would ever guess that! She was sweet to share the chocolate. (pun intended)

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 5:14:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi:

Your mother's blue glassware set is absolutely gorgeous! And lucky you, to find more matching glasses in a thrift shop! (I personally love thrift shops)

Beautiful pictures and lovely presentation. You are truly the consummate hostess who excels in throwing wonderful parties!

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 6:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

One of these days I'm gonna be a Lady Wot Lunches..... :-)

Wow - Will did you proud, didn't he? What a delicious lunch and that cake sounds to DIE for.....

And I saw those beautiful flowers from Lucy's garden.....

I love that you surround yourself with all these wonderful people - I'm finding that a perk of getting older, making sure you are surrounded by people who love you and who you love, and not worrying about those who don't....

cq

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 6:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I just love Betty and Spotty, for some reason they are my favorite duo....lol.

Your moms crystal is beautiful and it goes well with the china....Yummmmm I love Chinese food. The cake looks wonderful and I can almost taste it here.

You are really sweet to treat all of your friends on their birthday. I wish you lived near me so that I can get spoiled too.

PS. Have fun with Jamie Dawn. Tell your brother Hello from KE5KIO.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 7:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Party girls.....all of you! xx

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 7:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love how you share your special days this way. We might not get to be there but we can vicariously enjoy it also. You all are so lucky to have such strong, long-time friendships

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 9:06:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Those blue tumblers are simply wonderful!! I love the way you allow us to share the fun of this bday lunch!!

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 10:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

absolutely, delightfully perfect ... *smiling* ... your friends are the blessed ones, to have you orchestrate these events ...

and the blue glasses!!! wow!

thank you so much for sharing, i really enjoyed the pics and your description ... :o)

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 1:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The blue glasses are so pretty, that was a wonderful find in the thrift shop when you bought six more! I find thrift shops very appealing.... I find it impossible to walk by without going in for at least a lttle peek!
The luch party looks like fun. The food was yummy and that cake... I bet it was heavenly.
So nice to see all the ladies enjoying themselves.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 2:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the look of Seemah's face when the cake arrived. And no wonder ... it looks like an amazing cake!

Looks like you gals had fun :)

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 5:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi......what joy in the beautiful faces of your friends. I love your posts on your luncheon parties. Happy Birthday Seemah....

Happy Days Naomi.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 6:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a scrumptious yummy looking cake!
~S

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 6:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

P.S. I've said it before, but those glasses are the most beautiful shade of blue glass I've seen!
~S

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 6:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Always a pleasure to check in. I always feel as though I'm at the party with you and your friends! I love the glassware --just gorgeous and so is the china. I hope you use them everyday!

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 11:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your description of the cake made me laugh outloud Naomi!!! It looks heavenly.

Another delightful post, with the cute Spotty included.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 11:46:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I can't believe Spotty isn't real. And I would love to look like that at 80. They say you get the face you deserve so she must be a very special lady.
It's not fair seeing all that lovely food - I haven't had breakfast yet.
Thank you for worrying about me. I'm fine - just working hard on the book.

Friday, August 8, 2008 at 12:21:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a lovely day it must have been!

You are so obviously blessed to have such great friends and they are certainly blessed to have you. Your luncheons are so well appointed and beautiful and yet everyone seems so comfortable and relaxed. Congrats to you for being the type of person people feel good to be around.

I love your posts and look forward to all your photos ... especially the ones of the cakes!! :)

Thanks so much for sharing.

Friday, August 8, 2008 at 12:35:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I've been away for a couple of days and am catching up.

Lovely party! I'm sure your friend was delighted.

Cheers.

Friday, August 8, 2008 at 5:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love finding pieces to go with my dish collection from my grandparent's or Martin's mothers milk glass when I am out in thrift or antique stores. Some have gotten way too pricey so I love finding a good deal on a treasure! Your mother's dishes are just extraordinary. No wonder you love them so much, sentimental and beautiful.

I always enjoy seeing it when the girls get together for a party!

Friday, August 8, 2008 at 11:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How beautiful!
Next time you do Ladies Who Linch, can I come? ;)

Friday, August 8, 2008 at 1:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oooops! That came out wrong!
I meant Ladies Who Lunch!! :)

Friday, August 8, 2008 at 1:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I totally need a seal!

Friday, August 8, 2008 at 6:39:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

She can't possibly be 80 anything! Who invited the puppet?!

Friday, August 8, 2008 at 7:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I just love the photo of Seemah just as the cake was being placed in front of her- the expression on her face is priceless.

Friday, August 8, 2008 at 10:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely party, Naomi! Just great to seeing all your dear friends together! So much fun! Loved all photos and the video too!

Your mother's blue glass are just gorgeous!

Saturday, August 9, 2008 at 9:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That glassware is gorgeous, love the etching.
The cake looks divine, I can never decide what I like more chocolate or lemon.
I am trying to learn lines for this online database of presenters and it is doing my head in. I used to be able to remember things lol.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 at 3:52:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a great looking cake and it sounds wonderful. I could ALmost taste it........minus the calories, of course.......lol
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Saturday, August 9, 2008 at 4:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely glasses and a beautiful cake. Seems like it was a wonderful party. I'm glad to have found you.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 8:36:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hello! I wandered into your blog from Canby, Oregon, and I believe one of the guests at your party is Betty Garrett! If I am correct, please tell her that a 77 year old retired English teacher loved her in so many movies!! What a joy to see her again.
You are obviously connected with film and stage and I'm sorry that I didn't recognize anyone else at your party, as I am sure they are all involved in the arts. I grew up in a small town in Wisconsin and only movies were available then.
I love your blog and will return from time to time. I don't have a blog, but my email is
templetv@worldnet.att.net
Thank you for sharing your beautiful home and lovely friends.
Verna Templeton

Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 11:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love that your photos captured so many genuine reactions and little moments from the lunch. When peopel can react so genuinly with each other and in suchg a relaxed way, you know they are in the company of great friends with much shared history. It is wonderful to see :)

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 4:40:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.